Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I really wish they’d do Rogue/Wraith. The cutting that went into jamming books onto a couple cassettes was really drastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

They announced this a few months ago or so. It's part of a reprint of Legends books as part of Lucasfilm's 50th anniversary. In addition to the unabridged audio of Shatterpoint, the book itself is being re-released with new cover art, along with Plagueis, Rogue Squadron and the Thrawn and Bane trilogies. Plus at least two volumes of never-before-reprinted Legends stories from Insider. I think Shatterpoint is the only audiobook that's been announced as part of it, though.

I'm actually a bit bummed out that these appear to be hardcover only. There's no reason not to publish these digitally as well. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A lot of Insider fiction used to be freely available on the official site, and even more (along with some digital originals) as part of Hyperspace, but those all seem to be lost when Hyperspace was discontinued and then the original site was revamped (in retrospect, in preparation for the Disney purchase).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cross-Section posted:

I'm actually a bit bummed out that these appear to be hardcover only. There's no reason not to publish these digitally as well. :colbert:

The Insider fiction rereleases are being treated more like specialty comic/magazine omnibuses rather than novels -- they;re in the larger form factor, still have art, formatted for columned reading, etc

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Recently I've been getting back into reading some of my old legends books that i haven't read since high school (mostly the X-Wing series at the moment) and while i know there is basically no chance in hell that Disney will just wholesale use the plot from these books written back in the mid 90s for the Rogue Squadron movie being made i almost wish they would. They still hold up pretty well even today! (Corran Horn is such a mary sue though wth)

I took a cursory glance at Wookiepedia since i remembered at some point in the book series it jumped ahead a bunch in the timeline and i just :psyduck:'ed at how much Legends stuff there really was. I thought i read a ton of these things as a kid but it turns out i was very wrong. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE

A shame it seems my collection basically ended with these xwing books though since it seems like the stuff they have already brought back is from around the time i would have been reading these books and playing all the videogames with the Star Wars logo on it. New Jedi Order is when they killed Chewie off right?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 24, 2021

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

The Shame Boy posted:

Recently I've been getting back into reading some of my old legends books that i haven't read since high school (mostly the X-Wing series at the moment) and while i know there is basically no chance in hell that Disney will just wholesale use the plot from these books written back in the mid 90s for the Rogue Squadron movie being made i almost wish they would. They still hold up pretty well even today! (Corran Horn is such a mary sue though wth)

I took a cursory glance at Wookiepedia since i remembered at some point in the book series it jumped ahead a bunch in the timeline and i just 'ed at how much Legends stuff there really was. I thought i read a ton of these things as a kid but it turns out i was very wrong. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE

A shame it seems my collection basically ended with these xwing books though since it seems like the stuff they have already brought back is from around the time i would have been reading these books and playing all the videogames with the Star Wars logo on it. New Jedi Order is when they killed Chewie off right?

Yep, happens in the first book Vector Prime. I still really enjoy the NJO, despite how edgy it gets.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing that confused me as a kid was that the X-wing comic and book series are pretty much completely different. There are a few overlaps (especially the end of the comic series that shows how Isard comes to power, and the short storyline with Corran still as a cop on Corellia) but essentially no direct overlap, at least until you get to the Isard's Revenge novel which is both a sequel to the comics and to the Thrawn Trilogy.

VaultAggie posted:

Yep, happens in the first book Vector Prime. I still really enjoy the NJO, despite how edgy it gets.

I held off on the NJO for years because I was convinced it was going to be 90s grimdark edgelord stuff, but it pleasantly surprised me when I did finally get to it. I think Vector Prime itself is probably one of the better ones (though nowhere near the top tier Traitor, Destiny's Way, and Unifying Force). Though I think it also helped that I started reading them right after the series ended, so I didn't need to wait months in between releases.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

One thing that confused me as a kid was that the X-wing comic and book series are pretty much completely different. There are a few overlaps (especially the end of the comic series that shows how Isard comes to power, and the short storyline with Corran still as a cop on Corellia) but essentially no direct overlap, at least until you get to the Isard's Revenge novel which is both a sequel to the comics and to the Thrawn Trilogy.

the comics basicaly ended early for some reason. its why you never get a in canon ending of Fel outside poo poo in the essential guides telling that he went back to the empire or some poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is going to be a bit of an odd tangent, but a relative gave me a Star Wars day-of-the-year desktop calendar for Christmas, and as I don't generally use them, I sometimes fall a bit behind. I was catching up on the last few days, and the May 14 page is on the Rebel base from Rise of Skywalker, and it has this to say:

quote:

Leia took Luke Skywalker to the planet of Ajan Kloss, an Alderaanian royal family base, to train his first group of Jedi, after they defeated Darth Vader. Leia also trained with Luke on Ajan Kloss, which later became a Resistance base.

So the planet from Episode IX is supposed to be where Luke set up his Jedi Temple?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

This is going to be a bit of an odd tangent, but a relative gave me a Star Wars day-of-the-year desktop calendar for Christmas, and as I don't generally use them, I sometimes fall a bit behind. I was catching up on the last few days, and the May 14 page is on the Rebel base from Rise of Skywalker, and it has this to say:
So the planet from Episode IX is supposed to be where Luke set up his Jedi Temple?

I mean...sure, why not?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like the first order might have left a droid there to keep an eye on the temple etc.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't think so, I think that's just saying Luke trained some other students along with Leia on that planet. He then later set up the temple somewhere.

That's also just a calendar, I wouldn't use that as a go to source. The supplemental guide materials are sometimes overwritten and contradict each other anyway. And that's not even going into how the visual media sometimes disregard their literature content.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Bruh, Mara Jade was 67 when she died???

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

T___A posted:

I'd have to double-check the exact number, but that sounds about right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

T___A posted:

You'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

You'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise.

Bruh, Mara Jade was Sandra Bullock when she died???

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cross-Section posted:

Bruh, Mara Jade was Sandra Bullock Famke Janssen when she died???

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Jacen was 32 when he died. Man, I forget how spread out the timeline was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

T___A posted:

Jacen was 32 when he died. Man, I forget how spread out the timeline was.

Yeah, they kept doing 5 year time jumps to reset to a status quo before the next big event series. Which was intended to help avoid things feeling like the timeframe of Right Around The OT Films where they never had a single day off...but instead just had that exact spread problem.

Plus all the next generation of heroes were being written like teenagers or early 20-somethings (like the heroes from the OT) well into their 30s and early 40s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It is really incredible how Troy Denning so successfully ran the post-ROTJ EU into the ground.

He wasn't the only cause but I will always believe him being given the keys after NJO more than anything else is why the EU became such a joyless slog by the end.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have not read it in probably like 15 years but I remember really liking Star By Star when it came out. It helped that at that point, not everything was super dark so it stood out a little better. It also helps that it helped set up weirder stuff to come, like delving into the half-Vongshaped remains of Coruscant.

Virtually everything else he wrote though, crap.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

T___A posted:

Adjusts glasses

Actually, she was 58.

She was born 17BBY and died 40ABY. Add one due to the year zero in the dumb calendar LucasArts decided to use.

A real life New Republic government would have made their declaration of being after Endor the day one;year one of a new calendar.

We're stuck with this one though.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 3, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I always thought Star by Star was one of the highlights of the NJO, and so I was kind of excited to read the Bugnest Orgy books when they came out. Then I read the first few Legacy novels. Then I was never excited to read a Denning book ever again.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah Star by Star is by far Denning's best book, because it's the only one where the grimdarkness is actually kind of the point rather than just gratuitous bullshit. That isn't to say it's immune to his weird other quirks, like having Leia put on disguises all the time and introducing weird OP stuff like the YVH droids or shadow bombs or StealthXs and jamming his OCs everywhere (although to be fair this is where most of them were first introduced), but if that were his only EU entry I'd be pretty satisfied with his output.

Also didn't Star by Star have the really unfortunate timing of coming out like a month after 9/11?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked the YVH droids, I’ve got an action figure of one. :kiddo:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Were the YVH ones the ones that were designed to troll the Vong? Very efficient killers that would poo poo talk the vong in their own language? They were awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The ones that looked like literal Terminator endoskeletons.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They were supposed to resemble the Vong specifically to make them angry that their image had been replicated onto machines.

loving Denning characters. I was so sick of Alema Rar, Vestara, and Ship by the time Disney finally poo poo things down. What’s funny is Crucible isn’t that bad as far as Denning books go. He just failed to wrap things up despite being told to do so. He did put some stuff in there about how the main three were going to pull back and let the younger generation handle things more. Which is hilarious because that was a big theme in the NJO, and then it didn’t actually happen until a book set 16 years after that conflict was over.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The mandate to make crucible a "wrap up the whole Legends EU" book was handed to him after he had written most of it

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

Were the YVH ones the ones that were designed to troll the Vong? Very efficient killers that would poo poo talk the vong in their own language? They were awesome.

Actually that part was pretty cool — think Allston made their war cry “WE ARE MACHINES! WE ARE GREATER THAN THE YUUZHAN VONG!” :black101:

I just wasn’t a huge fan of the “yeah they’re made of a special metal that can’t be cut and also can see through the vong disguise tech no problem” part

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm actually surprised, and a bit disappointed, that we never got prequel-era battle droids in the NJO, especially given the NJO came out concurrently with the prequels and there are more than a few references in it. The dumb battle droids from TPM getting some kind of fan rehabilitation fighting the Vong would have been cool.

But then again, I also thought at the start of the NJO that Threepio's arc was going to be turning into a droid civil rights activist, and while it got touched on in a handful of scenes across the twenty books... nope. Still think that's the EU equivalent of Finn being set up to lead a stormtrooper rebellion and that never paying off.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wonder which series of events would be worse to live through

Is it the movie version of events of "fight the empire in our 20s and then the first order in our 50s-60s"

Or what the legends timeline eventually setteled into with "different galactic threats to deal with every 5 years or so, but we're also still fighting into our 50s-60s"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well with Mandalorian emphasizing the battle against the Imperial Remnant was still ongoing well after the end of the Galactica Civil War and the new Star Wars shows almost certainly building up to a crossover event where they fight Grand Admiral Thrawn, I'd say you're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is whether it's worse to be in a setting where you fight Space Nazis for 50 years versus a setting where you fight Space Nazis for 50 years as well as biggest orgies and BDSM Aztecs.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

But then again, I also thought at the start of the NJO that Threepio's arc was going to be turning into a droid civil rights activist, and while it got touched on in a handful of scenes across the twenty books... nope. Still think that's the EU equivalent of Finn being set up to lead a stormtrooper rebellion and that never paying off.

Droid sentience/civil rights has always been a weird third rail that the vast majority of Star Wars media is really reluctant to touch. Like yeah, many droids are clearly creative thinkers with a sense of self-actualization yet are also owned property, but it's also explicitly *not* slavery because we also see plenty of that in Star Wars and it's clearly supposed to be an abhorrent institution that no heroic character would ever dream of partaking in.

So you wind up with edgelord fan theories about how all droids are clearly an oppressed underclass and every organic character who doesn't immediately advocate for their liberation are irredeemably evil, which, like, is obviously not the case? There's just never going to be a piece of Star Wars media where the galaxy turns on Luke Skywalker in favor of the *true* hero, the champion of the droid proletariat. The closest we really get is Lando's droid friend in Solo, but even that is kinda brushed off as a semi-comical aside.

I don't really know what Lucasfilm/Disney's official behind-the-scenes stance on it is, but I imagine it's something like "yeah we know it's weird, but acknowledging it would be a seismic shift in how literally this entire universe works so it's just gonna be this weird grey area of the setting." A lot of authors and sourcebook writers certainly tried to circle this square in Legends, but even the most common explanation of "they get smarter unless you mind-wipe them every now and then" still raises a lot more ethical questions than it answers.

I totally get an urge to deconstruct and examine the issues of AI sentience and there's plenty of pop sci-fi that does exactly that, but I think anyone looking for those themes in Star Wars is just gonna wind up really disappointed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Wasn't there some bizarre rumor that they approached David Fincher to direct a star war and he wanted to do droid liberation? I'm going to google this after making this post rather than before for the sake of :justpost:

e: this definitely happened sort of

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2021

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
My read is that, in universe with knights, nobility and Emperors, droids are a kind of serf or peasant. Largely interchangeable to the ruling class, meant for a single productive activity.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Droid sentience/civil rights has always been a weird third rail that the vast majority of Star Wars media is really reluctant to touch. Like yeah, many droids are clearly creative thinkers with a sense of self-actualization yet are also owned property, but it's also explicitly *not* slavery because we also see plenty of that in Star Wars and it's clearly supposed to be an abhorrent institution that no heroic character would ever dream of partaking in.

So you wind up with edgelord fan theories about how all droids are clearly an oppressed underclass and every organic character who doesn't immediately advocate for their liberation are irredeemably evil, which, like, is obviously not the case? There's just never going to be a piece of Star Wars media where the galaxy turns on Luke Skywalker in favor of the *true* hero, the champion of the droid proletariat. The closest we really get is Lando's droid friend in Solo, but even that is kinda brushed off as a semi-comical aside.

I don't really know what Lucasfilm/Disney's official behind-the-scenes stance on it is, but I imagine it's something like "yeah we know it's weird, but acknowledging it would be a seismic shift in how literally this entire universe works so it's just gonna be this weird grey area of the setting." A lot of authors and sourcebook writers certainly tried to circle this square in Legends, but even the most common explanation of "they get smarter unless you mind-wipe them every now and then" still raises a lot more ethical questions than it answers.

I totally get an urge to deconstruct and examine the issues of AI sentience and there's plenty of pop sci-fi that does exactly that, but I think anyone looking for those themes in Star Wars is just gonna wind up really disappointed.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The new canon novel Last Shot sort of deals with this, but it's also not very good so I don't really recommend it. This guy started a cult that worshipped droids, sort of, and developed a device that could control any droid in the galaxy, and somehow this is better than them being slaves to organics (since he was a cyborg essentially).

It ends with a pretty bad deus ex machina. Kind of pissed me off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Shame Boy posted:

I wonder which series of events would be worse to live through

Is it the movie version of events of "fight the empire in our 20s and then the first order in our 50s-60s"

Or what the legends timeline eventually setteled into with "different galactic threats to deal with every 5 years or so, but we're also still fighting into our 50s-60s"

probably the former.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well with Mandalorian emphasizing the battle against the Imperial Remnant was still ongoing well after the end of the Galactica Civil War and the new Star Wars shows almost certainly building up to a crossover event where they fight Grand Admiral Thrawn, I'd say you're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is whether it's worse to be in a setting where you fight Space Nazis for 50 years versus a setting where you fight Space Nazis for 50 years as well as biggest orgies and BDSM Aztecs.

yeah. i mean space nazis forever is more realistic for the universe. but i also feel like the various imp civil wars that go on for 20 years is realistic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Clone Wars Blue Shadow Virus episode also kind of hints that the Separatist scientist, and possibly some of the droids at the base, want to release the virus to kill all sentient life in the galaxy so microbes and droids will reign supreme, but it's never developed more than a few hinting nods at that being the justification.

General Battuta posted:

Wasn't there some bizarre rumor that they approached David Fincher to direct a star war and he wanted to do droid liberation? I'm going to google this after making this post rather than before for the sake of :justpost:

e: this definitely happened sort of

If I remember right, wasn't Fincher the first person they asked to direct Episode VII? And then Brad Bird after he turned it down?

It's also funny that Fincher grew up literally next door to Lucas.