Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I actually saw someone earnestly report this as “bad news” for AEW.

Yes well some people look for any chance to poo poo on aew. Like its not a good rating but its on different night and time slot. Its going to be a rough month for them due to all the pre emptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hehe

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

this is codys fault

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Jade_Cargill/status/1399841588474527747?s=20

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Alex Reynolds has lots of Chris Pontius energy

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They beat NXT in the demo. On a friday at 10 PM.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
okay those masks are their faces except caught in bear traps and they're loving hideous

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

yea ok posted:

any issues i had w/ the song were gone when the crowd went apeballs and he was tossin poo poo around much like a wild thing would. simple as that.

That part was p. cool I'm not gonna debate that one

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I mean do we have any idea what the slot was doing before they stuck AEW in there for some weeks?

Number actually only good or bad vs network expectations. AEW has been doing well because we've always known TNT's expectations for wednesday and they far exceed them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

okay those masks are their faces except caught in bear traps and they're loving hideous

youre in the wrong thread smarx

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
man, i'm so excited for JB vs Kenny, feels like it's gonna be one of those really important matches in the company history

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

youre in the wrong thread smarx

dammit!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

graph posted:

comorato is an accountant

Give him the IRS typewriter entrance "music" from the SNES/Genesis WWF games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
gimme the yoda

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

lamb chops and beefy thighs

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

smarxist posted:

man, i'm so excited for JB vs Kenny, feels like it's gonna be one of those really important matches in the company history

This is very true and I can see it being the precursor of JB being the guy who eventually takes down Miro.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Per Fightful, Lio has signed with New Japan but they're fine with him continuing to work for AEW and MLW: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-lio-rush-signs-njpw

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Per Fightful, Lio has signed with New Japan but they're fine with him continuing to work for AEW and MLW: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-lio-rush-signs-njpw

that makes Lio vs Mox more likely

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ganso Bomb posted:

wow crazy what sensible business arrangements can do to let everyone make a living and be a star

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ganso Bomb posted:

We've obviously had a bunch of the reverse (sign with AEW, allowed to work NJPW), but I think this is the first time we've had this specifically.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If I was watching old World's Strongest Man competition videos, I would've been freed from my Toxx as of Double or Nothing. But there's still no sign of Danielson, so as far as this toxx is concerned, we're still at Nothing. Time to double down with Episode 4, Legend of the Dragon Tooth.

Apparently said legend starts with Jake's little sister, Hailey, losing her tooth. The show wastes approximately 0 time in showing off that the Tooth Fairy is a real magical creature, because pretty much every magical creature here is real. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean Jake's throwing down with the tooth fairy. She just got overthrown by her assistant, who stole her wand and reanimated a bunch of golems made of teeth to serve as his minions. All this happened in less than a minute. It astounds me how often the show ping-pongs between being rushed and being painfully dragged out, but this episode's setup actually struck the right balance. Nice job!

Jake's sister is one of those Little Miss Perfect types who is super quick to make sure everyone (especially her brother) knows it. Guess we can check another 2000s comedy sitcom character cliche off the list.

The tooth fairy's assistant, who seems to be a regular dentist, is motivated entirely by how awful of a business model she has. I can't not love how petty this is. He's complaining over literal nickel and diming here!

Now the plot of the episode's rolling in. Jake can't go to the hip-hop video awards because he has to babysit his sister. I'm wondering if this is going to lead to a repeat of Episode 1's plot, where Jake's skimps out on a responsibility and someone close to him gets hurt as a result. Just with less secret dragon hunting society and with more dentistry. Not that I'm complaining, because in a show where the mythical creatures have already been a highlight, these tooth minions are inspired.

We're actually getting Jake's friends in on the action, too! They're watching Hailey for a bit so Jake can attend part of the awards, and that means they're right in the epicenter of the inevitable magic mishaps. It helps that Hailey is a lot less subtle than Jake is, and is just showing off her tooth to them. Is this how they're going to find out Jake's secret? It'd actually give them more of a purpose in the show.

The usual "let's pull a tooth out" plot gets a lot more difficult when the tooth is supernaturally strong and can out-pull any method of removal Jake's friends can think of. I'm a little hit-or-miss on this show's gag montages, but the show's way better at slapstick than grossout and awkward for sure.

Speaking of gags hitting, our villain of the hour's apparently sent the Tooth Fairy to get crushed in a car compactor in Jersey. That's the kind of quick, audacious visual gag that gets me every time.

Its so weird to see a plan of Jake's actually going smoothly for once. He's still a cocky, mishap-prone dumbass with a tendency to embarrass himself, but its nice that the show doesn't make him a complete loser all the time. However, in the end, it seemed like it didn't pay off. All three of them left the house to go see their favorite performer. They at least did the smart thing and took Hailey with them, but the dentist's taking this time to try and get her tooth for himself. Time to see what these tooth minions can do!

The fact that Jake's dog knows literally everybody is a fun little character beat. It also helps give him and Jake's grandfather a reason to get involved in the plot, because the Tooth Fairy just came to him to report her assistant's betrayal. Shame they got involved a little too late, because Hailey just got kidnapped.

The Tooth Fairy's base of operations being some squat, grey building is the most New York thing I've seen and I love it. I also just can't get over the fact that the villain here is just a literal dentist. He isn't even a magical dentist! He's just a dentist! Though considering he built a cage out of teeth, he must be a pretty talented one.

Not talented enough to last for even a minute against Jake, his grandfather, and the Tooth Fairy. He has a backup plan, though. Hailey lost her tooth in the scuffle, and he just planted it in soil, which apparently unleashed an ancient evil on the world. This ancient evil takes the form of what looks like a giant yeti made entirely of teeth. Seriously, how are the magical creature designs so good in this show? It helps that the power of ancient evil doesn't change his motivation in the slightest. He's stomping around town, the size of a small building, and using that power entirely to take money from small children.

Jake actually gets to end a fight this episode! It even ties into every prior part of the episode. He gets over his tension with Hailey's know-it-all attitude by actually embracing it, encouraging her to dragon up to save their bacons when they're tied to the dentist-turned-tooth monster. He also makes a point of choosing family and responsibility over his wants, literally smacking the tooth monster down with a billboard of the hip-hop artist he was dying to see. It was still a quick fight, but this time every part of it actually mattered! Where was this in literally every other episode so far?

The dentist has also been reduced to ashes. Huh. Can't say I expected a dead villain in a throwaway episode.

I also didn't expect that Hailey would actually take responsibility for what happened to get Jake out of trouble, despite only having partial blame. It seems they've got a lot of respect for each other after this episode, and I kinda regret calling her a stock character now. Sure, we still have to end on some sort of gag, with Jake musing "I probably didn't miss anything" as friends party it up with his favorite artist. But this was a surprisingly sweet, earnest note to end the episode on overall.

This episode was so much better than the last two. The personal life and magical duties actually blended in with each other instead of feeling like two halves awkwardly crammed into a whole. The villain's overkill methods for petty goals were such a dumb, enjoyable contrast. And we're actually getting some of the character development that I was starting to find myself counting out. Even on a technical level, the jokes were better, the pacing (while breakneck) was a lot more even, and it felt like the episode actually cared about building up to its resolution. If there are more episodes like this mixed in with the basics and cliches, I might end up enjoying myself more than I expected!

The Bee fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 2, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Was Fuego on either Dark or Dark Elevation? I missed a bit of both shows.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/marq_quen/status/1399881663082119174?s=21

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

quote:

who stole her wand and reanimated a bunch of golems made of teeth to serve as her minions.

This, in my mind, looks very cool.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Christian mentoring JB leading into Kenny would be cool

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TV Zombie posted:

This, in my mind, looks very cool.

I think they're pretty neat looking! Their appearance has a pretty unique shading/texture to them, and when they're moving they animators put a little emphasis on the whole "made out of a lot of tiny parts" thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

smarxist posted:

Maybe Christian should quit trying to bite off others dudes’ shine and find some of his own. Esp since Taz is too busy to fight him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

smarxist posted:

Then he betrays him for the heel turn.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
GIVE

ME

THE

YODA

GIMMIETHEYODA

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I honestly don't see how Shanna works for a big league again after that deal. To me, that one was even more obvious than the Ivelisse-Rosa bad business.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's really good that aew seems to be able to recognize toxic people and excise them as quickly as possible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Why is he quoting DDP while dedicating the match to Matt?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's really good that aew seems to be able to recognize toxic people and excise them as quickly as possible.

They even took Justin Roberts out of the mix as soon as the currently unfounded allegations hit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

coconono posted:

Maybe Christian should quit trying to bite off others dudes’ shine and find some of his own. Esp since Taz is too busy to fight him.

settle down, beavis

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Why is he quoting DDP while dedicating the match to Matt?

Because there was an angle where DDP was Christian's life coach

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Because there was an angle where DDP was Christian's life coach

Oh my God they should bring in DDP and reveal Matt still has to pay him 30% from that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'll never not laugh at Christian blue dot jokes.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Vince MechMahon posted:

Oh my God they should bring in DDP and reveal Matt still has to pay him 30% from that.

LMAO this would be an awesome pay off to Matt's HFO storyline.

Matt is still stuck kicking up to DDP.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Excellent posted:

GIVE

ME

THE

YODA

GIMMIETHEYODA

more and more people are saying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Huge spoilers on this week's Sammy Vlog

Chris Jericho revealed he is Fuego Del Sol.