Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Here's a thought: since the WWE Network is no more, if NXT hadn't gone to USA, do you think Nick Khan would've shut it down?

Do it's international TV rights bring in more than it costs to run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I will say: How the mighty have fallen.

Oh, not the wrestlers let go. Just that when suggesting where they could go, no one's mentioned Ring of Honor. A few years ago, suggesting someone would be better off in Impact than ROH would've been unthinkable

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Davros1 posted:

I will say: How the mighty have fallen.

Oh, not the wrestlers let go. Just that when suggesting where they could go, no one's mentioned Ring of Honor. A few years ago, suggesting someone would be better off in Impact than ROH would've been unthinkable

I think Murphy would fit RoH.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It’s kinda sad seeing Tommy End poo poo on guys like Sean Ross Sapp when Sapp clearly knew Tommy was losing his job before he did.

Like what the gently caress else do you need to know these people aren’t as full of poo poo as you think.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Where's this from?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, like this was not even a full 20 hours ago

SexMetalBarbie posted:

Fightful has learned that WWE is planning more cost-cutting, possibly as early as this week. We've spoken with WWE sources all across the company that have major names that were being considered for the cuts. There is an ongoing list, though in the recent past, WWE has changed their mind on cutting certain people at the last minute. Fightful will keep you up to date on the news as we can, and work to find out more of the how and why.

Out of respect to those, we won't be revealing those involved until they're informed themselves.

Source: Fightful Select

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

It’s kinda sad seeing Tommy End poo poo on guys like Sean Ross Sapp when Sapp clearly knew Tommy was losing his job before he did.

Like what the gently caress else do you need to know these people aren’t as full of poo poo as you think.

he mostly poo poo on srs for using clickbait about zelina to fuel his patreon

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But I know gently caress all about US Employment/Contract law.

So WWE Wrestlers are "Independent Contractors" right? But that still means they have contracts. And Contracts should be legally enforceable.

So let's say WWE signs a wrestler on a "You will work for us for the next X years, and make a minimum of $Y a year over the period of the contract." contract on a Monday. They then sack the wrestler on Tuesday.

Do they have to pay out the remainder of $Y to the wrestler? Would it come in a lump sum, or would they continue to get cheques for the remaining X years? Does the wrestler have any recourse to sue/claim for any moneys owed them over the previous part of the contract that they worked, but were not paid?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Critical posted:

he mostly poo poo on srs for using clickbait about zelina to fuel his patreon

I mean, by all accounts she WAS talking to them about returning considering she was at the PC.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But I know gently caress all about US Employment/Contract law.

So WWE Wrestlers are "Independent Contractors" right? But that still means they have contracts. And Contracts should be legally enforceable.

So let's say WWE signs a wrestler on a "You will work for us for the next X years, and make a minimum of $Y a year over the period of the contract." contract on a Monday. They then sack the wrestler on Tuesday.

Do they have to pay out the remainder of $Y to the wrestler? Would it come in a lump sum, or would they continue to get cheques for the remaining X years? Does the wrestler have any recourse to sue/claim for any moneys owed them over the previous part of the contract that they worked, but were not paid?

The details are kind of murky because WWE doesn't want those details getting out there, but as far as anyone can tell they do not get the remainder of their contract paid out, but they do get paid for the 90 day non-compete clause.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

No. They have a no-compete clause for a 90 day severance but there’s no way those contracts have any guarantees in them.

WWE contracts would almost certainly not hold up in court but it would require more money to fight than almost any of them have because the court system in the US is designed to allow major corporations to string things out for the opposing side to the point of bankruptcy.

You would need someone to bankroll the suit essentially.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Evil Badman posted:

Where's this from?

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/10/braun-strowman-shares-his-thoughts-on-bill-goldberg-676300/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

How did Raw rank among the shows, that’s the important one to ad buys.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a lot of the stuff regarding wwe's contracts are probably not very enforceable but it'd require people with money enough to fight a large corporation and time to spend on it to do so

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You’d need a Bruce Tharpe but contract law. Maybe see if Andrew Yang hasn’t gotten bored of his crusade against WWE yet.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

coconono posted:

You’d need a Bruce Tharpe but contract law. Maybe see if Andrew Yang hasn’t gotten bored of his crusade against WWE yet.

yang already got what he wanted out of his 2 week publicity campaign

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Saw this on Reddit-
“Black - "hey if you guys aren't going to do anything with me can I just get a release"
WWE- "no lol"
"wait actually we have an idea, we're gonna film a bunch of vignettes for you and start a storyline with you and Big E"
Black- "alright cool thanks"
WWE- "nah jk we're gonna let you go"

Lol

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

coconono posted:

Yang's too busy torpedoing his mayoral campaign to care now

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a minor miracle WWE didn't introduce a character mocking Andrew Yang during all of that

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Nick Jr. Face posted:

It's a minor miracle WWE didn't introduce a character mocking Andrew Yang during all of that

to be fair we'll never know which embarrassing nerd ricochet is supposed to be mocking

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

to be fair we'll never know which embarrassing nerd ricochet is supposed to be mocking

Trevor Mann

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/isalrightnow/status/1400120825056051201

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Still too current.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's like twelve people in that photo that are no longer with the company.

It's either 20 or 19 if you consider Kairi Hojo as being with the company.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I don't know poo poo but I imagine they get a base pay per year of the contract that they get bought out for. Most of their money probably comes via 'appearance fees' set out in the contract which is why wrestlemania paydays were a thing.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, the 90 days is for your downside, which if you’ve hit it already through merch, etc. means you’re not getting any more.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Working for WWE has guaranteed downsides

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the deal with WWE is WWE can do whatever they want and the contracted have to agree to it. Otherwise, they'll get sassed on social media "for not wanting it" or "taking their ball and going home" and have to do penance by sitting in catering or collecting their downside while they go on extended vacations.

But then on top of that if management decides you've "learned your lesson", you're gonna eat poo poo on live television for six months and if there's a house show loop you're gonna slip on banana peels 36 nights a month. Then maybe you'll hold a midcard belt that you'll inexplicably trade with some other loser mcfuckface for 19 weeks before they put the title on someone's elses pet project.

Or you could be the ones that did everything right and toil away on the "no seriously its on a real tv channel" z-shows before getting called in to be the other loser mcfuckface in an inexplicable belt swapping battle but you might get to say a rude word on national television.

or perhaps you're one of the few that Vince keeps around to remind himself of a time when he wasn't an unkillable lichelord. Ah yes, John Cena, you remind me of when my flesh actually felt the cold morning air, he mumbles to himself and he strokes his phylactery. Or Roman Reigns, whom I believe has ascended to the Shawn Michaels spot of "can literally take a dumb in the ring and Vince will call it sensational", which is like the 8th circle of Superstardom Hell.

Either way, you'll discover the true horror of corporate wrestling: nothing matters and its all bubble gum baseball cards for semihuman masters of inequal wealth and power to trade amongst each other. You're the physical cog in the content machine, ground down and replaced by unknowable caprice. Randy the Ram isn't a warning story, but a weak shine from a dilapidated lighthouse leading you to supposedly a better wrestling. Should you survive that final elbow drop.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
what

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE being the only option in US wrestling for big contracts for awhile also meant that wrestlers were less likely wanting to challenge them as they wouldn't want to end up blackballed

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Nick Jr. Face posted:

They shoudl've because Yang was always blatantly full of poo poo

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Is WWE a minor division of NBC/Universal yet?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Does anyone know if the McMahon family still have talent contracts?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
In a way, right after being let go I can understand the loyalty from the point of view that without those 5 years at WWE Tommy End wouldn't be as big as he is now and he can now parlay that into a big contract elsewhere. And as he mentioned he'll be much more creatively free now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
if braun was making a bunch of loving money and his contract was well into 2023 and he got cut earlier i'm sure the dude is raking in a good amount on the 90 days no compete clause on the big rear end farm land he owns. Maybe he can get real knee surgery now or get in touch with Rey's guy for his knees.

I'm sure Braun and Lana would do well in non-wrestling ventures if needed. Lana i'm sure still gets royalites from the 3 pitch perfect movies she's been in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

With Braun out of the company Shane O'Mac stays winning. Best in the world baybee