Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I live by the Sunshine Diet aka going Amun-Ra aka the all-yellow diet, it's easy, healthy, you probably have everything you need to get started already in your fridge

eggs
bananas
piss
pineapples
baby chicks
lemons

im trying a new diet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This guy's tree across the street got trashed by heavy snow this year and it's still all sad and hosed up.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Plinkey posted:

im trying a new diet

lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Plinkey posted:

im trying a new diet

30 says of content

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

remember that lovely chain restaurant that tried to sell a grilled cheese for like 8 dollars

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

30 says of content

quote:

Since I was a kid I’ve always enjoyed food. Watching mom cook, that enjoyment expanded to include cooking. Dad’s favorite times were when everyone got together and shared a nice meal. Now, into my adult years with a wife and kids, cooking expanded further into a way to enjoy time together and to prepare good food for people whose company I enjoy.

Along this path of cooking and eating I rediscovered something from my youth – grilled cheese sandwiches. I’d had them many times, but then at my grandma’s house one day, my aunt, Karrie, made me a grilled cheese. Instead of just throwing the bread in a heated pan, she first melted a dollop of butter in the pan and then added the bread. Upon biting into it, my eyes lit up. This was not the same grilled cheese I had experienced at the school cafeteria. This was something new entirely. The extra crunch made it all come together.

For the longest time aunt Karrie’s cheddar on white bread grilled cheese was what my mental dictionary displayed as the very definition of a grilled cheese sandwich. Then, a few years ago as I was perusing recipe ideas on some website which escapes me, I came across a recipe for a jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwich. It had never occurred to me that a grilled cheese sandwich could have something besides cheddar cheese as a filling. I tried that sandwich and suddenly I began to see new possibilities for aunt Karrie’s venerable cheddar on white. One day I was eating one of these new breeds of grilled cheese sandwiches while looking over a calendar for work. That’s when the idea hit me – a calendar of grilled cheese sandwiches! One for every day of the month! It’s genius!!

And so began Thirty Days of Grilled Cheese…

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
30 days of multihour shits

Apr 7, 2003

smarxist posted:

30 days of multihour shits

love to read

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

brugroffil posted:

Please post less

Thank you

this is an official chat thread

so no

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Plinkey posted:

im trying a new diet

what's the opposite of pride month?

shame month?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Cheese, the Basics

Cheese seems like a simple thing when you think about a grilled cheese sandwich. You just stick whatever cheese you have in there and melt it, right? That would be incorrect. There are a multitude of different cheeses out there and they all have their own unique properties. They’re almost like people. Milk-based, tasty, tasty people.

Thinking of cheese like people, picture some people that you like and some people that you don’t really care for. Some you’d like to be around and the others, well, not so much. It’s really the same with a grilled cheese sandwich. Some cheeses have a great melty-gooeyness coefficient. That’s a real thing. It’s science. Softer cheeses melt better. These cheeses are usually good candidates for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Other cheeses, the hard ones, may not work so well – at least not on their own. Take for instance Greek Myzithra (the aged variety, not fresh). While it may be great grated over a salad, on its own it’s a terrible melter for grilled cheese. Some of these work well when paired with a softer cheese.

Now, just because you pick a softer cheese does not mean it’s instantly a good choice for a grilled cheese sandwich. Keep in mind that there are a huge variety of flavors with the soft cheeses as well. On one end, you have the nearly bitter awesomeness that is aged, extra-sharp cheddar. On the lighter end, you have the super mild, also awesome mozzarella. Both work great, but they don’t blend equally as great with the other ingredients that you might pick to accompany them. Finding the right pairing of cheese, bread and other stuffings is a fine balancing act.

Favorite Cheeses

There are several cheeses I prefer to use in my sandwichery. These are my favorites: medium and sharp Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella (not the super fresh watery kind. While it tastes great it makes your sandwich soggy), Fontina, Gouda, Provolone, Gorgonzola, and Colby-Jack. I use these cheeses the most because of their flavors and how well they melt. Just because these are my favorites don’t think that excludes any cheeses you may enjoy, as long as they melt well, try them out!

Brands

Generally I would say the brand of cheese doesn’t matter. That said, I’m a big fan of Tillamook out of Oregon for Cheddars, Colby-Jack and Monterey Jack. They have several varieties that no one else makes with things like black pepper or habanero peppers added. Awesome. There are also some local cheeses that are amazing, though most of these that I liked are better suited for a cheese and cracker plate than for grilled cheese use.

Tips for Success

Practice, practice, practice! Try cutting to a consistent thickness. Cut slowly to make it easier to control your cut. Try to make your cut as close to vertical as you can. Get a good cheese knife or cheese slicer. A good tool makes a world of difference.

How Much Cheese to Use?

This depends on personal preference and the type of sandwich. For a sandwich with other stuff besides cheese inside, I usually go with 2-3 ounces. For a purely cheese sandwich, I got with 3-4 ounces. Some folks find that to be a little too cheesy. I refuse to talk to people such as these. They are downers.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Little Caesars sells a pizza called the cheeser

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

the box says cheeser! cheeser!

Apr 7, 2003

I took tomorrow off and I'm going to ride my bike.

I rode my bike yesterday too.

Lots of bike riding days.

Apr 7, 2003

I washed my cycling gloves for the first time this year and the water turned black. gross

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

the pillow guy's Q Lollapalooza just added a live jumbotron appearance by the the trumbo himself

Maga Frank. So Maga is a proper noun now and not an acronym?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I made a mojito today

haven't had one in over a year

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Leaked c-spam pamphlet speaks of a desire to educate users that they are "posting athletes" and to prepare for excess of 1000+ posts per day.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Maga Frank. So Maga is a proper noun now and not an acronym?

it's a verb too, I'll use it in a sentence for you

"I MAGA'd ur mom"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Peppered Pickle

Ingredients

1 Vlasic pickle, sliced thick lengthwise

3 oz. Tillamook® Smoked Black Pepper White Cheddar Cheese

2 slices sourdough bread

Butter spread

This is one time when the brand matters. I don’t know of any other cheese makers that make white Cheddar with peppercorns added in. If your local grocers don’t carry Tillamook cheese, well, grab your pitchforks and torches and MAKE them get it!! An alternative is to get sharp white Cheddar cheese and sprinkle fresh ground black pepper over it before you add the pickle slices. Find the Tillamook though; it’s worth the effort. Also, don’t let the name scare you; this is a surprisingly good sandwich.

Spread butter to one side of each slice of bread. Place half the cheese on the other side. Top the cheese with the pickle slices and the rest of the cheese. Add the other piece of bread. Cook at 325° for four minutes on each side. Makes one sandwich. One crunchy, slightly tart, amazing sandwich.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
took a phat maga in the terlet today

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what in the gently caress

quote:

Blueberry Brie

Ingredients

¾ cup blueberries, rinsed if fresh

½ tbsp. butter

1 tsp. agave or honey

2-3 oz. Brie (Fontina also works well in this one)

2 slices Hawaiian sweet bread

If using fresh blueberries wash and remove stems. In a skillet over medium heat melt butter and add blueberries. As color brightens and berries soften add agave or honey. Stir occasionally until some of the berries start to burst. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the opposite side spread Brie or slice the Brie and cover both slices of bread. Scoop berry mixture into place and spread evenly. Place second slice on top. Cook at 325° for four minutes on each side. Flip carefully as the gooey blueberry section will want to slide. Makes 1 sandwich.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Why go through all that trouble when you could pay $14 for a grilled cheese in LA.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Weird_Al_MPGA(Make_Polka_Great_Again).mp3

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

i would give it a try

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Plinkey posted:

Brie and Fontina are not even close from what I remember. lol.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Hatebag posted:

I think you mean trumbotron

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i downloaded this book, so now i need to try some of these

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Plinkey posted:

im trying a new diet

well you'll have to stick to potato rolls but otherwise I think that's yosher, that's yellow kosher for you yoyims out there

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

my boss won’t answer my attempts to contact him and it’s been over a month since I’ve been to work. lol I’m pretty sure I’ve been let go.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Plinkey posted:

I'd try it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Heisenberg

- Remember my name!

Ingredients

Ruffles® Cheddar and Sour Cream Potato Chips

2 oz. cream cheese

2 oz. medium Cheddar cheese, shredded

2 slices sourdough bread

Butter spread

This one takes its name from the tv series, Breaking Bad. I really enjoyed that show almost as much as I love Ruffles® Cheddar & Sour Cream potato chips. Those chips make this sandwich as ‘tight’ as the blue meth Walt and Jesse made in that show. Stay away from ATM machines when you enjoy this madness!

In a bowl blend the cream and cheddar cheese together. Butter one side of each piece of bread. Apply the cheese mixture evenly to the other side of both pieces of bread. Add a healthy helping of chips to one slice, at least 10 or 12 chips. Top with the other piece of bread. Cook at 325° for four minutes on each side. Makes one. Enjoy at your own risk.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Harton posted:

lol go live in northwest Indiana for 37 years and then tell me how you feel.

gently caress I knew something was up region guy

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Ball Tazeman posted:

my boss won’t answer my attempts to contact him and it’s been over a month since I’ve been to work. lol I’m pretty sure I’ve been let go.

trying to use ur badge to get into the building

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

that mojito really took me to flavor town, pity that limes are so expensive now

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

you guys seen what this Arby's place is doing these days?? lotta meat!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

gently caress I knew something was up region guy

starting to make sense right? Griffith son!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tacodaemon posted:

the pillow guy's Q Lollapalooza just added a live jumbotron appearance by the the trumbo himself

these people keep gathering in one place but nothing happens ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

took a phat maga in the terlet today