Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wordddd. That makes me so god drat happy as I hate huge trucks. Now to see if the Colorado or Ridgeline can haul it :D

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh wordddd. That makes me so god drat happy as I hate huge trucks. Now to see if the Colorado or Ridgeline can haul it :D

I don't know if you're in Americastan or not, but if you plan on buying a Tacoma used, be prepared to pay a premium. Even more so than the regular "Tacoma tax" these days if what I've heard about the used truck market is true.
If buying new, you should either get something thats already on the lot, if you can find it, or get on it now, else you won't be doing anything with it this summer.
I put a down payment on one in April. It is *supposed* to be here middle of July. From what I've read, other people who aren't getting what is currently in stock are also waiting months and months.

I'm in Canada, but I don't know what the used market is like here.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm American, I'd be buying new. There's oddly plenty of tacos around here but no Colorado's or raptors that aren't top trim.

I had a brand new 2015 Tacoma and loved it, bit traded it for my 2017 corolla xse, which I also love. So I'm willing to go back to another Toyota, but part of me wants to see what else is out there lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colorado, yes if you get a V6 or diesel and you don't get a ZR2 (they derate those due to the suspension flex). I'd tow that with my Canyon in a heartbeat, but the aero drag will definitely be noticeable.

I wouldn't buy a Ridgeline to tow that. The max towing on those is only 5000lb and that puts you near max GCWR already so you're hosed on payload.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet, ya I was leaning more towards Colorado and Tacoma. Thanks all so much.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I didnt see any kind of waxing/car-washing thread so here goes:

I dont have a lot of time to detail my car (a newborn and a toddler take most of my time) but I want to get rid of some scratches and a few chips on the hood. I try and hand wash the car once a month.

Heres a link to some pictures. I dont think theyre too deep but Im not sure the best course of action. I didnt take pictures of the chips but they are very small (like the size of a panko bread crumb) and I guess Dr. Colorchip is the way to go for those.

Anyways-whats the best bang for the buck in fixing these scratches? I dont think any of them are too deep.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gRNsRt1

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nwin posted:

I didnt see any kind of waxing/car-washing thread so here goes:

I dont have a lot of time to detail my car (a newborn and a toddler take most of my time) but I want to get rid of some scratches and a few chips on the hood. I try and hand wash the car once a month.

Heres a link to some pictures. I dont think theyre too deep but Im not sure the best course of action. I didnt take pictures of the chips but they are very small (like the size of a panko bread crumb) and I guess Dr. Colorchip is the way to go for those.

Anyways-whats the best bang for the buck in fixing these scratches? I dont think any of them are too deep.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gRNsRt1

There is a Detailing Thread that should be able to get you going.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Powershift posted:

There is a Detailing Thread that should be able to get you going.

Thanks!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have a 2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback with a 4 cylinder automatic transmission. Car has given me lots of problems since getting it used, but a new one is a pretty loud rumbling/rattling sound when the car is stopped. It happens if the car is in drive and reverse, but doesnt happen in park or neutral. If Im driving, the sound goes seems to go away. If I brake, and definitely once I come to a stop, it gets pretty loud. Noise seems like its coming from right below the front seats, not from the engine.

Im taking it to a shop tomorrow either way, but wondering if anyone has a clue whats going on? Worried its a transmission problem, but hoping its just something loose.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Could be something as simple as a loose cat heat shield. Could be the trans lunching itself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have a 2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback with a 4 cylinder automatic transmission. Car has given me lots of problems since getting it used, but a new one is a pretty loud rumbling/rattling sound when the car is stopped. It happens if the car is in drive and reverse, but doesnt happen in park or neutral. If Im driving, the sound goes seems to go away. If I brake, and definitely once I come to a stop, it gets pretty loud. Noise seems like its coming from right below the front seats, not from the engine.

Im taking it to a shop tomorrow either way, but wondering if anyone has a clue whats going on? Worried its a transmission problem, but hoping its just something loose.

You have an exhaust problem. A hanger, a shield, etc. Should be cheap to fix.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Ausgoons: I'm in the States but trying to help my aunt find a good used car for my cousin's first car. Is there something like carsales.com.au but a bit less poo poo and with maybe a better dealer integration? She's mentioned seeing a few specific cars on dealer's lots but then I go on CarSales and there's a really limited view of what's available in her area - like, she'll say she saw a blue Corolla hatchback at a shop but then when I search for Corollas I won't be able to find the car she's specifically referring to.

I guess I'm thinking of like - how AutoTrader or cars.com in the USA seem to sync up with most dealer's inventory so that when you search for a specific make/model/year in a specific ZIP code you have a fairly accurate representation of actual cars you can buy.

She's in the sticks so it'd be helpful if the site allows you to start with a certain scope and expand outwards.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 3, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sarcastx posted:

Ausgoons: I'm in the States but trying to help my aunt find a good used car for my cousin's first car. Is there something like carsales.com.au but a bit less poo poo and with maybe a better dealer integration? She's mentioned seeing a few specific cars on dealer's lots but then I go on CarSales and there's a really limited view of what's available in her area - like, she'll say she saw a blue Corolla hatchback at a shop but then when I search for Corollas I won't be able to find the car she's specifically referring to.

I guess I'm thinking of like - how AutoTrader or cars.com in the USA seem to sync up with most dealer's inventory so that when you search for a specific make/model/year in a specific ZIP code you have a fairly accurate representation of actual cars you can buy.

She's in the sticks so it'd be helpful if the site allows you to start with a certain scope and expand outwards.

If it has to come from a dealer, lots of dealers list on gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars-vans-utes/c18320

There's "seller type" on the left, and you can narrow it down to the area.

Also, grandma probably actually wants an XR6 ute, she just doesn't want to bring it up first.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Is Firestone's lifetime alignment worth it? It would self evidently pay for itself inside two years, but are they any good?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hi, dumb car question: I don't know much about cars mechanically, but I've learned a lot about the different makes and models through internet research. I just moved to the desert and I really need a car for between 4 and $6, 000

So real quick:

2010 Galant with top trim, maybe a grody-ish seat or 2? 3 owners, one was a rental for about one and three quarters, then it looks like it was pretty well maintained and stuff through today and has 127,000 mi or so? Asking for $3700. Or

2012 Eclipse with top trim, looks good I think. Haven't run Carfax, but it's a salvage title, guy says there was some kind of crash to the back right. But it looks great in pictures and as I will find out tomorrow, it seems to look just fine. I live in a state where you don't have to rebuild a salvage car, but I know it's harder to insure. I think it has 158,000 mi. Asking $4800

I'm new to this sub forum but I have a feeling you're going to say the first car or none of the cars. I've really been looking for a Civic or smth but the market is tight. Okay thanks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No salvage titles, no rentals.

This is a tough market but just no.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Ugh 😓 im never going to find a car. A guy tried to scam me on CL a couple days ago from TX. Gave me a civic VIN with a real real bad history.

Las Cruces area is tough right now. Oh and thank you

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 3, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Motronic posted:

No salvage titles, no rentals.

This could just about be the thread title.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd be okay with a salvage at <$1000 (preferably less). And only if you're comfortable doing a lot of wrenching yourself, you can get the alignment checked and the car checked out in general before buying it (if it can't hold an alignment, it's too hosed to bother with, unless the alignment can be verified to be off ONLY because of worn parts), and it's something very common that's super easy to find parts for in a junkyard. This is a unicorn that's nearly impossible to find, BTW.

I had a salvage Civic I paid $200 for, and it wound up being pretty solid once I got it running (needed a clutch and battery, friend and I did the clutch). Got hit in it and a good chunk of the rear quarter panel wound up falling off in a huge chunk of bondo, but it was salvaged with only 40k on it (I got it with 196k, whacked by an 18 wheeler about 10k later). Walked away with just cuts and bruises (and whiplash, ugh) from a highway speed tangle with an 18 wheeler though - the doors even still opened and closed fine, despite the driver's door and B pillar being shoved over so far that the door was touching my hip.

Rentals are a huge no in general. A friend did have very good luck buying an ex-rental Kia Niro hybrid last year, but I know how *I* drive rental cars.... I assume everyone else also puts them through hell.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 3, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
The used car market is a sewer when times are normal (and they most certainly are not right now). If you want to find something good you have to be checking at least twice a day for the really good stuff that gets snatched up, make sure you have mechanic check it out thoroughly, and realize that paying a bit more upfront can save you a ton down the line if it means getting a car that's been taken care of (or even just had the bare minimum of fluids and stuff changed). That being said, you can get some good cars quite cheap with a bit of luck. A couple of years ago my brother found a Matrix XR in beautiful shape with ~100k on it and receipts for everything on the cars maintenance schedule. It was $3k all said and done, and 70k miles later it's still holding up pretty well with minimal work put into it (aside from tires, brakes and oil of course). If you get discouraged just keep looking and know the more you look the easier it will be to spot something good.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Memento posted:

This could just about be the thread title.

It pretty much is the thread title of the car buying thread

AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: No Rentals and No Salvage Titles

Used car market it super hosed right now though. I looked through Las Cruces and El Paso on autotempest and craigslist. There isn't much out there under 6K. There's a couple Ford Focus I might look at, and possibly a Fusion, but it seems too cheap, and I don't speak spanish (it was a spanish language craigslist ad). Even my old go to of finding a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic is slim pickings.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 3, 2021

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Thank you skipdogg, like seriously. I'd be happy to drive to El Paso if necessary, too, in case anyone is looking for me. And no, I can't really go much over $5k, so I'm looking in the area of an 05-09, I hope.

Good speakers and a good A/C and mid/high trim would be the best. I've been looking for a couple weeks and at this point my eyes are bleeding. But I know there's a car out there for me.

Edit: I should probably take this into the car buying thread

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long do you all expect the used market to be messed up for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

How long do you all expect the used market to be messed up for?

as long as the new car market is messed up, so probably MY23 at earliest

edit: all bets are off if there's a recession or whatever, that should bring things back to normal

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pakistani politics posted:

Thank you skipdogg, like seriously. I'd be happy to drive to El Paso if necessary, too

If you do, you better make a side trip to Austin with a bunch of Chico's Tacos for me. :colbert:

Grew up there.. Chico's is one of the biggest things I miss.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Ok one last stupid question: If I paid someone like $50 or something, I guess in SA Mart, is there a chance someone would help me find a good car in the Las Cruces/ El Paso area?

I've been at this for 2 weeks and having learned a lot, know more of what to look for. But with that knowledge I know how few options I really have that meet any of my aforementioned specs

I ask this because later today I think I'm going down to the used lot from the pics I posted. And my partner is getting sick of my recent car hunt obsession, so I know she's going to pressure me into the Galant because to her, it's a good car. Because, you see, her 2020 Nissan was a rental, which is totally the same as a 2010 being a rental, (and then driven for another decade).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I believe A Small Car lives in El Paso, though I haven't seen him post in awhile. There's another goon in Las Cruces, but they don't really post much at all anymore, and they haven't been out there long enough to know the car market, I don't think, so I won't name them.

I used to live there.... 20-something years ago. :smith: My family was in the car business out there though, my uncle ran the used car side (including a buy here pay here lot). I'll also check with my dad to see if he knows of anyone, he's still out there.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Thank you STR. I'm getting super desperate. I moved here to LC from New England and this lack of independence in having my own car is crushing. Right now it's just me and my mom (lol) looking.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Pakistani politics posted:

Ok one last stupid question: If I paid someone like $50 or something, I guess in SA Mart, is there a chance someone would help me find a good car in the Las Cruces/ El Paso area?

I've been at this for 2 weeks and having learned a lot, know more of what to look for. But with that knowledge I know how few options I really have that meet any of my aforementioned specs

I ask this because later today I think I'm going down to the used lot from the pics I posted. And my partner is getting sick of my recent car hunt obsession, so I know she's going to pressure me into the Galant because to her, it's a good car. Because, you see, her 2020 Nissan was a rental, which is totally the same as a 2010 being a rental, (and then driven for another decade).

I'm bored enough at work. Send me a pm with budget, what you're looking for (4 doors? Hatchback? Truck? Can you drive a/do you want a manual?), and a general sense of how handy you are- can you handle basic maintenance and such?

At a quick glance, I'd check out the pontiac vibe on the elpaso craigslist (e: nevermind that one, rebuilt, but maybe just the hatch did it?) or think about chiseling down the owner of the $5800 camry on LC craigslist that's been up for almost a month.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A Galant is a Mitsubishi, not a Nissan.
Edit: oh because it's a rental, I get it. I had a Mazda Protege that was a rental and it was okay. That was a long time ago now

I'm not a huge fan of Mitsubishi but I can't find any metrics on the reliability of the Galant available

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 3, 2021

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
My new Chevy Colorado blew coolant return lines twice and an oil cooler line once all within 20k miles, with the V6. I really wanted to like it but I don't think I can buy a Chevy again, at least not a gas powered one.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

glyph posted:

I'm bored enough at work. Send me a pm with budget, what you're looking for (4 doors? Hatchback? Truck? Can you drive a/do you want a manual?), and a general sense of how handy you are- can you handle basic maintenance and such?

At a quick glance, I'd check out the pontiac vibe on the elpaso craigslist (e: nevermind that one, rebuilt, but maybe just the hatch did it?) or think about chiseling down the owner of the $5800 camry on LC craigslist that's been up for almost a month.

Hey glyf, thank you. I took a peek at the $5,800 Camry and it looks pretty good I guess but don't you think the mileage is a little high?

So I know the market is tight and there's only so much car I can get, but I'm poor and 4 to 5, 000 roughly is my budget. I'm not very handy but I can maybe figure out a couple things and between me and my girlfriend, we can figure some stuff out. She's far more mechanically inclined than I. And it doesn't need to be cosmetically perfect, but I would like the interior to be nice.

Things I need
An automatic
A sedan or couep, but I guess a hatchback would be okay
A little bit of pep, please. My last car was a truck and it sucked and it was mushy and awful
Cold working air conditioner because it is stupidly hot here, in the desert, where I have moved
2005 or newer and somewhat low mileage? Car doesn't have to last me forever but a while would be nice
clean title

Things I would like
Some luxury features would be really really nice, at least like a CD player I mean my god
Japanese would be cool but I'm rapidly realizing that's not realistic

I've driven the car at fiesta motors in Las Cruces, 04 Civic. It was pretty beat up.

And if you see the 04 silver Volvo sedan, I also drove that but noticed a rotten egg smell which I think was the catalytic converter and also the guy was evasive about me taking it to go up on a lift for inspection. Drove really well though.

edit: poo poo lol, I meant this to be a PM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had the hybrid version of that Camry rather than the NA but I would not have any concerns about the mileage on it, that thing should run well past 200,000 without a problem. Assuming its in good shape as it is, obviously I cant know that from a thousand miles away.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

170k on a mid aughts Camry should still have plenty of life left, assuming you can verify the service schedule was kept up on. However that ad has the tell tale signs of a dealer/reseller. They probably bought it from an auction and won't be able to tell you much about its history.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Motronic posted:

Apparently the muffler was broken. $250 to fix. I've had worse.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

Tagging in on this Q: the heat shield on my cat came un-tacked, dragged, and bent to hell before I cut it off w/ a pair of tin sniips. I can't find a local cheap muffler shop like a grew up with to rig something up - only people who want to sell me a whole new converter.

I'm perfectly fine driving it on pavement, but as soon as I need it for work I'll get nervous. Especially since our dry season is coming up and my work is all offroad. Any ideas what I should be paying, assuming I can find the kind of exhaust place I think I'm looking for?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pumped up for school posted:

Tagging in on this Q: the heat shield on my cat came un-tacked, dragged, and bent to hell before I cut it off w/ a pair of tin sniips. I can't find a local cheap muffler shop like a grew up with to rig something up - only people who want to sell me a whole new converter.

I'm perfectly fine driving it on pavement, but as soon as I need it for work I'll get nervous. Especially since our dry season is coming up and my work is all offroad. Any ideas what I should be paying, assuming I can find the kind of exhaust place I think I'm looking for?

Don't park in a pile of leaves and you should be fine. Those shields get pretty hot to begin with......they're not exactly foolproof protection from this type of thing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

Don't park in a pile of leaves and you should be fine. Those shields get pretty hot to begin with......they're not exactly foolproof protection from this type of thing.

Yeah, just gun shy... and maybe looking for an excuse to spend some money my boss threw at me to fix up my truck. But fire story: Retired coworker started a 14-acre fire in Colorado, but a competitor holds the crown at 400 (?) acres burned in Texas. I pay attention to where I park and always poke around underneath when I'm getting out in the scrub.

My of my driveable work is NV, CA, where it seems like you just have to give the ground a hard stare and then you make the news.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Johnny Cash got 500 acres and a bunch of endangered condors with his RV. Or maybe he let a campfire get out of control because he was high. We'll never know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Neither of them can hold a candle to the destruction wrought by Gender reveal parties.