Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

We have an awkward situation in my band, cos one of the guys never stands his round. On the one hand he is poorer than the rest of us (minimum wage), but on the other hand he chooses to have a phone contract of £140 per month (literally seven times what I'm paying lol) because he always wants the latest phone, and splurges loads of money on gadgets and gaming peripherals all the time.

He therefore only ever has like a few quid in his account, which means he never gets us a drink. Where does this out put him on the bastard scale, and where does it put me for moaning about it?

Guillotine unfortunately but everyone looks sad while doing it and you get a few pat's on the shoulder on your way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
He has the Samsung folding phone which is worth like £1300, plus the plan itself, then they upsold all the bells and whistles cos they saw him coming.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Food £50
Utilities £20
Phone £140
Pints £0

please someone help me budget this my band hates me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DickEmery posted:

How the gently caress is someone paying 140 quid a month for their phone?

It's easy if you buy a flagship phone with unlimited data every year, because those contracts are £70 a month for 24 months.

As for rounds, I was taught when young to never get involved in them for much the reason Jaeluni set out - if you're not buying the most expensive drink, you're subsidising everyone else's night out. Also unless you know you're having as many rounds as there are people and everyone is in on every round then it isn't fair on someone. That's how you really tell who you don't invite to the pub; it's the guy who insists on doing rounds and complains when you say you'll buy your own.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Latest iPhone or Galaxy on a 12 month contract with whatever the max data available is might push it that high

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

It's easy if you buy a flagship phone with unlimited data every year, because those contracts are £70 a month for 24 months.

As for rounds, I was taught when young to never get involved in them for much the reason Jaeluni set out - if you're not buying the most expensive drink, you're subsidising everyone else's night out. Also unless you know you're having as many rounds as there are people and everyone is in on every round then it isn't fair on someone. That's how you really tell who you don't invite to the pub; it's the guy who insists on doing rounds and complains when you say you'll buy your own.

Also goes for meals out.
I was out with the family (pre covid). I asked to be billed separately. I'm single. I don't drink - mostly I just have water because fruit juice is too sweet, pop gives me bellyache and I'm allergic to alcohol. My mum is widowed but she went in with the rest which included 3 couples + her.

The couples put £40 in per couple. Of which a great part was the half of each couples who was necking copious pints of Cobra and in this instance the Cobra-neckers were also the highest paid in each couple so as they were paying the whole £40 per couple anyway, probably a reasonable deal for the COUPLE.

My bill was £11.70. The others divided it equally. My mum who had *exactly* what I had ended up paying £20. She looked at my bill and said 'I think I'll do that next time'.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sounds like he needs a talking to about cheating on rounds or a suggestion that he should just buy his own instead if that's easier/better for him, but how much he spends on his phone contract (or anything else he spends his money on) shouldn't have any bearing on that. You're not his financial planner, you're his aggrieved drinking buddy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jaete posted:

Simultaneous equations are one of the most important things to learn for physics/statistics/math, i.e. for any "STEM with high earning potential" type of career

As a quite highly paid person in the T part of STEM I have never used any maths more advanced than trigonometry. And that was for hobby robot poo poo not work.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I often wonder why Scotland at least doesn't just adapt the Finnish curriculum for Scottish purposes if it's so drat good

I mean, I know that it's because the SNP is a lovely neoliberal party and Scotland is just an equally shite but slightly less bigoted England, but if Finland has gotten primary and secondary education so right, how the gently caress are we struggling so much at it

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

The trick is to slow your drinking when it would otherwise be your round, so you've barely started when everyone else is halfway through. It should be observed that this makes you a prick.

What the gently caress is going on with starmers hand?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's very difficult to teach thinking abstractly in concrete terms.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think it's a weird perspective thing, he's grasping his inside leg just above the knee, so his pink and ring finger are splayed out over the top of his thigh.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

The left one doesn't know what the right one's doing. HTH

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

imo if you're buying a round you should do it with no expectation of reciprocation. it's a group gift basically, if you want to bean count who is having what in order to min-max your returns against them when it's their turn then just let everyone buy their own. Its easier now to do that anyway since everywhere does table service via QR code, and also let's people drink at their own pace instead of keeping up with Red Faced Gary who can simply pour pints directly into his stomach without all the faff of swallowing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Christ alive my phone contract costs £20 a month and that gets me more data than I could possibly use without going out of my way to try. (O2 though, so I bet that won't last long now). What do these cunts think they're going to use "unlimited" on?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

if you're not buying the most expensive drink, you're subsidising everyone else's night out. Also unless you know you're having as many rounds as there are people and everyone is in on every round then it isn't fair on someone.
This is wrong for the same reason flat taxes aren't fair. Round Communism is the only fair approach: everyone who can just arbitrarily buys as much booze as they can afford, and everybody drinks as much as they like. From each according to their ability, to each according to their thirst.

Jedit posted:

That's how you really tell who you don't invite to the pub; it's the guy who insists on doing rounds and complains when you say you'll buy your own.
gently caress this guy though, this is definitely the guy who hears the Round Communist saying "hey I'm getting a drink what's everyone having" & says "yeah I'll have a [expensive drink]" & then pointedly does not reciprocate because it wasn't technically that person's turn to buy (thereby getting excluded from the Cool Pub Goers' Club, which Jaeluni would be quite welcome at because she just politely said she was fine thanks)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

We have an awkward situation in my band, cos one of the guys never stands his round. On the one hand he is poorer than the rest of us (minimum wage), but on the other hand he chooses to have a phone contract of £140 per month (literally seven times what I'm paying lol) because he always wants the latest phone, and splurges loads of money on gadgets and gaming peripherals all the time.

He therefore only ever has like a few quid in his account, which means he never gets us a drink. Where does this out put him on the bastard scale, and where does it put me for moaning about it?

I think this puts him in the stupid bastard end of the scale

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Christ, buying rounds is just a pleasant way to drink with mates. If you're counting the pennies to see who's getting more value or whatever just don't take part. Everyone hates the guy who makes it weird.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

blunt posted:

Sounds like he needs a talking to about cheating on rounds or a suggestion that he should just buy his own instead if that's easier/better for him, but how much he spends on his phone contract (or anything else he spends his money on) shouldn't have any bearing on that. You're not his financial planner, you're his aggrieved drinking buddy.

Well yeah, this is why it's aggravating. I'm not gonna lecture the guy, it's just frustrating to hear him moaning about not being able to afford eating / drinking when his spending habits elsewhere are so ridiculous.

Also, Jedit, you sound like a terrible night out.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Always get the first round, more people come as the evening goes on and you can gently caress off before it's your turn again. Unless the night is going well in which case go to the nearest cashy and withdraw 300 to spend on another round and a couple of bags of gear.

And also start smoking again

And get chips

And forget to tell your girlfriend where you are.

I miss pre Covid land.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 3, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

thespaceinvader posted:

WHy are they silly?

Plenty of people don't have any route to learning life skills that isn't school, why shouldn't school equip people to live life?

(In principle that is, in practice that's not what it's there for)

Schools should absolutely teach things like cooking, cleaning, budgetting, taxation and tax brackets, basic civics, etc etc etc

I was too unspecific, the "silliness" is the second half of the sentence: "why didn't they teach us X life skills instead of this useless trigonometry crap" - there is room for both.

Though I do enjoy hearing from actual teachers like Sad Panda, because we're all experts on education because we went to school, but in reality I like to hear what's actually going on, and what schools are expected to do these days.

Like, in my harrumph-schools mode, I wonder why they're not teaching 2 foreign languages in early primary school, what else are they doing with their time at that age, which is the perfect language learning age. But I assume it's not that simple.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

As for rounds, I was taught when young to never get involved in them for much the reason Jaeluni set out - if you're not buying the most expensive drink, you're subsidising everyone else's night out. Also unless you know you're having as many rounds as there are people and everyone is in on every round then it isn't fair on someone.

Trying to game theory round buying is weird behaviour. If someone offers to get drinks in you get something you want that isn't particularly expensive unless your pal is Marvin Moneybags. If you want a Macallan 18 then I'm going to tell you straight up to gently caress off & be less of a bellend. Just get a loving pint of whatever thing you like that's on tap, then sure, someone might end up down at the end of the night but it's a difference of 20-30p a drink. If I want something a bit pricier then I'll buy it on my own round because I'm looking to get the best value out of my pals.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

I was too unspecific, the "silliness" is the second half of the sentence: "why didn't they teach us X life skills instead of this useless trigonometry crap" - there is room for both.

Though I do enjoy hearing from actual teachers like Sad Panda, because we're all experts on education because we went to school, but in reality I like to hear what's actually going on, and what schools are expected to do these days.

Like, in my harrumph-schools mode, I wonder why they're not teaching 2 foreign languages in early primary school, what else are they doing with their time at that age, which is the perfect language learning age. But I assume it's not that simple.

When I were a lassie at Welsh primary schools in the 1960s (including in the Valleys) we did French at school. Now the kids have to do Welsh. So for a lot of south Wales the teacher is one chapter ahead of the kids in the books.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dabir posted:

Christ alive my phone contract costs £20 a month and that gets me more data than I could possibly use without going out of my way to try. (O2 though, so I bet that won't last long now). What do these cunts think they're going to use "unlimited" on?

Mine is unlimited data and usually ends up under 20€

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Round buying is for pints only, and none of the fancy poo poo either. Once spirits start getting involved, it throws the balance off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Flayer posted:

Christ, buying rounds is just a pleasant way to drink with mates. If you're counting the pennies to see who's getting more value or whatever just don't take part. Everyone hates the guy who makes it weird.

Sometimes though you're not drinking with mates, it's a work thing. Where I used to work if you didn't go out and get plastered on a Thursday night you were "not a team player" and noted as such which had a knock on impact on perceptions during the working day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wonder how many builders don't know what a theorem is but can use the "3-4-5 square" method to get a square corner.
99 please post the 'gently caress it' corner from your build.

Borrovan posted:

The trick is to just buy the drat round, if some people can't afford to then everybody politely pretends not to notice, & if people obviously could afford to but still don't then just don't drink with those people :colbert:
I have historically always been broke, always had a terrible memory, and so have always made it absolutely clear up front that i'm pacing myself and will not be joining in with rounds. Anyone who has a problem with that is generally not a person I go to pubs with again.

The absolute worst is the person who gets weird about me not 'accepting their hospitality' and then gets weird later about

No, scratch that - the absolute worst is the person who gives me cash 'while I'm up' and expects me to remember their order and change knowing how bad my memory is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

He's doing the Reeves Mating Dance:

Just another part of the long-term "Please god make it be the 90s again" thing they've got going on.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I was sent this earlier about wider sharing of GP data from England; I wondered what the thread made of it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/03/gp-nhs-digital-data-patients-records-england

Apologies if you already discussed it in May's thread - I've been ducking in and out of late.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have historically always been broke, always had a terrible memory, and so have always made it absolutely clear up front that i'm pacing myself and will not be joining in with rounds. Anyone who has a problem with that is generally not a person I go to pubs with again.

The absolute worst is the person who gets weird about me not 'accepting their hospitality' and then gets weird later about

No, scratch that - the absolute worst is the person who gives me cash 'while I'm up' and expects me to remember their order and change knowing how bad my memory is.

If I am round buying, I write down the order on a post it note. If there are more than 3 drinks I just can't remember them all.
Some people get arsey about that too!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dabir posted:

I get unlimited data with smarty for 20 quid a month and just use my phone as a hotspot so I don't need to bother with WiFi for the flat, it's pretty cost effective

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Testro posted:

I was sent this earlier about wider sharing of GP data from England; I wondered what the thread made of it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/03/gp-nhs-digital-data-patients-records-england

Apologies if you already discussed it in May's thread - I've been ducking in and out of late.

I’ve opted out (and I never do that with patient surveys, allow junior doctors to examine me or sit in on my treatment) because it’s being snuck in so quickly and quietly that I absolutely do not trust it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile in real life:

is there a tool which can crawl a website and save it?
My relative has just had a new website built and there are a lot of errors on it which the developer made.
The developer is now being really arsey about it and my fear is, knowing my relative, that it will get to the point where the developer will simply take the whole thing down.
It has many pages, so visiting each one manually will take eternity and a lot of the links aren't working properly.
It's not a wordpress site and I don't know what the developer used. Developer is also hosting it and relative's new domain name.
(One reason I like to keep domain name separate from hosting! At the very least you can post a blog somewhere - not on a wordpress.org site as you can't repoint to those - and temporarily repoint the domain name in situations like this! Which are not rare, I've had to rescue a few peoples' sites from hosts who disappear or whatever.)

Ed: I've saved it in the wayback machine for now but I don't think that crawls all the pages.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 3, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

He has the Samsung folding phone
lmao

I'm assuming if he has this phone and spends that much on it he's always getting it out and playing with it / showing it off, in which case the answer is relentless ribbing. When he ducks out on his round ask if the phone will spot him since he's paying enough for it to basically be his landlord, or ask if the phone will drive everybody home since it's pricey enough to be JARVIS, etc.

If you're going to spend that amount of money on your phone instead of your mates you should expect to be made embarrassed about it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile in real life:

is there a tool which can crawl a website and save it?

wget is the command line tool for doing that, which works very well. Not sure about gui tools though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Foreigner hot take: rounds suck.

I'm a casual social drinker and can keep up, but I don't like being forced to drink more than I otherwise would or having to subsidise others' expensive drink choices. In practice it almost always means that everyone is forced to adjust their drinking to the heaviest and fastest drinkers in the group.

Rounds are to the UK what tipping is to the US, an annoyance of going out that's not strictly compulsory but that in practice you have to conform to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Flayer posted:

Exactly, have often been the one not taking part as couldn't afford it.
Had a friend though who always made sure he was last in the round, and tried to dodge paying for any after the first or second bought.
He did the usual, off to the toilets when it was his turn next, etc.
It came to a head when it was his turn but he said he didn't want any more, and refused to buy the rest a pint to cover being bought ones in the previous go around.
His best friend since childhood threatened to punch him, he ran home and locked himself in his bedroom (we were students living together at the time).
His best friend kicked a hole in the bedroom door in rage.
Fun night that night

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sinky posted:

wget is the command line tool for doing that, which works very well. Not sure about gui tools though.

Thanks I'll try it later.
Just off to get my Bill Gates 2nd chip inserted so assuming I'm alive to see it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what the jiggery pokery is that supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bobstar posted:

I'm a secondary computing teacher so not a primary expert but the general answer is because there's a mountain of everything else to do. https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/at-school/ looks at it. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum is the official documents about what the national curriculum covers. KS1+2 are primary.

For languages in particular I'm sure a lack of specialist knowledge is a huge impact too. Primary teachers teach everything. Each primary school will have a subject lead who is the 'expert' for that subject. Having been around local primary schools who have computing leads that don't at all feel comfortable with it, I can imagine the need to have a French and Spanish expert would be too much for many.

My secondary school still has a language as a compulsory GCSE option and that leads to a lot of grumpy students who disengage.