Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spare us two hours. What’s interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

She gives (what I assume is) a pretty good recap and explanation of Graduation which is helpful because that thing sucked and never made any sense and was impossible to follow.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I mostly lurk here, but I watched like 20 min of the 2 hour video and a live show from 2017 was mentioned as being really awful, and was never released, anyone know what the deal is with that?

Edit: this is a MBMBAM episode, I don’t know anything about TAZ.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Sarah Z just uploaded a 2 hour video on how the "internet turned on the McElroys"

I'm assuming this is intentionally hyperbolic/clickbait. Kind of interested in watching but I have a paper due and if this is about some Twitter spat or that recent TAZ ad I won't be surprised

Putting aside the enormous weight Sarah Z puts on the material at the top (I'm not sure I could characterize the last year as "the collapse of the McElroy Empire"), it's a fairly comprehensive history of the McElroys and a series of relatively uncontroversial takes. I don't think anyone here will disagree with the emphasizing the parasocial nature of their fandom or TAZ: Graduation's... issues. The most controversial thing about the video is probably her take on Travis, which basically comes out to, "He can be frustrating (and Graduation is unambiguously bad) but the level of vitriol directed against him is gross."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I mostly lurk here, but I watched like 20 min of the 2 hour video and a live show from 2017 was mentioned as being really awful, and was never released, anyone know what the deal is with that?

Edit: this is a MBMBAM episode, I don’t know anything about TAZ.

The only ones I can remember are one where they genuinely lost the recording, and one where Justin tried to make it star wars themed for may the 4th and didn't know enough about star wars to keep the bit going, which IIRC was released as a donor bonus.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Seems like it probably didn’t merit a 2 hour video

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I think there was a cursed Atlanta show that was never released

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Just taking every recent McElroy related drama into account, coupled with the pandemic, has led to Maximum Fun no longer growing in size as much as they want. Having to 'rethink business strategies' or something, even after extending the donation period for a bit. Didn't know they had lost that much of a listener base, I just figured it was mostly Too Online people, but Too Online people are basically their whole demographic.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zeeman posted:

I think there was a cursed Atlanta show that was never released

Yeah, all I found when I searched was that it was in Atlanta, and even people who went just said it was bad. I’m too curious for my own good though. I was listening to the podcast pretty regularly then too, so it was odd to me I’d never heard of it. Oh well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I doubt the drama is causing MaxFun to lose subs more than the lack of commuting. I haven't listened to poo poo since the pandemic started and it took a single long road trip to catch up. Since then? Back to not listening really as I continue to WFH. Considering that MaxFun is mostly a bunch of white liberals with office jobs I imagine this is pretty common across the board.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah, all I found when I searched was that it was in Atlanta, and even people who went just said it was bad. I’m too curious for my own good though. I was listening to the podcast pretty regularly then too, so it was odd to me I’d never heard of it. Oh well.

I went to that show. It was fine but during the audience question section it really went off the rails and some overzealous audience members kind of took the show over

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I went to that show. It was fine but during the audience question section it really went off the rails and some overzealous audience members kind of took the show over

I generally skip live shows for that exact reason. Especially the audience questions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheMightyBoops posted:

I generally skip live shows for that exact reason. Especially the audience questions.

They tried to introduce the "Your question has to actually be a question" rule here to which the audience popped, but this was before they prescreened the audience questions, so you ended up with the people going up to ask questions rambling for minutes at a time before they got to really basic non questions so the audience was turning on them and getting frustrated, and the worst being the last guy who was a real fratty bro type dude who asked "Who is your cheese daddy" about an obscure bus billboard ad campaign that was in Florida a decade ago before calling up all his friends unsolicited and going to the stage to get pictures with Griffin who was obviously extremely uncomfortable with this

There was an all time great Munch Squad with the backing track to I Wanna Rock playing over the speakers and strobe lights, for a mind boggling menu item of like Tim Hortons Buffalo Sauce flavored coffee

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 2, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that sounds like Balance-era listeners to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This particular show didn't have adventure zone content

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

honestly i have trouble believing that any issue re: maxfun subs is terribly personal to the mcelroys, as the whole network seems to be having problems and it seems pretty likely that the mcelroys would have a seven figure patreon if they left the network today

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah the Patreon model has made Max Fun’s offerings look pretty shoddy in comparison.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
As I recall TAZ had like four times as many listeners as MBMBAM at the end of Balance. I imagine a lot of that's gone after the middling Amnesty and the poor Graduation. And I think all the other Mcelroy podcasts have way less listeners than MBMBAM, so the flagship shows are key to their income.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JJGo, judge john hodgman and the jv club have solid listenerships AFAICT

them getting 20k new subs in a pandemic is actually pretty surprising to me to be honest

i don't really know how maxfun ranks next to headgum, earwolf, all things comedy, etc though

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 2, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

JJGo, judge john hodgman and the jv club have solid listenerships AFAICT

them getting 20k new subs in a pandemic is actually pretty surprising to me to be honest

i don't really know how maxfun ranks next to headgum, earwolf, all things comedy, etc though

earwolf seems to be actively dying, at least in terms of being a network that publishes smaller comedians rather than a vehicle to sell ads on conan's show

but yeah i'm curious about headgum too, they seem to be doing quite well

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

blossommirage posted:

Just taking every recent McElroy related drama into account, coupled with the pandemic, has led to Maximum Fun no longer growing in size as much as they want. Having to 'rethink business strategies' or something, even after extending the donation period for a bit. Didn't know they had lost that much of a listener base, I just figured it was mostly Too Online people, but Too Online people are basically their whole demographic.
This is the actual quote she references from Reddit at the end of the video:

/u/IamMyBrain from Reddit posted:

So what happens now?

I only started listening to maxfun shows (mainly the McElroys) in 2019, so I've only been a witness to a couple of maxfun drives. The ones I've seen have been successful in meeting their goal up until this year.

Are shows in danger of getting cancelled now?

JesseThorn posted:

We budget backwards a bit. Things like, say, adding the cost of booking studios for JJHo litigants mostly happen as the revenue appears to make it happen. So some things we had hoped to do like that may be forestalled a little, it may take a bit longer than we'd hoped for newer shows to cover their costs. But that's about the worst of it.

Podcast listenership overall has been down somewhat thanks largely to people commuting much less, which for us has mostly meant a bit less growth than we've had in the past more than actual contraction of audiences. We weren't really sure how that would affect membership, especially after the unusual drive last year, and decided to take a shot at a pretty ambitious goal. We actually ended up doing pretty well, relatively, but obviously didn't quite make it to the goal.

Generally, though, MaxFun is in very good health, especially with (hopefully) the economy rebounding this year. Our members largely stuck with us over the past year, which is pretty awesome given the circumstances, and adding over twenty thousand new and upgrading members to that is only to the good.

So I guess long story short: we definitely aren't planning on canceling anything.
I've been a MaxFun subscriber for years and I swear they fool around with the goal and/or get a big spurt of last-minute donations every year. I wouldn't read much into it until shows jump ship or it happens over multiple years.s

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Earwolf has been just a vehicle to sell ads for a long while, and about when they decided to lean into it was when I lost interest. I thought their app failing spectacularly was funny, though.

Podcasts unfortunately became "mainstream" finally, so the biggest networks are companies like iHeartRadio just pumping out a million lovely shows, half of which sounds like they're produced by cult leaders. But they also produce Behind the Bastards, so I can't hate them entirely.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

to me the weirdest podcast network is parcast, they pump out a million different podcasts all written by the same guys and narrated badly by a host of different people. i listened to their cults one for a while but they're so weird and robotic that i eventually bailed

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Parcast stuff with more than one host always ends up sounding like those video game trailers where they have a bunch of people pretending to use voice chat with each other. It comes off so alien sounding

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

She gives (what I assume is) a pretty good recap and explanation of Graduation which is helpful because that thing sucked and never made any sense and was impossible to follow.

Graduation's plot was more straightforward than Balance or Amnesty, you just zoned out too much

But then, so did everybody else itt

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Sivart13 posted:

This is the actual quote she references from Reddit at the end of the video:

I've been a MaxFun subscriber for years and I swear they fool around with the goal and/or get a big spurt of last-minute donations every year. I wouldn't read much into it until shows jump ship or it happens over multiple years.s

Ah, my bad. Thanks for clarifying!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah the Patreon model has made Max Fun’s offerings look pretty shoddy in comparison.

Yea though at least on the other hand in light of how there are a million podcasts I listen to that are putting like 50% of their output behind a patreon paywall, I can really appreciate how Max Fun podcasts just have the yearly bonus episodes during the drive and that's that.

eke out posted:

earwolf seems to be actively dying, at least in terms of being a network that publishes smaller comedians rather than a vehicle to sell ads on conan's show

but yeah i'm curious about headgum too, they seem to be doing quite well

It's a real bummer to see that the change in Earwolf's ownership has led to them not giving a poo poo about the people making stuff that the network was built on. I remember listening to an interview with Jeff Ullrich when he was still in charge. One of the things he talked about was how Hollywood Handbook's listener numbers were initially quite low but he noticed how passionate the fans were and he felt that it was the kind of show that word of mouth combined with some choice guest appearances (such as putting them on an episode of Comedy Bang Bang) could really take it far. And he was right. I can't imagine any of the suits that currently run Earwolf ever considering that in a million years. They'd see it as a waste of time because they're not already famous.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Graduation's plot was more straightforward than Balance or Amnesty, you just zoned out too much

But then, so did everybody else itt

I used to have this recurring nightmare that I signed up for a course in college, and the end of the semester comes and I realize I didn’t attend the class and missed all the assignments and didn’t learn anything to pass the final, and it’s too late to drop the class now. I also had the reality of zoning out in a lot of classes I actually took.

Graduation falls into the former category more than the latter.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sarah Z is fine. Definitely does that youtuber essay schtick, but focused on niche internet drama of early/mid 10's. Hit or miss given the topics, but some are fun.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Podcasts unfortunately became "mainstream" finally, so the biggest networks are companies like iHeartRadio just pumping out a million lovely shows, half of which sounds like they're produced by cult leaders. But they also produce Behind the Bastards, so I can't hate them entirely.

Dunno if biggest networks pumping out shows is as big an issue as much as folks like Conan jumping in the ring, and companies like iHeart buying networks that already have a million lovely shows.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Am I crazy or is that Disco Dancing Dinosaur Party song literally just The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

I ended up listening and yeah, it's a pretty accurate summary of basically every topic brought up in this thread

She also accurately describes the cringey audience questions at live shows as "people auditioning to be the 4th McElroy brother"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seriously, Brian David Gilbert makes $20k a month by being his own boss

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMUd2zJ3pAU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I side with Justin here! It's all about efficiency.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I stopped the episode at some point during the Chuck E. Cheese children's album, is there a good bit in the last 10 min?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, the Chuck E. Cheese children's album

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I ended up listening and yeah, it's a pretty accurate summary of basically every topic brought up in this thread

She also accurately describes the cringey audience questions at live shows as "people auditioning to be the 4th McElroy brother"

Seems like a 2-hour video on the decline of the McElroy media empire would have room for at least a mention of Nick Robinson

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

General Dog posted:

Seems like a 2-hour video on the decline of the McElroy media empire would have room for at least a mention of Nick Robinson

Talking about the origin of polygon she mentions all the great creative people who worked there and "some people we won't mention"

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
What exactly comprises the "decline of the Mcelroy media empire?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it's called that because it gets more clicks than a video that was just called "the history of the mcelroys"