Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Steel himself was fine, it's that it was one of the first comics I read where I actually absorbed the lore and also at the time Lex Luthor was pretending to be his own son and Supergirl was a purple alien that was dating Lex Luthor.

As someone who was not reading DC at the time but picked up a handful Reign of the Supermen books, that poo poo confused me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Maze uses the half-rotted face on the show a bunch. It would be expensive and hard to act in if they did it all the time. :shrug: The show is great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When I heard Lucifer was going to be a procedural I said no thanks. I have heard that the show is pretty good though but why have it be "based" on the comic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

When I heard Lucifer was going to be a procedural I said no thanks. I have heard that the show is pretty good though but why have it be "based" on the comic

I don't know either, when it went to Netflix it mostly gave up on the police procedural part, just half the cast were cops so it had to keep some of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

I was pretty pissed about that aspect because I felt the original story was a very compelling one that didn't need to be altered but TV execs are creatively bankrupt idiots who are encouraged to keep going back to the same well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm not completely current with Lucifer, but IMO the procedural stuff is infinity preferably to Lucifer's interminable pining over "The Detective"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'll forever be salty that there's basically no chance of ever getting a decent adaptation of Carey's 75-issue run on Lucifer now, no matter how good or not good the current TV show is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cptn_dr posted:

I'll forever be salty that there's basically no chance of ever getting a decent adaptation of Carey's 75-issue run on Lucifer now, no matter how good or not good the current TV show is.

1) There Never Was.
2) Probably a better chance now assuming the Netflix Sandman thing is well received.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'd sell my soul for a good Gwendoline Christie-led spin-off of the Netflix Sandman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I'd sell my soul for a good Gwendoline Christie-led spin-off of the Netflix Sandman

Yeah, Just call it Morningstar, would fit some of the themes a lot better anyways.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If it isn't too much of a spoiler could someone tell me if Lucifer creates an atheistic pocket universe in the TV show. This might get me interested in watching it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

If it isn't too much of a spoiler could someone tell me if Lucifer creates an atheistic pocket universe in the TV show. This might get me interested in watching it

No he doesn't.

He rips a hole in reality at one point but it was a deus ex machina and you never see inside it and he never goes there and tells them not to worship any gods, and there's probably no sentient life inside it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

David D. Davidson posted:

So some people are made that cast a non binary actor in sandman

to play a non binary character

https://www-thewrap-com.cdn.ampproj...31AQFKAGwASA%3D

Incredible headline. :discourse:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Skwirl posted:

No he doesn't.

He rips a hole in reality at one point but it was a deus ex machina and you never see inside it and he never goes there and tells them not to worship any gods, and there's probably no sentient life inside it.

They sent his mom there to make her own universe I thought? So eventually there might be life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

There was someone who complained that making Death black when she looks white in the comics would be the same as making Mazakeen in Lucifer white when she'd been portrayed as black in the Lucifer comics. Mazikeen was white in the comics. I like the show but I was a little annoyed about the portrayal of Mazikeen, not her skin color, but the fact that all of the skin on her face was there. Felt like a betrayal of the character.

In Carey's spin-off Lucifer, after the destruction of Lux Jill Presto finds a burned and dying Mazikeen in the wreckage and heals her with the Basanos. But because Jill didn't know what Mazikeen really looked like, she assumes her facial injuries had been sustained in the calamity and heals those too. Lucifer comments that Jill will want to be a long, long way away when Mazikeen wakes up.

I'm not going to go into more detail, but let's just say that Mazikeen agrees with you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Death appears as a Black skiing man to New Gods and as a rotting Flash dressed in black to Flashes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

She talked about interacting with aliens a few times, but I don't believe it was ever depicted. Dream is the one who turned into a big flaming head when Martian Manhunter sees him.

During the Death mini where she spends one day a year as a mortal she talks about how much more fun eating is than photosynthesis or having batteries installed and the kid with her asks 'huh' and she just says she's been doing it a long time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endless Mike posted:

Death appears as a Black skiing man to New Gods and as a rotting Flash dressed in black to Flashes

Death, the Black Racer, and the death Flash are all different characters!

DC has a lot of aspects of death as a concept, but I'm pretty sure Sandman Death is meant to be THE Death.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vandar posted:

Death, the Black Racer, and the death Flash are all different characters!

DC has a lot of aspects of death as a concept, but I'm pretty sure Sandman Death is meant to be THE Death.

The Endless Death is the universal concept of Death, like all the Endless are. It's also why they appear in any form from humans, to Martians, and even cats.

The Black Flash is the death for people touched by the Speed Force, probably because those people are capable of transcending space and time.

Black Racer is the New Gods god of death that possesses the body of a crippled Vietnam vet and is on skies because uh, yeah.

EDIT:

I guess it's implied in Sandman that all these aspects in one way or another go back to the Endless but it seems to be more of a minor aspect thing than it actually being the full Endless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

packetmantis posted:

They sent his mom there to make her own universe I thought? So eventually there might be life.

Yes, but there's no follow-up to it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Black Racer is the New Gods god of death that possesses the body of a crippled Vietnam vet and is on skies because uh, yeah.
EDIT:
He can also sire children, which I don't think is a thing the other aspects of Death in the DCU have done or can do.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Vincent posted:

He can also sire children, which I don't think is a thing the other aspects of Death in the DCU have done or can do.

The Endless can have children, and a couple of those children play significant roles in the comics plot.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

The Endless can have children, and a couple of those children play significant roles in the comics plot.

I forgot about Orpheus. Did the other Endless had kids too?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Desire does.

https://sandman.fandom.com/wiki/Unity_Kinkaid

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Endless Death is the universal concept of Death, like all the Endless are. It's also why they appear in any form from humans, to Martians, and even cats.

The Black Flash is the death for people touched by the Speed Force, probably because those people are capable of transcending space and time.

EDIT:

I guess it's implied in Sandman that all these aspects in one way or another go back to the Endless but it seems to be more of a minor aspect thing than it actually being the full Endless.

How does Nekron fit into this?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If memory serves the angle they went with Nekron was that as an emotional entity he's not actually Death or tied to her on a conceptual level but more a representation of how sentient beings feel about death made manifest

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

It's never come up with Death if the Endless, but Dream of the Endless could have kids,so I don't see why Death couldn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

It's never come up with Death if the Endless, but Dream of the Endless could have kids,so I don't see why Death couldn't.

Outside of her one mortal day each century, Death can't touch anything living without it dying. That would seem to raise certain barriers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what's this thread about

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

what's this thread about

Read the OP carefully.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I've read the OP and it doesn't mention Sandman even once so I'm still lost

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alaois posted:

what's this thread about

We talk about you behind your back

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I knew it!!!!!!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

From reading this page and the previous page, the current conversation seems to be about the comic "Sandman". Specifically, branching off of this post has been a brief discussion of the characters involved

David D. Davidson posted:

So some people are made that cast a non binary actor in sandman

to play a non binary character

https://www-thewrap-com.cdn.ampproj...31AQFKAGwASA%3D

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alaois posted:

I've read the OP and it doesn't mention Sandman even once so I'm still lost

It's a work in progress.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Alaois posted:

what's this thread about

About 200 pages.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This is the one thread were I'm glad to have derails, 'cause it means no one has come out as an abuser. At least.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/sisomm/status/1401461981098483717

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alpha Neil Gaiman starts a pit at Joy Division concerts and only drinks boxed wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm particularly fond of that issue of Sandman by Alpha Neil Gaiman where Dream wins the riddle contest in hell by putting out his cigar on the devil's face.