Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

SubNat posted:

Yeah that could absolutely be a part of the joke there, I just don't know enough about companies like that to really make any kind of comment about it. I'm really glad you filled in the context, I think you hit the nail on the head there since that makes the joke work a lot better.

I’m glad it helped, thank you! And thank you for posting the comic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This is an edit, right? Because this is clearly the text from a Dustin strip where Ed thinks that lazy millennials are working the service department or something.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The difference with Nancy is that the sentiments are sincere, because all these 8 year olds are completely ground down and joyless from the neuroses of living in the social media age.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 25, 1933)

Peanuts (June 5, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater: It's January 1, 1938, and Oscar's about to accidentally get Wimpy hung. Happy New Year!

Out Our Way (September 24-26, 1936; spoilered for the usual reason.)

Toonerville Folks (September 6-8, 1917; spoilered for more racial stereotyping.)

Dok's "Loan Us A Fin 'Til Payday" Duck (August 18, 1913)

Little Lefty (November 12-14, 1934)

Because I doubt we're going to get this from any of our other 1930s strips, here's a bigger version of that Reds vs. cops panel.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3o4dgD6qY

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (November 12-14, 1934)

Because I doubt we're going to get this from any of our other 1930s strips, here's a bigger version of that Reds vs. cops panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ft9iuZu0AI

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I can’t be the only one reading this as a double-bearding relationship, right? Hank O’Hair is as lesbian-coded as they come, and I am absolutely loving her and her hair’s refusal to cooperate with gender norms. The look on her face when she puts on that gown in the last strip reminds me so much of my ex-girlfriend’s face the one time I got her to try on a dress for funsies.

This is absolutely how I choose to interpret it, anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets in a good burn.

Working Daze has terrible meter.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gets a stupid answer.

Cul De Sac knows the social niceties.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
:hmmyes: I love it.

And He Did! (June 11, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 29, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 12, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 18, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 19, 1935)

Mopsy (February 17, 1937)

Dark Laughter (January 12, 1946)

Those Were the Days (August 6, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (September 7, 1965)

Wee Pals (September 7, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (July 29, 1918)

You sold cigarettes to a four year old!?

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov 28th, 1940

Axa

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

"Bonus": Old school Old El Paso ad, featuring delights such as BLTacos and hot dog chili(as in the stew) tacos.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want to read more about Tara's cousin.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I hate that I was beaten to this.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:owned:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (August 6, 1953)
Beeman, four out of five doctors say the smooth taste of lucky strikes is the workout your body needs!

B Kliban

Suicide

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Back from my holiday vacation. I'm going to cover the lost ground for Crabgrass but for everything else I'm just going to pick up where I left off for my own sanity.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 6, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 5-6, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JethroMcB posted:

I hate that I was beaten to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jux6_xBPew

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (January 12, 1946)

Trying to make out Bootsie's first name. M-A-C-?-O, I think.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Cobalt-60 posted:

Trying to make out Bootsie's first name. M-A-C-?-O, I think.

Maceo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maceo_(name)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mac 1 0

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Bernice doesn't like Luann in the least, it's just that Luann is the only person that doesn't tell Bernice to gently caress off.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Annihilated, the comic strip was burned right off the page

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

This was pretty funny imo

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

She probably meant Late Show, but it's pretty funny imagining Michael giving his high school sweetheart, in 2013 if the theory Vargo put forth is true (which i think this confirms), merch from a talk show's cancelled iteration from the 80s

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 3, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/2/01

Brenda Starr 8/5-7/46

Smokey Stover 6/29/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Androgyny Night?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I think this one didn't appear in the original webcomic run...?

A lot of the extra stuff is characterization for the boys, I suppose, who got dealt a rather short hand in the webcomic

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Something I'm noticing a fair bit in this Bad Machinery re-read is the background ways that John Allison depicts the class differences between the characters' families. Look at the grot and stains in the corner of the wall near the cheap table with chairs that have no backs that Colm's working at, and the piled up bills in front of the door. Contrast that to Mildred's family home, which is absolutely spotless. Even Shauna's home, which isn't exactly upper class (I believe it's said they live in a council estate, which my understanding is that's a britishism for public row housing) at least is depicted as being fairly clean.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/5-7/46

I do think Hank is my favourite character in this comic. She's great.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Androgyny Night?

:shrug:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dangit, you beat me to it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The difference between this and Dustin is really stark. Jeremy is definitely the butt of the joke here, but it absolutely doesn't feel mean-spirited.

Comic Strips 2021: The Mule's So Surprised, It's Forgotten to Object!

Classic Kevin & Kell in: allergies (September 10-16, 2001)

I've deliberately kept quiet about this, but now I'll just say it: no, K&K isn't going to acknowledge :911:, not explicitly at least. I don't know how much of a buffer Holbrook was working with at this point, but the strip had a significant lead time, so the stories were written and drawn well in advance; he probably chose not to drop a Very Special Episode in the middle of a story arc, and he didn't write a storyline about it later. It's as if, in this universe, it just didn't happen.

(There will be some sort-of sideways acknowledgement of the attacks later on: in December, for example, Kell will mention that "the world is so full of hate" as a reason why Kevin should try to make up with his parents.)

And while I'm at it, I might as well do this I guess.

Modern Kevin & Kell (June 3, 2021)

For context, this is part of an on-going story arc where Coney goes to Summer camp and meets her friends after not seeing them for a long time because Covid, and finds out they all had a growth spurt because they're teens (except for Coney herself, now she's shorter than everyone else).

No, I will not do a catch-up post.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 3, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

I’m glad it helped, thank you! And thank you for posting the comic!

Glad to hear you like it, it's pretty fun/good practice for translation. And I've come to like it quite a bit, now that I've been going over a couple of them, instead of just the odd one in a vacuum.

Moomin and the Golden Tail

(In which D&Q Publishing shows that they're too goddamn inept to center a comic strip on a page. QA? What's that? Never heard of it.)

Lunch

Bache states that the new CEO's primary thing is Trynefaktor. (Aka slang-for-face+factor.) In norwegian it's sort of when face/appearance goes into making a decision about something.
Every now and then you hear worries about things like discrimination in oral exams, where certain students might get a lower(or higher) grade based on their appearance and charisma.
It's very much reading a book by it's cover, in this case implying that the new guy is relying entirely on presentation instead of actual content.

(By the way, The guy in the purple shirt is Kjell, technically the lead character of the strip, but in general it just follows the various people in that department, as opposed to 1 person specifically. He's frequently a POV character, however.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 3, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 20, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 20, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 20, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 5/10-12/43

Why, I don't think these Nazis are very nice people at all!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 3, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Androgyny Night?

We need someone with a collection to confirm ASAP, because I'm near positive that phrase didn't appear in the original, and if 2012 Lynn just added it in there as a "things the kids are into these days" like MP3 players then.... that's pretty lovely.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I love this teacher so drat much.