Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

When abouts? You hear she finally quit? Too many lawsuits lol

2014-17

I'm not even sure they were going to reopen, especially after this last big one came through. I think the budget cuts at Disney and the Grand really sealed V&As fate and her promotion was almost just a symptom of that.

I caught the end of Scott's watch and my god it was a different era entirely. He gave me 16 oz of pure a5 wagyy strip loin so I'd work a single double for him one night and I'd probably still be in the industry if he was still running things. I miss cooking for the celebrities and execs that came through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
30% of our reservations cancelled/no-showed tonight. I hate holidays so much.

It's technically a good thing since we were wildly understaffed, but still.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

2014-17

I'm not even sure they were going to reopen, especially after this last big one came through. I think the budget cuts at Disney and the Grand really sealed V&As fate and her promotion was almost just a symptom of that.

I caught the end of Scott's watch and my god it was a different era entirely. He gave me 16 oz of pure a5 wagyy strip loin so I'd work a single double for him one night and I'd probably still be in the industry if he was still running things. I miss cooking for the celebrities and execs that came through.

Ah you were there long after my time. I was there in 2010.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quabzor posted:

30% of our reservations cancelled/no-showed tonight. I hate holidays so much.

It's technically a good thing since we were wildly understaffed, but still.

I heard about a place that did a prix-fixe, but instead of doing reservations they "sold tickets" in advance so the restaurant got the money whether people showed up or not. You definitely need to be a destination restaurant to get away with that but it sounds brilliant if you can.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I heard about a place that did a prix-fixe, but instead of doing reservations they "sold tickets" in advance so the restaurant got the money whether people showed up or not. You definitely need to be a destination restaurant to get away with that but it sounds brilliant if you can.

This sounds like a double plus win because you get to order food for the reservations ahead of time; and if you have cancellations then the staff eats well or you come out ahead on food cost the following few days.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Skwirl posted:

Similar for our holiday brunches and new years dinner.

You buy a table for 2/4/6 and if you don't cancel 48+hrs in advance you get charged full price.

Place was nice enough that servers just rang in the meals, added the mandatory 20% and closed it to whatever special account they would have for those reservations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We have a couple local places that do this for special wine dinners and stuff, and they are well loved enough that it works perfectly for them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The tomato slicer claimed another victim today. Its thirst knows no bounds.

(Seriously, I think she probably should've got stitches, that finger was just gushing, and it hurt her so bad, I was jumping over to her station for her all day. And she's no whiner, absolute trooper, so it must've hurt. I hope she didn't cut a nerve or tendon. :ohdear: )

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The tomato slicer claimed another victim today. Its thirst knows no bounds.

(Seriously, I think she probably should've got stitches, that finger was just gushing, and it hurt her so bad, I was jumping over to her station for her all day. And she's no whiner, absolute trooper, so it must've hurt. I hope she didn't cut a nerve or tendon. :ohdear: )

Is it lack of cut proof gloves provided by the restaurant or just like "I think I'm still 20 and thus literally impervious to razor sharp blades" that leads to all these mandolin accidents? Cause in the home cook world I had exactly one of these and switch to always using the glove.... of course my entire family are horrible klutzes and my mother would cut off part of her finger while cutting hair on an annual basis despite being a drat solid hair stylist so I accepted my limits fairly early.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

captkirk posted:

Is it lack of cut proof gloves provided by the restaurant or just like "I think I'm still 20 and thus literally impervious to razor sharp blades" that leads to all these mandolin accidents? Cause in the home cook world I had exactly one of these and switch to always using the glove.... of course my entire family are horrible klutzes and my mother would cut off part of her finger while cutting hair on an annual basis despite being a drat solid hair stylist so I accepted my limits fairly early.
The blade hungers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

The blade hungers.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

captkirk posted:

I'd rather cut myself once a year than ever wear a cut glove

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

The blade hungers.

Pretty sure this has already been a thread title. But if not:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

pile of brown posted:

I'd rather cut myself once a year than ever wear a cut glove

Spoken like someone whose count for stitches isn't in the triple digits.

Wear your loving PPE folks. Nothing you're doing for a buck over minimum wage is worth risking crippling your hands because you couldn't be bothered to glove up.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Seriously, I used to be in the "why wear PPE I've done this a million times" camp.

Then I sliced the end of my thumb off anyway and although I got it reattached I never regained sensation in it.

Wear your protective equipment, it can in fact happen to you.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you're causing permanent damage with a mandoline you're doing something so wrong that I doubt a cut glove matters.

And yes I say this as an industry professional for double digit years who has had 0 stitches in my life.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 1, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

pile of brown posted:

If you're causing permanent damage with a mandoline you're doing something so wrong that I doubt a cut glove matters.

And yes I say this as an industry professional for double digit years who has had 0 stitches in my life.

the context was tomato slicers

the blades hunger

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Cut gloves are about the only thing I'm an absolute jackass about PPE, cause every one I've every worn has made my dexterity so lovely in my off hand I'm slowed way down/frustrated it's not worth it/I'm actually more at risk of hurting myself. I'll wear one if I gotta go 200mph on the slicer though, those things are mighty thirsty for your vital fluids.

nudejedi fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Our cut gloves used to mysteriously vanish but that stopped when we switched from chainmail to whatever the fiber ones are made of. I'm basically the only person who ever uses them either way.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I got to the point where I buy extra thick nitrile glove of my own to use when I'm doing anything with a razor edge. Doesn't work as well as a cut glove, but it's saved me like 10+ times from slices. It's not going to save me if I shove my whole hand in the thing but I go out of my way not to do that. Dexterity is key when you're being graded on your wafer thin tomato and onion slices. Nitrile gloves give you that and a convenient bag for your blood if you have an incident.

And only one person tried to steal some of my gloves but I appreciate him appreciating my stash so I bought him some too. They should just be something you have in your kit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Best thing about working on hot days is taking your break in the walk-in sitting on a beer keg with a cutting board on top and eating popsicles. You don't know the meaning of chill until you've done it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Republicans posted:

Best thing about working on hot days is taking your break in the walk-in sitting on a beer keg with a cutting board on top and eating popsicles. You don't know the meaning of chill until you've done it.

same, but also getting high off the nitrous from the whip cream.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I just eat the whipped cream until the crying stops.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
The crying... Stops?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Skwirl posted:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

My mind immediately rapped "gently caress you with a loaf of bread and make you cheat on atkins" when I saw this picture.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Disargeria posted:

The crying... Stops?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

FFT posted:

the context was tomato slicers

the blades hunger

Yeah, it's one of those fuckers. I'll take it over the crap mandoline we'd been using, but he is a very hungry god indeed.

We don't have cut gloves, but we've got nitrile for daaaaays. I can easily go thru an entire box in one weekend on my fry station alone, since nothing's pre-breaded frozen stuff. I dredge my chicken/fish/shrimp/oysters/green tomatoes/country fried sausage/soft shell crabs/etc on the fly.

Republicans posted:

Memorial Day was line-out-the-door from about 9:30 to 1:30, hot as balls with the sun blaring through our east-facing plate glass windows. The Big Boss finally left, making us all breathe a sigh of relief, and then we saw her van pull in again and groaned.

She had swung by the 7-11 around the corner and got assorted Slurpees for the whole BOH crew. I'm not even a Slurpee fan, but I sucked that down with the biggest smile on my face. (Plus she'd gotten a peach one; I'm allergic to actual peaches but love the flavor, so bonus treat for me!)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Had a party of 15 come in and right out the gate tell us they're in a hurry because they have a flight to catch. Yes bring your massive amount of people to a semi nice sit down restaurant when you're on a time crunch, makes perfect loving sense.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Jesus that's rude. Why wouldn't they just eat airport McDonalds? It's literally perfect food.

"Oh that's too bad. You should leave, we have no way to accomodate you today. If you had called ahead we would have warned you. We're so sorry you didn't understand your time-frame earlier. Good luck on your flight!"

Is how I hope someone handled it. I handle all the rude guests at one job and I've stopped being nice about it. People really need to start being told they're not special more.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We just laid out the expectation of speed of service and food, and reminded them that everyone here has to catch a flight, and it DIDN'T WORK LOL

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I know some people had been asking about it a while ago, so my old Ask thread about running an airport restaurant is open again here, in case anybody was interested. I'm told its a good read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Jesus that's rude. Why wouldn't they just eat airport McDonalds? It's literally perfect food.

"Oh that's too bad. You should leave, we have no way to accomodate you today. If you had called ahead we would have warned you. We're so sorry you didn't understand your time-frame earlier. Good luck on your flight!"

Is how I hope someone handled it. I handle all the rude guests at one job and I've stopped being nice about it. People really need to start being told they're not special more.

I'm not defending what they did, but without knowing more, I would guess it's two or three people at most out of the fifteen that have to catch a flight and almost all the food in an airport now is past security where you need a plane ticket to go.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh the entire squad had to catch a flight. I live in a little beach town in north Carolina so like 80% of the people here right now are from out of state.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I know some people had been asking about it a while ago, so my old Ask thread about running an airport restaurant is open again here, in case anybody was interested. I'm told its a good read.

It is a very good thread. That's a unique situation for a restaurant for sure, I don't know how you do it honestly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh the entire squad had to catch a flight. I live in a little beach town in north Carolina so like 80% of the people here right now are from out of state.
It is a very good thread. That's a unique situation for a restaurant for sure, I don't know how you do it honestly.

I don't anymore. Ended up leaving there a couple months after the last post, don't even work in the industry now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Smart man

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Three people have cut themselves in the last two weeks, one of whom has 8 stitches in her hand.

the blade hungers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The blade hungers

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The knife skills are lacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm a computer toucher who lurks ,never worked industry but plenty of friends who do. If someone wants to make a "blade hungers" smiley I'll buy it for the thread as a gift in return for all the crazy rear end stories I've read.