Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. id liked to see a short 40k story by robert now. he would be better then guy haely or that weird gently caress who made the genestealers sexy and have sexy vaginas.

Uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm sure there's also a writer who was determined to make the Necrons sexy and they're bloody robo skeletons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

It was one of the early books. I believe it might be the first 40k novel. Ian Watson wrote it. Apparently, it could have been made into a movie. https://youtu.be/LwKC5fxhIZo

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire was always the “baby’s first Union concept” as a kid so I always love learning more about it and this episode loving ruled with the “actually it kinda starts not in NY” bit

But unfortunately my substance addled mind kept saying “trongle fire”

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

GunFondler42069 posted:

good news, my exciting new trilogy "Tyranids: But They All Have Vaginas" launches from Black Library this fall

Any news on movie options yet?

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

zach snyder is attached to direct

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stupid Sexy Orks

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

GunFondler42069 posted:

zach snyder is attached to direct

Wow, should be the finest 18 hours put to film.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Grand Fromage posted:

Stupid Sexy Orks

Are we talking this (potentially NSFW):

Or this {definitely NSFW):

You can thank the traditional games terrible miniatures thread for these.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Am I bonkers* or did I hear a hint on a potential Magdalene Laundries episode?

The recent discovery (which tbh feels more like an admission to poo poo that’s been known) of the bodies underneath the residential schools reminded me of them. The Catholic Church is deathly allergic treating people like human beings.

*I am totally bonkers but hopefully not for this reason

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

Am I bonkers* or did I hear a hint on a potential Magdalene Laundries episode?

The recent discovery (which tbh feels more like an admission to poo poo that’s been known) of the bodies underneath the residential schools reminded me of them. The Catholic Church is deathly allergic treating people like human beings.

*I am totally bonkers but hopefully not for this reason

yeah. as a weird gently caress who likes catholic history and some of the theological poo poo/ideas/esoteric poo poo written by weirdos in 16th century. id love for robert to do more hosed up crimes of the catholic church. like the ceptic tank full of kids in the various irish catholic child homes/convents. or the sex scandels.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. as a weird gently caress who likes catholic history and some of the theological poo poo/ideas/esoteric poo poo written by weirdos in 16th century. id love for robert to do more hosed up crimes of the catholic church. like the ceptic tank full of kids in the various irish catholic child homes/convents. or the sex scandels.

same niche! my mom specifically joined The Episcopal Church from Catholicism because she liked the ritual but then never elaborated as to why she left the Catholic Church (which was a big part of her life growing up). I grew up appreciating the ritual, odd pageantry and intense visual interest around Catholicism and what The Episcopal Church copped from them. I also find the Catholic Worker movement loving fascinating, as I’m a satanist due to my political beliefs and vice versa.

I find the actual Catholic Church and hierarchy itself morally incompatible with modern day existence and complicit with and if not, directly causing or participating in crimes against humanity. Yeah you can say that about a lot of religions and what not but the Catholic Church has a unique twist on utterly hosed up actions, like a loving calling card.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Samovar posted:

Are we talking this (potentially NSFW):

Or this {definitely NSFW):

You can thank the traditional games terrible miniatures thread for these.

TFW no burly big titty orc mommy gf.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

no amount of nudity is too much for a tabletop strategy game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

arnt there a bunch of weirdly really rapey table top or something. i remember vaguely hearing about some. like 40k is dark and violent but it mostly manages to steer clear of weird rapey stuff. like even slanesh is more about hedonism and extreme passions in general more then sex.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

arnt there a bunch of weirdly really rapey table top or something. i remember vaguely hearing about some. like 40k is dark and violent but it mostly manages to steer clear of weird rapey stuff. like even slanesh is more about hedonism and extreme passions in general more then sex.

Mostly tabletop gets as rapey as players make it and luckily the ones that do are a definite minority. But you'll always know by the weird amount of care they took in making custom boobwindows for their all female spacemarine chapter.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that's more of an RPG issue than a (mostly but not exclusively) wargame like 40K

But yeah, you're thinking of F.A.T.A.L.

Or possibly RaHoWa

...Robert, do an episode about RaHoWa

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

that's more of an RPG issue than a (mostly but not exclusively) wargame like 40K

But yeah, you're thinking of F.A.T.A.L.

Or possibly RaHoWa

...Robert, do an episode about RaHoWa

You know, an episode ostensibly focused on Varg Vikernes would allow for a look at the connection between the far right and geekdom, and could cover a lot of ground.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You know, an episode ostensibly focused on Varg Vikernes would allow for a look at the connection between the far right and geekdom, and could cover a lot of ground.

He’s a bastard even among black metal fans as he is absolutely a brainworm riddled mess. His work under Burzum is undeniably influential to the genre (as is uh, loving Mayhem, without a doubt), and is a cornerstone to the genre but he is 100 percent bonafide Out There.

Black metal is the most intricately threaded needle in my life and one where I’m openly hypocritical yet oddly comfortable with it. It loving rules.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
There's probably enough content for a Tabletop Kickstarter griftersphere episode, but researching it would involve a level of digging through fandom drama I wouldn't wish on anyone

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

There's probably enough content for a Tabletop Kickstarter griftersphere episode, but researching it would involve a level of digging through fandom drama I wouldn't wish on anyone

The amount of petty tabletop gaming bullshit out there is neverending. I'm vaguely salty over a Kickstarter I backed where the person never posted any pictures of the dice she as supposedly hard at work making for eight months, then claimed she was ill with cancer and can't make the dice anymore. Her Facebook doesn't tell the same story, and she already used family cancer as an excuse like four months previously. And that's just one small dice Kickstarter, I'm sure there are whole games and systems that ripped people off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Joke's on you, I put all my money into Star Citizen ships.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I'm sad True Allegiance is over. The whole thing had a similar vibe to the gamergate comic books that keep grifting.

take a bullet for you, babe

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 4, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

poly and open-minded is a bear of a man

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Getting an ad during WYE for chew was funny, but getting nothing but the same ad for chew, over and over, back to back, was extremely funny.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I can't wait for the episodes of The Ben Shapiro Show where he mockingly reads selected chapters of After The Revolution

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

well the epub will be free, so he'll have easy access to it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

poly and open-minded posted:

I'm sad True Allegiance is over. The whole thing had a similar vibe to the gamergate comic books that keep grifting.

take a bullet for you, babe

And yet, as they said on the pod, there's something weirdly satisfying that Ben clearly wrote it as the start of a trilogy and the response was so bad he just gave up.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

TFR has done a bunch of "patriot fiction" lets reads which I think started with John Ross' Unintended Consequences. It's loving wild and you can go read it if you have archives:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3054909&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If you don't feel like reading through the thread for the best part: John Ross registered an account and shows up part way through the thread (page 35). At a goon shoot years prior he damaged a goons car after he got frustrated with his UZI and threw a mag, scratching the hood. He ended up getting bullied into mailing said goon a check for the damage.

Unintended Consequences would be awesome for Caty and Cody episodes but it's almost 900 pages long. Covering books like this could just be their own podcast.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you're going to make the news crew suffer through another right-wing fantasy project, there is no reason not to swing for the fences and read John Ringo's Ghost.

"He collects hookers like cats!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My John Ringo story: I saw him at a convention (I think DragonCon) something like 15 years ago, and he was really pissed off that he didn't get similar numbers to his event that the Star Wars authors got. He also said he was going to try not to swear because there were kids in the audience and swore anyways.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
while i did quite enjoy the eventually-abortive Let's Read John Ringo: Oh John Ringo No (...which iirc was a different thread than the one linked up-page lol), i wouldn't mind it being a low-effort drunken bonus production of the Robert Evans Podcast Studio

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while i did quite enjoy the eventually-abortive Let's Read John Ringo: Oh John Ringo No (...which iirc was a different thread than the one linked up-page lol), i wouldn't mind it being a low-effort drunken bonus production of the Robert Evans Podcast Studio

John Ringo's "hero" who (cw: sexual assault) rapes a woman and then tells her that he won't kill her if she cuddles with him until morning literally put me off my lunch. That fucker owes me a chipotle bowl.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

teen witch posted:

The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire was always the “baby’s first Union concept” as a kid so I always love learning more about it and this episode loving ruled with the “actually it kinda starts not in NY” bit

But unfortunately my substance addled mind kept saying “trongle fire”

Same, mostly because I had one of those "historical fiction for girls supposedly to teach history" novels about it.

(Dear America was kinda rad even if I'm sure I would read them in retrospect and hold my head in shame.)

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

GunFondler42069 posted:

Hi Robert, could you tell me more about working for Bellingcat? Seems like it might be an interesting place to work

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1401730153378631682

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1401721842428170241

Did you meet Brown Moses aka Elliot Higgins through these forums?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Yossarian-22 posted:

Hi Robert, could you tell me more about working for Bellingcat? Seems like it might be an interesting place to work

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1401730153378631682

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1401721842428170241

Did you meet Brown Moses aka Elliot Higgins through these forums?

Did you meet Mark Ames while serially sexually assaulting women in Russia? We can play guilt by association all night long.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

OK, so based on that tweet what you have is:

1. There were rumors of African mercenaries fighting for Qaddafi and doing terrible things
2. Eliot posted about this on Something Awful

Blumenthal includes one highlighted segment of an article that claims journalists did not see these mercenaries. However, other reporting from the time in Libya makes the situation far less clear:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/feb/22/gaddafi-mercenary-force-libya

Here's a fun story about South African mercs who got stuck in Libya after failing to protect Qaddafi:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2011-10-26/south-african-mercenaries-stuck-libya-reports

The horrific lynchings of sub-Saharan africans (often guest workers) in Libya was a terrible crime, and one that has thankfully been extensively reported. Blaming it on some Something Awful posts is pretty dumb. And of course it follows the Blumenthal pattern of finding a horrible human rights abuse on one side and ignoring every massacre committed by the side he supported. Cool poo poo.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

Did you meet Mark Ames while serially sexually assaulting women in Russia? We can play guilt by association all night long.

How the gently caress did this not get probed but the guy he said it to did? Junpei you loving suck at your job dude

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Too many people accusing each other of war crimes, not enough people comparing dick sizes using pesos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

GunFondler42069 posted:

Here's a fun story about South African mercs who got stuck in Libya after failing to protect Qaddafi:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2011-10-26/south-african-mercenaries-stuck-libya-reports

By ‘fun story’ did you mean to say ‘short article reporting on some rumors that lacks any real substance’?

Also, your first article is also kind of problematic for a number of reasons (the sourcing is primarily a govt official trying to get the west to intervene) but even then feels the need to end on this choice quote

quote:

Issaka Souare, a senior researcher at the ISS's Africa conflict prevention programme, said: "In the south of Libya you do have people of sub-Sarahan origin, including Hausa speakers. Some might have integrated into the Libyan army and these would probably be among the first to be deployed. It will then be easy for people to say they are foreign mercenaries.

"People started talking about this issue on the third day, but I think Gaddafi should have had sufficient resources to deal with the protests before resorting to mercenaries. How long would it take Gaddafi to get mercenaries together and deploy them? Maybe a week. So I see it as unlikely at this stage, but it could happen if army defections continue."

You’re clearly better at vetting media sources than this, this feels a bit lazy dude

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 14, 2021