Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

StashAugustine posted:

Also I haven't gotten a DLC since before Megacorp, are any of those must haves

If some game mechanics like factions or leaders dying in waves frustrates you, the robots DLC might be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

isndl posted:

If some game mechanics like factions or leaders dying in waves frustrates you, the robots DLC might be worth a look.

Wait, robots don't get factions?

edit: the first time I played a devouring swam it was so relaxing! Like, no claims, no pop promotions, so much of the annoying stuff cut out of the game. It was a revelation how better I felt the game was... when there was less of it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 1, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Serephina posted:

Wait, robots don't get factions?

edit: the first time I played a devouring swam it was so relaxing! Like, no claims, no pop promotions, so much of the annoying stuff cut out of the game. It was a revelation how better I felt the game was... when there was less of it.

they're still gestalts just like hiveminds! so no factions, no pop promotionsm etc.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not every buff - conditional ones like +damage to FE/AE/Crisis/Amoeba/etc aren't factored in.

Accuracy and tracking also aren't factored in, probably since their practical value ranges from worthless to extremely powerful based on the target you're firing at.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

AG3 posted:

Accuracy and tracking also aren't factored in, probably since their practical value ranges from worthless to extremely powerful based on the target you're firing at.

This is also one of the reasons that defense stations are so, so bad. They have zero evasion and so they take much more damage than fleet numbers would indicate. They really should significantly increase the power and hit points of those stations, because currently there's never a reason to build them. Ideally they should be the refuge for weaker empires that are on the defensive from a more powerful enemy, but they end up being traps because they soak up resources and don't contribute to a fight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not every buff - conditional ones like +damage to FE/AE/Crisis/Amoeba/etc aren't factored in.

It does count conditions that apply against everything so long is the condition is satisfied though, like +fire rate in home territory (this is something to be wary of if you have one of the policies/traditions that gives you a home territory buff, since you can overestimate your fleet strength when going on the offensive)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

This is also one of the reasons that defense stations are so, so bad. They have zero evasion and so they take much more damage than fleet numbers would indicate. They really should significantly increase the power and hit points of those stations, because currently there's never a reason to build them. Ideally they should be the refuge for weaker empires that are on the defensive from a more powerful enemy, but they end up being traps because they soak up resources and don't contribute to a fight.

They’re def not going to fight off another empires main fleet by themselves, but they’re really really good at three specific things: (1) acting as a force multiplier at choke points (2) stopping/killing the little trash-splinter-fleets that the AI sends during wars, and (3) preventing aggression in the first place because the AI is scared of Big Number

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Although it would be pretty cool if pacifist / isolationist empires got bonuses to star-bases that upped their defensive capabilities. It could even be a civic / rolled into inward perfection 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I'll usually plop a big bastion station with all the goodies, along with a fortress habitat, in Terminal Egress if I get there first. I don't actually know if it helps-- I think for a while ships could just hop in and out with the L-Gate regardless of your defenses? But I might be misremembering. Either way, it just feels like the kind of thing I ought to do on a big old choke point and it lets me feel like I'm kitting out the L-Cluster as a safe harbor in case things go sideways with the crisis.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

I'll usually plop a big bastion station with all the goodies, along with a fortress habitat, in Terminal Egress if I get there first. I don't actually know if it helps-- I think for a while ships could just hop in and out with the L-Gate regardless of your defenses? But I might be misremembering. Either way, it just feels like the kind of thing I ought to do on a big old choke point and it lets me feel like I'm kitting out the L-Cluster as a safe harbor in case things go sideways with the crisis.

Yeah it will help hold off anyone from taking control of the L-cluster from you, but a base in Terminal Egress won't actually stop enemies from warping through it since the FTL blocker doesn't affect L-Gate use. It might potentially stop enemies from using it if it has the range to engage all the way out to the edge of the system (forcing anyone coming in to get locked into combat rather than being allowed to just pop in and pop out again) but I'm not sure even ion cannons have enough range for that.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you actually have to put a fleet there, which is a shame as fortifying the galaxy's best choke point would be thematically great.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

They’re def not going to fight off another empires main fleet by themselves, but they’re really really good at three specific things: (1) acting as a force multiplier at choke points (2) stopping/killing the little trash-splinter-fleets that the AI sends during wars, and (3) preventing aggression in the first place because the AI is scared of Big Number

I want to like defense platforms, and I'm all for role-playing and avoiding hyper optimization, but the math just isn't there. Everything you're talking about is done better by normal fleets. They are much better force multipliers, they can hunt down raiders, and they deter aggression at a political level as well as a tactical one. If there's a big bad next door then the last thing you want to do is build defense platforms, when really it should be the first.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

I want to like defense platforms, and I'm all for role-playing and avoiding hyper optimization, but the math just isn't there. Everything you're talking about is done better by normal fleets. They are much better force multipliers, they can hunt down raiders, and they deter aggression at a political level as well as a tactical one. If there's a big bad next door then the last thing you want to do is build defense platforms, when really it should be the first.

Basically the one advantage of defense platforms over fleets is that they don't count against your naval cap, so you are free to build as much as your alloy supply will allow (and your overall starbase cap). Even then yeah, it doesn't really seem to be worth it since a citadel with a full compliment of defense platforms seems to barely slow an enemy fleet down any more than one that doesn't have any at all. And the fact that you can only build one platform at a time means that they take forever to build up to that point and are a pain to replace.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

yeah, defense platforms are whatever, but you said defensive stations and those do the things I said they did ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

At the point you're seriously considering a choke point station the alloy investment is "whatever", you put strike craft on them and throw them down to whatever your max is. Yea the return isn't going to be super amazing, but you're just adding whatever you can.

The main function of the defensive station is the inhibitor and the various auras you can get going, which actually make a pretty significant difference.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Defense platforms could be buffed but that needs to be done carefully. If they're actually good then they're going to be spammed by the AI and that would suck. Since they don't take fleet capacity they shouldn't ever be as good as ships costing an equivalent amount of alloys. Basically they just need to be a speed bump, and that’s what they are now but they die a little easy

I like the idea that's been posted here before, let defense stations automatically respawn but only for the empire that built them. This would give them some nice extra value without making them too strong

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Defense platforms could be buffed but that needs to be done carefully. If they're actually good then they're going to be spammed by the AI and that would suck. Since they don't take fleet capacity they shouldn't ever be as good as ships costing an equivalent amount of alloys. Basically they just need to be a speed bump, and that’s what they are now but they die a little easy

I like the idea that's been posted here before, let defense stations automatically respawn but only for the empire that built them. This would give them some nice extra value without making them too strong

i play with a mod that makes them unkillable like the station itself is, to make creating and capturing bastions significantly more meaningful

i can assure you that they are not imbalanced in the slightest like this. in fact, they are still the lowest-priority thing to put alloys into; but at least it doesn't feel like literally throwing alloys into the garbage like it does in vanilla

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do you still need like 4k army to fight the Sentinels these days?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Do you still need like 4k army to fight the Sentinels these days?

Yes, sadly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

It feels like the sort of thing where really what they need is to be given more hull points/slots for shields/armor, fewer slots for weapons (or maybe just have some sort of arbitrary damage debuff and shield/armor buff). Basically allow them to live longer but not really deal any more overall damage than they're doing now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's also a pain to have to manually go around and upgrade all of them, sometimes multiple times, while the game keeps spamming the fleet upgrade sound at you.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty sure the AI already spams platforms. You even find them around shipyard stations they make

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It feels like the sort of thing where really what they need is to be given more hull points/slots for shields/armor, fewer slots for weapons (or maybe just have some sort of arbitrary damage debuff and shield/armor buff). Basically allow them to live longer but not really deal any more overall damage than they're doing now.

Yeah more hull and shield/armor slots make sense. Then they're even better in a speed bump role

Maybe give them Large armor slots, I think they currently have Medium

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Sloober posted:

Pretty sure the AI already spams platforms. You even find them around shipyard stations they make

Yeah the AI builds them all the time, players just don't notice them because they don't do anything.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Make em free system defense ships with corvette evasion and current durability that spawn when you have a bastion within range. outposts get 3, and otherwise based on station platform slots. give them 10 pirate suppression.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

How’s the console edition of this game?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kaal posted:

Yeah the AI builds them all the time, players just don't notice them because they don't do anything.

One of my complaints is that now that ship slot equipment is for all intents hidden, the only thing worth looking at for an enemy fleet is the fleet power stat

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Checks out. 4k was barely enough

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Sloober posted:

One of my complaints is that now that ship slot equipment is for all intents hidden, the only thing worth looking at for an enemy fleet is the fleet power stat

Yeah same, it's unfortunate. They should reduce intel requirements by 10 across the board, which would fix that issue.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I took a screenshot of the battle I had lost originally.

I continued my game, carefully rebuilt my fleet; took a look at the battle report screen, I noticed they seem to be dealing a lot of shield damage and not as much armor damage, and I was much more effective against their shields.

So I updated my fleets; all armor; and switched around my Destroyers to be all medium-small guns putting the Large gun destroyers on the back line in their own fleet.

The war resumes!

I am now winning battles without losing a single ship!

My economy is making GBS threads itself though as I hit the "Oh poo poo!" button and went to Militerized economy.

The enemy is being helpful in not doomstacking their fleets, which helps a lot.

I think my economy has poo poo itself because I'm vastly over my fleet cap, but I am also kinda outnumbered so. *Whatevs*

I used to name my ship classes after stuff that was thematic to my species, like "Wyvern class" or "Scale class" or "Spike class" etc; but stopped when this got too confusing to differentiate what the gently caress they do.

Now my current schema:

AS - Anti Shield
AH - Anti Hull
AP - Anti Armor (Armour Piercing)

Corvettes - Interceptors
Destroyers - Gunboats/Destroyers if Large sized hullpoints.

Etc.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 2, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah being over fleet cap raises the maintenance cost of your ships (if you mouse over it will tell you the exact % it is increasing it) so that is probably why you are in the red in your energy credits. You aren't that in the red though so you are probably good to just leave it for now and focus on winning the war rather than trying to balance your budget - assuming you don't spend energy on anything you've got enough to last you 10 years at the current rate of decline. Running a deficit only matters when you run out.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

That first screenshot you posted the other fleet had 36 more naval cap worth of ships in the fight. The second review screen you had 63 more naval cap in the fight. While retooling your fleet probably helped, the best thing was just having more dudes in the fight (also the smaller guns perform better against corvettes, as small guns have better accuracy+tracking).

Another hot tip is to open your edict screen, and check to see if you can afford to activate any of the rare resource edicts. They last for like 10-11 years (basically the whole war) and provide a substantial boost.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I won some more wars and pushed out my borders a bit but its really annoying to retake systems you lose as a FP because I don't want to risk pockets forming if I get forced peaced. I even managed to get 25k fleet power to launch a punitive expedition against the Marauders and took one of their systems but I lost some ships and needed to repair/rebuild a little.

No one is dowing me anymore, I think my fleet power must be ahead of any one power near me.

Yeah winning that war the screenshots were from was a LOT easier once they stopped stacking their stuff; but its still a bit of a problem with a large empire to defend multiple fronts especially now that star bases aren't really good speed bumps anymore.

My main issue now is that my economy is struggling to keep up with alloys, I can't seem to get above +80 to +110 alloys a tick when I need like +250 alloys to keep pace with these wars I want to do.

Fleet capacity is also an issue, I'm up against 260ish fleet cap now and need closer to like 350 or 50k fleet power total if I want to be able to watch my borders while pushing into someone.

I have the Grunur relic which is neat, just colonizing 40-50% habitable worlds and clicking the button; but it competes with the +30% speed relic since it makes traversing my fleets across my empire faster.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I used to name my ship classes after stuff that was thematic to my species, like "Wyvern class" or "Scale class" or "Spike class" etc; but stopped when this got too confusing to differentiate what the gently caress they do.

Now my current schema:

AS - Anti Shield
AH - Anti Hull
AP - Anti Armor (Armour Piercing)

Corvettes - Interceptors
Destroyers - Gunboats/Destroyers if Large sized hullpoints.

Etc.

You inspired me to start adding explanations to the names of my ships - e.g. the game generated Mitgabb for me, but then I saved it as Mitgabb-armor. (Which I have a lot of, because I just found out that my crisis will be the Prethoryn, and since they haven't shown up yet, I have time to retrofit my fleets...)

Next game I'll start out doing that; it'll make it a lot easier when I'm putting together a new fleet, because I won't have to open the ship designer to figure out which one has the missiles and which one is all-shields no-armor!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm playing on Commodore without any gameplay mods and is it normal to be in like 2300 and have all the AI fleets still be like sub 1k (except marauders)? I'm using all default map settings andI'm sitting on like 40k battleship fleets.

I had glavius but after 3.0 having the mod installed kept the game in like a weird 2.x version that I couldn't fix even with the latest patches/hotfixes.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 2, 2021

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm playing on Commodore without any gameplay mods and is it normal to be in like 2300 and have all the AI fleets still be like sub 1k (except marauders)? I'm using all default map settings andI'm sitting on like 40k battleship fleets.

I had glavius but after 3.0 having the mod installed kept the game in like a weird 2.x version that I couldn't fix even with the latest patches/hotfixes.

If you've been beating them up a lot, yes. On alloy production, consider either taking the ecu perk or just wholesale converting one of your existing resource worlds to a foundry planet. Because pop growth is slower now, it's harder to build a new foundry world in the 2300s.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Kaal posted:

Yeah same, it's unfortunate. They should reduce intel requirements by 10 across the board, which would fix that issue.

They should not make intel a requirement to see ship loadouts you have been in combat with and destroyed. It's real dumb.

I was going to show a friend why I was wrecking the crisis with a fleet that targetted the unbidden's loadouts, but my "intel was too low" as I was crushing them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Anias posted:

They should not make intel a requirement to see ship loadouts you have been in combat with and destroyed. It's real dumb.

I was going to show a friend why I was wrecking the crisis with a fleet that targetted the unbidden's loadouts, but my "intel was too low" as I was crushing them.

If you're not playing Ironman you can just tag switch over if you want to show a friend something

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You should get intel from researching wreckage. It's weird that you don't tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gort posted:

If you're not playing Ironman you can just tag switch over if you want to show a friend something

can you tagswitch to the crisis?