Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay let me rephrase

Why is Huawei still bothering to sell phones to North America? This is literally mobile phone hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

Okay let me rephrase

Why is Huawei still bothering to sell phones to North America? This is literally mobile phone hell

Higher percentage of high margin flagship purchases I'm guessing. Also free advertising from youtube reviewers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

Why is Huawei still bothering to sell phones to North America?

I don't think they have been, not for quite awhile.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't think they have been, not for quite awhile.

Just America. Not "North America".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just America. Not "North America".

I didn't think they were even bothering with Canada without Google apps, but I guess I was wrong.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Huawei is technically in the Aussie market but no one buys them and they are only sold online. Oppo seems bigger here than the US/Canada, and OnePlus doesn't exist at all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, phone selection from Canadian carriers is ridiculously trash.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

KingKapalone posted:

Why isn't everyone switching to these cheaper options that use the same network? Lack of awareness?

Lower priority service for one, in crowded areas your service will be noticeably worse on an ATT reseller than an ATT customer's service would be.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I'm the proud owner of a brand new Pixel 4a, upgrading from an iPhone 6 and the difference in performance and battery is surreal. That said I've been seeing a lot of stuff about how to maintain a healthy battery like "never charge it above eighty percent" " never let it charge overnight" "the slower it charges the better for the battery" and so on so forth. How much does any of this realistically matter and am I committing battery war crimes by fully charging it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I'm the proud owner of a brand new Pixel 4a, upgrading from an iPhone 6 and the difference in performance and battery is surreal. That said I've been seeing a lot of stuff about how to maintain a healthy battery like "never charge it above eighty percent" " never let it charge overnight" "the slower it charges the better for the battery" and so on so forth. How much does any of this realistically matter and am I committing battery war crimes by fully charging it?

Don't micromanage your battery too much. If you leave it plugged in 24/7 for a few years your phone will grow up big and strong.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Inverted Sphere posted:

4a/4a5g/5 on Android 11 does a thing where if you have a morning alarm set and you leave it charging overnight it will do the last 20% right before you wake up.

That's basically all you need to worry about, just don't leave it plugged in all day.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Don't micromanage your battery too much. If you leave it plugged in 24/7 for a few years your phone will grow up big and strong.

:staredog:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rexxed posted:

that battery is on roids

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Everyone says they want a bigger battery, but then complain when they get one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I would do a spiciest pillow competition but I don't like to move the coffee can of fire hazards around too much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Why isn't everyone switching to these cheaper options that use the same network? Lack of awareness?

I pay $160 for four lines with unlimited everything with no video downsampling on T-Mobile. Maybe I could do better but why deal with MVNO weirdness and poor customer support when $40/m is fine? Either you're happy with what you pay or you aren't and either you're happy with your service or you aren't. I've got better things to do than shop for cellphone plans to save $5.

blunt posted:

4a/4a5g/5 on Android 11 does a thing where if you have a morning alarm set and you leave it charging overnight it will do the last 20% right before you wake up.

That's basically all you need to worry about, just don't leave it plugged in all day.

Only M-F and if you work certain hours.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 3, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rexxed posted:

That's how I finally killed my Nexus 5. Just left it on the Google Nexus Wireless Charger™ and the battery grew like the Grinch's heart.

Thankfully I'd already replaced it by then when I put it out to pasture

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mister Facetious posted:

That's how I finally killed my Nexus 5. Just left it on the Google Nexus Wireless Charger™ and the battery grew like the Grinch's heart.

Thankfully I'd already replaced it by then when I put it out to pasture

My Nexus 4 died a similar death on my Tylt Vu after a few years, and my first Pixel 3XL after about a year on the Pixel Stand.

The replacement Pixel 3XL.that Google sent me has never touched a wireless charger.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
clip-on sunglasses for your phone

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

maltesh posted:

My Nexus 4 died a similar death on my Tylt Vu after a few years, and my first Pixel 3XL after about a year on the Pixel Stand.

The replacement Pixel 3XL.that Google sent me has never touched a wireless charger.

Oh yeah I've replaced a hundred batteries or so in my earning phones over the years, the one in the earlier picture is just getting to the point where it's time because it's also getting unstable. My dad's 3XL stays on the wireless charger and last year it seemingly suddenly puffed up and the side opened up. I sent this pic to the google fi rep, but about an hour later the adhesive gave up and it was just a hole you could almost stick your thumb in. Luckily they replaced the phone since he's paying for the extra protection every month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My dad was fond of leaving his phone in cars on summer days. Then he started complaining about bright spots on the display and I knew it was time to replace the phone since the battery was surely swelling.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

butt dickus posted:

clip-on sunglasses for your phone

Remember the Snapchat Specs (I think they were called?)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Remember the Snapchat Specs (I think they were called?)

"Were"? They just made new ones.

https://www.spectacles.com/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh, I remember reading about it years ago and thought it was just a one and done before-its-time kinda thing that never materialized. Haven't heard anything about it since, snapchat is dumb anyway

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Newest Pixel Buds are available for preorder from the store.

They seem... ok? At least this time they're sweat resistant considering I destroyed my wired-set two years ago just from a single exercise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tetrabor posted:

Newest Pixel Buds are available for preorder from the store.

They seem... ok? At least this time they're sweat resistant considering I destroyed my wired-set two years ago just from a single exercise.

I'd really have preferred they kept the volume swiping :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My mom and I are discussing forcibly upgrading my dad's phone in a couple months. He currently has a pixel 2. Mom has a 4a she's happy with. Is the 4a 5g version the best bang for your buck phone, or might there be some other favorite? I haven't been following news closely.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How powerful a phone is your dad going to need? If he's been holding out with a P2, would he be perfectly happy with a less expensive Moto G Power that suits his usage?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My mom and I are discussing forcibly upgrading my dad's phone in a couple months. He currently has a pixel 2. Mom has a 4a she's happy with. Is the 4a 5g version the best bang for your buck phone, or might there be some other favorite? I haven't been following news closely.

Best bang for your buck? A used Pixel 4 XL can be had for ~250 on Swappa which seems to be a nice value.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Just get him a 4a

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Is it a regular 2? Does he want the bigger phone that is the 4a 5G?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

My dad was fond of leaving his phone in cars on summer days. Then he started complaining about bright spots on the display and I knew it was time to replace the phone since the battery was surely swelling.

As a guy who handles warranty claims for tech in Australia, people like your dad are a big part of my day every day.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Does anyone know how to change the accent colour for the Galaxy S21? Like, I just don't want it to be the default blue, I'd like something else. I don't really want a theme overhaul or anything like that; the Theme button takes me to this Samsung store thing to buy a whole theme (or wallpaper or icon or always on display bg) which are not what I want? I tried fiddling in the Theme store app settings too but can't find anything there either

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sourdough posted:

Just get him a 4a

This is what I'm leaning toward. He's not terribly heavy user, but he's also not terribly tech savvy. The more I think about it, the more I want him to be on something that matches what I have.

Though a cheap 4 XL might work too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Artelier posted:

Does anyone know how to change the accent colour for the Galaxy S21? Like, I just don't want it to be the default blue, I'd like something else. I don't really want a theme overhaul or anything like that; the Theme button takes me to this Samsung store thing to buy a whole theme (or wallpaper or icon or always on display bg) which are not what I want? I tried fiddling in the Theme store app settings too but can't find anything there either

*Takes deep breath*

I promise I'm not a crazy person and the words I'm about to spew forth are real and earnest because this is how you do something that's a simple menu selection on most other phones but is inexplicably THIS from a manufacturer that at one point allowed you to change things like CPU throttling limits in the settings menu.

First, you download GoodLock from the Samsung store. Like its name clearly indicates, this is for customizing your phone.

Then, once you have that, open it up. Then, from the two bottom tab choices of "Unit" and "Family" select "Family" (because, you know, theming is a family affair and not a...unit?)

From there, you can install Theme Park from the Samsung store.

This will allow you to create your own theme instead of needing to download them and you can focus on just the accent color. Though, there is a limitation that the theming is a color scheme derived from a wallpaper. But hey, you can change it in this clearly simple built in process.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

*Takes deep breath*

I promise I'm not a crazy person and the words I'm about to spew forth are real and earnest because this is how you do something that's a simple menu selection on most other phones but is inexplicably THIS from a manufacturer that at one point allowed you to change things like CPU throttling limits in the settings menu.

First, you download GoodLock from the Samsung store. Like its name clearly indicates, this is for customizing your phone.

Then, once you have that, open it up. Then, from the two bottom tab choices of "Unit" and "Family" select "Family" (because, you know, theming is a family affair and not a...unit?)

From there, you can install Theme Park from the Samsung store.

This will allow you to create your own theme instead of needing to download them and you can focus on just the accent color. Though, there is a limitation that the theming is a color scheme derived from a wallpaper. But hey, you can change it in this clearly simple built in process.

:stare:

edit: :stonk:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 4, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:wtc:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Any particular reason? I'd be still on my 2XL if I didn't smash the screen last year.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ragingsheep posted:

Any particular reason? I'd be still on my 2XL if I didn't smash the screen last year.

Last security update was in December and also it was my mom's idea, it's not my money, and I have better things to do with my life than argue against tech updates for a man who still has a VCR.

Edit: also, :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

This is what I'm leaning toward. He's not terribly heavy user, but he's also not terribly tech savvy. The more I think about it, the more I want him to be on something that matches what I have.

Though a cheap 4 XL might work too.

The only thing about the 4 XL is used instead of new is slightly dicey (but prob fine) and having face unlock instead of finger print isn't great if he's used to finger print. Otherwise yeah, especially if he likes the size, seems good to go for either.