Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's two minor things, but:
1) I take it all the buttons have been completely updated and can't go back to how they were? Doesn't matter, just got to get used to them unless I don't have to.
2) The text box when making posts has this very obnoxious blue focus on it. SA it's very thick, other sites very thin, Google searchbar has nothing, URL bar naturally continues to expand with a thin blue outline which I don't mind so much tbh, just here it's very noticeable.

I've disabled the five (now six as per browser.proton itself) things under browser.proton except for toolbar.version which is "3". Am I missing anything elsewhere? I've been using Compact forever and it's all nearly almost unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it looks like the blue box is the default: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_textarea2

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tempted to switch to Vivaldi and never look back to be honest.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'd like to buy a vowel: i

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That looks like a broken webfont, but I can't quite imagine how that would happen.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Computer viking posted:

That looks like a broken webfont, but I can't quite imagine how that would happen.

It's a memory error in Firefox, something to do with Nvidia drivers probably, and it's been a recurring issue for years.

Clean your Nvidia drivers out, reinstall, reinstall Firefox, wait for the next fucky update.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have no idea if that's what actually fixes it, mind you. It could be entirely unrelated and cleared with a reboot.

I'm like 85% sure it has something to do with subpixel rendering though.

:iiam:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you everyone for how the guides on how to revert the changes. I was more or less okay with the new tab size if they wanted, but that line separation across the top was really ugly.

Does anyone know what happened to the "Restore last used tabs/windows" button? I normally just open my Firefox and hit that at the start of my browsing sessions.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

It's a memory error in Firefox, something to do with Nvidia drivers probably, and it's been a recurring issue for years.

Clean your Nvidia drivers out, reinstall, reinstall Firefox, wait for the next fucky update.

If a graphics driver update doesn't fix it, I'd check about :support to see if Firefox was using webrender and toggle the webrender setting in about :config so it's the opposite of the current one.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Artelier posted:

Thank you everyone for how the guides on how to revert the changes. I was more or less okay with the new tab size if they wanted, but that line separation across the top was really ugly.

Does anyone know what happened to the "Restore last used tabs/windows" button? I normally just open my Firefox and hit that at the start of my browsing sessions.

No, but the first option in Tools > Settings > General is about restoring your previous session on startup so you don't have to click that button.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If, like me, you dislike there being a 'new tab' context menu item when you right-click on existing tabs, add this to userChrome.css:

code:
/* Hide 'new tab' context menu item on tabs and its separator */
#context_openANewTab, #tabContextMenu menuseparator:first-of-type {
	display: none !important;
}
Use at your own risk; it will probably break or be weird if they rearrange stuff in the future, etc.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RIP tab mix plus, you were too beautiful for this world.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Lol no wonder so many of their promo pictures were with dark mode or using a theme, the "system" theme now doesn't pick up your standard titlebar color. Active firefox windows have the exact same off-white titlebar as an inactive one. Looking in bugzilla, they already had this brought to their attention long ago during the beta and responded with "it's not an official microsoft guideline" WONTFIX.

Also the huge blue border on text boxes such as the SA reply is really weird. I can't find any change to the textarea CSS to make the SA one into a 1px line like other sites. And I can't make a textbox on for example reddit not have the more subtle outline except by forcing a >1px border. Extremely weird.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Setting browser.proton.enabled to false will turn off a tonne of the changes, too.

a. I highly suggest people who think this new stuff sucks do this, and also re-enable telemetry if you've turned it off (if moz is collecting statistics, you want to be counted)

b. but also don't count on it to save you long-term, because at some point they'll probably remove this option once things change enough that the photon styling stops working

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

busalover posted:

Set

browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.newNewtabExperience.enabled

to false, if you want the old new-page look back.

Thanks.
I'd like to meet the creature that thinks putting a small icon in a rectangle in a rectangle in a rectangle is better than big icons.
Same with Windows 10 taskbar.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

Lol no wonder so many of their promo pictures were with dark mode or using a theme, the "system" theme now doesn't pick up your standard titlebar color. Active firefox windows have the exact same off-white titlebar as an inactive one. Looking in bugzilla, they already had this brought to their attention long ago during the beta and responded with "it's not an official microsoft guideline" WONTFIX.

Oh my god; I HATE this.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I was able to revert/tweak most of the most offensive changes using only userChrome.css (not the blue input outline though). I'm not doing the about:config toggles since they'll be discontinued in 6 months anyways; I'd recommend looking into the CSS side if anyone haven't already. There's a lot of samples on the firefox and firefox CSS subreddits from the past couple of days since loving everyone hates the changes

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I will say this is a nice change on Android:

Having the synced tabs right there instead of a few more taps away is nice.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Szmitten posted:

2) The text box when making posts has this very obnoxious blue focus on it. SA it's very thick, other sites very thin, Google searchbar has nothing, URL bar naturally continues to expand with a thin blue outline which I don't mind so much tbh, just here it's very noticeable.

Aha, I have figured out how to get rid of the blue outline on the SA reply box. It's tied to the CSS outline property, which SA's CSS isn't defining. So you need to override the SA CSS using stylus, the simplest way to get rid of it entirely is:
code:
.post-wrapper textarea {
    outline: none;
}
Still bewildered that the default width seems locked at 2 pixels -- setting outline-width: 1px still leaves the thick dark blue line.

You could make an outline that changed based on whether the text box is focused or not by defining an actual outline style, and then a different one with .post-wrapper textarea:focus.

I have to say the thing I'm hating the most is round buttons by default, like it's loving 2005 in here. If moz is doing this because rounded edges are the new industry trend, I'm gonna scream. gently caress, is this because Microsoft finally arrived at square, flat, no-fake-3d table and now the cool kids have to move? Are the hip new designers in the Apple & Google campus wearing Windows Vista t-shirts right now?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It's funny they did that not long after SA removed most rounded corners.

Also as an alternative you can set an outline-style: solid and an outline-width: 1px on the textarea. Loses the on-focus highlighting, unless you set some different properties (like outline-color) on the textarea:focus.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Also the huge blue border on text boxes such as the SA reply is really weird. I can't find any change to the textarea CSS to make the SA one into a 1px line like other sites. And I can't make a textbox on for example reddit not have the more subtle outline except by forcing a >1px border. Extremely weird.
a. I highly suggest people who think this new stuff sucks do this, and also re-enable telemetry if you've turned it off (if moz is collecting statistics, you want to be counted)

b. but also don't count on it to save you long-term, because at some point they'll probably remove this option once things change enough that the photon styling stops working
The thing is, Mozilla has already shown that they don't give a gently caress what the telemetry data says.
Beyond this, the people who're likely to tweak these settings are also more likely to care about privacy and thereby disable telemetry.

There is quite a good corollary to the way Big Data gets treated as something that has all the answers, when it can be used to give any answer you want.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm giant baby that doesn't understand what/where CSS is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Szmitten posted:

I'm giant baby that doesn't understand what/where CSS is.

What is CSS: it is the thing that tells html-type internet stuff what to look like. So when I make text look like this, it's because there is a bit of CSS that says
code:
tt.bbc {
    font-family: monospace, "Courier New";
}
"tt.bbc" is the tag attached to this text, and "font-family: monospace" is the rule that's being applied to change the font into a monospace one.

Where is CSS: We are talking about 2 distinct things.

Most of the time that you hear about "CSS" on the internet, it's a .css file in a website that's full of those definitions. Here's the one for the page you're on now. (It's mildly unreadable because it's got no whitespace.) But you can also use the "inspect element" in firefox's right-click menu to look at any bit of the website and see the styles that are applied to it.

There's a cool extension called stylus that allows you to override a website's CSS. Before Jeffrey & co added dark mode to the forums, you could make SA dark with a userstyle. So the code in my post above about the reply box would go into a stylus style for forums.somethingawful.com.

But the other thing specific to this thread is a Firefox thing called userChrome.css which lives in your firefox profile. Firefox's UI is made with the web renderer just like the view of a webpage, and the userChrome file lets you override Firefox's UI CSS. If you paste the code in Astral's post into your userChrome, it changes the look of Firefox. Here's instructions on how to start using a userChrome.css file.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also, if you hated everything about that post and hate the idea of doing all that poo poo, I don't blame you! Spending a weekend learning a bunch of nerd poo poo, just so you can stop a web browser from annoying the gently caress out of you, is not for everyone.

If you are tired of these dumb redesigns and don't want to fix them yourself, my advice is to switch to Vivaldi. Here is why Vivaldi is good:
  • it's a chrome-based browser with the data collection stripped out. they're better than Mozilla in that regard.
  • it uses extensions from the normal chrome store, allows non-webstore extensions easily, and isn't going to cripple ublock.
  • the UI is consistent. Vivaldi was made by a group of ex-Opera people who think that Opera 12 was the best browser ever, so all their decisions about UI design are to make it look like Opera 12. It has not changed in over 5 years, and probably never will.
  • they aren't chasing chrome, apple, or whoever mozilla is trying to imitate this year. they don't have some insane idea that "if only we change things one more time, we can have 30% user share again!"
  • they actively listen to their userbase :aaaaa:
It's a good browser, and TBQH every year I get a bit closer to switching to it as my main.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: is Vivaldi free/open like Firefox is?

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 4, 2021

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
I think the re-design is hilarious, the tabs are now so huge it looks like Fisher Price My First Internet Browser.

It does seem ever so slightly snappier on my machine, so there is that I suppose.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xtal posted:

Edit: is Vivaldi free/open like Firefox is?

Vivaldi is open source. It is not free source, as in other people are not allowed to take the source and fork it / use it for other things. If you are a free software fundamentalist that's a problem, but in that case you're not using "Firefox" right now either. You're using Iceweasel, on a linux machine with no closed source parts, and eating your toe jam.

And the core of the browser is chromium which is free open source of course.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 4, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
A year ago they explained that their UI is the only closed source part and that the desktop version of it is fairly easily modifiable (but not open source in a way that allows you to recompile and fork it):

https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-browser-open-source/

I'm starting to get used to the parts where the UI differs to my old Mozilla/Seamonke/Firefoxy setups, because I'm definitely in the "tired of these dumb redesigns and don't want to fix them myself" camp now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Can Vivaldi handle multirow tabs and bookmarks?

Not being snarky, genuine question - because that's really the last thing keeping me on Firefox.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Jesus almighty loving christ why does every firefox update make it more and more obnoxious. Tabs are even bigger now, and all colored the same but with a thin box outline around the active one?

Whhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

It's like Mozilla is in a race to the bottom with Chrome.

hey, found this on reddit:

So these settings work to revert the changes.
Holy loving balls, changing them back really emphasizes how bad the new UI is. These new changes are awful and whoever greenlit them should probably be fired, or at least demoted to "intern."
No, Firefox, I do not want my Windows browser to pretend to be a mobile browser. Also, I'm not 85 years old. I don't need interface elements to be 3-4 times bigger than they need to be with tons of blank space everywhere for me to see them. But if I was, thanks for making all the tabs the same color now so I can't see at a glance which tab I'm on. Also hey, thanks for removing the "audio playing" icon unless you mouse over every tab in the browser to see which one is making noise, and replacing that icon with effectively invisible "PLAYING" text that almost matches up with the normal tab text so it's even less visible.

So basically, thanks for increasing the tab size while de-emphasizing all the important differentiating elements that actually show people what's going on in their browsers you complete idiots.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 4, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can Vivaldi handle multirow tabs and bookmarks?

Not being snarky, genuine question - because that's really the last thing keeping me on Firefox.

Multirow tabs: two ways. A native multirow for stacked tabs, and more generic multirow tabs via Vivaldi's equivalent of userchrome (which is a little bit more fiddly than firefox).

Multirow bookmarks: not sure what that means, but Vivaldi's bookmark UI & management is kinda different from the norm. If you have a ton of bookmarks, I think the natural way to interact with them is that there's a bookmarks tab on start page with search. But this is something you'd have to dig into yourself, I'm not a millions of bookmarks person in any browser.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of alternate browsers, I've been eyeing NetSurf a bit.

It seems to be a completely independently developed engine, so assuming enough people with skills were interested, presumably it could become something that's neither Gecko/Quantum nor WebKit/Blink.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I guess I'm the only one who really likes the redesign. I don't see it as a huge departure and I like the way it looks compared to the old blocky design. I don't do anything particularly exotic with Firefox though so I don't know if some of those features are affected. I do wish I could turn off the bookmark bar and have it reappear on mouseover instead of having to open a new tab to see it, but whatever.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of alternate browsers, I've been eyeing NetSurf a bit.

It seems to be a completely independently developed engine, so assuming enough people with skills were interested, presumably it could become something that's neither Gecko/Quantum nor WebKit/Blink.

NetSurf is cool but if you're going to try alternative, minimal rendering engines at this point I feel like you might as well go full Gemini.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I don't hate the new changes, but was looking for a way to put tabs under the address bar in the last few pages and didn't see one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bugsy posted:

I don't hate the new changes, but was looking for a way to put tabs under the address bar in the last few pages and didn't see one.

Put this in your userchrome:
https://github.com/MrOtherGuy/firefox-csshacks/blob/master/chrome/tabs_on_bottom.css

That github has been updated for years and is the go-to source for userChrome stuff that's not a complete rebuild of the UI.

edit: and if you keep the Menu Bar active all the time, paste this one in as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xtal posted:

NetSurf is cool but if you're going to try alternative, minimal rendering engines at this point I feel like you might as well go full Gemini.
The NIH syndrome that resulted from Gopher? Yeah, no thanks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi is open source. It is not free source, as in other people are not allowed to take the source and fork it / use it for other things. If you are a free software fundamentalist that's a problem, but in that case you're not using "Firefox" right now either. You're using Iceweasel, on a linux machine with no closed source parts, and eating your toe jam.

And the core of the browser is chromium which is free open source of course.

Thank you for those very informative posts! I just joined the thread a few days ago on a justified hunch that it'd have a lot of reverts for the latest update. As a former terminal nerd who swapped over to Ubuntu ~10 years ago and is busily trying to forget what a command line looks like, are there any low-effort, GUI-mature browsers that you'd recommend with a solid user base (for the inevitable googling of bugs...)? I've been using Firefox out of mostly inertia ever since the Mozilla suite and have been dreading the swap.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serephina posted:

Thank you for those very informative posts! I just joined the thread a few days ago on a justified hunch that it'd have a lot of reverts for the latest update. As a former terminal nerd who swapped over to Ubuntu ~10 years ago and is busily trying to forget what a command line looks like, are there any low-effort, GUI-mature browsers that you'd recommend with a solid user base (for the inevitable googling of bugs...)? I've been using Firefox out of mostly inertia ever since the Mozilla suite and have been dreading the swap.

Other than Vivaldi, the one I specifically recommend as being low-effort & GUI mature? (Vivaldi has linux packages on their download page, get the DEB one. No command line needed. After that it should self-update just like firefox on linux.) Vivaldi has a pretty good user community -- they run an official forum.

Other than that, I don't do desktop Linux so I don't know the best options there. I've always figured that firefox being the default browser for pretty much every distro was for a reason.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

If you are a free software fundamentalist that's a problem, but in that case you're not using "Firefox" right now either. You're using Iceweasel, on a linux machine with no closed source parts, and eating your toe jam.

Debian has had Firefox for years now, the issue was with the branding or logo or some other trademark nonsense, the browser code itself has always been 100% DFSG and FSF compatible except for the EME garbage that's removed or disabled by the package maintainers. Iceweasel *is* Firefox (or was, rather, it no longer exists).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

Put this in your userchrome:
https://github.com/MrOtherGuy/firefox-csshacks/blob/master/chrome/tabs_on_bottom.css

That github has been updated for years and is the go-to source for userChrome stuff that's not a complete rebuild of the UI.

edit: and if you keep the Menu Bar active all the time, paste this one in as well.

Beautiful, had to make a userChrome to do it, but that was easy enough. Thanks!