Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Sonicwall has a CLI? :D

poo poo pissing me off: Chrome and its hyper-aggressive caching. I'm setting up a new web site architecture and whatever the state of the site is when you first point chrome at it is the one Chrome will remember forever.

Pointed chrome to a site not up yet and got a 404 error? Forever
Pointed chrome to an IIS server using host headers and got the stock "Welcome to IIS" page? Forever
Your site (not) using redirection to redirect HTTP to HTTPS? Forever
Site pointing to an S3 bucket that no longer exists? Forever

I shouldn't have to flush every cache, purge every saved setting, and otherwise burn chrome to the ground in order to get it to refresh. :f5:

Developer tools -> settings -> disable cache :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Pissing me off: Chrome 91 released 3 days ago seems to break our platform in specific ways, going right into a holiday weekend.

Not pissing me off: I'm new enough that I don't have to be in the on-call rotation Monday morning :smuggo:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Chrome is essentially a Google-branded memory leak and so many websites are either so terribly coded or so privacy-invasive that they just won't work with Firefox. I'm ready to relegate my desktop to strictly gaming, switch to a Raspberry Pi with Lynx as my primary home computer, use my work laptop when I need to do something for work, and my Thinkpad 420 for anything personal involving Windows.

Yes, I did use a bunch of Chrome extensions for privacy and ad blocking, but thanks to each extension and each individual tab running as a separate process, it's managed to eat as much as 32GB of memory, especially with the coding shithole that is Facebook (no, I'm not deleting it because it's the only way to keep in touch with some family and friends who live far away.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

DNS

We have new DNS resolvers , named ns01/02/03.

We have new NTP servers, which some rear end named dns01/02/03.

All week, “the network is broken my computer says no internet”.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Partycat posted:

DNS

:ughh:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Partycat posted:

DNS

What the gently caress? Who the gently caress would do that?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

What the gently caress? Who the gently caress would do that?

People who have never had DNS be the issue related to downtime.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

People who have never had DNS be the issue related to downtime.
So... children?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As far as I can tell, someone being funny from that team. They respond to resolver requests with query denied too for extra fun.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 29, 2021

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

DelphiAegis posted:

Not pissing me off: I'm new enough that I don't have to be in the on-call rotation Monday morning :smuggo:

Wait. Does your on-call go Monday to Monday?

I hope not.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I hope not.

No, the office is technically closed for Memorial day, but calls are still routed to the on-call number if they come in. Since it's a holiday, those not normally on-call would take a turn, basically.

e: I don't have all the details since I :yotj:'d to this position last month.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Agrikk posted:

I hope not.

When do normal on call schedules roll over? Ours is Monday-Monday, technically at some weird mid-morning time, but that's due to an ancient problem with handing off the on call laptop and Blackberry. The reason is long gone, but the process will live on forever.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We do Monday - Monday as well. We used to do Friday - Friday.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Tuesday - Tuesday, that removes any ambiguity about handover on weekends with a Monday off. You are only responsible for 5P-8A, anything during normal hours everyone responds to.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 29, 2021

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

devmd01 posted:

Tuesday - Tuesday, that removes any ambiguity about handover on weekends with a Monday off. You are only responsible for 5P-8A, anything during normal hours everyone responds to.

For this reason we do Wednesday to Wednesday. It’s sucks to have a rotation start/end in a Monday, thereby potentially disrupting two people’s weekends. Same with Fridays.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I didn't mind working Friday night into Saturday on a holiday weekend.

I didn't mind working the Monday either.

What I do mind is not one drat ticket came in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Things making me mad today: having to put on business casual for the first time in months and commute to the office this afternoon for a certification. How quickly teleworking has spoiled me.

:mad:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They are surveying all of the office employees about their work preferences once the office is opened back up, couldn’t mash that WFH checkbox fast enough.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got publicly called out by a director for not having taken a security training yet, which is a bit embarrassing considering I am the security officer. Except I took it months ago as part of the pilot phase before this director even worked here and it apparently never recorded my progress.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems like something that could have been clarified in a private conversation instead of a public one.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

I got publicly called out by a director for not having taken a security training yet, which is a bit embarrassing considering I am the security officer. Except I took it months ago as part of the pilot phase before this director even worked here and it apparently never recorded my progress.

I got email shamed for not finishing a third party course whose entire online presence was in flash and quit working on Jan 1

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Working on benefits and deduction imports and just found out that they’ve swapped columns at random in their export and the file doesn’t have a header row so I can try to map it out myself.

Also, just found out that our account rep is on vacation this week and didn’t give us a heads up about who to contact while they’re out. :argh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tactlessbastard posted:

I got email shamed for not finishing a third party course whose entire online presence was in flash and quit working on Jan 1

I email shamed for not updating a ticket when there's nothing to say and I can't give them equipment they won't let them have.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Internet Explorer posted:

Seems like something that could have been clarified in a private conversation instead of a public one.

Yeah I'm a little annoyed but it's a bit of an edge case that I can't blame her for not considering first. Just hate to look like I'm slacking.

I get to take the training a second time now to make it official. :argh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m really getting annoyed with work from homer engineers making me come on site at 6am to babysit their latest disaster downtime in it’s becoming.

Like I’m sure it’s no problem for people who don’t have to commute anywhere and can just go back to bed after the change but gently caress I already barely get enough sleep as it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We seem to be back to the bad days of Teams taking forever to provision for users. Today it took 6-7 hours for freshly licensed resource accounts to become available to assign numbers to.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We have an OHSA e-training that needs to be done yearly. We only have one course in the system though, so the way to do it every year is to delete your old results and then do it again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Asking for a "professional headshot" for a Teams picture in 2021 is violence.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My icon in slack is a drawing of a rat in a cage, I am actually 13 years old and think this is very funny and clever.

No one's ever commented on it though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can I interest you in the work of Steve Payne?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...5&bih=762&dpr=3

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Can I interest you in the work of Steve Payne?

Amazing. I should totally do this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

My icon in slack is a drawing of a rat in a cage, I am actually 13 years old and think this is very funny and clever.

No one's ever commented on it though.

For years my Teams icon was a nu from Chrono Trigger. Then I moved to a different team and they demanded an actual photo. I never voluntarily take pictures of myself. I actively avoid being in pictures taken by others. So now my icon is a selfie I took drunk the night after we were required to have pictures. You go down the team list and it's all nice looking portraits in dress clothes, and then me grinning maniacally, in weird lighting at a Dutch angle. I've received complements.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, I showed the wife the picture I am planning on using and she said that I looked like a space lord, so mission accomplished I guess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My direct boss has bailed, and we lost one of the other guys on the team last week who is still pretty early in his career and took an 18 month contract with a huge company to get experience working in a massive corporate. That was 50% of our small team so I'm going to have to :yotj: as well to avoid a metric ton of poo poo becoming my problem.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
ask for all of their salaries combined

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My boss seems to have forgotten that I'm on 50% sick leave and also aren't supposed to be doing anything considered stressful if it can be avoided.

Thus I find myself being the principal SCADA engineer (at our company, not the entire thing, thank gently caress) for a huge railway project :cripes:
That includes the usual nag about when poo poo will be done, despite verbal assurances going in that that wouldn't be going on.

The yearly mandated and logged one-on-one is tomorrow :munch:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm currently hourly. Boss wants me to convert to salary with about an 8% raise. Totally not worth it, right? I don't get any overtime right now so it would definitely be a pay raise but part of being hourly is that I never have to work nights or weekends, and as salary I occasionally would (maybe 3 evenings per month and one Saturday / month).

Right now I work alternating weeks of 4 x 10 hour shifts on week 1, and 5 eights week 2, two of those days are wfh.

Salary would probably give me 1-2 extra wfh days every two weeks. All other benefits are the same.

The flip side is that there is only one higher hourly position, which I would probably qualify for at the end of the year, it should be a 15% pay bump. But the salary position has more headroom, ultimately capping out at 30% more than I make right now.

I guess writing it out, going salary seems like the practical choice. But I sure do like always leaving work at work and every evening and weekend is my own.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Being salary does not mean the company owns your personal time or that you have to give up your weekends or put in any extra time whatsoever.

Also salary is not universally overtime exempt, so check your local labor laws.

Salary is fine, set boundaries and enforce them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My company is hiring a new CISO as the previous one retired. We have interviewed one guy that is a referral of the CIO, the day the job was posted. He was a very nice guy, but his resume was as paper tiger as it gets. He also listed "defcon leadership" , hacking, and mastery level "cloud skills" in his resume. He folded under the most basic of questions. He only spoke is the most vague of answers that mostly weren't even coherent.

Here are some of the questions he was asked(not all of them, just some simple soft balls)...

*What is your preferred platform for security policy publication/storage?
*You listed you are a Microsoft MVP, how did you attain it?
*What is the concept of "least privilege".
*What would consider important topics in a cloud security roadmap (or any roadmap)?
*How would you handle issues with leadership adoptions of unpopular security initiatives?
*We see all your defcon mentions, can you walk us through panels/presentations/etc that you were a part of?

He could not give coherent answers to these very basic questions. He could speak enough to probably fool my 6 year old into believing he had any clue what he was talking about, but his answers did not match up with what you would expect for a person with 18 years of CISO experience. These weren't even technical questions!

Turns out, he now has a meeting with the CEO tomorrow. Considering we haven't interviewed anyone else, he is 100% my new boss. I somehow think I deserve this.