Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I could see disliking the writing for Paimon, but the intended characterization is very explicitly "foolish, greedy, and annoying" so the English VA absolutely nails it in terms of who the character is.

They also are modulating their voice a lot less than one might think, it's naturally super high pitched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone know about any anime that go for generic super deep demon voice for all of their characters instead of high pitched? Been wanting something where a character's talking to their little sister and they sound like Solid Snake.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I go with Chinese voices. They all sound at least decent, only downside is that when they're exploring or in battle and say something I have no idea how much they're insulting me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The jp voices have some of the biggest gulf of voice pitch, like people complaining about yanfei and eula.

Jp is also probably the intended voice since mihoyo has always put their budget first in Japanese and hired whoever was free to do Chinese voice within their own company.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i ended up switching JP-CN largely because of Xiao (hearing Kirito randomly in his lines always threw me) but now they're using one of my favorite VAs for Kazuha so guess i'm going back

the EN dub seems rough. having these availability issues on top of the already iffy direction isn't great

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

King of Bleh posted:

I could see disliking the writing for Paimon, but the intended characterization is very explicitly "foolish, greedy, and annoying" so the English VA absolutely nails it in terms of who the character is.

They also are modulating their voice a lot less than one might think, it's naturally super high pitched.

It's usually the case for sidekick characters like that they are given all the flaws in order to make the hero seem more heroic by comparison.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

RareAcumen posted:

Been wanting something where a character's talking to their little sister and they sound like Solid Snake.

Well there is Yurucamp, where you can listen to Solid Snake talk to their granddaughter. Anyway IMO the English voice acting is fine, while Paimon is high pitched, it kinda comes with the territory of being a mascot character and she is also quite funny at times which helps.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 2, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For anyone planning on pulling Kazuha, what weapon are you planning on giving him? If you're going full EM build obviously iron sting. But if you're going damage build, black sword or blackcliff longsword? Both seem kind of crappy but still better than the competition (as I'm assuming he's too exposed for harbinger, and flute/lions roar wont work). Favonious is an option too I guess but you'll lose a lot of damage.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i made an Iron Sting but have no strong feelings in any direction since i still don't know what we're going to see for all his numbers. i do have lv80s of Aquila/BS/Blackcliff that aren't hard spoken for so plenty of options.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Paimon's voice artist in English is also a little bit naturally gremlin-ish, by their own admission. If you play detective visual novel AI: the Somnium Files, their character in that (Mizuki Okiura) is also very much just themselves as a 12-year-old. So Paimon being so high-pitched and often shrill doesn't bother me often.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I really can't see any reason to pull for Kazuha, unless they massively overtune him Ganyu-style, and even then I'm not sure I'd want him. He just seems like a really awkward buffer that the difficulty of the game doesn't warrant putting up with.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Nakar posted:

I really can't see any reason to pull for Kazuha, unless they massively overtune him Ganyu-style, and even then I'm not sure I'd want him. He just seems like a really awkward buffer that the difficulty of the game doesn't warrant putting up with.

He's hot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
His animations are slick.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

He very likely has a sad backstory

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for me he's just a 50/50 so worst case i set up a guarantee for whatever the next 5* i want is (hopefully not in 1.7). but yeah, very pretty character and the bits of his story i've spoiled seem promising.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I like Paimon’s english voice. That lady can put so much sass into a single line it’s crazy. I guess if you’re super sensitive to high pitched voices but it’s really not that bad.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
All the husbandos besides Zhongli have been pretty meh for me, playstyle-wise. Kind of a bummer. Kazuha does at least look more interesting than Xiao, but that's not saying much. Maybe he can replace Sucrose and get me one step closer to an all dudes team.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His E ratios are insane. 800% damage Es on a 6 second cooldown, just bizarre. Certainly a strange character in general though, the fun is its really hard to figure out what to make of him.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Bussamove posted:

I like Paimon’s english voice. That lady enby can put so much sass into a single line it’s crazy. I guess if you’re super sensitive to high pitched voices but it’s really not that bad.

Corina, like Paimon, exists outside the binary

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ayaka's in the patch after 1.6, though

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

AweStriker posted:

Corina, like Paimon, exists outside the binary

I was unaware of this and now I feel bad!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the coolest thing this game ever did was completely mute paimon but leave everyone else's voices intact for a couple of quests

King of Bleh posted:

the character and voice are both grating, I don't care about the intention. if she was around just little bit it would be fine, but she's the voice of the protagonist at this point

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
The pale flame artifact domain hates me. I can’t get good rolls to save my life

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The pale flame artifact domain hates me. I can’t get good rolls to save my life

As always my curse is trying to get a decent atk hourglass. But I was able to get a full set of def Millelith for Albedo and HP for Zhong while I farm! :v:

Also a weirdly high amount of decent crit rate hats. That never happens. Truly the whims of artifacts are mysterious.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nice got c2 rosaria off the last bp fate. her ult doesn't feel like it lasts nearly long enough before then

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

padijun posted:

the coolest thing this game ever did was completely mute paimon but leave everyone else's voices intact for a couple of quests

Corina also has Crohn’s disease which is why they couldn’t voice Paimon for a while

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I leveled a crit rate hat on Eula so of course all her artifacts rolled decent crit rate, so now I have like 80% crit rate and 90% crit damage on her. Gotten a couple crit rate hats for pale flame but the only crit damage one I've gotten is absolute trash.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I leveled a crit rate hat on Eula so of course all her artifacts rolled decent crit rate, so now I have like 80% crit rate and 90% crit damage on her. Gotten a couple crit rate hats for pale flame but the only crit damage one I've gotten is absolute trash.

I can't get a pale flame crit hat so I am rocking 15/160 crit rage/dmg. At least with cryo resonance I often get that 15% rate buff.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Harrow posted:

I wish they'd just made the Traveler not a silent protagonist so they could speak for themselves instead.
The Traveler getting a single voiced line at the end of the Liyue storyline ("can you help me put up some missing person posters?") is maybe the funniest single thing in a game that already has a decent amount of funny writing.

And then the Dainsleif quests happen and things get awkward.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm honestly surprised at how funny this game can be sometimes, which is pretty incredible considering how badly humor tends to translate. Also, just realized my favorite voice is Barbara, who sounds like she doesn't know she's suicidally depressed, which is extremely funny to me given her sorta pop star characterization.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm honestly surprised at how funny this game can be sometimes, which is pretty incredible considering how badly humor tends to translate. Also, just realized my favorite voice is Barbara, who sounds like she doesn't know she's suicidally depressed, which is extremely funny to me given her sorta pop star characterization.

Barbara’s voice lines were changed drastically a few patches ago, she used to be really gung-ho and peppy. It was a baffling change.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i swap to English VAs for cutscenes with Diluc, but aside from that i just rotate through the languages, switching to a new one whenever i get annoyed hearing the same battle grunts over and over.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

His E ratios are insane. 800% damage Es on a 6 second cooldown, just bizarre. Certainly a strange character in general though, the fun is its really hard to figure out what to make of him.
I'm still pretty skeptical given the setup and the fact he wants a ton of EM, which would take away from his buffing role. Maybe that doesn't matter all that much and he's perfectly workable as a crazy Anemo DPS, but I dunno.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Incoherence posted:

And then the Dainsleif quests happen and things get awkward.

Yeah, like my brother calling me by entirely the wrong name

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bussamove posted:

Barbara’s voice lines were changed drastically a few patches ago, she used to be really gung-ho and peppy. It was a baffling change.

I never heard the old one, but "idol nun on lithium" is something I've never encountered before, whereas "generic peppy pop girl gAnBaTtE♡☆☆~~" is ubiquitous and tired, so I'm into it

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

CJ posted:

He's hot.

Clarste posted:

His animations are slick.

mikemil828 posted:

He very likely has a sad backstory

:hmmyes:

His design is just really cool. I'm pretty happy with my teams/characters/roster depth at this point so roll for cool factor is most important.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Incoherence posted:

The Traveler getting a single voiced line at the end of the Liyue storyline ("can you help me put up some missing person posters?") is maybe the funniest single thing in a game that already has a decent amount of funny writing.

Was helping a friend start up the game after he stopped a bit into the Mondstadt storyline and the Traveler's got a voice line at the end of it too (Though really it's just them saying "Venti!" so not too spectacular). My guess is that they'll have one voiced line at the end of every major chapter, which is still really lacking.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Nakar posted:

I'm still pretty skeptical given the setup and the fact he wants a ton of EM, which would take away from his buffing role. Maybe that doesn't matter all that much and he's perfectly workable as a crazy Anemo DPS, but I dunno.

If what honey hunter has is close to final, then he's definitely weird. His base stats are similar to Keqing's but he's got Xiao's plunge modifiers rather than charge attack. But his skills are almost like a reverse of Albedo's? I'd love for another sword DPS but we'll have to wait for his trial before we can figure out what his real niche is.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SlimGoodbody posted:

I never heard the old one, but "idol nun on lithium" is something I've never encountered before, whereas "generic peppy pop girl gAnBaTtE♡☆☆~~" is ubiquitous and tired, so I'm into it

Trust me the new Barb voice direction is significantly worse in just about every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The old one was really good.

Here's the comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiHgj1S_Yo