Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Is that Netflix translation of EVA worth watching? I heard it's not great, a buddy of mine still has the box set ADV put out years and years ago so should I kirst watch that, cause I haven't watched it since it was on toonami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I gotta find a place to watch the Cobra series. I watched three episodes and said it was the coolest thing I'd seen and I wanted to pace myself on it, and then when I went to look again it was gone

if the tv show was as stupid & cool as the movie ill have to check it out myself

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
its fine, they just inexplicably didnt get the license for 'fly me to the moon'

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Armor Hunter Mellowlink is a super 80s style short series about a sole survivor from an infantry squad in a mech based setting that goes on a revenge journey to murder all his former commanding officers. It's pretty pulpy but satisfying when the main guy sets up traps and takes out mechs with over confident pilots on foot.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

I've been listening to city pop like a loving dork and now I want to watch 80s/90s anime

what does this thread recommend?

Eggplant Squire posted:

Armor Hunter Mellowlink is a super 80s short series about a sole survivor from an infantry squad in a mech based setting that goes on a revenge journey to murder all his former commanding officers. It's pretty pulpy but satisfying when the main guy sets up traps and takes out mechs with over confident pilots on foot.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Is that Netflix translation of EVA worth watching? I heard it's not great, a buddy of mine still has the box set ADV put out years and years ago so should I kirst watch that, cause I haven't watched it since it was on toonami

my understanding is the translation is botched because they literally got the first draft script the ADV guys got and threw away. watch the original imo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if the tv show was as stupid & cool as the movie ill have to check it out myself

it rocked. the aesthetic of it blew me away

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lupin, Dirty Pair, and City Hunter are fun 80s shows with good animation. Also Patlabor like someone else suggested.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Animatrix is also real good, the true (and only) sequel to the Matrix

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Animatrix 2nd Renaissance is one of the CSPAMmiest things ever made. As is Patlabor 2.

I know there's already enough recommendations to last a month, but you can't go wrong with any of Mamoru Oshii's anime movies. Even Yurusei Yatsura 1&2 are incredible.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

its fine, they just inexplicably didnt get the license for 'fly me to the moon'

Okay, cause I remember the translation being contentious with people

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Satoshi Kon's movies are good too.

Also Legend of the Galactic Heroes (dunno if the recent stuff is better than the original run)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

have you seen the patlabor "early days" ova series + the 1st and 2nd movies?? thats a good time right there

Patlabor 2 is an incredible movie and one the few anime titles I own

It has a weird situation with the dubs though - the first by Manga Entertainment isn't completely accurate and suffers from having a stable of maybe 8 or 9 voice actors total so there are a bunch of characters and supporting voices that are exactly the same, but Peter Marinker is fantastic as Goto and the script still grasps a lot of the underlying ideology

The redub is more accurate but the voices, while more professional, are somehow less engaging? Like everyone is just going through the motions and Goto's actor, while fine, is pretty indistinct and there's nothing about the other performances that stand out.

Honestly, I prefer the original one, despite its faults, but its still better to watch subbed at the end of the day

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

I think the one thing that really pissed people off is the translation made it seem like Kaworu's interest in Shinji was less gay than was originally implied. Dunno if they fixed that or whatever. If you watch the Netflix version, just keep in mind that Kaworu is gay for Shinji. In fact, in all alternate universe cash-in versions of Evangelion, Kaworu is unrequitably gay for Shinji.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Zerilan posted:

Satoshi Kon's movies are good too.

Also Legend of the Galactic Heroes (dunno if the recent stuff is better than the original run)

the new thesis is not great, but it takes a lot to stand up to the ova lol

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue is actually related to city pop to a degree, being about an idol singer suffering an identity crisis under capitalism in the 90s.

I know everybody loves to pay homage to the guy but seriously, its a great movie.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KomradeX posted:

The translation is definitely lower quality than the original, and weirdly stilted/overly literal in a lot of ways. And that's before you get into stuff like the 'questionable' Kaworu decisions or the actual literal nazi it turns out they had doing some of the subs, though I forget if it was the english CC script or one of the other languages that issue came up with.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my understanding is the translation is botched because they literally got the first draft script the ADV guys got and threw away.

Got it I'll borrow it from my friend

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I don't understand why there isn't a Legend of the Galactic Heroes thread in C-SPAM.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The translation is definitely lower quality than the original, and weirdly stilted/overly literal in a lot of ways. And that's before you get into stuff like the 'questionable' Kaworu decisions or the actual literal nazi it turns out they had doing some of the subs, though I forget if it was the english CC script or one of the other languages that issue came up with.

Oh I missed that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

broken record on this I know, but "overly literal" is an issue with Discotek's subs for HNI. I understand wanting to be true to the script, but I don't think some people realize the power of localizing something so that it sounds/reads naturally

speaking of which

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1399531147839877123

will be interested to see what titles they might unveil, even if I have absolutely zero interest in the magical girl, slice of life, soap opera, etc etc stuff they typically have lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My favorite thing about Oshii's movies is how they'll always take time to focus on vignettes of dreamlike otherworldliness when the logic of reality gets turned on its head. Like the alienating urbanscape of Hong Kong canals in GitS, or the martial law scene in Patlabor 2.

GoLambo posted:

I don't understand why there isn't a Legend of the Galactic Heroes thread in C-SPAM.

Even with as many episodes as there are, there's not that much to talk about. LotGH talk has been done to death.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GoLambo posted:

your posting in it!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite thing about Oshii's movies is how they'll always take time to focus on vignettes of dreamlike otherworldliness when the logic of reality gets turned on its head. Like the alienating urbanscape of Hong Kong canals in GitS, or the martial law scene in Patlabor 2.

both of those scenes are incredible - I've always appreciated how he's willing to let certain scenes linger with minimal sound/music

he was one of the guys we talked about in one of my movie classes in college about the power of "show, don't tell"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

both of those scenes are incredible - I've always appreciated how he's willing to let certain scenes linger with minimal sound/music

he was one of the guys we talked about in one of my movie classes in college about the power of "show, don't tell"

Yurusei Yatsura 2 has a lot of moments like that. Conceptually it's really simple, the whole gang of main characters mysteriously end up in a Tokyo where everyone has vanished except themselves. So they're just living lives based on what's available while trying to figure out how they ended up that way. You don't even have to know anything about Yurusei Yatsura (I don't), it sells itself purely on its visuals.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Oshii and Kon are two of the best directors to ever live imo. Ghost in the Shell 2 is like Oshii's version of a Scorsese movie and I think it's underrated.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yurusei Yatsura 2 has a lot of moments like that. Conceptually it's really simple, the whole gang of main characters mysteriously end up in a Tokyo where everyone has vanished except themselves. So they're just living lives based on what's available while trying to figure out how they ended up that way. You don't even have to know anything about Yurusei Yatsura (I don't), it sells itself purely on its visuals.

I saw it when I was young and it made an impression on me, I didn't even realize it was oshii until I was a lot older. The dude just tooling around in the tank ruled.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gonna become a Blu-Ray guy but just for anime movies from the 80s and 90s and maybe some 2000s.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokyo Godfathers belongs in the Christmas canon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCbUMEooHhI

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Blockbuster was complete without the Manga Video lineup.

e: another big selling point of Oshii's political/military dramas is that they get even more interesting the deeper your political and history education gets. Like, Jin-Roh makes way more sense the more you know about the history of fascism & the decline of fascist holdout states in Europe. All the internal agency conflicts and intrigue that seem to clutter up the narrative when you're a teenaged knownothing end up being completely recontextualized.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Jun 2, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you'r einterested in old anime check out Kyoto Video, it's good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwEVtQ49w6A

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

spacemang_spliff posted:

I've been listening to city pop like a loving dork and now I want to watch 80s/90s anime

what does this thread recommend?

samurai pizza cats

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Good soup! posted:

broken record on this I know, but "overly literal" is an issue with Discotek's subs for HNI. I understand wanting to be true to the script, but I don't think some people realize the power of localizing something so that it sounds/reads naturally

lol I like the english that comes out of bad Japanese-to-English translations sometimes.

translation is translation, but even if you say that, trying to stick close to the spirit of the script is really admirable!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tokyo Godfathers belongs in the Christmas canon.

It's the only Christmas movie that is an absolute yearly watch for me and whatever family/friends I'm with..

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol I like the english that comes out of bad Japanese-to-English translations sometimes.

translation is translation, but even if you say that, trying to stick close to the spirit of the script is really admirable!

Yeah, it's not necessarily a bad thing and I know some people prefer it that way, but when there's a crowd pumped up from a boxing match and the lines coming from spectators is just strictly bland lines like "This match is full of thrills!" it just comes across as a little odd to me

I'm sure that, yes, that's exactly what they're saying and I don't need every line to be like the fansubs of yesteryear where it was stuff like "gently caress yeah, this match kicks loving rear end!", or hell even the dub where Takamura talks about "opening a can of whoopass" in his spar against Sendo though that's also a victim of poor delivery

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Eggplant Squire posted:

Armor Hunter Mellowlink is a super 80s style short series about a sole survivor from an infantry squad in a mech based setting that goes on a revenge journey to murder all his former commanding officers. It's pretty pulpy but satisfying when the main guy sets up traps and takes out mechs with over confident pilots on foot.

mellowlink is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySnuPN_3Xts

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Good soup! posted:

Yeah, it's not necessarily a bad thing and I know some people prefer it that way, but when there's a crowd pumped up from a boxing match and the lines coming from spectators is just strictly bland lines like "This match is full of thrills!" it just comes across as a little odd to me

I'm sure that, yes, that's exactly what they're saying and I don't need every line to be like the fansubs of yesteryear where it was stuff like "gently caress yeah, this match kicks loving rear end!", or hell even the dub where Takamura talks about "opening a can of whoopass" in his spar against Sendo though that's also a victim of poor delivery

it's something that's annoying but that I have a hard time getting bent out of shape about because translators are so poorly paid for the amount of work they have to do or they're working entirely for free.

More naturalistic translation would be ideal but that requires the translators to have a very strong grasp of all the nuances of the dialogue and the ability to express them well in English which can be a lot to ask. At least we're not getting things like the Big Green dub anymore

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

A true 90's kid would track down the anime that has this guy in it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Feldegast42 posted:

A true 90's kid would track down the anime that has this guy in it

Nazca

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's real fun

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Armored Trooper Votoms is still an underrated franchise. It's still way harder to watch any of it than it ought to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's something that's annoying but that I have a hard time getting bent out of shape about because translators are so poorly paid for the amount of work they have to do or they're working entirely for free.

More naturalistic translation would be ideal but that requires the translators to have a very strong grasp of all the nuances of the dialogue and the ability to express them well in English which can be a lot to ask. At least we're not getting things like the Big Green dub anymore

oh yeah, most def, they're paid like poo poo which really sucks

guessing they would just need a better team of editors at the end of the day, but that aint happening at anime companies in 2021 lol