Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fib posted:

My keyboard is bluetooth and wearable, I am well beyond the dork horizon echi

thanks for posting in yospos, dr starner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

here's a keeb

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fib posted:

My keyboard is bluetooth and wearable, I am well beyond the dork horizon echi

:eyepop:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
keeb weeb

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Designing a pcb to replace the handwired mess

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://twitter.com/deuceofgears/status/1397278394581143553?s=21

ah, one of my favorite authors uses the correct keyboard

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
someone tell their publisher to send them a monitor, holy moly

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
https://twitter.com/kinesisergo/status/1397335511694381058

Kinesis announced the Advantage 360. Personally I'll be waiting for the Kinesis Advantage Series X

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

relevant here too

Midjack posted:

Oh mkultra, maybe try to be less monkeycheese and focus on communication and unfucking your shipping charges. Just try to read this message:

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
New optimal keyboard layout dropped. You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

https://www.keyboard-design.com/letterlayout.html?layout=chia.en.matrix

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fib posted:

New optimal keyboard layout dropped. You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

https://www.keyboard-design.com/letterlayout.html?layout=chia.en.matrix

i trust you but this is still wild

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
My takeaway from following these various optimisation-based approaches over the years is that there will always be a family of weird layouts that score very highly for the scoring metric you pick, and it won’t look much like the optimal result for other metrics; but qwerty always scores pretty bad, dvorak is not actually that much better, and colemak (esp the mod-dh variant) does decently well. If I ever try an alternative layout it will probably be colemak mod-dh.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my 8 key is getting wonky

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
pcbs arrived and are working nicely

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Why spend millions on artisan keycaps when I can just print my own!

https://imgur.com/gallery/KAsBvdt

Threw a few on my E10 as a test and they came out pretty good.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Dang, that is some fine detail

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Fib posted:

My takeaway from following these various optimisation-based approaches over the years is that there will always be a family of weird layouts that score very highly for the scoring metric you pick, and it won’t look much like the optimal result for other metrics; but qwerty always scores pretty bad, dvorak is not actually that much better, and colemak (esp the mod-dh variant) does decently well. If I ever try an alternative layout it will probably be colemak mod-dh.

Yeah I appreciate that on those metrics colemak (and new layouts like 'chia') are more efficient, but there are other comfort/preference metrics that aren't always captured. If someone was starting today I wouldn't have any data to recommend dvorak, but prefer its hand-alteration than the finger rolling of colemak, for example.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the question is is there any optimization great enough to overcome the advantage of the muscle memory built up over decades of use of the alternative?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
prob not. twenty years ago i decided to learn to touch-type properly and chose dvorak because it's all i knew about other than qwerty, and thought it would be easier to break my habits of childhood with a complete change.

anyway i just got a kinesis edge and trip report: i like it. i don't play games at all but it had some features i wanted over their office models, and I didn't want to shell out for anyone's ergodox models or make my own.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i talked to the #1 rsi champion at work today on zoom, the person that literally writes perl via voice commands (i am NOT joking)

anyways she gave me ammo to buy a $400 fancy split mechanical and get the company to pay for it

the magic four letters: O S H A

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so i have rsi (cubital tunnel syndrome) and had a meeting today with our company's rsi expert who literally writes perl via speech recognition. she told me to push hard for a really nice keyboard to slow things down.

what is a fully split kb (i want halves i can fiddle around) with a really good curve and the ability to load whatever switches i want into it. i buckle. i have been slain. teach me your ways. noise is not a real problem as i wfh

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

I think the Ergodox EZ meets all those requirements and is within that budget https://ergodox-ez.com

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gabensraum posted:

anyway i just got a kinesis edge

right on buddy

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
i am also recommending the EZ to johnny. you can do what you like with it, you can even flash just qmk to it if for some reason you feel limited by their configurator thing, you can get replacements if somehting breaks, etc

i’ll also say: i have real lovely RSI and so does one of my brothers. ergodoxes help a lot for our brand of rsi (tennis and golfers elbow). CTS may be helped by this, but CTS is also one of the few kinds of RSI with medical options for treatment with a decent track record

you probably know that already but just in case ✨

i hope you are in less pain soon man, rsi has been one of the most soul crushing things happening to me personally in the last few years. wouldn’t wish it on anyone

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
oh but if by “curve” you mean the keywell thing that the kinesis has, i am pretty sure your best bet is a DIY thing like the Dactyl Manuform thing; there aren’t a lot of fully split keywelled things available, and i’m not aware of any to be bought outright without doing it yourself

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Jonny 290 posted:

so i have rsi (cubital tunnel syndrome) and had a meeting today with our company's rsi expert who literally writes perl via speech recognition. she told me to push hard for a really nice keyboard to slow things down.

what is a fully split kb (i want halves i can fiddle around) with a really good curve and the ability to load whatever switches i want into it. i buckle. i have been slain. teach me your ways. noise is not a real problem as i wfh

Kinesis Freestyle Pro, do not follow the path of custom pcb keys they will lead you astray.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
waiting on approval for work keeb but i picked up a FC980m with reds for the photoshop / game box

tired of the old busted pos i was using

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the leopold came in today

folks i am sorry i ever made fun of mechanical keyboards

this is so good

also i think i'm really happy with reds. it's not clicky but if you run it right you get just a little bit of sproing sound going on

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i did it and got a mechanical as well, pushed over the edge by cariad showing of hers, and ordered a keychron k3 with their brown opticals

coming from almost a decade of using the same apple bluetooth wireless keyboard it's a nice improvement and just the way i wanted it to be. good tactile bump almost like pre-2016 apple keyboards but more travel and a lighter actuation

i wanna add that dhl is hot garbage as a shipper. the sample switches took a month to clear the last 100 miles to my door with no explanation, while the board got here in 5 days from the same factory and dhl says it's on hold still? amazing

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

the leopold came in today

folks i am sorry i ever made fun of mechanical keyboards

this is so good

also i think i'm really happy with reds. it's not clicky but if you run it right you get just a little bit of sproing sound going on

ooh leopold. i got myself a fc750r in march with reds as well and it's very nice for home use

sorry, jonny.. you're in the cult of the keeb now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am currently trying to convince work to pay for the Moonlander if they want my hands to continue working

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

please keep making fun of mechanical keyboards, we all deserve to be ridiculed

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Wait until you try some lubed switches, you don’t even know what you’re missing

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
just about finished my build, it's a keebio levinson rev3 (basically a planck but split in two) with gateron browns. dsa keycaps. Started it as a soldering project and because my previous keyboard is too big for my desk

it all works and I've been using it for work, now only thing left to do is tent it with some bolts from the hardware store and customise the firmware some more

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fib posted:

Wait until you try some lubed switches, you don’t even know what you’re missing

lol?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i think this is legit advice. while waiting for my full kb i pulled apart one of the sample switches and accidentally removed some of the grease on the tactile spring. i used a dusting of my dry silicone spray (food production grade) from when i was swapping the bearings on my trackball as a replacement and it was so smooth

if you're in the market for a spray like that, i found it more reliable to get it from a supplier (i went with lem products) for meat grinders and food grade machinery. they'll have one with odorless propellant that's okay for repeat direct contact since it needs to be safe for trace ingestion. i also now enjoy the oddly specific seasonal equipment catalogs and offers for a discounted first year of bowhunter magazine lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh ok. yeah i could see dry silicone being okay. i was terrified yall were loving around with like white lithium grease or smth lol

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Please don’t spray random lubes into your switches oh god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Wv4OGdmu4

I personally use Tribosys 3204 for the stem and housing and Krytox 105 for the springs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'll have to look up the proper lube since these are opticals, but i'm not terribly concerned right now and don't want to risk any getting down into the light sensors

the spray itself is popular for trackballs since it dries to a thin powder coating and won't gum up from dirt and dust falling into the wells. how i've use it is similar to the video, brushing it on using the propellant as a suspension that evaporates in a few moments when thin enough

people used to to use oils or grease, but those worked best for a billiard ball on steel bearings, now everything is plastic on tiny ruby or (ideally) zircon beads and those wells are hard enough to clean without something to suspend in

edit: basically it's used similar to ptfe dry lubricants

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
my deft pro could definitely do with some of that stuff. although I'm starting to think some of the stiction is because one of the ball bearings isn't actually static... I'd swear it can rotate in the housing and that it's catching.