Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Deakul posted:

Man, if Celeste's price scares you then you might not want to look up Shovel Knight. :laugh:

Not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Probably because it dips as low as $5 on sale. I'd entirely recommend it at full price if you're into the Meat Boy realm of highly kinetic, lightning-fast die-and-retry platformers. There's a full campaign with a 100% completion incentive, then there's the super-hard secret levels, then there's the EXTRA super hard secret secret levels and I think maybe even another layer beyond that?? It's got a laser-focused design and there's plenty of content, is what I'm saying.

I'm not grrrrrreeeaaat at those kinds of games, so full price is a hard sell where I feel like I may not finish the game. I think I'll wait for something closer to 5 or 10.

Deakul posted:

Man, if Celeste's price scares you then you might not want to look up Shovel Knight. :laugh:

Lol. It's funny how a small difference in quality and/or praise received for an indie game can change the profit potential so much and for so long.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

there was even a week or month or something where celeste was one of those free to keep games on epic games but also that requires installing the epic games store which is part of the reason why i've not played my free copy of celeste

I’ve bought some stuff on EGS and always end up rebuying it on Steam later so I actually remember it exists and play it.

Also EGS sucks for cloud saves and my traveling for work means that being able to go between my desktop and laptop seamlessly is really helpful so I’d typically much rather have it on Steam. One day I’ll just wait for the Steam release. One day.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

celeste quite famously has a super god mode setting for people to get through the game even if they're not that good at it

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Play posted:

Speaking of Celeste, why the hell is it still 20 dollars on steam?
Long term pricing is an issue for a lot of games. Instead of reducing base price they offer increasingly steep discounts. I have no idea if it's a good strategy, but the common thinking from devs/publishers does seem to be that a tiny trickle of sales at a higher price and bigger % discount on sale is better than a more accessible base price and smaller % discount. $20 base price is pretty common for indie games of Celeste's notability.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Celeste was also part of the big Itch.io bundle so you probably have it already. Unless you didn't buy that, but do you really want to admit openly you didn't take that opportunity to acquire a lot of games that you will never play. In the Steam thread of all places? That would be oh so shameful!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 2, 2021

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So I'm once again trying to finish Pillars of Eternity (I always have a good time with the first score hours or so even if I don't finish it), and is it the case that I should just delegate one character to lore and one to mechanics and beyond that, every character gains some benefit from leveling stealth, athletics and survival equally?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mierenneuker posted:

I bought Pyre last year (having completely forgotten I already had a copy via the big Itch.io bundle)

Regardless of game quality, thank you for reminding me that I bought this and it has Pyre, which I shall now try.

I need a Chrome extension that lets me know if something was in that stupid bundle any time I look at the store page of a game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

my shame is unending, sempai

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mr Snips posted:

I've finally got round to playing CrossCode after having it in my steam library for god knows how long.

I'm kinda enjoying it, but does the game expect you to grind out levels in each area before moving on? I feel like I might have must've missed something because I suddenly hit a point where the enemies were a few levels above me and were taking much longer to kill, turning the fun combat into a slog.

The game never expects anything of you except to like doing puzzles. Skip any sidequests you want, do any sidequests you want, it's incredibly generous in either direction. Most importantly, though, don't get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do right at the beginning. Nothing ever goes away, you can always come back, and it is generally a very good idea to wait until after the first real dungeon to start digging into sidequests, because that's when the combat starts to open up considerably.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve bought some stuff on EGS and always end up rebuying it on Steam later so I actually remember it exists and play it.

I log into the Epic game store every week or so to add whatever the Hell the free game of the week is to my account and have never installed their launcher and probably never will. Jesus. I even convinced myself to buy Witcher 3 on there cause their $10 off coupon got it down to $4.99. There it sits, never to be played.

It's really the greatest goon gaming platform around. All collect. Never play.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

nessin posted:

Every person I've ever heard talk about the divide between people who prefer to play human vs non-human characters, and have actual data to back it up or are in a position where they've got more justification than random forum/social media user, always makes it clear that people do not actually ask repeatedly to play non-humans. The vast majority of players, when given the option, will still prefer to play as a human and do human things in their huge sci-fi universe.

I'll confess to being a shameful default to human player. I'd be totally fine playing something else if that other species was the set character, but if there are options I'm basically humanity all the way.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cowcaster posted:

i think pyre's great

i didn't care that much for the writing and characters (great art though) but the fantasy afterlife NBA owned p hard

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Play posted:

I'm not grrrrrreeeaaat at those kinds of games, so full price is a hard sell where I feel like I may not finish the game. I think I'll wait for something closer to 5 or 10.
Lol. It's funny how a small difference in quality and/or praise received for an indie game can change the profit potential so much and for so long.

There's a wealth of accessibility options that break the game in your favor and don't demean you for using them. it'll go on sale eventually but just putting that out there.

e:left a word out

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 2, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Wamdoodle posted:

There's a wealth of accessibility options that break the game in your favor and demean you for using them. it'll go on sale eventually but just putting that out there.

do you mean "DON'T demean you"? I can't remember any demeaning stuff in Celeste, apart from your save being flagged with a special icon

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xakura posted:

:hmmyes:
lol me2 was trash nonsense saved by strong characters.

The suicide mission was fantastic. :colbert:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Unless you got carried away by bugs

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Sinteres posted:

I'll confess to being a shameful default to human player. I'd be totally fine playing something else if that other species was the set character, but if there are options I'm basically humanity all the way.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes you just feel like being Han Solo or Captain Kirk.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ymgve posted:

do you mean "DON'T demean you"? I can't remember any demeaning stuff in Celeste, apart from your save being flagged with a special icon

LoL yes. The word was in my head but did not make it to my fingers

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

ymgve posted:

Yeah, the difficulty settings are really good and not at all judgey. I was happy to use them for the second appearance of the feather because I truly hated that thing, but that was the only blemish on a fantastic game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The non demeaning difficulties in games and “story difficulty” modes were something I dumbly scoffed at first but I realized it allowed way more people to play videogames who otherwise wouldn’t/couldn’t and it allowed my ex to get through Witcher 3 despite him not playing anything more demanding than your average match-three phone game.

three cheers for accessibility

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sighence posted:

Retroactively trans because the author has had a revelation is... Well I don't know how I feel about it, really. No personal context to latch off here.

As someone who is not trans and doesn't really have that context either, it does feel like insofar as Celeste is a pretty personal game inspired by the creator's struggles it seems more "legitimate" to retroactively make them trans. If Celeste was inspired by how the author felt, and it turns out those struggles were related to being trans, then it seems like the game sort of would already reflect that? Curious how trans ppl feel about it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

As someone who is nonbinary if nothing else, understanding gender identity is a confusing, long-winded, temporally fraught journey, and I think it's perfectly cool to say "yeah of course they're trans". If you're not in any way trans, it's trickier and potentially Rowling-grade stupid but somehow without the overt transphobia? Boy that's a comparison with a lot of layers.

Anyway, it's good. Madeline is trans because Madeline is trans, and if that was in flux when development of the game started, that adds a fascinating meta-layer to the whole thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so is the humble monthly always $12 for all the games now? is this a special thing to get me to resub?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Long term pricing is an issue for a lot of games. Instead of reducing base price they offer increasingly steep discounts. I have no idea if it's a good strategy, but the common thinking from devs/publishers does seem to be that a tiny trickle of sales at a higher price and bigger % discount on sale is better than a more accessible base price and smaller % discount. $20 base price is pretty common for indie games of Celeste's notability.

There was that one CEO who took over K-mart in 2001ish I think and decided to go away from the dumb constant-sales-every-week system to replace it with just lower base prices. It drove the company into the ground and they went bankrupt in 2002. Honest lower prices just don't attract customers nearly as much as "1 week sale 75% off buy buY BUY" even if they're the same price in the end.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

so is the humble monthly always $12 for all the games now? is this a special thing to get me to resub?

I think it's a promotion for past subscribers, they've been sending me emails for months. You get a set amount of months for $12 then it shifts back to the regular $20 or whatever it is (but you could probably cancel before that happens).

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There was that one CEO who took over K-mart in 2001ish I think and decided to go away from the dumb constant-sales-every-week system to replace it with just lower base prices. It drove the company into the ground and they went bankrupt in 2002. Honest lower prices just don't attract customers nearly as much as "1 week sale 75% off buy buY BUY" even if they're the same price in the end.

Turns out that you need to tickle the part of people's brains that make them think they're getting a great deal that they might otherwise miss out on.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

FOMO is a real thing even if it is stupid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think that was JCPenny.

K-mart/Sears was the libertarian venture capitalist who was determined to build a weird social media app using customer data, wanted the store departments to have to compete against each other for resources, gave copies of Ayn Rand to every director and would have screaming breakdown fits in board meetings.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I thought that was JC Penney, but yeah there's not an obvious answer as to which is correct. Walmart is in the "everyday low prices" game and it has worked well for them. It depends on what your product is, who your clientele is and what their expectations are. Changing approach the way a few of those retail stores did without clear messaging and a willingness to stick it out is a big risk. I think there were other management and pricing issues in those cases, though.

I think for games the FOMO discount model is so ingrained that, yeah, it probably is smart to keep a 10-30 base price and discount from there, regardless of whether it's optimal model in a vacuum.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s the Perceived Value of the product. People would prefer to buy Expensive product at a discount than the same product at low price. The latter would be treated as inferior or flawed in comparison.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zathril posted:

How did Amazing Cultivation Simulator turn out? it's on sale currently.
If you can handle looking up guides for everything, you can eventually create Dragonball characters and pick fights with dragons. There are also gods who bring people back from the dead or make them zombie slaves. There is tons of content for just about anything and you get immortal OP animal protectors who are stronger than anyone you can grow until end game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Pleads posted:

Regardless of game quality, thank you for reminding me that I bought this and it has Pyre, which I shall now try.

I need a Chrome extension that lets me know if something was in that stupid bundle any time I look at the store page of a game.

https://randombundlegame.com/browse

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you can handle looking up guides for everything, you can eventually create Dragonball characters and pick fights with dragons. There are also gods who bring people back from the dead or make them zombie slaves. There is tons of content for just about anything and you get immortal OP animal protectors who are stronger than anyone you can grow until end game.

I was watching Audish play it and one of his starting colonists was a turtle man. Turtle Man was an amazing builder, but he moved with all the swiftness of a turtle.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

any chance of changing this terrible thread title back to something good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Awesome! posted:

How often do you get to read the word obfuscate, much less three times in a row? It's quite a treat

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Awesome! posted:

Make this the new thread title

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Lowering the base price is invisible. Being in a sale puts you back on the frontpage with a big FOMO sticker.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Steam Thread: X69420-B00B1ES-P1SSP4NT

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

buglord posted:

Steam Thread: X69420-B00B1ES-P1SSP4NT

drat, bots already scraped it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Play posted:

How often do you get to read the word obfuscate, much less three times in a row? It's quite a treat

It's not unusual to see if you're familiar with Vampire: the Masquerade, because that's the name of the stealth power tree. Vampire is also where I learned the words "aegis," "chicanery," and "puissance", plus many other old-timey words, though I mangled the pronunciation of most of them for years.