Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ardennes posted:

It pretty much shutdown every small time dealers and started seriously eating into available retail space until point there are shops on every other bloc. (Some have to be laundering money)

But also, anecdotally speaking, I don’t think it was great for the mental health of a lot of friends who developed a psychological dependency with limitless cheap supply. That said, I would say the same thing about alcohol being too cheap as well.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
re: legalization i think uruguay's system is the best attempt at a non-market solution, the state has weed farms for the medicinal weed that goes to pharmacies and serves (actual) medical use, and recreational users can form non-commercial growing associations to stock their stashes but are barred from commercial activity, of course a lot of grow club product ends up being sold under the table anyway but it's not publicly available and the state goes after anyone being too obvious

idk how that would translate to other drugs but i think it's better than what's in place in the netherlands or the US

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
^^hmm I like the idea of just making all weed business not for profit

Ardennes posted:

It pretty much shutdown every small time dealers and started seriously eating into available retail space until point there are shops on every other bloc. (Some have to be laundering money)

so your solution to small time distributors (and potential small businesses who will now never be born) getting their lunch eaten is to make weed unaffordable to poor people? I don’t like it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ardennes posted:

But also, anecdotally speaking, I don’t think it was great for the mental health of a lot of friends who developed a psychological dependency with limitless cheap supply.

now when you write dependency, you aren't simply stating your opinion that they smoke too much weed but that they are dependent on it to function as normal?

these friends, how was their mental health going before, and has it impacted their lives negatively in their professional or social spheres?

whole lot of people use opiate painkillers as intended without developing a dependency, happy healthy people rarely spiral into drugs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

bagual posted:

re: legalization i think uruguay's system is the best attempt at a non-market solution, the state has weed farms for the medicinal weed that goes to pharmacies and serves (actual) medical use, and recreational users can form non-commercial growing associations to stock their stashes but are barred from commercial activity, of course a lot of grow club product ends up being sold under the table anyway but it's not publicly available and the state goes after anyone being too obvious

idk how that would translate to other drugs but i think it's better than what's in place in the netherlands or the US

Washington State, USA has a program where medical users can grow a few plants and even combine together their growing rights for a larger shared grow. It's quite a nice set up, and some kind of public grow space or grow equipment voucher would be not dissimilar to how I'd like to see drug production under an ancom worldview. Everyone gets a little growing space and access to shared equipment, and it's up to you to plant coco, poppies, weed, hops, LSD trees or lettuce.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

^^hmm I like the idea of just making all weed business not for profit
so your solution to small time distributors (and potential small businesses who will now never be born) getting their lunch eaten is to make weed unaffordable to poor people? I don’t like it

I would prefer to just make the business of selling weed as a profit seeking venture more difficult. If you wanted to just give people a certain amount of weed a month with a cap that may be fine.

Wheeee posted:

now when you write dependency, you aren't simply stating your opinion that they smoke too much weed but that they are dependent on it to function as normal?

these friends, how was their mental health going before, and has it impacted their lives negatively in their professional or social spheres?

whole lot of people use opiate painkillers as intended without developing a dependency, happy healthy people rarely spiral into drugs

I think they were dependent on it as a distraction for other issues that were happening in their lives. I wouldn’t say it was destroying their lives but it certainly allowed them a way to permanently escape reality. I think there was a general decline with an improvement when they gradually slowed down how much they were smoking.

Limitless cheap alcohol y/n?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Limitless cheap alcohol y/n?

monkey paw curls and it's all methanol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hatebag posted:

Introducing: narcommunism, the drug-fueled communist state funded entirely on cocaine exports

this is what reactionaries really believe about Bolivia and Venezuela

https://www.wsj.com/articles/morales-made-bolivia-a-narco-state-11574018858

https://sports.yahoo.com/venezuela-cocaine-aeroterror-hezbollah-iran-142154553.html

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

namesake posted:

I've worked while drunk from lunch but I work in an office and I was still capable of working - that's not a problem. It's different if operating machinery or caring for the vulnerable in some way which requires the best attention you can muster. Are there suddenly being a large shift in manufacturing capacity being shifted to these drugs? That sounds like a signal that something significant has changed in the social environment which might need directed intervention to fix, better check it out.

the fix is to move you and others like you to productive labor which gives everyone a 10-20 hr work and more time to imbibe on their extended weekends while removing your privilege to drink on the clock

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bagual posted:

Yeah there is a bunch of ways you could work it, including the state attempting to control the supply through quotas. That or simply allow people to buy a heavily subsidized amount with a limit.

I just don’t think the “let the free market run wild” approach is working in Oregon.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Marxism, but as an unappealing and boring society for losers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Marxism, but as an unappealing and boring society for losers

i got a policy for all you dopeheads & wastoids

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bagual posted:

unrelated, but uruguay's covid vaccination rate is pretty high. they're doing something right.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Why don’t you care about the effects that a free market have on people?

you propose rigging that market in a way that causes the most harm to the people least able to afford it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

markets? I say get rid of them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Voice of Labor posted:

you propose rigging that market in a way that causes the most harm to the people least able to afford it

You could get around it by providing a subsidized product with a cap but constrict supply otherwise.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jun 2, 2021

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Dreylad posted:

unrelated, but uruguay's covid vaccination rate is pretty high. they're doing something right.

uruguay is pretty loving dope, they got the gay marriage weed abortion trifecta speedrun record in south america thanks to marxist ex-guerillas managing to get elected on a popular front in the 2000's

if you wanna learn more about repression and struggle in latin america this is a pro watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97o1phiyRY

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Weed is like super easy to grow a lot of for very little money if you don't have to hide it. Sure glad there's Marxists that want to keep it as a market commodity for absolutely no reason, what allies!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm serious about free rationed mids, btw.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1399845082996559878?s=20

"Leila Khaled on Clubhouse" is not a sequence of words I expected to read

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bagual posted:

uruguay is pretty loving dope, they got the gay marriage weed abortion trifecta speedrun record in south america thanks to marxist ex-guerillas managing to get elected on a popular front in the 2000's

if you wanna learn more about repression and struggle in latin america this is a pro watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97o1phiyRY

okay well then there's no way this is a glitchless run, what emulator were they using

also thx for the video will check it out!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

But you also claim that interdiction doesn't work, so how is decriminalization working out pretty good for Portugal when sale & distribution is still illegal?
Is there any data for a libertarian drug policy?

in terms of ods and drug use in general, decriminalization seems to make things better. It follows that legalization wouldn't increase drug abuse, but it would also reduce the black market.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hatebag posted:

in terms of ods and drug use in general, decriminalization seems to make things better. It follows that legalization wouldn't increase drug abuse

no it doesn't. are we all gonna pretend that people didn't die from lean? codeine syrup was already a heavily regulated substance, and doctors were just passing out prescriptions because of the money that was in it.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Here's something stupid, and i assume fake i found earlier today:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/drugs/archive/cubaandcocaine.html posted:

cuba and cocaine
Original Air Date: February 5, 1991
Written, Produced, and Directed by Stephanie Tepper and William Cran
ANNOUNCER:
In Havana last fall, Fidel Castro boasted that there was hardly any country less hospitable to drug trafficking than Cuba. But tonight, through DEA surveillance tapes and interviews with former Cuban officials and drug-runners, FRONTLINE investigates how Castro used drug smuggling as a political weapon.

RACHEL EHRENFELD, Author, "Narco-Terrorism":
The Cubans will help them to transfer drugs to the United States and in return, bring arms to the communist insurgencies that the Cubans were supporting in Latin America.

ANNOUNCER: Last year, in a drug-smuggling show trial, Castro betrayed two of his closest associates and sentenced them to death.

ROGER FONTAINE, Adviser, National Security Council, 1981-1983:
If he is willing to jettison his closest friends, who's safe in Cuba? And I think that has very serious implications for the regime and himself.

ANNOUNCER: How did drugs corrupt Castro's revolution? Tonight on FRONTLINE, "Cuba and Cocaine."

NARRATOR:
Off the coast of Florida, U.S. Customs practice tracking a suspect plane. Small aircraft like this are the workhorses of the Colombian cocaine trade. The Customs plane sneaks in behind the bandit's tail, where he can't be seen, and waits for him to make the drop. This is the story of how, for 10 years, part of this narcotics traffic has passed through Cuba.
Since the triumph of his revolution over 30 years ago, Fidel Castro has laid claim to a higher morality. Castro says drugs, like gambling and prostitution, have been stamped out in Cuba. But abroad it now appears that Castro may have allowed drugs to be used as a weapon in his war against Yankee imperialism.

Little Havana, Miami: Hard evidence that Cuba was involved in the drug trade came to light here. In 1987, agents of the Drug Enforcement Agency were staking out this corner. Two gangs were under surveillance-the Ceballoses from Colombia and a family of Cuban-Americans called Ruiz.

THOMAS MULVIHILL, Assistant U.S. Attorney:
Unbeknownst to either the Ceballos or the Ruiz organization, individuals had infiltrated both of those organizations and by taping their phone conversations, wearing body wires and also setting up a video surveillance operation, they were able to get the Ruizes and the Ceballoses discussing their operation through Cuba.

1st GANG MEMBER:
A different runway in Colombia but the same runway in Cuba?

2nd GANG MEMBER:
Yeah.

1st GANG MEMBER:
Yeah?

2nd GANG MEMBER:
Yeah.

1st GANG MEMBER:
The Cubans?

2nd GANG MEMBER:
Listen, we're going on Wednesday.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

no it doesn't. are we all gonna pretend that people didn't die from lean? codeine syrup was already a heavily regulated substance, and doctors were just passing out prescriptions because of the money that was in it.

isn't lean available OTC in Canada? I think the earlier point someone had of happy, healthy people not slipping into drug abuse is probably a key factor in those ODs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if syndicalism so we only have to deal with the squares at the straightedge factory some of the time

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Lol cmon, there was not some mass wave of lean overdoses, nothing at all comparable to oxy/heroin/fentanyl. And part of the allure was that initially it was less regulated and not on the radar like other narcs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lenin smoked weed and so does any true communist

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Medical maintenance therapy for opiates is probably the model you'd wanna look at for hard drugs under marxism

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lil poopendorfer posted:

And part of the allure was that initially it was less regulated and not on the radar like other narcs

not making a great case here

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
RIP Comrades Lil Peep and Juice WRLD

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Most of the deaths in the past 4 or 5 years were from fentanyl. Codeine is a natural opioid, fentanyl is synthetic and is mostly obtained illegally.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

tokin opposition posted:

Lenin smoked weed

he did?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hatebag posted:

Most of the deaths in the past 4 or 5 years were from fentanyl. Codeine is a natural opioid, fentanyl is synthetic and is mostly obtained illegally.

States have also been rescheduling codeine syrup in the last 8 years to make it harder to get, which coincides with the rise of synthetic opioids. The problem presented by natural opioids doesn't go away when you deschedule it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't labour vouchers exchanged for drugs solve the for-profit problem

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the weed like in manila anyway

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I heard you have to smoke an entire trash bag full to feel anything

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

thank god oregon produces enough quality bud to supply all of the u.s. and its protectorates. only puritanism stands in the way of the coming oregon narcostate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

why do you think he had all those strokes? don't buy the NORML propaganda