Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Good job catching this. This is why I warn people so heavy handedly to verify wire instructions with someone you already know. For all you know they replaced the pdf on the title companies single file server, so the person (refer to thread title) emails it to you and potentially then verifies it with you.

This is why I pick up written wiring instruction in person from the title company. If they screw that up by printing off an incorrect PDF I have written documentation from them for their liability carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So a few hours ago we got a random knock at the door and it was a couple about our age inquiring about the vacant house next door (our house's twin, more or less). They asked if we'd heard anything about it hitting the market, how many units it is (it's two rather than three, which makes reversion to SFH easier), what the neighborhood is like and what it's like living here (good friendly neighborhood and we like it very much). They are very interested in the house, seemingly as owner-occupiers (which is much more preferable to us than some lovely property investor snapping it up and renting it forever or doing a trashy flip). The tenants left last July, and they said the owner intended to sell it, but there's been very little movement on it - a contractor was over a couple weeks ago to fix something or other, and the yard crew comes every so often, but other than that, nothing. Maybe the contractor coming by means that it's being prepared for market? :iiam:

Anyhow, first time we've been hit up by prospective buyers in the neighborhood. Market must be intense if they're trying to gather intel on off-market properties. This neighborhood has historically had pretty low turnover, but it's worse now and the houses are more expensive than ever (doubled in three years). Soooo glad we bought when we did.

Anyone else get random inquiries about nearby houses/the neighborhood/your own house recently?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow.....your zestimate is about to go up.

(that's crazy, but I hope you get a good neighbor)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

gwrtheyrn posted:

Dunno about you but I wouldn't buy a house where the floor was vertical :v:

Also reminder this is the PNW, sunlight is a premium feature here and trees = infinite moss growth

I noticed moss growth around the yard, grass was growing but sparse. The roof looked good in the inspection but they hopefully we’re having it treated to inhibit moss growth. Yes, when there sun I want to be out in it since it’s so rare here but can’t complain about the last few weeks. We’ve had some stellar summer weather and it’s only June 2nd.

These trees are 30yrs old and not going anywhere, I think having an arborist trim them/thin them out probably wouldn’t do enough to bring in light, just too many tall trees surrounding the yard.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Elephanthead posted:

Why are professionals using email to send documents. Very disappointing. Don’t they all have docusign like services by now.

Back when we were buying our place in 2018, the lender we ultimately went with was sending and replying to all emails by sending a link to a secure app which you had to log into and TFA in order to read the messages. This was happening with ALL the emails. At one point the seller's agent was like, "Can you please just start sending things in a normal email?!" and the guy responded with the most polite version possible of, "No, I'm not a loving moron, you shouldn't be using normal email for any stage of this." It was pretty cool.

Also, as someone that has multiple extended family members in the real estate business, that entire back and forth a page ago was pretty funny. Growing up hearing their stories was the main reason I didn't involve any real estate agents in the purchase and selling of my first two homes (but I always had a Real Estate Lawyer). Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the lawyer whether they are recommended by the REA or not, but that's the only expert I would trust the REA recommendation on. The rest you should be researching and picking out before you find your dream house so you are ready to send emails the moment you get an offer accepted.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

On Terra Firma posted:

Because real estate agents do not want to find out that the inspector they recommended missed something especially if it's big. We want inspectors to do the job they're hired for and find every loving defect no matter how small because you want to be the guy/gal that brought the best inspector on earth to the deal that saved them from buying the flip with the hidden blemishes. You should absolutely hit up your agent and tell them what happened even if it's just to vent and bitch them out for recommending the inspector in the first place.

(For the record I like having a realtor posting here, thanks for bringing your perspective)

I've considered telling the realtor and inspector, and I just don't see it being worth it. Even if I just wanted to help them/their future clients, I'm not sure it does much. "Hey man, you kinda did a bad job on this one, do better in the future." It would just make them feel bad, embroil me in more business I don't care to partake of, and maybe they would try to help or "fix" the issue. They can't help. I mean maybe they could, I have wondered hopefully if they might have a special motivation to find a solution. But they also might be motivated to find a solution I don't like.

I've told my story already, but here's the relevant details-
Realtor
We shopped for about a year, and viewed something like 10 houses in our preferred neighborhood, plus others in other parts of town. This one was by far the nicest and appeared to also be in the best shape, so we made an offer and wanted to be competitive. The realtor suggested putting "as-is" for more competitiveness. I said I didn't like that, but acquiesced to wife wanting to go with realtor's suggestion. Realtor puts the offer together, sends it for signatures, and includes a disclosure waiver without ever discussing it, just "I have also attached the bill of sale, and a few other documents that we will sign and send with your offer. All pretty straight forward. Call me with questions!"
Inspector
He of course pointed out little fiddly bits, but generally was emphatic it's a good house in good condition. In the report, he said the roof had no hot spots where snow melted, and included a photo where you can see the hot spot with snow melted.
House defect (Thread)
It's subtle enough I don't really feel the inspector was obviously negligent, but might be serious enough that there's no fix that the realtor or inspector will voluntarily be a part of. I've had two more inspectors as well as at least 4 other contractors look, and none have stated an assessment of the defect. I wonder if they wish to avoid being involved in a liability situation.

I am working on making my peace with getting dumped on. It could be cathartic to vent some bile on them. Maybe they could connect me with the right contractor. But I can get catharsis posting, and I don't know that I can trust the recommendation of the jokers who already screwed this up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm no longer IK in here. My apologies to anyone I pissed off. This thread is now directly in Sundae's hands, may God have mercy on us all.

Anyway, for content here's a house my real estate agent sent me that on paper meets all our checkmarks:

Listed +20% over market. And yes that's the neighbor's driveway running smack through the property within 2 feet of the house. Very creative photos of the place made it seem like the driveway wasn't there at all. Also note the 8' privacy fence and freshly planted shrubs seem to indicate some drama with the neighbors. We'll pass on that one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just browsing, but:

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/2360-S-Josephine-St-80210/home/34153269

Tell me why this would be a train wreck. Is a flat roof a definite no in a city where it snows (but then melts very quickly)?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Epitope posted:

House defect (Thread)
It's subtle enough I don't really feel the inspector was obviously negligent, but might be serious enough that there's no fix that the realtor or inspector will voluntarily be a part of. I've had two more inspectors as well as at least 4 other contractors look, and none have stated an assessment of the defect. I wonder if they wish to avoid being involved in a liability situation.

The bizarre part about this is that you've had other people that you chose that aren't associated with the agent to come look at the house and all of them are saying there isn't an issue if I'm understanding correctly. I've heard of contractors bidding some crazy amount to basically say "yeah I don't want to do this, but if you're dumb enough to pay this much I will". They aren't even doing that here. It seems like you've got this conga line of people who can't identify what the problem is which kind of goes back to my original point that I don't believe it's the agent recommending people who will help them shuffle the deal along. This seems a lot more complicated than that. Any reports from the other inspectors/roofing contractors?

You should still reach out to them and let them know what's going on. From a purely selfish perspective the agent has an opportunity here to find someone who maybe has experience with this and swoop in and save the day by connecting you with that person. That is what their motivation would be here, but I highly doubt they planned on getting you into a busted home so they could do this because that would be giving them too much credit. What I don't get is why you put an as-is offer on a home built in the 1950s because :psyduck:. If someone says to me they want to make a competitive offer that will not be rejected then I'm going to tell them offer up more money, waive repairs, cover a gap in appraisal etc and then tell them to not do any of those things because the house is older then they are and what the gently caress why are you even entertaining this? If I say those things and they tell me to write up the offer, then I'm going to write up the offer because they're the boss. Not saying that's what happened here, it's just how it would play out for me.

When did you close on this place? December of 2020?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Just browsing, but:

Tell me why this would be a train wreck. Is a flat roof a definite no in a city where it snows (but then melts very quickly)?

That wood siding looks a little gnarly from the photos. You'd think they'd at least get it powerwashed before putting photos up.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't believe it's the agent recommending people who will help them shuffle the deal along. This seems a lot more complicated than that.

Sure, I'm with you there

On Terra Firma posted:

What I don't get is why you put an as-is offer on a home built in the 1950s because :psyduck:. If someone says to me they want to make a competitive offer that will not be rejected then I'm going to tell them offer up more money, waive repairs, cover a gap in appraisal etc and then tell them to not do any of those things because the house is older then they are and what the gently caress why are you even entertaining this?

That's why I'm sore at the realtor. Maybe she's a scummy scammer, or maybe she roped us into making a reckless move cuz she's just an irresponsible idiot. Either way, why should I engage with her further?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Epitope posted:

That's why I'm sore at the realtor. Maybe she's a scummy scammer, or maybe she roped us into making a reckless move cuz she's just an irresponsible idiot. Either way, why should I engage with her further?

Or she doesn't know any better because this seems like a unique situation that goes beyond some gently caress up on her part. I'm only kind of giving her the benefit of the doubt here because of how bizarre the situation is. At the very least you can be a cautionary tale for when she's having those discussions with other buyers and she sure as poo poo will tell others to pump the brakes before putting in an as-is offer. Yeah it doesn't fix things for you, but neither does coming into a thread and venting about it. Not saying you shouldn't do that, but you're giving other people a reason to be cautious with their home purchase which is a good thing.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ya, that's pretty much where I'm at.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

Just browsing, but:

The roof drains through the center drain on the roof where you can see the staining. You'd want to make sure that drain stays clear from any debris. It doesn't look like its an issue, I don't see any trees overhanging the roof directly, but it's something I'd probably check before winter every year and make sure it stays clear.

I don't know what's up with the ash cladding... kinda looks funky in some spots, but it might be by design.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

Just browsing, but:

I wonder how many times the previous owners drove into the back of that garage before they installed the parking lot curbs.

Is the discoloration around the windows on the exterior an issue? I know nothing about that type of siding.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

I wonder how many times the previous owners drove into the back of that garage before they installed the parking lot curbs.

Is the discoloration around the windows on the exterior an issue? I know nothing about that type of siding.

I'm thinking maybe that side of the house doesn't see as much sun which is why it's isolated there. Just not drying out and causing some deterioration. Not a home inspector or someone who has any experience with that type of siding. I've never seen it around here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

On Terra Firma posted:

That wood siding looks a little gnarly from the photos. You'd think they'd at least get it powerwashed before putting photos up.

skipdogg posted:

The roof drains through the center drain on the roof where you can see the staining. You'd want to make sure that drain stays clear from any debris. It doesn't look like its an issue, I don't see any trees overhanging the roof directly, but it's something I'd probably check before winter every year and make sure it stays clear.

I don't know what's up with the ash cladding... kinda looks funky in some spots, but it might be by design.

Dik Hz posted:

Oh duh, I didn't even notice the discolored siding, I was just excited for that garage. :downs:

I wonder how siding like that holds up.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Denvet is really dry almost all the time, except for these past few months. That much water discoloration is odd if it's newish construction like it looks to be

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Guess who needs to get two Ash (borer) one White Oak (heavy lean toward house) and one Maple (rot) trees removed?

I thought it was just going to be the white oak 😭

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

Guess who needs to get two Ash (borer) one White Oak (heavy lean toward house) and one Maple (rot) trees removed?

I thought it was just going to be the white oak 😭
Did you keep the wood? White oak burns great. That stuff is like charcoal.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GEMorris posted:

Motronic again??

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Motronic again??

lol, drat you.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Dik Hz posted:

Did you keep the wood? White oak burns great. That stuff is like charcoal.

I want to get the white oak sawn, and preferably kiln dried if possible. Woodworking is my primary hobby (behind fixing houses, now, apparently).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

I want to get the white oak sawn, and preferably kiln dried if possible. Woodworking is my primary hobby (behind fixing houses, now, apparently).
Would you rent the tools and do it yourself? Most places won't touch residential timber due to the chance for nails and other debris.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Would you rent the tools and do it yourself? Most places won't touch residential timber due to the chance for nails and other debris.

CL and Facebook Marketplace are full of dudes with portable saw mills that will come to your home to do this.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My real title agent gave me permission to gently caress with the fake scammer title agent.

The stranger is real concerned that they haven’t seen my $150,000 wire and angry that didn’t keep the receipt. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

eddiewalker posted:

My real title agent gave me permission to gently caress with the fake scammer title agent.

The stranger is real concerned that they haven’t seen my $150,000 wire and angry that didn’t keep the receipt. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Tell them you're stuck at work and need $20 for an uber to get to the bank to send the wire in person.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

eddiewalker posted:

Say you went back to the bank and they gave you a replacement receipt. Scrawl a handwritten receipt signed Leonard J. Crabs, Esq. Include misspellings and transpose two numbers in the wire transfer number.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

GEMorris posted:

Is the maple salvageable? That'd make for some nice carving wood for kitchen spoons and stuff. Still though, I'm vicariously happy that you're able to get some nice wood from your defective trees - the trunk of one of the trees felled on my block, a black walnut, is still lying in the neighbor's backyard a year later going to waste. These yards are landlocked by the surrounding houses, which are all like four feet apart, so no one can get equipment to it. Other neighbors want some sections to use as outdoor furniture and I'm wondering if it'd still be good for some cutting boards. Too far gone for proper furniture at this point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yond Cassius posted:

Say you went back to the bank and they gave you a replacement receipt. Scrawl a handwritten receipt signed Leonard J. Crabs, Esq. Include misspellings and transpose two numbers in the wire transfer number.

Make sure you use a nicely "broken in" pencil.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Queen Victorian posted:

Is the maple salvageable? That'd make for some nice carving wood for kitchen spoons and stuff. Still though, I'm vicariously happy that you're able to get some nice wood from your defective trees - the trunk of one of the trees felled on my block, a black walnut, is still lying in the neighbor's backyard a year later going to waste. These yards are landlocked by the surrounding houses, which are all like four feet apart, so no one can get equipment to it. Other neighbors want some sections to use as outdoor furniture and I'm wondering if it'd still be good for some cutting boards. Too far gone for proper furniture at this point.

The Maple is rotting in place, so it is unlikely (but possible further up the tree. I'd love to collect a lot of limbs for greenwood spooncarving but realistically I'm going to be focusing on home repairs and improvements for a few years before I get back to woodworking for its own sake.

The situation you are describing sounds like a situation ideal for an alaska mill, which is normally very wasteful but is ideal where you are operating with poor equipment access, but you are correct that it most certainly too late now.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Motronic posted:

Wow.....your zestimate is about to go up.

(that's crazy, but I hope you get a good neighbor)

It's already up 100k since we bought :supaburn:

My husband spotted different people snooping around at the house this morning. Something's definitely afoot.

But yeah, really hoping it gets bought by owner-occupiers (even gentrifying tech fucks) instead of a property investor or flipper. Maybe prices have gotten high enough to deter the cheapshit bottom-feeders. The thing about the houses here is that they're huge (5+ bedrooms) and originally built quite well, and while they make good multiunits, they also clean up into high-end SFH's very nicely and buying a ratty multiunit and restoring it is a well known route to obtaining a sweet-rear end Victorian, and with restored houses going for over half a mil, I'm guessing more folks would be considering going the multiunit restoration route to get their hands on a slightly less unaffordable house in the vicinity.

Actually I think I'll call my real estate agent and give her a heads up that something's going on. The more prospective buyers who aren't property investors the better.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bought in March, house up 5% in value since then. Very nice.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zillow still has mine at 570 (closed end of April for 725 at appraised value) and they still don’t have the sale record.

Redfin also doesn’t have the sale record either but is much closer in the 690s.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
my place's redfin estimate and zillow estimate are 700k apart

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ntan1 posted:

my place's redfin estimate and zillow estimate are 700k apart
lol and I was going to bring up the $75k spread in mine. Zillow is way higher than Redfin.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Redfin left, zillow right

These systems are stupid

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Redfin left, zillow right

These systems are stupid

...$5M+ for a 5 bedroom house just blows my mind.
In my area that kind of money will buy you an actual, literal, no-kidding castle built by some eccentric weirdo who wanted a giant set of stables and a wine cellar.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Anyway, for content here's a house my real estate agent sent me that on paper meets all our checkmarks:

Listed +20% over market. And yes that's the neighbor's driveway running smack through the property within 2 feet of the house. Very creative photos of the place made it seem like the driveway wasn't there at all. Also note the 8' privacy fence and freshly planted shrubs seem to indicate some drama with the neighbors. We'll pass on that one.

We were looking at an almost 7 acre tract of land, in google maps it looked like a tiny tiny valley about 300 feet wide and 1000 feet long, perfect for growing grapes or a tiny orchard or whatever. There was a 5 acre tract of land behind it that had a house on it, with their driveway/access easement driving right through the center of the property/valley

I was like, well, we could just have their access run along the edge of the valley, and use that for tractor access to the grapes, and that would really open up the property. Looking at it on google maps, looked perfect.

Well, we got out there, basically it was a ravine that was too steep for google maps' terrain smoothing to deal with, that met up with another ravine. Like a greater than 45 degree slope, not a single flat spot of land on the entire property. Also apparently a county road cut through the bottom third of it in a semicircle. Called the guy and apparently it had county water and electrical hookup at another frontage. I was talking to him about the price and he was dead set on getting average price per acre for the land, despite it being totally unbuildable. I tried explaining to him that I'd be interested in paying about half because getting equipment in there to create a pad would cost a fortune, and he went off about how some guys were going to buy the land to grow weed (which is legal there) but then backed out at the last moment, as if weed growers being interested in an unusable piece of land was a positive selling point.

Looking at tax records, looks like some guy bought the land I was looking at + the land behind it with the house on it, built the house on the only flat piece of land on the property (also with a slight view), then subdivided the land and sold the unusable portion at a loss* for $12,000 twenty years ago (about 5 times less than what he's trying to sell it for now) to avoid maintaining it + paying property taxes on it, and kept his right of way through where any future land owner might want to build a house, and this guy bought the land and at this point has probably lost money on the deal, but he's so old he'd literally rather die than try and offload it for market value; boomers gonna boom. Also a forest fire had ripped through one valley over five years prior, so insuring anything built out there is nearly impossible unless you self fund and never fire insure.

Anyways I walked away from that deal for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Zestimates are dumb as gently caress and a constant pain in the rear end. They had our old townhome up around 500k. We bought it for 290 and sold it for 308 because that's what it was worth.