Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hmmmm
app is saying it cant find a file:

pre:
PIL.UnidentifiedImageError: cannot identify image file '227624av.png'
and yet when i put a debug print in before the line that throws that error, its right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

no wait it can find it but not identify it
hmm

this is how the image is being created btw
pre:
		avatarImage = userProfile.select_one('.userinfo .title').find('img')
		avatarURL = (avatarImage.attrs['src'])
		avatarFile = f'{horribleJerk}av.{avatarURL.split(".")[-1]}'
		avatar = requests.get(avatarURL, cookies=authCookies, headers=headers)
		print(str(avatar.status_code))
		if avatar.status_code == 200:
			with open(avatarFile, 'wb') as avFile:
				avatar.raw.decode_content = True
				shutil.copyfileobj(avatar.raw, avFile)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did you write to the file and not close it or something?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

Did you write to the file and not close it or something?

no, with open automatically closes the file when it unindents

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I didn't actually read your code. Maybe print the file size or otherwise make sure it's writing a valid image though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also are you really supposed to use response.raw? I think it might break in some situations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

Also are you really supposed to use requests.raw? I think it might break in some situations.

i have no idea how else to download an image when all i have is the image link
via a script

mystes
May 31, 2006

code:
         avFile.write(avatar.content)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

code:
         avFile.write(avatar.content)

eh ill give it a shot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a quick thing to do is just less the supposed png file and discover that the contents is actually a 404 page or some such.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You don't even need to be logged in to access avatars, it seems, so you can just do something like this to test it:
code:
import requests
import shutil
avatarURL = "https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/05/1a/00227624.0029.png"
avatar = requests.get(avatarURL)
print(str(avatar.status_code))
        avatar.raw.decode_content = True
        shutil.copyfileobj(avatar.raw, avFile)
And you can confirm that indeed the original code produces a 0 byte file.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright well im out of ideas for how to download an image from the link
cos i can get the link, ive tested that, but i dont know how to download the image

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a quick thing to do is just less the supposed png file and discover that the contents is actually a 404 page or some such.

considering it only writes a file if its 200 then i dont think thats the case

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

alright well im out of ideas for how to download an image from the link
cos i can get the link, ive tested that, but i dont know how to download the image
considering it only writes a file if its 200 then i dont think thats the case
Did the thing I suggested a minute ago not work? Because it works for me with a hardcoded url. I'm guessing it's a problem with compression or something even though I guess response.raw.decode_content = True is allegedly supposed to fix that.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

Did the thing I suggested a minute ago not work? Because it works for me with a hardcoded url.

testing that now, think it might

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright i think that worked
now to figure out how to use pillow to paste one image ontop of another and then save it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

cisco stu here with some good news about VOIP adoption trends

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

please!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i uh

what
how

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hbag posted:

i uh

what
how

wherever you are, there is the worst programmer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

hbag, are you familiar with nntp

lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

you can tell from my commit messages alone exactly where i figured out a thing i was trying to do

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

euuuuurrrghh alright im still trying to figure out how to test if the entire image is just transparent and nothing else

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
on: too many redirects: make sure you're consistently sticking with https for all requests. you can snowball a bad http request into too many redirects if, like, somethingawful, you use a lovely garbage CDN like NaziCache-sorry, Cloudflare

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

on: too many redirects: make sure you're consistently sticking with https for all requests. you can snowball a bad http request into too many redirects if, like, somethingawful, you use a lovely garbage CDN like NaziCache-sorry, Cloudflare

yea i figured it out
i was accidentally sending it auth cookies that were None so the php was making GBS threads itself
fixed that poo poo now though

NOW what need to do is figure out how to detect if an entire image is just one big transparent space
my reasoning for this is so i can detect if someone's doing a tall gangtag av (like mine) and then, if they are, just use the first image gangtag in place of their avatar

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

NOW what need to do is figure out how to detect if an entire image is just one big transparent space
my reasoning for this is so i can detect if someone's doing a tall gangtag av (like mine) and then, if they are, just use the first image gangtag in place of their avatar
You can just iterate through the pixels and check the alpha value, but unless people are using giant transparent avatars maybe you should just check whether the avatar is like 5x5 or smaller?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

You can just iterate through the pixels and check the alpha value, but unless people are using giant transparent avatars maybe you should just check whether the avatar is like 5x5 or smaller?

i thought putting loops inside loops was a bad idea
this part of the code is already in a while loop, sticking a for loop in it is gonna be 2 loops

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

yeah and because this problem is embarrassingly parallel you can parallelize it for efficiency, each “process” only needs to check one pixel each and your result is still accurate

code:
from multiprocessing import Pool

def is_transparent(alpha):
  return alpha == 0

# imagine this is a sequence of every pixel's alpha value
alphas = range(32400)

if __name__ == '__main__':
  with Pool(processes=32400) as p:
    x = p.map(is_transparent, alphas)

print(all(x))

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

yeah and because this problem is embarrassingly parallel you can parallelize it for efficiency, each “process” only needs to check one pixel each and your result is still accurate

code:

return alpha == 0

alphas = range(32400)

print(all(x))

having a hard time breaking down your snippet into "what bit is doing what" but that might be because its 3 am and im tired

obviously im still not gonna say no to a more basic explanation because i will take that every time
i apparently need things explained to me with small words because my brain is a collander

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

hbag posted:

this part of the code is already in a while loop, sticking a for loop in it is gonna be 2 loops

it's not slow, it's readable

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

Probably whoever said nesting loops was bad was talking about stuff like looping over a huge list in the inner loop of a nested loop which will be executed a zillion times, when you could just be using a hashtable or something, and not looping over the x and y coordinates of a tiny image.

Fart simpson is just trying to make everything complicated.

You can probably just do something like:
code:
def has_opaque_pixel(im):
    if im.mode != "RGBA":
        return True
    for x in range(im.width):
        for y in range(im.height):
            alpha = im.getpixel((x,y))[3]
            if alpha != 0:
                return True
    return False
Although again I'm not sure this is really the best way to decide if an avatar is just an empty one pixel image in general.

Also this might not handle gifs if people still use gifs, because they're indexed color and I don't care enough to check whether they are treated as a different color mode by pillow.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

Probably whoever said nesting loops was bad was talking about stuff like looping over a huge list in the inner loop of a nested loop which will be executed a zillion times, when you could just be using a hashtable or something, and not looping over the x and y coordinates of a tiny image.

You can probably just do something like:
code:
def has_opaque_pixel(im):
    if im.mode != "RGBA":
        return True
    for x in range(im.width):
        for y in range(im.height):
            alpha = im.getpixel((x,y))[3]
            if alpha != 0:
                return True
    return False
Although again I'm not sure this is really the best way to decide if an avatar is just an empty one pixel image in general.

Also this might not handle gifs if people still use gifs, because they're indexed color and I don't care enough to check whether they are treated as a different color mode by pillow.

alright, ill give this a try in the morning
rn its 3 am so im going to bed lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

i already posted a link to the pillow docs for the built in method that tells you the min and max pixel values for an entire band of the whole image :shrug: seems pretty simple and useful here to me

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

i already posted a link to the pillow docs for the built in method that tells you the min and max pixel values for an entire band of the whole image :shrug: seems pretty simple and useful here to me

i couldn't find the post when i was scrolling through em which is why i asked again tbh

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Ah yeah I guess you did somewhere in there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've never bought one of those big avatars. are you saying it's required to upload a tiny one as your "real" avatar? i always thought you just put bbcode into the text and didn't have a regular avatar.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

code:

return alpha == 0

alphas = range(32400)

print(all(x))

this poo poo is why i gave up trying to learn Coding. what the gently caress is this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

this poo poo is why i gave up trying to learn Coding. what the gently caress is this

an exciting way to turn a simple problem into a worse, more complex, problem

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

okay so the code assumes you have a 1-dimensional list that has all the pixel values of your av image.
it defines a function that tells you if the image is transparent or not, and then starts a (lightweight thread, i think is the default?) pool of executors that each take a single entry in that list and calculate if that pixel is opaque or transparent, and then the all() (iirc) tells you if any of them are opaque

the use of the map function there is some unintuitive stuff to newcomers — you’re not calling the is_transparent function in that map line. you’re passing the function itself in as an object that then gets called by map() with the proper alpha array entry for each one in the list.

i can never remember what the technical cs term for it is but it’s one of those things that broke my mind when i learned ruby from a codebase full of people who loved map and filter and the like.

rip vine

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Bloody posted:

an exciting way to turn a simple problem into a worse, more complex, problem

it turns a simple problem into a steady paycheck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

having a hard time breaking down your snippet into "what bit is doing what" but that might be because its 3 am and im tired

you say this every time you post, lol