Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

vyelkin posted:

The CBC used to have a comments section where anonymous users without accounts could vote comments up and down. It was the best comments section on the internet, the top-rated comments tended to be thoughtful and helpful and all the racist garbage was downvoted into oblivion. Then they changed it to a system where only logged-in users could vote and there were no more downvotes, and the racist garbage floated to the top immediately. Now they just don't have comments on like half the website because they drove away all the good commenters and the only people left are the ones who call for genocide under every article.

I wonder what the rules are for closing CBC comments, I have a few guesses:

i) An indigenous issue or person is mentioned in the article.
ii) Article is about a woman under the age of 18.
iii) Issue affecting racial minorities.
iv) Issue affecting LGBT.
v) Article about the police.

I also wonder if there was a memo sent that's like "Close comment section on the following types of articles:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Calumanjaro posted:

I also wonder if there was a memo sent that's like "Close comment section on the following types of articles:"

To give the CBC a little credit, they proactively don't even open comments for most articles like that.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Arivia posted:

To give the CBC a little credit, they proactively don't even open comments for most articles like that.

That's what I mean. Like what are the rules for not having comment sections.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Calumanjaro posted:

A few years ago they openly announced they would no longer have comments on articles about Indigenous people, you know, because of all the hate speech. In response, the commenters started using the comments sections on other articles published on the same day as any article about Indigenous people to shittalk the articles about Indigenous people and also the CBC for censoring their free speech by not letting them put their hateful comments underneath the actual article they hated.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

A few years ago they openly announced they would no longer have comments on articles about Indigenous people, you know, because of all the hate speech. In response, the commenters started using the comments sections on other articles published on the same day as any article about Indigenous people to shittalk the articles about Indigenous people and also the CBC for censoring their free speech by not letting them put their hateful comments underneath the actual article they hated.

First they came for the people hollering slurs and you'll never guess what they had to say about it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Honestly no news website should have a comment section. Comment sections is where human decency and basic humanity go to be mutilated on the alter of hot takes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Something Awful is just a comments sections run amok

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol I can't believe I forgot about the time Kenney tried to have a Bigfoot movie cancelled because it dared to criticize the oil and gas industry. That was like two months ago tops.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol I can't believe I forgot about the time Kenney tried to have a Bigfoot movie cancelled because it dared to criticize the oil and gas industry. That was like two months ago tops.

lmaoooo what i missed this

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

"It's silly."

quote:

The Canadian Energy Centre started a petition against the movie, urging people to send Netflix Canada letters saying the film villainizes energy workers and tells lies about the oil sector.

The energy centre, which is informally called the "war room", is funded by the province to challenge false reports on the oil industry.

Both Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Energy Minister Sonya Savage have backed the campaign against the film.

That said the controversy apparently helped the film so perhaps the sequel will feature an evil Canadian premiere and his cabal in the Energy War Room rather than a Texas oil tycoon as the villain.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The most cursed comments section is definitely the 6buzz page now that no one reads newspaper websites anymore. I’m convinced that whole account is some kind of conservative op

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lassitude posted:

"It's silly."
That said the controversy apparently helped the film so perhaps the sequel will feature an evil Canadian premiere and his cabal in the Energy War Room rather than a Texas oil tycoon as the villain.

amazing

yeah i've never seen this but now i want to watch it

and then the sequel with villainous plunderer Mason Spinney

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Hahaha what the gently caress man

https://twitter.com/Zach_Fleisher/status/1400106210767126539?s=20

quote:

Manitoba Building Trades has been ousted from the Manitoba Construction Sector Council, over what its executive director believes was a disagreement over a nuanced government initiative regarding micro-credentials.

Although there are differing views as to the rationale of the MCSC board’s vote to expel MBT, the result is about 10,000 workers no longer have a voice at the board room table of a publicly funded sector council.

Sudhir Sandhu, the chief executive officer of MBT, said it was a shock that the board took the action it did.

"It is evident to us that this was a very carefully manufactured crisis… to remove a particular organization," he said. "We think the micro-credential issue was used as an excuse."

MBT represents 13 member unions and engages in project partnerships on training and productive labour practices.

Sandhu believes the germ of the expulsion was planted after he made a public comment on a television news item, expressing some reticence about the appropriateness of micro-credential programs and the damage it might cause to apprenticeship programs.

That was in February.

That news was followed by a letter from MCSC’s executive director, Carol Paul (along with chairwoman, Colleen Munro) in early March to three provincial cabinet ministers disavowing Sandhu’s take on micro-credentials.

Among other things, the letter stated, "The comments made, and specifically those relating to micro-credentials, in no way reflect the position of MCSC or its board of directors. We sincerely apologize for any confusion this misinformation may have caused."

In an email exchange asking why MBT was voted out of the sector council, Paul made no reference to the micro-credential issue.

She said, "The decision to make a governance and relational change between the council and MBT was based on many factors, not any one particular instance."

She also said, "As they (MBT) have continued to grow in their capacity as a for-profit organization, it became increasingly apparent that the best path forward was to allow our very different mandates to unfold separately, especially given that we are a not-for-profit."

Sandhu took exception to that characterization, saying the MBT is not-for-profit and holds a very minor stake in a training organization called the Manitoba Building Trades Institute which, along with industry partners like PCL and Bird Construction, undertakes all sorts of training.

The promotion of micro-credentials is a popular buzzword often used these days in the context of short term post-pandemic skills training.

In a recent report from the province called "Manitoba’s Skills, Talent and Knowledge Strategy" it states that one of the things that can happen in the short term is to "explore opportunities for micro-credentials and layering of credentials that could work in a Manitoba context and across jurisdictions, assisting with economic recovery and helping individuals displaced in the pandemic to quickly top-up their skills and connect to the labour market."

Among other things Sandhu cautions against a reliance on micro-credentials in the trades fields because of the potential lack of long term options for workers skilled in only one specific task.

"In Toronto there may be enough home building for door hangers or framers, but we can’t afford that in Manitoba," Sandhu said. "We need to create carpenters who have a full scope of practice."

He said there is no evidence of workers taking trades-related micro-credential courses going on to enrol in apprenticeship programs in Manitoba.

It’s not clear where this dispute is headed. Sandhu said he hopes cooler heads will prevail.

A spokeswoman for Ralph Eichler, Manitoba’s Minister of Economic Development and Training, whose department funds the sector councils, said, "Government’s role is not to interfere with, or be in support of or against decisions the council makes, and this decision was made independently of government."

While Paul said, "workers will continue to have a strong voice at MCSC through our many members organizations, partners and stakeholders" it will have the distinction of being the only construction sector council in the country without labour representation.

Marc Lafond, business manager for the Operating Engineers of Manitoba Local 987 and board chairman of MBT said it is the only construction association that represents labour exclusively.

"Manitoba no longer has a true construction sector council if Manitoba Building Trades is not represented," he said.

The MCSC was founded more than 10 years ago and its founding and only members have been the MBT, Winnipeg Construction Association, Manitoba Home Builders Association and Manitoba Heavy Construction Association.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

Starks posted:

The most cursed comments section is definitely the 6buzz page now that no one reads newspaper websites anymore. I’m convinced that whole account is some kind of conservative op

My theory is that it's run by police.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

mediaphage posted:

agree

i’ve brought this up before but the local subreddit is mostly 18-40 and there’s a ton of racist poo poo

I'm not saying Canada is ~beyond racism~ but people who get angry enough to comment on articles on Facebook or (even more so) newspaper articles tend to be just the worst. Likewise for reddit (mostly)

Everyone I know in my town is really nice and progressive but oh boy, look at the subreddit for it and you'd think we were rural alberta

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno if there's a more appropriate thread for this. I absolutely hate navigating government websites. I'm out $500 this morning because of the national student loans website, which somehow gave me maybe four different responses that were each wrong.

So I'm repaying student loans and I've been using the repayment assistance plan. My last six months expired at the end of April so I reapplied. Now what is supposed to happen is when your application is being processed, your payments are frozen until your application is approved or refused. Not that this really matters because I'm set up for direct deposit.

Anyways, after two weeks in May where it wouldn't even let me reapply for RAP because it thought I had another application on file I finally got my application submitted. Then I received an email from NSLSC addressed to another applicant with the wrong reference number saying there were going to be processing delays. Then i checked the website again and saw my application had been rejected because I have outstanding payments. Payments that should have been frozen while the application was being processed. So I drop $500 to clear my late payments and I try to reapply, only for the website to tell me that I can't start a new application while my current application is being processed. The application that I just checked and was told had been refused.

I never received an email telling me the status of my application, my NSLSC account inbox hasn't sent me any notifications, I got someone else's email about their account payments and I'm out $500 just to put my repayment back in good standing because government websites are run by chimpanzees. Either they should hire more people to actually have human eyes read over application s or they should fire whatever programmer automated their websites.

I dont make that much money so a $500 payment on top of my other expenses like rent and food isn't something I'm too keen on unless I never want to take a vacation or travel before I'm 40. It's been pissing me off all morning.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dunno if there's a more appropriate thread for this. I absolutely hate navigating government websites. I'm out $500 this morning because of the national student loans website, which somehow gave me maybe four different responses that were each wrong.

So I'm repaying student loans and I've been using the repayment assistance plan. My last six months expired at the end of April so I reapplied. Now what is supposed to happen is when your application is being processed, your payments are frozen until your application is approved or refused. Not that this really matters because I'm set up for direct deposit.

Anyways, after two weeks in May where it wouldn't even let me reapply for RAP because it thought I had another application on file I finally got my application submitted. Then I received an email from NSLSC addressed to another applicant with the wrong reference number saying there were going to be processing delays. Then i checked the website again and saw my application had been rejected because I have outstanding payments. Payments that should have been frozen while the application was being processed. So I drop $500 to clear my late payments and I try to reapply, only for the website to tell me that I can't start a new application while my current application is being processed. The application that I just checked and was told had been refused.

I never received an email telling me the status of my application, my NSLSC account inbox hasn't sent me any notifications, I got someone else's email about their account payments and I'm out $500 just to put my repayment back in good standing because government websites are run by chimpanzees. Either they should hire more people to actually have human eyes read over application s or they should fire whatever programmer automated their websites.

I dont make that much money so a $500 payment on top of my other expenses like rent and food isn't something I'm too keen on unless I never want to take a vacation or travel before I'm 40. It's been pissing me off all morning.

I've gone through something similar with the NSLSC, and I can tell you from experience calling them to get more information is just as useless as the website. When doing my RAP application, I was given six different answers about what documents I needed to provide. Eventually I just let the application expire so i could do a new one.

Also thanks for reminding me that I need to do another application, because the RAP only lasted for one month for me. For some reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Panderfringe posted:

I've gone through something similar with the NSLSC, and I can tell you from experience calling them to get more information is just as useless as the website. When doing my RAP application, I was given six different answers about what documents I needed to provide. Eventually I just let the application expire so i could do a new one.

Also thanks for reminding me that I need to do another application, because the RAP only lasted for one month for me. For some reason.

It's baffling. Last time I applied they asked me for documents, this time they asked me for nothing. I'm set up for direct deposit and they throw me into outstanding fees because they didn't do an auto-pay. There's no rhyme or reason to it at all and the rules change every time I visit the site. Nobody is at the wheel and it's costing me more than I can afford.

I mean if I was making 50K a year it wouldn't be a problem but I'm not making that kind of middle class income.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dunno if there's a more appropriate thread for this.

I wouldn't say it's more appropriate, but someone in the long-term finance thread might have an idea. Worth a cross-post.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Calumanjaro posted:

That's what I mean. Like what are the rules for not having comment sections.

The CBC definitely doesn't allow comment sections on news articles regarding indigenous people which is good because holy poo poo the comments were dire before that policy.

OTOH the CBC kinda goes overboard on the whole trying to not discriminate when it comes to actively dangerous situations. There can be a knife welding maniac loose in the skyway or downtown underground and they won't ever give a description other than sex and height.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Alctel posted:

I'm not saying Canada is ~beyond racism~ but people who get angry enough to comment on articles on Facebook or (even more so) newspaper articles tend to be just the worst. Likewise for reddit (mostly)

Everyone I know in my town is really nice and progressive but oh boy, look at the subreddit for it and you'd think we were rural alberta

lol i bet some of those nice progressive people you know make some of those comments and you don’t know it.

additionally this kind of ignores the issue entirely. like how when people come here and ask about racism they get shouted away because “this isn’t racist that’s dumb you’re racist” etc etc because “nobody [they] know is racist.”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Schooooooooool's out for summer

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Coward Douglas Ford made it official, no school.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The fat piece of poo poo finally made a sensible decision. I'm honestly shocked.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm surprised he didn't weasel in some sort of jab at Trudeau

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Something like, "Kids, if the prime minister had closed the borders you'd be seeing your buddies at school right now"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He made a sensible choice and still made it sound like it was the scientists and the teachers doing evil poo poo to keep schools closed.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, there he goes, whining about the evil Feds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quite the 180 from Lecce denying any spread in schools now that he can blame scientists for fear mongering.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Wait, are we being overrun with diseased people from other countries, or are the numbers going down? Which one is it?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Mad Hamish posted:

Wait, are we being overrun with diseased people from other countries, or are the numbers going down? Which one is it?

"yes"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"I dont listen to my science advisory board but I do base my decisions on the word of a small child who let me into his house."

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

mediaphage posted:

lol i bet some of those nice progressive people you know make some of those comments and you don’t know it.

additionally this kind of ignores the issue entirely. like how when people come here and ask about racism they get shouted away because “this isn’t racist that’s dumb you’re racist” etc etc because “nobody [they] know is racist.”

Yeah you are right, my friends spend their time making racist comments on online newspaper articles, ya got me.

I said multiple times Canada is a pretty racist country - I'm saying that thinking that comment sections of newspaper articles and reddit is a decent representative sample of the population is incorrect. 'Never read the comments' has been an internet rule for like 25 years

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 2, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Alctel posted:

Everyone I know in my town is really nice and progressive

white people say this about the intensely racist town I live in as well

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Bleck posted:

white people say this about the intensely racist town I live in as well

Ok I give up. Everyone I know is actually secretly intensely racist and online comments are an excellent way to get a representation of how everyone actually thinks

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 2, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not everyone is actively racist, a majority are passively racist.

Hope this helps.

(Passively racist in the sense that they continue to uphold the systemic and racial biases inherent to society, it's a low bar for sure but its still there)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

it's a known fact: if someone does something bad, all people who share any identifying attributes with them also do that bad thing. especially geographic location, people who live in the same place are well known to all be exactly alike, which is why local politics are such an unimportant topic

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Arcsquad12 posted:

"I dont listen to my science advisory board but I do base my decisions on the word of a small child who let me into his house."

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/1400154265960599553?s=19
I'm glad it's transcribed to show how loving nuts his anecdote is

He's just so loving bad at pretending to care about people

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

And that kid's name? Albert Einstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

At a time when parks are being used more than ever before, I bring you the National Post!

https://twitter.com/accessd/status/1400155095808065542?s=19