Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I wasn't sure which to read first so I just read Hellions. It continues being the best book that makes me laugh through the whole book. From the list it looks like marauders is first so I should read that next.

Vvvv "Fantastic." In icy text. Also BANANAS

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hellions: Nanny breaking a bottle and attempting to stab Mr. Sinister while yelling "JUDGEMENT DAY, MOTHER@#$%^&!" will stick with me for a while. :allears:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Hellions was just delightful. I hope everything works out for this lovable band of screw-ups!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's so many wonderful Sinister face reactions. Stephen Segovia isn't a name I'm familiar with, but this is some legit amazing work. It's bananas, you might say.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What's with Kate's "bub" comment to Franklin? Sounds like she's mocking him which is rather out of character.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

What's with Kate's "bub" comment to Franklin? Sounds like she's mocking him which is rather out of character.

Probably quoting something Wolverine once said to her

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Haha eat poo poo Beast you dumb motherfucker

Hellions are awesome

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just going through my 2 shelves of my comics to read some old ones I found my old X-men cards that I collected as a kid. Figured someone here might enjoy the picture.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hellions and Marauders were both great!

Haven't gotten to X-Force yet

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Hellions and Marauders were both great!

Haven't gotten to X-Force yet

Beast is just the worst. He reaches new lows

Also finally I am underdressed

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Beast has been a horrid douchebag for quite a while. I don't think he reached any new lows in the issue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wow, Beast really reached a new low, regardless of what the poster above me thinks. He's now a delusional rear end in a top hat with thoughts of being a watchful god. Not even Dark Beast was that deluded.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adder Moray posted:

Probably quoting something Wolverine once said to her

Yeah, Wolverine was her mentor and she sees herself as Franklin's mentor.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Ah, Beast. Love ya.

Look, someone needs to take Krakoa to the next level. Xavier is deluding himself and everyone!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haven’t gotten to x-force but the bar was already so loving low are y’all serious that Beast just took it lower??/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Judgement Day, Motherfucker!

God that was wonderful.

Also it's interesting to tease that something big other than the X-Men reveal happens at the Gala. Looking forward to seeing what that is.

And Kate was teasing Franklin, but was telling him that everything will work out in the end. Like yeah, he'll eventually get his powers back so don't worry.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he'll absolutely get his powers back but whether he'll ever be a mutant again is less certain. fuckin' dan slott.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he'll absolutely get his powers back but whether he'll ever be a mutant again is less certain. fuckin' dan slott.

I know we've been over it but that's still such a weird and what feels like a petty move, especially after the miniseries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Haven’t gotten to x-force but the bar was already so loving low are y’all serious that Beast just took it lower??/

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beast has sucked for years so this is nothing new. I hope the council tosses his rear end into the pit.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Beast has sucked for years so this is nothing new. I hope the council tosses his rear end into the pit.

Beast being an absolute poo poo is the best thing about Beast. Kid Omega having more redeeming qualities than Beast is just masterful storytelling.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much all of Hellions was great but the best moment in the X-books this week had to be Emma having the hots for Captain America for like 5 minutes before reading him and coming to the horrifying truth that she reminds him of his mother.

So I guess drat, Mrs. Rogers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Pretty much all of Hellions was great but the best moment in the X-books this week had to be Emma having the hots for Captain America for like 5 minutes before reading him and coming to the horrifying truth that she reminds him of his mother.

I could absolutely see Emma Roberts as a Flapper. Do we have much info on Steve's mom that isn't from when the reality cube altered his origin to make him a Nazi?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Judgement Day, Motherfucker!

God that was wonderful.

Also it's interesting to tease that something big other than the X-Men reveal happens at the Gala. Looking forward to seeing what that is.

And Kate was teasing Franklin, but was telling him that everything will work out in the end. Like yeah, he'll eventually get his powers back so don't worry.

Kate was giving all of us hope that one day, Dan Slott will no longer write FF and someone better will correct that awful retcon. We just have to wait.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I hate Slott as much as the next person, but part of me thinks he's gonna undo the Franklin thing on his own.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I maintain the Franklin bit has the feel of a weird editorial mandate - and if it was just some dumb petty bullshit it's still his editor's fault for letting him do it, in that case

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I could absolutely see Emma Roberts as a Flapper. Do we have much info on Steve's mom that isn't from when the reality cube altered his origin to make him a Nazi?

I want to say she got a fair bit of panel time back when John Byrne was drawing the book for a while. I have a distinct memory of seeing a picture of Sarah with Byrne!face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
captain america ran for so long without being particularly interesting for most of it. it would be more surprising if there weren't multiple arcs dedicated to his childhood.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Finally, her fake midatlantic accent backfired

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skwirl posted:

His parents were Irish immigrants and his dad was an abusive drunk who died young. His mom died of pneumonia when he was in his teens. So, you know, he didn't have the best childhood.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

fatherboxx posted:

Finally, her fake midatlantic accent backfired

My head canon has her with the Southiest of Boston accents.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Where did the backstory of Steve's dad being an abusive drunk come around? Seems like kind of a bad Irish stereotype

Also, when are we going to find out what exactly the Hellfire Gala reveal is? Is there a one shot or mini I missed?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

Where did the backstory of Steve's dad being an abusive drunk come around? Seems like kind of a bad Irish stereotype

Remender's run, per the Marvel wiki. I also remember reading that stuff and thinking "wait, has anyone ever covered cap's dad before?" and maybe no one had? Anyway, please stop making everyone the product of an abusive family life. Thanks.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Joseph Rogers shows up for the first time in the DeMatteis run, Captain America #282 (1983). He shows up as a hallucination and delivers a little pep-talk.

And continues to appear in supportive flashbacks throughout the issue:

His mother Sarah also shows up in the same arc:

So this isn't just a (relatively) healthy superhero upbringing-- it's a DeMatteis superhero upbringing, so the fact that Steve isn't chained to a toilet having rats thrown at him is doubly astonishing.

Sarah herself shows up a few years earlier, in Captain America #255 (1980) in flashbacks as FDR peruses Steve's files. At this point we're just told that his dad died when he was young and Sarah had to raise him alone.

This story was written by Roger Stern and penciled by John Byrne so it might be the Byrne-face panel alluded to up-thread, although #282 has Mike Zeck drawing some very Byrne-y faces so I'd understand the mix-up.

Anyway so that's the original Joseph and Sarah. If anything, if Cap had hang-ups about his dad, I would say that it would make sense for them to be about the fact that he looks like Steve probably would have if he'd not gotten the Super Soldier Serum-- bookish, skinny, a little frail looking (and apparently somewhat fragile in constitution). But still-- obviously a nice supportive guy whose ideals remained close to Cap as an adult.

So yeah Remender's retcon was a bit of a 180.

And in my opinion not a very compelling one.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
are there any comic writers nowadays who don't have big rear end daddy issues

I remember when Odin was supposed to be the sensible one. Nowadays he makes that dickhole, Marvel Zeus, look like lovable Homer Simpson.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

But even DeMatteis said that Steve's dad was an alcoholic, the very next panel after that one with Sarah

So Remender making Steve's dad an alcoholic, abusive piece of poo poo didn't come entirely from nowhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chip's latest newsletter includes his MOST CONTROVERSIAL TAKES on characters. Here's Wolverine:

Full newsletter here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chip's hottest take is that Wonder Woman was still born from clay. AND HE'S RIGHT! :mad:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1400497512897777673

Nick Foles??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

no Scott Aukerman despite his love of Marvel and writing Mojo Black? for shame