Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Asleep Style posted:

cisco stu here with some good news about VOIP adoption trends

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

not only do they not know. they don’t want to know and don’t care

yep

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Asleep Style posted:

lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

anyway i got the login poo poo working fine and im now pushing the updated script to main
grabs their username from their profile instead of their rap sheet now so even if your rap sheet's completely empty it'll know what your name is

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my office is polycom and yealink fyi

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i liked the ip phones when i worked in the office. it was cool just being able to phone anyone around the world and not care. i know you can do that w/ skype or w/e but i'm easily amused

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
polycom is pro-tier

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve never heard of that therefore it is bad

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

hbag posted:

anyway i got the login poo poo working fine and im now pushing the updated script to main
grabs their username from their profile instead of their rap sheet now so even if your rap sheet's completely empty it'll know what your name is

Neat!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hbag posted:

how about documenting how you did it

because you're going to forget sooner rather than later & I am curious what bitbucket's pipeline is like but not curious enough to go read bitbucket docs

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Smythe posted:

the conference room is my bando and the polycom voicestation 300 is my trap phone

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

polycom is pro-tier

:wrong: it's bad

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i don't think you could even get an office phone here even if you wanted one, or were a sales guy or w/e.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
best call i ever got on my work phone was a recruiter trying to hire me for my own job.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

quick give me cool ideas for lovely web toys to make for the forums
i will work on them alongside my badges

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

hbag posted:

one that makes you are posts better :batuka:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

faxlore posted:

one that makes you are posts better :batuka:

you know most people don't talk about themselves in the second person

everyone's different though i guess

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Asleep Style posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hbag posted:

a service you can subscribe to that autosnypes the thread of your choice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

something that scans ppl’s post history to figure out which forums are their regular forums they post in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a toribot that interrupts ongoing discussions about x by posting “x is from pittsburgh”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

how about an autobumper to keep your favorite threads from falling off the first page

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a client like awful app but it only shows you the good posts

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
a text to speech reader for forum posts but it sounds like the scottish guy from majesty

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

not only do they not know. they don’t want to know and don’t care

and they are right to feel this way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
project idea: make your sig be a dynamically generated word cloud of the post history of a random poster on the page it's displayed on

I think you would get a referer link for the sig image that would indicate what page it's being rendered on

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Buck Turgidson posted:

a text to speech reader for forum posts but it sounds like the yospos pronunciation guide

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Smythe posted:

a friend set up asterisk and a bunch of us got cheap Avaya 9640G phones and joined it

it’s silly fun, especially in seeing just what the Avaya system will let us do

it’s also bridged to SDF’s system, which has games and stuff

another friend got a cheap Obihai POTS/VOIP interface and hacked it to join our system as an adapter for his oldschool rotary phone

there are also a couple things available via modem

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hbag posted:

a forums authentication provider

say I want to prove I own the forums account eschaton

I create an account in your app, tell it my forums username is eschaton, and it gives me some derived hash to put on my profile

I put the hash on my profile and tell your app “ok, verify me,” now it knows the app account and the forums account are related—and I didn’t actually have to give you or anyone else any “real” info about myself

and your app can act as an OAuth provider that confirms my forums identity

so if someone makes some other app for forums peeps, they can just use an OAuth flow for a “forums login identifier” such as https://forums-auth.hbag.com/eschaton (or whatever your app server and domain is)

now that other person’s app can trust it’s being used by forums poster eschaton and not someone pretending to be me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
make a cryptocurrency based on yosposts

like you have to mine by Posting

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

project idea: make your sig be a dynamically generated word cloud of your post history

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh oh wait
everybody gets their _own_ nano-crypto-coin, based on the current valuation of their posting power

you can exchange them at market rates. so maybe you'd buy toricoins cheap when he eats a 30-day, and later on when he's riling up SAS or whatever the value goes up and you can buy a shitload of jerrycoin with it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Kazinsal posted:

significant portions of the forums code are older than you are

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

make a cryptocurrency based on yosposts

like you have to mine by Posting

lol. do this one.

yoscoin

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eschaton posted:

a forums authentication provider

say I want to prove I own the forums account eschaton

I create an account in your app, tell it my forums username is eschaton, and it gives me some derived hash to put on my profile

I put the hash on my profile and tell your app “ok, verify me,” now it knows the app account and the forums account are related—and I didn’t actually have to give you or anyone else any “real” info about myself

and your app can act as an OAuth provider that confirms my forums identity

so if someone makes some other app for forums peeps, they can just use an OAuth flow for a “forums login identifier” such as https://forums-auth.hbag.com/eschaton (or whatever your app server and domain is)

now that other person’s app can trust it’s being used by forums poster eschaton and not someone pretending to be me

yo hbag if you actually did this it would be pretty impressive to future employers i bet

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

keep in mind though that as useful as that would be in theory there is a lot of room to create a lot of serious security issues along the way. might not be a very pleasant project to guess and experiment ones way through.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it’s a few steps up from serving a png file with flask, sure

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

it’s a few steps up from serving a png file with flask, sure

You're not mentioning the sisyphean task of infra in tyol 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if you do that don't implement it all yourself for fucks sake use a library or package for the oauth bit, writing something like that yourself is a recipe for disaster and pain. just do the SA-verification bit and update some identity store.

other projects you could do which woudl be ok

- scraping the images thread or yospos generally and putting all of the images in one easy to browse place
- a thread viewer that allows you to view 120 posts at a time or something (instead of 40)