Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Tyron has looked really bad in his last few UFC fights. He is a shell of his former self. (though looking back at his last four losses, they're all very solid opponents) I'm glad he's getting a big payday for this, but don't expect him to stand a chance against Jake. He also fought at welterweight his entire career. Jake is coming in way heavier and larger.

I think this is a good choice of opponent if you're Jake's management team, because Tyron was once a UFC champion. Jake wins against this guy, and maybe some of the haters will shut up, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Beating a "name", a greatly diminished fighter, is still a step up, and I'm interested to see what happens. He really might be serious enough about boxing to keep working his way up like this; we might actually get a sloppy but earnest fight against a club fighter level boxer at some point. Hell, I bet Roy Jones'll fight him!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. F! posted:

Tyron has looked really bad in his last few UFC fights. He is a shell of his former self. (though looking back at his last four losses, they're all very solid opponents) I'm glad he's getting a big payday for this, but don't expect him to stand a chance against Jake. He also fought at welterweight his entire career. Jake is coming in way heavier and larger.
I just noted this in the UFC thread, but Jake's been coming in 9-10 under the cruiserweight limit, so I doubt he's cutting other than losing some sweat on the day of weighin.
Tyron wasn't an especially big 170lber, but he was for sure cutting, so I'd see him at least 185 walking weight in a prime training camp. The weight / muscle difference is likely small. Reach is still a huge factor, though.

In his last fight, Tyron looked more comfortable and effective striking than Askren ever has, though very little of it will translate to boxing.

quote:

I think this is a good choice of opponent if you're Jake's management team, because Tyron was once a UFC champion. Jake wins against this guy, and maybe some of the haters will shut up, haha.

I agree, it's extremely smart matchmaking and capitalizing best on wherever this freakshow career is going.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I want Jake Paul-Robbie Lawler

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I don't want to fill the thread with *too* much mma shitposting, but

sportsgenius86 posted:

I want Jake Paul-Robbie Lawler

why do you want to see robbie lawler die

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you were actually trying to build him up as a fighter, wouldn't the next opponent be someone with absolutely no punch but a decent defense, so you get several rounds of setting him up and working at his defenses, playing with feints, etc? Like some club fighter with a losing record and known noodle arms but he shells up good, has a chin, doesn't panic, and will tacitly agree to get beat on for 6 rounds?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If the gas is, by our default assumptions, suspect, then you don't want the fighter you're trying to build up look weaker and weaker against the defensive wall.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a good point; I was thinking of something Angelo Dundee said once, that you want to expose your fighter to different, and increasingly challenging, match ups, but always slowly enough that they still pull off a win while growing.

Hell, maybe "experienced MMA fighter who will willingly trade but can't box and is shot generally" is that.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Am I crazy to think that a pretty raw fighter is gonna have way worse gas?

Woodley went on a show called "The Titan Games" and was put up against a high school teacher in an obstacle course, and he got completely obliterated because he gassed so hard after the first couple of obstacles that he could barely stand up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TastyAvocado posted:

Woodley went on a show called "The Titan Games" and was put up against a high school teacher in an obstacle course, and he got completely obliterated because he gassed so hard after the first couple of obstacles that he could barely stand up.

Yeah, he completely flubbed that different sport with somewhat fitness requirments.
Not enough time to really tell in the one round loss to Luque, but he looked about as good as he normally does, which is much better than on Titan Games.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, he completely flubbed that different sport with somewhat fitness requirments.

So like... mma to boxing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TastyAvocado posted:

So like... mma to boxing?

I think just punching is closer than flipping giant cubes uphill. To what %, I can't say.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

TastyAvocado posted:

In his defense it was immediately obvious that Woodley had never seen any of the obstacles before and the teacher seemed very familiar with them, also:

His website posted:

I am currently a high school basketball coach, assistant baseball coach, slow-pitch softball player, amateur powerlifter, and full-time outdoorsman.

So maybe not quite just "a high school teacher" :shrug:

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

It's like saying the terrorists in Under Siege lost to a cook. The dude was jacked as gently caress and looked juicier than the person hosting the show (the rock)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fpr those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAynWMcimg

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That teacher is extremely good at that. Does the Rock ever join in?

Joe Frasier went on a show like this back in the day and could barely bench anything because he'd never done any serious weight lifting, even in his book on boxing his attitude was "my son does that and if it makes you stronger go for it, but I get stronger at boxing by boxing".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That teacher has some sort of corn fed generic freak thing going on. County strong I guess.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

TastyAvocado posted:

He got beat by what looked like a cross-fit devotee who was obviously very familiar with the course. And he wasn't miles behind at the end. No shame in that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm trying to figure out where obstacle course running fits into the equation of whether or not a man can beat jake paul in a fight to truly reckon with the power of mmath

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Marching Powder posted:

it's perfectly possible ben askren had no answer for the sloppiest, slowest, most telegraphed right hand thrown in a boxing ring that was watched by more than a hundred people, but i think we might have seen evidence of this at some point prior to losing to jake paul...

Your honour, I'd like to introduce exibit A, Ben Askren's MMA career.

He never unlearned his stand up wrestling habits and never developed footwork or head movement. He was also shot to pieces when he faced the younger, stronger fighter with a longer reach. Occam's razor and all that.

kimbo305 posted:

Am I crazy to think that a pretty raw fighter is gonna have way worse gas?

Well, no, not generally. Tensing up and not having the experience to pace yourself does tend to affect the more inexperienced fighters. However, Paul seems to thrive in the spotlight and so I don't think he'll be as tense as other fighters with only 3 pro fights might be. He's also appears to have been training pretty seriously and boxing focused for the last 3-4 years. Woodley packs a poo poo ton of muscle on his frame and muscles need oxygen. He has been known to struggle with his cardio in the past, though in his prime (and still, really) obviously had much, much better striking and power than Askren. I really have no idea how this fight is going to turn out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Throwing embarrassing one twos while highly loose and unaffected by the spotlight unlike an mma prodigy who is too stiff and bad to avoid a telegraphed overhand. Levels to this poo poo.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Marching Powder posted:

Throwing embarrassing one twos while highly loose and unaffected by the spotlight unlike an mma prodigy who is too stiff and bad to avoid a telegraphed overhand. Levels to this poo poo.

Of all the hills to die on, I think defending the striking acumen of "K1" Ben, The Terror of Lumpini and the slickest boxer this side of Willie Pep might be the most bizarre I've ever seen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Got one year of boxing experience? Sure, go ahead and cream our mma contender.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Maybe a guy who has boxed for a year isn't quite on the level of an mma champion? Absurd hill to die on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

However, Paul seems to thrive in the spotlight and so I don't think he'll be as tense as other fighters with only 3 pro fights might be. He's also appears to have been training pretty seriously and boxing focused for the last 3-4 years.

His fights have been really short to make anything or e about his gas. I don't follow him in any form -- does he regularly show his training camps or boxing workouts?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Maybe a guy who has boxed for a year isn't quite on the level of an mma champion? Absurd hill to die on.

Lets bet 10 bucks on it, i'll take jake

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Lol good understanding of my position.

Marching Powder posted:

hello tyron 'tons of prospects' woodley, it would be extremely profitable for us if jake beats you. i'll just put this extra million here and turn around

how dare you sir my champion's honour is unimpea- [shovelling cash into his jacket]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also i can get woodley at +253 at any bookies so why i'd take a +200 bet with a goon is a goddamn mystery

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

also i can get woodley at +253 at any bookies so why i'd take a +200 bet with a goon is a goddamn mystery

Cause betting is fun

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mr. F! posted:

lol way to miss the point about a dude that went down smiling about the bag he was getting

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

lol way to miss the point about a dude that went down smiling about the bag he was getting

It’s hilarious you guys think that fight was fixed, or that it even needed to be.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

A hobbyist beating a person with an entire career at the highest level and literally thousands of times more strictly boxing rounds done in training may have been a fixed fight? You're only embarrassing yourselves here.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

A hobbyist beating a person with an entire career at the highest level and literally thousands of times more strictly boxing rounds done in training may have been a fixed fight? You're only embarrassing yourselves here.

We're talking about Benjamin Askren here

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

boxing
may have been a fixed fight?
You're only embarrassing yourselves here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

what does boxing training have to do with ben askren

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Declan MacManus posted:

what does boxing training have to do with ben askren

He’s like a useful fixed point of zero to measure everyone else against.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jean Pascal has now failed tests for 4 different drugs: epitrenbolone, drostanolone, and drostanolone metabolite A, and now EPO. He claimed that he was not aware of taking any of the drugs and blamed it on one of his coaches, but EPO needs to be administered via syringe, so obviously Pascal knew what was up.

Pascal's 38 years old, will be 39 years old later this year. Have to imagine this is the end of the road for his career.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mr. F! posted:

We're talking about Benjamin Askren here

I think we all agree that Askren sucks but on the other hand, Jake Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jean Pascal has now failed tests for 4 different drugs: epitrenbolone, drostanolone, and drostanolone metabolite A, and now EPO. He claimed that he was not aware of taking any of the drugs and blamed it on one of his coaches, but EPO needs to be administered via syringe, so obviously Pascal knew what was up.

Pascal's 38 years old, will be 39 years old later this year. Have to imagine this is the end of the road for his career.

That was his super vitamin shot all organic