Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

high level play is great if you and your whole squad are onboard and your dm is capable of just making up high level threats because if you thought the CR system was bad before level 12 just wait until they also have magical items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

High Level D&D is a political game and that isn't quite articulated in the rules. You can't continue to play like a dungeon crawl or it all falls apart. You need to be managing kingdoms and wizard schools and stuff.

It's not, though. That's just what you have to make it in order for everything to hold together.

In every conceivable way, the game instructs you that it is a Dungeon Crawl from start to finish.

Like, my level 18 Paladin ability isn't "Convince Seneschal", it's an increase to my Aura...a combat ability. 15th level? Combat ability. 20th level? Combat ability.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Devorum posted:

It's not, though. That's just what you have to make it in order for everything to hold together.

In every conceivable way, the game instructs you that it is a Dungeon Crawl from start to finish.

Like, my level 18 Paladin ability isn't "Convince Seneschal", it's an increase to my Aura...a combat ability. 15th level? Combat ability. 20th level? Combat ability.

A thing from 1e that never ought to have been abandoned was high level Fighters just getting a literal army of followers.

FFT posted:

Yep, the talisman of Pact of the Talisman doesn't require attunement. The only important thing (mechanically) is keeping track of who's wearing it.
Gonna have to just ban all full-casters at that rate tbh, bards and druids can absolutely break everything at high levels too.

The Druid/Bard 7-9th level spell lists have substantially less bullshit, IMO. Though I suppose Magical Secrets is a thing I always forget about, so sure. Also, multi class full casters is fine. Just no double digit level counts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

I forget what edition it was (4th?) but one DMG specifically divides the experience of play into several stages and talks about how things will change as the party levels; it also compares the party to a developing dragon. It's only maybe a page of text, but it's there. Like everything else in every DMG it suffers from comparison to an entire internet's worth of article and forum posts.

When I go back and read old DMGs, I mostly find very good advice that I failed to internalize correctly at the time.

CaptainPsyko posted:

A thing from 1e that never ought to have been abandoned was high level Fighters just getting a literal army of followers.

Not just fighters, everyone built some kind of structure and gained followers; I have to agree that the money and power in older editions was designed to turn the players from mercenaries to the heads of established institutions within the game world.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not just fighters, everyone built some kind of structure and gained followers; I have to agree that the money and power in older editions was designed to turn the players from mercenaries to the heads of established institutions within the game world.

Yeah but the level of scaling was clear; Wizards got, like, A Tower and An Apprentice.

Fighters got a literal army.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm seriously tempted, the next game I run years from now since I'll take a break after running this 5e game, is a modest length 2e game. (I'll invert THACO and AC).

Another thing problem with the shift from 2e: Warriors had "incomparables" that distinguished then from other classes: extra attacks per level and exceptional physical attributes.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

dnd 5e specifies tiers of play as well, and the game does function very well as a dungeon crawler at higher levels, you just need to be more prepared as a DM. my level 20 campaign ending final boss had 4 pages of notes, 2500 hp, a 9 minute boss battle theme, and took like 6 hours to beat because of how many options high level dnd has

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm seriously tempted, the next game I run years from now since I'll take a break after running this 5e game, is a modest length 2e game. (I'll invert THACO and AC).

Another thing problem with the shift from 2e: Warriors had "incomparables" that distinguished then from other classes: extra attacks per level and exceptional physical attributes.

if you want to do this kind of stuff i highly recommend the game "old school essentials", i picked up their rules tome a while back and it is one of the best written things i ever read.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

You are not entirely right, scope out page 36-38 of the 5e DMG:

quote:

LEVELS 11-16: MASTERS OF THE
REALM

Characters of this level construct fortresses
on land deeded them by local rulers. They found guilds,
temples, or martial orders. They take on apprentices
or students of their own. They broker peace between
nations or lead them into war . And their formidable
reputations attract the attention of very powerful foes.

quote:

LEVELS 17-20: MASTERS OF THE
WORLD

Their ultimate destinies come to
pass. A cleric might be taken up into the heavens to
serve as a god's right hand. A warlock could become
a patron to other warlocks. Perhaps a wizard unlocks
the secret to immortality (or undeath) and spends eons
exploring the farthest reaches of the multiverse. A druid
might become one with the land, transforming into a
nature spirit of a particular place or an aspect of the
wild. Other characters could found clans or dynasties
that revere the memory of their honored ancestors
from generation to generation, create masterpieces of
epic literature that are sung and retold for thousands
of years , or establish guilds or orders that keep the
adventurers' principles and dreams alive

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 2, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pog boyfriend posted:

my level 20 campaign ending final boss had 4 pages of notes, 2500 hp, a 9 minute boss battle theme, and took like 6 hours to beat

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When we finally fought The Dragon in DarkSun, at I think level 18 or 19 in 5e, it was shockingly quick; the desert wind attack didn't kill or maim the group (as it had before), we actually hit, and the boss HP was dropping by massive chunks. He was taking down party members at an alarming rate, but he ended up running out of HP before we ran out of standing party members.

Edit: Our GM was literally an accountant, so I have no idea if he is just masterful at balancing monsters.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

level 20 turns take forever man. im never doing this again lol

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

That tier 4 paragraph singling out a bunch of full casters and following up with "other characters" seems pretty telling of dev priorities.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Staltran posted:

That tier 4 paragraph singling out a bunch of full casters and following up with "other characters" seems pretty telling of dev priorities.

Just completely unwilling to have "non magical" classes posses any sense of wonder.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

pog boyfriend posted:

level 20 turns take forever man. im never doing this again lol

Better or worse than level 10 pathfinder turns?

*pewpewpew* gotcha Pathfinder

running rise of the runelords is driving me slowly to madness

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just completely unwilling to have "non magical" classes posses any sense of wonder.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to say that a person who uses magic, a literal capacity to manipulate the stuff of the world by sheer force of will, is going to be more wondrous than someone who cannot. The choice to play a non-magic user is basically the choice to be something more mundane and worldly. I don't think that's a bad thing per se, but whether or not it's good, it follows logically, I think.

I suppose if a game designer really want classes to be balanced in this narrative regard you could say that a high level fighter is in fact overtly supernatural, being capable of strking through the stuff of reality with the force and skill of their weaponmastery. Otherwise, all a level 20 fighter has to their name is being the best at killing people with weapons. There's only so many nails that hammer can strike.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rutibex posted:

Love the idea of a warlock who hates their patron becoming a patron and handing out power secondhand just like "uhhh yeah I'm the big guy, not just an adventurer, don't kill me when you get to level 20 cus I'm a lich or devil or something"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Having played as a lvl 15 Psion/Thrallherd with a Druid and Cleric as a Thrall, I am positive that no high level DND turn takes as long as a DND 3.5 turn. (This is a good thing about DND 5e, high level turns are shorter)

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

change my name posted:

Love the idea of a warlock who hates their patron becoming a patron and handing out power secondhand just like "uhhh yeah I'm the big guy, not just an adventurer, don't kill me when you get to level 20 cus I'm a lich or devil or something"

warlock pyramid schemes ftw

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Smh the Warlock should move to become a god.

Make the people who follow you Clerics of you. So much more power to be gained that way, to eventually overthrow your own patron.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Why do you want to overthrow your patron? Just quit and start your own warlock scheme, with blackjack and hookers. Unless you expect your patron to try to kill you if you quit, of course.

Not that becoming a god if you can pull it off wouldn't probably be good, but you don't need to set your sights so high.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Usually Patron's don't like it when their followers get more powerful than them.

Also tying your power to someone else's grace is bad form when you can help it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Not sure what you mean by "tying your power to some else's grace"?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I absolutely plan for my Warlock to end up like the end if Mr. Norrell and Jonathan Strange; that Fey is absolutely not a good person or her friend and she's eventually going to want out. We agreed to this in broad principle ahead of time, so I'm not going to be slowly poisoning a player's idea of how things are.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Staltran posted:

Not sure what you mean by "tying your power to some else's grace"?

You have to keep them happy to retain your power - hence the phrase "staying in their good graces." As a result you cannot act independently and aren't actually as powerful as you might think.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

You have to keep them happy to retain your power - hence the phrase "staying in their good graces." As a result you cannot act independently and aren't actually as powerful as you might think.

this is not true of warlocks, it is actually a really common misconception. warlocks are given a seed of power by their patron but their ability is their own and they are not beholden to their patron in any way. you can make the warlocks be that way if you want but it isnt the intent of the class

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pog boyfriend posted:

this is not true of warlocks, it is actually a really common misconception. warlocks are given a seed of power by their patron but their ability is their own and they are not beholden to their patron in any way. you can make the warlocks be that way if you want but it isnt the intent of the class

At low levels that makes sense, as a warlock tends to be such a piddly thing compared to whatever power planted the seed that the power in question just plain doesn't care or have time to micromanage what such a player character is doing. Presumably whatever deal led to the power being given has already been made and the terms have already been meted out, whether that's a soul contract or something more esoteric.

That said, I think it's reasonable for a DM to put the patron on the board as an entity when a PC gets up there in the levels. An archfey or fiend might start caring about the recipient of their power if they could potentially be working at cross purposes from the patron's interest.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

At low levels that makes sense, as a warlock tends to be such a piddly thing compared to whatever power planted the seed that the power in question just plain doesn't care or have time to micromanage what such a player character is doing. Presumably whatever deal led to the power being given has already been made and the terms have already been meted out, whether that's a soul contract or something more esoteric.

That said, I think it's reasonable for a DM to put the patron on the board as an entity when a PC gets up there in the levels. An archfey or fiend might start caring about the recipient of their power if they could potentially be working at cross purposes from the patron's interest.

i think having the patron in the game is a must. i am just saying the patron doesnt directly provide power with a tap they can turn off to make you a powerless nobody. i think rather than the patron saying "no more eldritch blast actually" they send other warlocks after you, and this is better, but i see and respect the plot line of being depowered also

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I wasn't even talking about being depowered necessarily.

I was mostly talking about general this person you have a deal or made a pact with, Is still likely more powerful than you. And there's only like so much more powerful a player can get.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, if there were a class that were dependent on another entity to retain their powers, it'd be clerics. Even then, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some fluff in the PHB somewhere about how clerics derive their power through their personal faith in the ideals they're pursuing or something, instead of being given them by their god. That's basically how paladins work now.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, if there were a class that were dependent on another entity to retain their powers, it'd be clerics. Even then, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some fluff in the PHB somewhere about how clerics derive their power through their personal faith in the ideals they're pursuing or something, instead of being given them by their god. That's basically how paladins work now.

That is how clerics work RAW. In settings without gods, or where gods don't really interfere in mortal affairs, it's where you get your power from even if you're worshipping a platonic ideal like "courage" or "fire" etc.

Still, if your god came down and told you "hey I'm disowning you and stripping you of your powers for heresy," I'm pretty sure the traditional cleric would lose faith (and hence their spellcasting abilities)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gods tend to like powerful clerics. I'm sure another god would show up and starting singing Joe songs.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pog boyfriend posted:

i think having the patron in the game is a must. i am just saying the patron doesnt directly provide power with a tap they can turn off to make you a powerless nobody. i think rather than the patron saying "no more eldritch blast actually" they send other warlocks after you, and this is better, but i see and respect the plot line of being depowered also

High level warlocks seek to renegotiate the terms of the deal; instead of depending on the patron as a benefactor, they seek to subjugate the 'patron' to their own will, tapping into their power for their own ends, and perhaps even coming to dominate or bind the patron entirely.

(This obvs works betters for some warlocks than others. It seems like the natural endgame for Fiend/Fey locks for example)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dexo posted:

Gods tend to like powerful clerics. I'm sure another god would show up and starting singing Joe songs.

Yeah, my impression of clerics is that they're like especially sensitive radio receivers tuned to the bandwidth gods broadcast on. That makes you a hot commodity among the divine, because you're the most direct vessel for their influence on the material plane. If one god rejects you, some other god who thinks you could be used to further their agenda would be willing to make a covenant with you for clerical powers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pog boyfriend posted:

This is the best way to see Warlocks. We already have a class that gets all their powers directly from an outside source, Clerics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I believe the Official Word is that patrons give or teach power to the warlock, and it belongs to the warlock and can't be revoked. But the patron can do other nasty things if you don't do what it wants-- curse you, send agents, etc.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
5e has shied away from giving, or in the case of paladins outright refused to give, rules for shutting off a class' powers after sufficiently pissing off whatever was giving them magic, be they heretical clerics or disobedient warlocks. If you're at the point where you're at odds with your patron, it should be a conversation between you and your DM.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Froghammer posted:

5e has shied away from giving, or in the case of paladins outright refused to give, rules for shutting off a class' powers after sufficiently pissing off whatever was giving them magic, be they heretical clerics or disobedient warlocks. If you're at the point where you're at odds with your patron, it should be a conversation between you and your DM.

Being at Odds with your patron is completely fair for a DM to do.

Anything involving the taking of player power/agency away should definitely be a convo with the GM though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Rutibex posted:

This runs smack into the problem that it's all "DM Empowerment" with no real rules that they heroically charged you 50 bucks for. Founding a dynasty or religious order seems like something that should have actual, you know, rules, as those things tend to get into conflicts with other religious orders and states and questions like "how many troops can I field", "how are we feeding those troops", "how can I as an 18th level fighter influence the outcome of a siege", "can I make a treaty of alliance with those necromancers and bring them into the fight," etc.

It's pretty telling that the rulebooks talk a lot about the different tiers of play but when you look at the abilities PCs get it's just fighting orcs with bigger numbers. Look at the pit fiend. It's supposed to be a ruler of hell who commands devil legions, and aside from a lovely fireball and paralyzing one guy, it's just an auto attack orc.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Jack B Nimble posted:

I absolutely plan for my Warlock to end up like the end if Mr. Norrell and Jonathan Strange; that Fey is absolutely not a good person or her friend and she's eventually going to want out. We agreed to this in broad principle ahead of time, so I'm not going to be slowly poisoning a player's idea of how things are.

I don't really have much of a plan for my Archfey Warlock's long term goals, but he'll definitely be a bit wary of his patron - especially since 15 days in the Feywild turned into 15 years on the mortal plane - giving a 15 year head-start to the people who wronged the Warlock. The Warlock is going to need the patron's help more than he was expecting. All the Warlock really knows is that his patron plucked him out of a life-or-death situation and that they definitely want something in return.

In any Session 0, I will talk to the DM about this, because I have no interest in playing this character if the patron isn't going to be communicating and giving information or orders to the Warlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This runs smack into the problem that it's all "DM Empowerment" with no real rules that they heroically charged you 50 bucks for. Founding a dynasty or religious order seems like something that should have actual, you know, rules, as those things tend to get into conflicts with other religious orders and states and questions like "how many troops can I field", "how are we feeding those troops", "how can I as an 18th level fighter influence the outcome of a siege", "can I make a treaty of alliance with those necromancers and bring them into the fight," etc.

It's pretty telling that the rulebooks talk a lot about the different tiers of play but when you look at the abilities PCs get it's just fighting orcs with bigger numbers. Look at the pit fiend. It's supposed to be a ruler of hell who commands devil legions, and aside from a lovely fireball and paralyzing one guy, it's just an auto attack orc.

This is why I love the Rules Cyclopedia. One compact book but they still manage to include a kingdom building and a mass combat system.

I think the design philosophy for 5e is just different than other print editions. Wizards of the Coast is taking a lot more "hands off" approach and encouraging home brew material with DMs guild. I think this is better to be honest. Back in the 3.5 edition day there was an official book for everything, but only one. So you could get rules for opening a shop, but maybe they suck? Then what do you do? With DMs guild there are 4 different ways to do epic levels, 6 different types of Witch class, 4 interpretations of a playable Beholder, etc. The rules for kingdom building you are after exist for 5e:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/317722/Player-Kingdom-Management--Player-Owned-Kingdom-Rules