Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah gently caress that, ain't no rules on the open water.

No

There are rules. And those rules make this even better!

By bringing that boat back they get a salvage claim against the owner and/or their insurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLAS_Convention

Chapter V

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mr. Crow posted:

Source? Of the meme

https://twitter.com/retro_ushi_/status/1399438626665074688?s=20

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I didn't know there were so many drat rules to the open water. The open water sucks, gently caress that poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sagebrush posted:

Unlike on land, by international law the captain of a boat (any boat) is actually obliged to render assistance to any vessel in distress, as long as it would not put his own vessel in undue danger.

I'm sure they'd do the same for us

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Also it’s a loving inland lake wholly located in a single state. SOLAS ain’t got poo poo to say about that. Only that’s state’s laws are applicable. And lol some adjuster is going to be real happy to have that video.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

green: science

blue: mathematics

purple: art

pink: language

orange: history

Correct.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I'm sure they'd do the same for us

It's funny that these losers got owned, don't make it a whole weird thing!

e: oh hey someone fixed my av. Thanks mystery benefactor

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol some adjuster is going to be real happy to have that video.

Sir, you inappropriately and dangerously operating your boat.

No it doesn't matter that you poo poo your pants, we won't cover that, either.

Yes, you're out a boat and a pair of pants. Thank you for choosing Allstate. Happy Pride

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Also it’s a loving inland lake wholly located in a single state. SOLAS ain’t got poo poo to say about that. Only that’s state’s laws are applicable. And lol some adjuster is going to be real happy to have that video.

Apparently, it was uninsured! Aces!

"I hereby sentence you to reimburse the State for the environmental impact to the lake, and to wear, at all times and for the duration of your six-month sentence, these rainbow "SAVED BY PRIDE" T-shirts"

*bangs gavel*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PainterofCrap posted:

Apparently, it was uninsured! Aces!

"I hereby sentence you to reimburse the State for the environmental impact to the lake, and to wear, at all times and for the duration of your six-month sentence, these rainbow "SAVED BY PRIDE" T-shirts"

*bangs gavel*

A friend of mine back in trade school was driving his shitbox Holden Commodore in the late 90s, and messed up with the clutch and popped the car's nose out into 70km/h traffic. Where he was t-boned by a C-class Mercedes. Which was t-boned by a reasonably new Ford Falcon GT. Which went sideways into a tram pole, knocking it out of alignment.

When I got there he was sitting on the curb, face in his hands, asking how he was ever going to pay for this. "I've only got third party insurance!" he wailed. That day, he learned a powerful lesson about the value of making sure someone else is liable, and what the term "third-party" means.

He'd probably still be paying off the damages today.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qtjk0mKLD61v8uuzf.mp4

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

LifeSunDeath posted:

still don't understand why they didn't leave them to die in the water.

saving them is both kinder and way way more cruel :devil:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Life is sacred, even if it's a waste.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

how does a boat just blow up like that

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dabir posted:

Imagine revving your car engine as hard as possible for like 30 minutes.

Same concept.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dabir posted:

The boat's natural state is to be on fire, everything the owner does is to prevent that.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Nothing like smoking big doinks in a corn field.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Same concept.

how does a car just blow up like that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dabir posted:

how does a car just blow up like that
It's a Tesla

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

internal combustion engines are just nonstop explosions, sometimes the explosions get out

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Same concept.

Except boats rarely have more than one gear so they're usually designed to operate at high RPM for extended periods of time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wonder if this tragedy could have been avoided if Tesla was making self-driving electric boats

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cat Hatter posted:

Except boats rarely have more than one gear so they're usually designed to operate at high RPM for extended periods of time.

Which is why I said revving your car engine. That doesn't drop the RPM into the next gear.

And the higher the speed the greater the resistance in water drag, so you never just want to full throttle an outboard for a long time because, much like revving a car engine, you're just going to blow it up. As seen here and every summer holiday in lake towns.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Dabir posted:

I don’t know boats but the boat person had a guess

https://twitter.com/retro_ushi_/status/1399514748345937920?s=21

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Which is why I said revving your car engine. That doesn't drop the RPM into the next gear.

And the higher the speed the greater the resistance in water drag, so you never just want to full throttle an outboard for a long time because, much like revving a car engine, you're just going to blow it up. As seen here and every summer holiday in lake towns.

That's an inboard and I've never been on a recreational boat* that couldn't do at least 10+ minutes at wide open throttle without issue, usually without even the engine temperature increasing.

More likely some chud didn't keep up on the maintenance on his 90s ski boat fuel system and also didn't have the best airflow through the engine compartment while doing aggressive maneuvers.

*Yes there are more utilitarian boats that can over-rev their engines.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Blessed to be a member of these forums whose denizens debate maritime law in response to a meme about a bunch of hillbillies on a lake

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

I need a shitload more of these half-life dub memes stat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PazGQkWQdyE

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LifeSunDeath posted:

still don't understand why they didn't leave them to die in the water.

Because it's hilarious.

Those fuckers now have to live the rest of their lives knowing they owe them to the people they hate. Also, it was a lake. They (probably) weren't going to die. The choice was between a humiliating swim back to shore or a humiliating ride back, the people in the boat chose to let them ride and I would have too so that I might further bask in the warming glow of their suffering.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Just glad the fuckin bigots lost a boat though still sad for the polluted lake

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Sagebrush posted:

Unlike on land, by international law the captain of a boat (any boat) is actually obliged to render assistance to any vessel in distress, as long as it would not put his own vessel in undue danger.

Surely "bringing these aggressive people on board would endanger crew/passengers of the vessel" nixes that pretty quick, but hey, it's a feelgood

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Having pieces of poo poo like that at your mercy sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

freeedr posted:

Just glad the fuckin bigots lost a boat though still sad for the polluted lake

Someone is going to have pull the boat out of the water, and the bigots will have to pay for it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

oh dope posted:

Someone is going to have pull the boat out of the water, and the bigots will have to pay for it.

Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Who's that new internet computer lady everybody's getting weirdly horny over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Android Apocalypse posted:

Who's that new internet computer lady everybody's getting weirdly horny over?

Bixby