Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Did anyone watch the Foley documentary? Was it any good, any new insights?

I liked it actually. Not any new stories that haven't been told elsewhere but I liked the insights from Flair and Dave in particular. Very well produced too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Reginald The Sommelier has managed to make my all-time worst wrestling characters ever list. I have never ever seen him do anything good on the shows and yet he is on all of them constantly.

It really is amazing how often they make a man the focal point of the women's division.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Draxion posted:

Is he even associated with Carmella any more or is he just having matches randomly

If I'm remembering right:

He fell in love with Sasha during the Carmella / Sasha feud
Carmella fired him because of this
Nia hired him because ?????

I have no idea how we got to the point where he's fighting Shayna because I don't care enough to find out.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Carmella hasn't been on TV for a while has she? I know she passive aggressively complained about it either on social media or in an interview a few weeks back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Carmella hasn't been on TV for a while has she? I know she passive aggressively complained about it either on social media or in an interview a few weeks back.

Creative has nothing for her (again)

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Nick Jr. Face posted:

She's been putting up the number of minutes that an episode of raw has devoted to women wrestling and it's like in the single digits

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The entirety of Reginald's character and booking can be explained as "Vince McMahon thinks a little black man getting beaten up by women is hilarious".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

She wrestled Friday

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
WWE has the greatest women's roster in the world between all three brands.

The lead up to their main women's title being probably being in The Cell will be based on the champion and challenger not being able to beat Nikki Cross in 2 minutes. JFC....

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Kunabomber posted:

She's been putting up the number of minutes that an episode of raw has devoted to women wrestling and it's like in the single digits

Didn't someone recently compare times and found that one single women's match in AEW had more screen time than the entire WWE women's division got in the entire month of April combined?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Drakkel posted:

Didn't someone recently compare times and found that one single women's match in AEW had more screen time than the entire WWE women's division got in the entire month of April combined?

It was within three minutes, yeah.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vandar posted:

If I'm remembering right:

He fell in love with Sasha during the Carmella / Sasha feud
Carmella fired him because of this
Nia hired him because ?????

I have no idea how we got to the point where he's fighting Shayna because I don't care enough to find out.

Nia's a dum ding dong that doesn't take care of her holes so it tracks she'd make questionable business decisions

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

coconono posted:

Meanwhile Stokely Hathaway has started betting on dog races in catering

he manages some jobber on nxt that hasn't been shown for over a month

Nick Jr. Face posted:

she was on sd friday

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

graph posted:

he manages some jobber on nxt that hasn't been shown for over a month
she was on sd friday

that's why he's running dog race pools.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Add another pretty okay wrestling podcast to the list of reviewers no longer immediately reviewing RAW:

https://twitter.com/REALGoingInRaw/status/1399615759341395972

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DarkstarIV posted:

Add another pretty okay wrestling podcast to the list of reviewers no longer immediately reviewing RAW:

This guy on the left has some moments where he looks like a not-quite-there clone of John Cena and it's freaking me out. Like someone deepfaked Cena's face onto this guy's head but it's not exact. Is it just me?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

This guy on the left has some moments where he looks like a not-quite-there clone of John Cena and it's freaking me out. Like someone deepfaked Cena's face onto this guy's head but it's not exact. Is it just me?

No I see it too now, that’s exactly what he looks like. Weird.

It’s kind of like someone stretched Cena’s face over a smaller skull.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DarkstarIV posted:

cant blame them, raw is absolutely dire atm

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the nice canadians over at loadingreadyrun had a wrestling podcast called sidewalk slam and they burnt the gently caress out on it reviewing every wwe ppv just about when aew was starting up, and then the pandemic hit and made them even less interested in following it + they've been basically on hiatus from watching any wrestling since and will be for the forseeable future (at the very least after the pandemic)

i do hope they get back to it and maybe even only focus on aew but i also can't blame them for falling out of it, especially if aew didn't sell them on sticking with it too hard

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

DarkstarIV posted:

RAW is so bad now that the review podcast called “Going in RAW” won’t review it lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

RAW is so bad now that the review podcast called “Going in RAW” won’t review it lol

They're still reviewing it, just on Tuesdays instead of immediately after. Presumably so they can skip the majority of it because it is bad, which is a smart idea.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

graph posted:

cant blame them, raw is absolutely dire atm

The best part about that thread is the vast number of replies saying "good idea guys, Raw has been poo poo for a long time now". There are a couple of WWE stans trying to defend the show, but even then they're only doing so very half-heartedly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I cannot fathom watching an episode of Raw live

Feel free to empty quote and cross out the word “live”

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I cannot fathom watching an episode of Raw live

Feel free to empty quote and cross out the word “live”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I so refuse to watch Raw live that if I catch up to the live feed while fast forwarding (I usually start an hour late this time of year) that I just go watch something else until I have suitable padding (one hour).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Intruder posted:

The Charlotte match was somehow worse than the Rhea one too since at least Nikki got some offense in against Rhea before having the soul beaten out of her. She spent the first minute and a half of the Charlotte match running away while doing the neener neener thing including a spot where she hid behind Rhea, then as soon as Charlotte got her hands on her she started beating the poo poo out of her but didn't have time to finish

The blow off to this is going to be a three-way match where they knock her out at the very beginning of the match, beat the piss out of each other for 9 minutes, and when they're both lying prone in the ring after a high spot and she finally regains consciousness she pins one of them for the title, destroying its credibility and their credibility once and for all.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Breetai posted:

The blow off to this is going to be a three-way match where they knock her out at the very beginning of the match, beat the piss out of each other for 9 minutes, and when they're both lying prone in the ring after a high spot and she finally regains consciousness she pins one of them for the title, destroying its credibility and their credibility once and for all.

Don't be STUPID.

Reginald is gonna crawl out and pin one of them for the title.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

I just watched like 5 minutes of their YouTube show... I don't understand how people can watch these things...

Raw is pretty awful, but I just don't see the entertainment value in watching two people talk for an HOUR verbally recapping what happened on the show. This is a bit different from stuff like WOR where it's like a brief recap and then opinion, or when people just goof on how horrible it is. This show is like...straight up recap. You could literally watch the show on your DVR faster than they are describing it by just skipping to the match finishes, which is all they really describe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astro7x posted:

I just watched like 5 minutes of their YouTube show... I don't understand how people can watch these things...

Raw is pretty awful, but I just don't see the entertainment value in watching two people talk for an HOUR verbally recapping what happened on the show. This is a bit different from stuff like WOR where it's like a brief recap and then opinion, or when people just goof on how horrible it is. This show is like...straight up recap. You could literally watch the show on your DVR faster than they are describing it by just skipping to the match finishes, which is all they really describe.

It feels just like sports radio and I think that's just a very deep level of fandom. Like its that feeling you have after you've just seen a really great film or tv show or game or something that has gotten you excited and you wanna talk about it with someone. But its like every game, and every episode and every movie. Like 9 out of 10 times when I watch a game or show I can just walk away when its over and do something else. But post game shows and Talking Dead and stuff like that all cater to people who just stay engaged deeper. And it can get intense when its bad stuff but fans still feel compelled to keep watching and discussing it. And I imagine that must be what its like with these shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

the nice canadians over at loadingreadyrun had a wrestling podcast called sidewalk slam and they burnt the gently caress out on it reviewing every wwe ppv just about when aew was starting up, and then the pandemic hit and made them even less interested in following it + they've been basically on hiatus from watching any wrestling since and will be for the forseeable future (at the very least after the pandemic)

i do hope they get back to it and maybe even only focus on aew but i also can't blame them for falling out of it, especially if aew didn't sell them on sticking with it too hard

They did a couple of episodes not too long ago, and I wouldn't be shocked if they did one for DON. Adam in particular I know is just really down on the empty arena stuff, even with the wrestlers as plants.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gaz-L posted:

They did a couple of episodes not too long ago, and I wouldn't be shocked if they did one for DON. Adam in particular I know is just really down on the empty arena stuff, even with the wrestlers as plants.

the 'we're on hiatus until post-pandemic at the very least' and general not-feeling-like-wrestling-ness was something graham mentioned when he was asked during a more recent MTG stream, so they definitely didn't do one for DoN (as much as I wish they did)

maybe they'll spin one up after hearing how high everyone was on that ppv

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So here is the confirmed Takeover card so far, and then matches likely to be announced:

- NXT Championship: Karrion Kross (c) vs Johnny Gargano vs Pete Dunne vs Kyle O'Reilly vs Adam Cole

- Cameron Grimes vs LA Knight

And then matches not confirmed but likely happening based on tonight:

- NXT Women's Championship: Raquel Gonzalez (c) vs Ember Moon

- Xia Li vs Mercedes Martinez

There will probably be at least a couple more matches coming out of next week, likely a women's tag title match considering Candice is calling out Poppy (although I doubt Poppy will be wrestling).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NXT https://www.f4wonline.com/nxt-results/wwe-nxt-live-results-oreilly-vs-dunne-vs-gargano-342926

The triple threat between Johnny Gargano, Pete Dunne and Kyle O'Reilly to determine a #1 contender to Karrion Kross for In Your House opens the show and ends in a no contest when Adam Cole interferes with a chair and kicks all their asses. Eventually Cole leaves after kicking all their asses, officials and William Regal are unable to stop him
Jake Atlas defeats LA Knight (with Ted DiBiase) after distraction from Cameron Grimes; Jake's first televised NXT win since December happens the first day of Pride Month
Oney Lorcan and Austin Theory brawl backstage
Cole says in the two months he was away, everyone else proved why he remains the longest reigning NXT Champ ever; nobody else compares or can do what he's done. Kross comes out and tells Regal he wants to defend his title in a fatal five way at IYH, against all the match's contenders and Cole, so he can prove how dominant he is against what's left of NXT and so Cole can't escape an rear end-kicking. Regal makes it official, Cole tosses a water bottle at Kross and Scarlett Bordeaux
KUSHIDA issues an open challenge Cruiserweight title defense. Carmelo Hayes (aka Christian Casanova) accepts in his NXT debut
KUSHIDA retains the Cruiserweight title over Hayes. Postmatch Hayes shakes KUSHIDA's hand
The Way (Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell) defeat Zoey Stark and Zayda Ramier; Indi pins Zayda
Next week: Ember Moon vs Dakota Kai
MSK retain the NXT tag titles over Legado del Fantasma; Wes Lee pins Raul Mendoza after distraction from Bronson Reed. Grizzled Young Veterans attempt interference but Tommasso Ciampa and Timothy Thatcher take them out. Santos Escobar interferes but gets taken out by Bronson Reed

Current card for In Your House on June 13, per Wiki:
Karrion Kross defends the NXT title in a fatal fiveway against Johnny Gargano, Pete Dunne, Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole
Raquel Gonzalez defends the NXT women's title against Ember Moon
Xia Li vs Mercedes Martinez
Cameron Grimes vs LA Knight

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Short Man attacks
https://streamable.com/qmnvwc

Ember gets attacked from behind
https://streamable.com/ggl67s

Cole promo...with Kross. Cole was really good
https://streamable.com/iw4jim

Candice calls out Poppy?
https://streamable.com/ggl67s

I don't know
https://streamable.com/0w42xw

Squashed
https://streamable.com/py8d09
Tag Match Finish
https://streamable.com/k6x3p1

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 2, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SonicRulez posted:

Reginald The Sommelier has managed to make my all-time worst wrestling characters ever list. I have never ever seen him do anything good on the shows and yet he is on all of them constantly.

Has Reginald even recommended any good wines?

Seriously, if they are going to make him a sommelier, at least lean into it, and have him do wine based, or snobbishly recommending stuff things.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Chris James 2 posted:

Jake Atlas defeats LA Knight (with Ted DiBiase) after distraction from Cameron Grimes; Jake's first televised NXT win since December happens the first day of Pride Month

trevor lee is one of the only wrestlers i've ever heard use the F slur in the ring, so i'm glad he's now an Ally

Chris James 2 posted:

KUSHIDA retains the Cruiserweight title over Hayes. Postmatch Hayes shakes KUSHIDA's hand

was reading out of order and thought this was referring to the freebird and got very confused

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Instead of doing Kross vs either Cole or O'Reily or Dunne or Gargano in a singles match which could highlight the challengers strengths as they attempt to defeat the great beast (ie Walter's NXT UK title reign), WWE chooses overkill and puts on a Fatal Five Way match and burns through all the contenders on one show.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Adam Cole was great, carry-on cross keeps transposing words and clauses in a weird way.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
" Karrion Kross defends the NXT title in a fatal fiveway against Johnny Gargano, Pete Dunne, Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole"

I have no idea why but I don't buy or want any of these guys as NXT champion. The ones who are legit should've been out on NXT literally years ago, and the others are just eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh. They managed to make a five man main event and found none that are compelling winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Instead of doing Kross vs either Cole or O'Reily or Dunne or Gargano in a singles match which could highlight the challengers strengths as they attempt to defeat the great beast (ie Walter's NXT UK title reign), WWE chooses overkill and puts on a Fatal Five Way match and burns through all the contenders on one show.

They’re burning through them because the more people there are in the match, the less exposed Kross gets.