Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I had been thinking a Kingdom 6 but was put off by the price and difficulty of setup, but if you say the 4 is easy, I’ll have to check it out. Maybe I can watch some setup videos and see if it looks manageable for me. Too bad it’s not on sale right now; maybe I’ll wait for the next time it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Steely Dad posted:

I had been thinking a Kingdom 6 but was put off by the price and difficulty of setup, but if you say the 4 is easy, I’ll have to check it out. Maybe I can watch some setup videos and see if it looks manageable for me. Too bad it’s not on sale right now; maybe I’ll wait for the next time it is.

If you're an REI member you can use the 20% coupon on it through tomorrow. If you're not a member, $20 (one time) to join gets you 20% off a $400+ tent, so it'd probably be worth it to become a member.

On the other hand, REI brand stuff does frequently get discounts during sales. So it's not impossible it'll be on sale again in the future.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Steely Dad posted:

There’s some definite “buy once, cry once” going on. I bought mine used so it wasn’t that much, but still not cheap, but worth every penny IMO.

The 6 would probably be a bit tougher to setup solo, though I’d definitely have to look at instructions to be sure. It would be real hard to outgrow though.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I am a member, so maybe this is a good thing to drop my coupon on. I can’t think of anything more expensive I’ll be buying from this year (though now I’m nervous, having said that).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We've got a Kingdome 4 we bought used a few years ago and that has to be the single greatest car camping tent out there. I can set it up by myself or in 1/2 the time with two. It stays dry and upright during huge summer thunderstorms assuming you have it staked correctly. Just an awesome tent thats well worth the money.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’m buying the Kingdom 4. Got a Klymit Luxe from the outlet since the coupon also works on one outlet item. Gonna try them out at Big Sur next month. Hope it’s not on fire by then!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Any recs for a hammock for a taller person? I'm 6'7". Most info I've found online says get a Warbonnet or a Hennesy but those are a ways outside my budget. From what I can tell tall people sleep better in a longer hammock (11'+)

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Steely Dad posted:

I am a member, so maybe this is a good thing to drop my coupon on. I can’t think of anything more expensive I’ll be buying from this year (though now I’m nervous, having said that).

Most of the other big online outdoor retailers have the same coupons at the same times, so no need to fret.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'd say the big lesson is to use your guy lines if you aren't in a well sheltered area. I've spent a couple nights with my half dome bowing down to give me little kisses and it's not as sweet as it sounds.

I had been in pretty poor weather with it previously where it was rock solid, but the winds those nights were pretty extreme. Still kept me dry as a bone through all the driving rain.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I spent the better part of a week on top of a mesa for work once, and the ground there was just solid rock so I couldn’t stake anything down. Just piling rocks on top of the stake points and trying to build a rock wall surrounding my tent so that the sustained 20-30mph winds didn’t start throwing my tent around. At night the tent shook so much it sounded like a thunder storm. When I got off of that thing I nearly spent my next paycheck on a mountaineering tent just so I wouldn’t have to put up with another work outing like that.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

No

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 1, 2021

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Is there any standard recommendation for baby's first backpacking tent? I already have a car camping tent Id like so this will be almost exclusively for backpacking. Although this tent will primarily be used solo Id prefer a two person tent so I have room for a buddy or gear. Its going to be used in conditions ranging from the Texas summer to fall in the mountains which seems like a rather broad range of weather. Id like to get an entry level tent for now, then once Ive used it a while and learned what features I need and dont need upgrade to something more expensive so my budget is around $200, but that is flexible.

Ive been eye balling the REI Passage 2 which seems just about perfect for my current needs(albiet heavier than I would like), but Im kind of tempted to just go right to the Quarter Dome SL2 which seems mega nice albeit a little pricey. Does anyone have hands on experience with these? Or the Flash Air 2 which also looks interesting.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Passage 2. I've only had Coleman tents before and it's much nicer so I'm not sure how much of a judge I am. The quarterdome and half dome 2 are wider at the top and have more vertical walls with a little bit better interior room at the top, from what I've read. I don't think they have more floor space but I'm not sure. They also have an additional tent pole piece to make the top wider but some say it is worth it.

The Passage 2 has enough room to sleep and place gear. With two people inside your sleeping bags will be touching the walls. It's long enough for plenty of headroom and foot room, however. There is plenty of ventilation, it has a door on both sides which is nice, and includes a small vestibule area with the rainfly. I believe you can set it up with just the rainfly and the footprint, without the main tent. There is a single gear pocket on each end of the inside of the tent. It does not include a gear loft if that is something you need, but does have attachment points for one. There are two tent poles and it is fairly simple to set up.

All of them are great tents. There are diminishing returns as the price goes up. Weight savings is the big one, as well as nicer tent poles, and better packability. However it gets tricky to compare when the higher end tents do not often come with things like included footprint and guy lines. The buy once cry once mantra is fine but you really have to know what you want to cry about.

The good news is that the folks in REI will set up any tent you want in the store for you to try out, so I've heard.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 2, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm looking to ditch my old no-name tent for something lighter that doesn't break the bank. It's not a bad tent, but it's hella heavy and packs down big.
I'm getting up there and I need more room for comfort items. :okboomer:

I'm looking for a two-walled 2-person-in-a-pinch solution. I'm not going above the tree line this summer.

Pickings are slim here in Sweden: I've basically narrowed it down to BA Copper Spur HV or MSR Hubba Hubba NX. The NX is roughly 4/5 the price of the Copper Spur.

I know Big Agnes has a decent reputation, but the fabrics seem awfully thin. Will it hold up to regular use in wet conditions?

The US version of the NX was refreshed in 2019-2020 with composite poles and new waterproofing. The model available in Europe is basically still the 2018 model.

I considered trekking pole tents and reached the conclusion that I'd probably love the X-Mid — and now that I know it exists I couldn't settle for anything less. However, it's terminally unavailable except from scalpers on eBay. :chef:

anatomi fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 2, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Is there any standard recommendation for baby's first backpacking tent? I already have a car camping tent Id like so this will be almost exclusively for backpacking. Although this tent will primarily be used solo Id prefer a two person tent so I have room for a buddy or gear. Its going to be used in conditions ranging from the Texas summer to fall in the mountains which seems like a rather broad range of weather. Id like to get an entry level tent for now, then once Ive used it a while and learned what features I need and dont need upgrade to something more expensive so my budget is around $200, but that is flexible.

Ive been eye balling the REI Passage 2 which seems just about perfect for my current needs(albiet heavier than I would like), but Im kind of tempted to just go right to the Quarter Dome SL2 which seems mega nice albeit a little pricey. Does anyone have hands on experience with these? Or the Flash Air 2 which also looks interesting.

My first backpacking tent was a passage 2 and was great (still is 9 years later). Its inexpensive, light enough to backpack with and held up for this long and still looks practically new. No holes, rips or tears. I re-waterproofed it once. It is a little bulky and I'm surprised it hasn't lost any weight over the years and iterations. It's pretty feature rich and almost impossible to beat for the price. Simple to set up, poles are basic. Upgrade the stakes to aluminum msr type . I've slept two people in it several times without issue. I've been in it under 5 inches of snow, in 40mph winds, in day long rain storms. If I were on a budget or buying my first tent, I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

I've since upgraded to a Nemo hornet which is less than half the weight and significantly smaller.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

My first backpacking tent was a passage 2 and was great (still is 9 years later). Its inexpensive, light enough to backpack with and held up for this long and still looks practically new. No holes, rips or tears. I re-waterproofed it once. It is a little bulky and I'm surprised it hasn't lost any weight over the years and iterations. It's pretty feature rich and almost impossible to beat for the price. Simple to set up, poles are basic. Upgrade the stakes to aluminum msr type . I've slept two people in it several times without issue. I've been in it under 5 inches of snow, in 40mph winds, in day long rain storms. If I were on a budget or buying my first tent, I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

I've since upgraded to a Nemo hornet which is less than half the weight and significantly smaller.

What do you do to re-waterproof?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

anatomi posted:

I'm looking to ditch my old no-name tent for something lighter that doesn't break the bank. It's not a bad tent, but it's hella heavy and packs down big.
I'm getting up there and I need more room for comfort items. :okboomer:

I'm looking for a two-walled 2-person-in-a-pinch solution. I'm not going above the tree line this summer.

Pickings are slim here in Sweden: I've basically narrowed it down to BA Copper Spur HV or MSR Hubba Hubba NX. The NX is roughly 4/5 the price of the Copper Spur.

I know Big Agnes has a decent reputation, but the fabrics seem awfully thin. Will it hold up to regular use in wet conditions?

The US version of the NX was refreshed in 2019-2020 with composite poles and new waterproofing. The model available in Europe is basically still the 2018 model.

I considered trekking pole tents and reached the conclusion that I'd probably love the X-Mid — and now that I know it exists I couldn't settle for anything less. However, it's terminally unavailable except from scalpers on eBay. :chef:

I have owned both of those tents and camped with them in both dry and wet conditions with no problems. You’re right that the fabric is thin on the BA but we’ve had no issue with tears, even when camping in particularly rocky areas. The MSR fit in our packs a little better but the difference is really negligible. Can’t go wrong with either IMO.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
It sounds like the Passage 2 is a good choice for me to get started with. Thanks folks!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sb hermit posted:

What do you do to re-waterproof?

I washed it with clean water and a very mild tech wash like nikwax tech wash (other brands will work too), then iput nikwax waterproofing in a bucket with some water and shakes my tent for a while and let it dry. I went over it again and sprayed it on for a second coat. I sprayed a solar proof on as well for extra protection.

I've used starbrite on an old car camping tent and it works really well but it smells like it definitely kills the ozone so I didn't want it in a small tent that I spend a lot of time in. I'm sure the smell would go away eventually but didn't want to risk it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Freaquency posted:

I have owned both of those tents and camped with them in both dry and wet conditions with no problems. You’re right that the fabric is thin on the BA but we’ve had no issue with tears, even when camping in particularly rocky areas. The MSR fit in our packs a little better but the difference is really negligible. Can’t go wrong with either IMO.
Thanks! I actually ended up ordering Naturehike's clone of the NX, the Mongar.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

I washed it with clean water and a very mild tech wash like nikwax tech wash (other brands will work too), then iput nikwax waterproofing in a bucket with some water and shakes my tent for a while and let it dry. I went over it again and sprayed it on for a second coat. I sprayed a solar proof on as well for extra protection.

I've used starbrite on an old car camping tent and it works really well but it smells like it definitely kills the ozone so I didn't want it in a small tent that I spend a lot of time in. I'm sure the smell would go away eventually but didn't want to risk it.

Interesting. Thank you!

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I'm going to try to summit St. Helens in late June! I've only done shorter day hikes so I want to make sure I have everything I need and would love input:

40L pack
3L camel pak
Sunglasses
Gloves I don't care about
Neck gaiter
Hiking poles
Sun protection
Extra socks

What should I do for layers? Am I missing anything else important?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

How long is the trail you are taking? I’m assuming you are planning to summit and hike out in a single day since you didn’t list any overnight gear so a 40L pack seems somewhat like overkill and don’t forget to bring first aid gear, etc. , but otherwise you’re good imo. As to layers, I’d bring a good merino long-sleeve base layer long sleeve shirt to hike in and a packable down/alternative jacket to wear as you get near the summit (or as winds pick up), and maybe bring legs baselayer just in case it get unexpectedly cold or you get stuck somewhere. Mt. Hood is the farthest north in the PNW ive hiked however, so others may have better insight on local conditions/requirements, like bear mace, etc.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

1redflag posted:

How long is the trail you are taking? I’m assuming you are planning to summit and hike out in a single day since you didn’t list any overnight gear so a 40L pack seems somewhat like overkill and don’t forget to bring first aid gear, etc. , but otherwise you’re good imo. As to layers, I’d bring a good merino long-sleeve base layer long sleeve shirt to hike in and a packable down/alternative jacket to wear as you get near the summit (or as winds pick up), and maybe bring legs baselayer just in case it get unexpectedly cold or you get stuck somewhere. Mt. Hood is the farthest north in the PNW ive hiked however, so others may have better insight on local conditions/requirements, like bear mace, etc.

Thank you! My options for backpacks are 15L or 40L, so I'm going with the bigger one. Just bought some base layers and sock liners

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lovelyn posted:

I'm going to try to summit St. Helens in late June! I've only done shorter day hikes so I want to make sure I have everything I need and would love input:

40L pack
3L camel pak
Sunglasses
Neck gaiter
Hiking poles
Sun protection
Extra socks

I don't know what it'll be like in a few weeks, but there's still quite a bit of snow up there (from what I can see). If there is a lot, you could need crampons and maybe even an ice axe. I've never summited Helens, though, just hiked around it.

This may have some useful information for you: https://www.mshinstitute.org/

I assume you have a permit already?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Asked over in the kayaking thread but thought I’d ask over here too.

Anyone have any recommendations for Kayak paddles ~100$?

Going down to Tennessee here in a few weeks to pick up a new Jackson Tupelo Kayak, but still need to buy J hooks and a paddle. With J hooks everything is basically the same, right?

And with paddles, I’m seeing a number of Chinese carbon fiber paddles around a hundred bucks and was wondering if those were any good. Previously had a Magic Carlisle Plus fiberglass paddle I really liked and wish I hadn’t sold. Tempted by the Bending Branches Slice Hybrid Plus for 150, but it’s pretty well out of stock most places I’ve checked so far.

And for a 29” wide boat and 6’4” person, I probably need a 230-240 cm paddle, right?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

40L pack
3L camel pak
Sunglasses
Neck gaiter
Hiking poles
Sun protection
Extra socks

What other hikes have you done?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bring a hat. The sun can be brutal when you're up high and exposed.

E: and food. Not just water.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

40L pack
3L camel pak
Sunglasses
Neck gaiter
Hiking poles
Sun protection
Extra socks

Are you planning to overnight or just a long day hike? I haven't really looked into St Helens all that much but if you're overnighting, obviously some overnight gear like a shelter/bag/warm clothes/food stuff. If not, you should be fine. GPS/map. Maybe a filter in case you run out of your water. I might also suggest a leg gaiter. If its snowy I would go with a taller calf height, if its dry then maybe just an ankle gaiter. That moon dust is fine and coarse and it will do a number on your feet, kind of feels like baby powder and sea salt. If its snowy, your steps/kick steps might get snow in your shoes/boots so a gaiter will keep your feet dryer while giving you an extra layer of protection if you are wearing crampons/microspikes. I might also suggest a map/compass/gps but I'm not sure how busy the route will be (assumably really busy).

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

incogneato posted:

I don't know what it'll be like in a few weeks, but there's still quite a bit of snow up there (from what I can see). If there is a lot, you could need crampons and maybe even an ice axe. I've never summited Helens, though, just hiked around it.

This may have some useful information for you: https://www.mshinstitute.org/

I assume you have a permit already?

Good call, I have crampons and will pack them. Hopefully I won't need an ice axe, I've never used one! Got the permits ready, going with a group of 3 others

Natty Ninefingers posted:

What other hikes have you done?

Hardest ones I've done are probably Mailbox and Summerland with Panhandle Gap, but that was back in 2019. I didn't hike at all in 2020 and have only done a couple hikes recently, so I'm trying to ramp up what I'm doing now but I'm definitely nervous I'm not in good enough shape for this

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bring a hat. The sun can be brutal when you're up high and exposed.

E: and food. Not just water.

Good call, will add my hat. Trying to meal plan as well

Verman posted:

Are you planning to overnight or just a long day hike? I haven't really looked into St Helens all that much but if you're overnighting, obviously some overnight gear like a shelter/bag/warm clothes/food stuff. If not, you should be fine. GPS/map. Maybe a filter in case you run out of your water. I might also suggest a leg gaiter. If its snowy I would go with a taller calf height, if its dry then maybe just an ankle gaiter. That moon dust is fine and coarse and it will do a number on your feet, kind of feels like baby powder and sea salt. If its snowy, your steps/kick steps might get snow in your shoes/boots so a gaiter will keep your feet dryer while giving you an extra layer of protection if you are wearing crampons/microspikes. I might also suggest a map/compass/gps but I'm not sure how busy the route will be (assumably really busy).

Just up and down, long day hike. I don't think any of us will have satellite phones, is that something I should look into? Leg gaiters seem like a great idea, thanks!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

If you will see other hikers reliably and are on a relatively well-hiked trail, you’re probably fine w/o satellite, imo, especially with a group of 4.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

Good call, I have crampons and will pack them. Hopefully I won't need an ice axe, I've never used one! Got the permits ready, going with a group of 3 others
Hardest ones I've done are probably Mailbox and Summerland with Panhandle Gap, but that was back in 2019. I didn't hike at all in 2020 and have only done a couple hikes recently, so I'm trying to ramp up what I'm doing now but I'm definitely nervous I'm not in good enough shape for this
Good call, will add my hat. Trying to meal plan as well
Just up and down, long day hike. I don't think any of us will have satellite phones, is that something I should look into? Leg gaiters seem like a great idea, thanks!

You don't need a sat phone, just map & compass and/or gps if you have it. I don't bring my gps often unless I plan on going off trail.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm looking for a first aid kit for short day hikes with young kids. I'm wondering if all I really should bring is some band-aids and antiseptic and maybe I'm overthinking things. I found this kit here, but that's basically all it is, except the band-aids won't have the healing power of cartoon characters on them: https://www.redcross.org/store/amer...aid-travel-kits

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

four bucks is about the most i would pay for a pre-made kit; the most valuable part of them is usually the carrying case in my experience. for a day hike with kids that would be fine, but i bet you have most of that stuff at home already. throw a couple bandaids in a ziploc with some kiddie aspirin and tweezers, replace once a year or as needed.

e: put another way, bringing extra snacks and water and jackets and hats and sunscreen and the myriad other items required to keep a child would probably be a more effective use of your packspace than a full fledged fak

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 5, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like to have eye drops, allergy meds, ibuprofen, and picaridin wipes. The eye drops are probably the most important one. I'm always getting poo poo in my eyes.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm prone to blisters, so I've used leukotape and blister band aids more than anything in my first aid kit.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Okay. For starters, I'll just bring along some band-aids and ointment. Might add blister and eye care stuff if our walks get more ambitious. Thanks!

e: oh, and stuff for removing ticks

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Steely Dad posted:

Okay. For starters, I'll just bring along some band-aids and ointment. Might add blister and eye care stuff if our walks get more ambitious. Thanks!

e: oh, and stuff for removing ticks

Tick keys are great, I keep one in my kit and occasionally get use out of it.

Chard hit it on the head though, just pack a small ziplock with average stuff. Since kids are incorrigibly stickey, some wipes might also be good. I particularly like Wysi Wipes-they’re compressed towelettes you rehydrate on the go. I’d also recommend some antihistamines like Benadryl in case allergies flare up outside.

Main thing is, don’t bring anything you don’t know how to use. If you can handle small bumps and scrapes you’re probably more than golden. Kids are resilient

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Steely Dad posted:

I'm looking for a first aid kit for short day hikes with young kids. I'm wondering if all I really should bring is some band-aids and antiseptic and maybe I'm overthinking things. I found this kit here, but that's basically all it is, except the band-aids won't have the healing power of cartoon characters on them: https://www.redcross.org/store/amer...aid-travel-kits

Roller gauze, ace bandage, a few cravats, medical tape and a few gauze patches of varying size are my bare minimum. Dirt cheap, easy to pack, last forever and straightforward to use. Along with the usual suspects (bandaids, antiseptic, ibuprofen) I would toss in a few Benadryl, because finding out you’re allergic to something is especially sucky out in the woods.

Optionally, a large-size SAM splint. You can improvise really good splints using cravats and sticks, but DIY splinting is not what you want to be doing if you are the one with the broken ankle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have found silver sulfadiazine ointment pretty indispensable when a drunk me or one of my drunk friends burns their hand on something