Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i have never felt the need to upgrade from the free version of vital for what it’s worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

watho posted:

i have never felt the need to upgrade from the free version of vital for what it’s worth

I really appreciate your input. Do you use different than the stock wavetables? And, uh, if so do you know where I could find some? I exported a bunch from Waves Codex which I got for free in a magazine promotion this year, and it has been handy to have those in Vital for sure. But I am feeling like I could use some more.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 31, 2021

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
FWIW, if cash is tight, lots of people do the Serum rent to own thing via Splice, it costs about the same. I’ve not used Vital but Serum is frequently the first thing I reach for to dial in a particular sound in my head because the workflow is so easy

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I will probably do that, thanks for the heads-up! I think I'll get plenty of use from Serum and $10 a month is super doable. Still interested to hear thoughts on the two if anyone cares to share.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 31, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Agreed posted:

I really appreciate your input. Do you use different than the stock wavetables? And, uh, if so do you know where I could find some? I exported a bunch from Waves Codex which I got for free in a magazine promotion this year, and it has been handy to have those in Vital for sure. But I am feeling like I could use some more.

May I ask, you never felt a need for Serum or some other wavetables synth with Vital?

i actually moved to vital from serum. i currently tend to stick with the factory wave tables but i also have some miscellaneous ones i’ve collected over the years. like the massive and virus ones

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Oh, cool, can I ask what made you switch or what it is you love more about Vital? If you want to shoot me a PM glad to discuss it that way too, up to you :)

I really like that it has a full third oscillator compared to the subosc in Serum, but I bet there's a lot I am not apprehending.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 31, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the third oscillator and filter is a big part. the way it visualizes modulation is another. i also really like the fact that you can have two different “modifiers” per oscillator. they’re both fantastic synthesizers and it’s for sure worth it to try serum for a month to see which one you prefer

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Agreed posted:

Oh, cool, can I ask what made you switch or what it is you love more about Vital? If you want to shoot me a PM glad to discuss it that way too, up to you :)

I really like that it has a full third oscillator compared to the subosc in Serum, but I bet there's a lot I am not apprehending.

I'd never used Vital until about 15 minutes ago and poo poo, I might buy it if I keep enjoying it.

If I were you, I'd just mess with the free version for a while and see how it shakes out (do that for Serum as well if you haven't already). I used a trial Serum a year or more ago and it was okay, but Vital feels more intuitive to me.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

petit choux posted:

Yo dragqueenofangmar, I went with the Kenton despite it being far more expensive. I blame you.

:evilbuddy:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

After evaluation and reading and listening, and making sounds all (long) weekend, I think I really am going to want both of these synths. After getting into their wavetable editors and how you can mess with the sounds each seems really cool. So I'm using Vital with the $5 sub to unlock unlimited text to Wavetables for at least a month so I can really play with that, and also doing the Splice thing for Serum. If Vital just absorbs me I don't have to continue the Serum plan, but I'll see how I use them for a bit!

Pleased to have found a shitload of resources for each today also. Wavetables, noise, samples etc. and most (?) of it seems to work for both without a bunch of tweaking. And, I watched some videos that clued me in to how to make better use of some of the features of these things. I have said it before but I'm really enjoying this and I'd love to have got into synths long before now :)

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 1, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed posted:

The reality is not everyone can afford to have that attitude man. Lots of reasons people might place some emphasis on spending wisely.

Agreed posted:

After evaluation and reading and listening, and making sounds all (long) weekend, I think I really am going to want both of these synths.

:v:
No one can resist

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Attn - KD and any other Model: Samples owners: there was an OS update for the battery pack they just released which fixed quite a few bugs as well, one of which I asked about in this thread and obviously never found a solution to and if I remember correctly, another poster also said they ran into the same issue, but now “Tracks set to MOUT now also forwards the incoming note data on the AUTO channel from external MIDI controllers to the MIDI OUT port for control of an external device” whereas before, your MIDI controller or MIDI in would only play back the sample that any given track was sent to chromatically, so I would end up setting the track to a single cycle waveform and using a midi keyboard to play what I would want to play using a similar sounding single cycle waveform thing and then sending the midi out after I got the pattern recorded how I wanted it to sound. However, this was pretty wonky because of another bug that they just fixed where “Notes sent from an external MIDI controller were incorrectly transposed +2 octaves” amongst other things like notes and trigs not recording correctly under certain weird and specific conditions like playing notes legato or playing stuff on a synth via the class compliant USB.

Thought I’d post that here since the update makes it sound like it only adds functionality for the battery pack, like showing you how much battery life is left, etc. but also, you can easily use any old power bank as most output at least 5v which is what the M:S and Cycles uses and a USB to AC adapter for 10 bucks or less, I feel like I spent 6 on mine, but here’s one for 10 https://www.amazon.com/MyVolts-Power-Cable-Compatible-Elektron/dp/B07P61RFF5 compared to $59 for the battery/handle thing for the Samples and Cycles, although it does look very nice and seems easier to carry around and set up outside or whatever.

Re: Vital and Serum, both are a lot of fun and useful in their own ways, I’m newer to Vital and only have the free version, but just judging from the presets and the small amount of time I’ve spent messing about with it, Vital seems more unique and capable of really distinct textures compared to Serum which is really nice and almost better in a utilitarian way, which sounds derogatory but I don’t mean it like that, it’s just easy to program if you want a nice, big sounding detuned bass line, or a nice, ‘analog’ sounding mono lead. Vital can also probably do stuff like that, but just judging the synths based on my initial impressions I had of each (although I’ve had Serum for a while now), Vital has a lot of presets that have weird like ROMpler sounding fx sounds that play back sample sequences and weird textured sounds, plus stuff like the ability to do Chipspeech-like text to speech synthesis. I’ll probably upgrade to the paid version of Vital soon, maybe once I’ve paid off the rent to own Arturia Collection I’m paying for via Splice.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 1, 2021

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rutibex posted:

:v:
No one can resist

I didn't want to resist, I want to make weird noises :D My post was premised on asking whether Serum was worth it at $189.99, then Concatenation clued me in to Splice and that made it kind of a no brainer. The context for that reply was being told I'm in the wrong hobby if I worry about spending $150 on stuff I won't use, which honestly doesn't seem super relevant to what I was asking anyway.

I've got a lot less for :10bux:/mo! Splice is doing a cool thing here. It is a hell of a synth. Vital is nuts for free, though.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 1, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Have any of yall heard/experienced anything about how Ableton, Serum, etc. run on the new Mac chips?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I’m told even under Rosetta the mini wrecks the last intel MBPs

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I’m running ableton on an m1 mini and I haven’t really pushed it hard yet but export times are super fast.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

All gear may be poo poo but I worry M Audio is more poo poo than average. Kinda wishing I'd returned my Oxygen Pro 49 within the return window, because they are seriously dragging their feet on a supposed firmware update to fix some issues with it that are bugging me. Pitch and mod wheel don't track correctly and they are aware, can't get an ETA on a fix. I like the keybed and control features a great deal, and the pads aren't bad. Channel after touch is cool having no alternatives. Not all the DAW features work (hard to sync clock for example, midi to it causes issues).

The experience with my Novation LK37 Mk3 keyboard in the same time has had two great updates that added features and it didn't have bugs to begin with. Maybe I'll get one of their SL keyboards when I upgrade eventually, they seem to be doing a pretty good job. I'll be glad if M-Audio steps up and gets a fix out soon, it does feel good to play. Just want it working right.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 2, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

I’m running ableton on an m1 mini and I haven’t really pushed it hard yet but export times are super fast.

I haven't tried it on my M1 lappy yet but Bitwig just released the version 4 beta which is Apple Silicon native. Probably going to buy a mac mini for my studio setup once the next gen comes out.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

All gear may be poo poo but I worry M Audio is more poo poo than average. Kinda wishing I'd returned my Oxygen Pro 49 within the return window, because they are seriously dragging their feet on a supposed firmware update to fix some issues with it that are bugging me. Pitch and mod wheel don't track correctly and they are aware, can't get an ETA on a fix. I like the keybed and control features a great deal, and the pads aren't bad. Channel after touch is cool having no alternatives. Not all the DAW features work (hard to sync clock for example, midi to it causes issues).

The experience with my Novation LK37 Mk3 keyboard in the same time has had two great updates that added features and it didn't have bugs to begin with. Maybe I'll get one of their SL keyboards when I upgrade eventually, they seem to be doing a pretty good job. I'll be glad if M-Audio steps up and gets a fix out soon, it does feel good to play. Just want it working right.

Hmmm, M-Audio dragging their heels on software updates? Why, I never

(Long long history of this)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
My wife gave me $200 for some reason. I'm thinking I might grab an RD-6.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oldstench posted:

huh

I would’ve bought weed and something boudoir-related, in that order. But clearly you’re a smarter goon than I

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ok Comboomer posted:

huh

I would’ve bought weed and something boudoir-related, in that order. But clearly you’re a smarter goon than I

An RD-6 is totally boudoir-related if you're brave enough.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

how good of an emulation is the RD-6? the 606 is probably my favorite of the oldschool drum machines and it’s very underrepresented when it comes to clones and reissues

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

watho posted:

how good of an emulation is the RD-6? the 606 is probably my favorite of the oldschool drum machines and it’s very underrepresented when it comes to clones and reissues

It's not a straight repro - it adds individual outs (somewhat, the outs combine LT/HT), a distortion circuit (similar to the TD-3's), and it adds a clap (a reproduction of the Boss DR-110 Clap Circuit). The cymbals and hats are... a slight bit off to my ears. It's tunable via an internal pot though, and extremely moddable if you have any experience at all with soldering.

Here's a tiny little demo I did with mine about an hour after I got it. It's just the mix output, with the distortion on very slightly, and run through a Lexicon reverb set to "drum plate": https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/660977674537140257/847865767571357766/rd6_1.mp3

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah the hats are definitely a long ways off but aside from that it sounds real good

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m deffo selling this oktatrack so if anyone wants a minty mk2 with original packaging and deck saver dm me, it’s going up on the ‘verb when I make it back to LA

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i super loving want it but there’s no way i can afford it

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

watho posted:

i super loving want it but there’s no way i can afford it

same, also I don't need it and have no idea what I'd do with it

much like all of my gear purchases

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Oldstench posted:

it's a trap. buy her something with it. any anniversaries or birthdays or anything you're forgetting?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Lol, I just started playing with my RD-6 because I guess I want to cover early Big Black and Sisters of Mercy. The random button + a delay with parallel processing makes it so easy that I wonder why I made pages of notes from"The Geometry of Musical Rhythm". Synced with the bass synth and slamming a palm on the random buttons every eight bars is the future of youtube-based streaming.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Vital is Serum improved. Haven’t touched Serum since I got Vital. It improves on it in pretty much every single way. Spend your rent to own on Phaseplant. I owned Serum since its initial release but the price is now too high for the competition it has, though rent to own is a good idea.

Better effects. Proper FM. True dual filters. The main thing Serum has going for it is more commercially available presets, but Vital has a Discord with lots of good stuff being shared.

https://gumroad.com/databroth for wt’s

Also if Surge is not in your installed plugins list get it now.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

before dismissing it, serum does microtonal stuff excellently and always has

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Looked back a ways and didn't see any other clueless newbies asking goons to guide their wallet, so here goes:

tl;dr, I have $400 or so I'd like to throw at a modular or semi-modular system to see if things really "click" with me in advance of taking the plunge into beginning to assemble a Eurorack or something. Looking to do sound exploring and IDM/Ambient kind of stuff.

I love bleep bloops. I love robot farts. I love knobs and buttons and gadgets. For two goddamn decades I've been saying "oh I'll get into electronic music sometime." But I kept bouncing off the DAWs I would download and fiddle with a bit in the early 00's. The interfaces just didn't interest me.

Recently, finally, I got an itch. I picked up a cheap secondhand Arturia Beatmaster. Started playing around with that, but it wasn't the self-contained experience I thought it was (thanks, YouTube). So I picked up a Pocket Operator. And another. And another. And I know there's something here and it's really exciting to be able to build this little musical ecosystem.

Then I downloaded VCV Rack, and I realize I'm likely hosed now. This janky amazing switchboard poo poo is what I've been after. I've sunk a dozen hours or so into it over the past week and I'm only getting more excited, so I'm ready to give it a shot.

I can justify throwing like $400 at this to see if I stick with it (can go higher -- maaaybe $600ish if there's something truly mindblowing there). Eurorack (or another rack system, I haven't looked into the others much) seems like where I'll eventually end up. But I'm an indecisive kid in a really, REALLY expensive candy store, so something relatively self-contained might be a good idea to start with and build out from. Sequencers are my most likely workflow as I never learned keys, but the Beatmaster has me covered there. But I'm not averse to something with keys if it ends up being a better buy, or to picking up multiple items. And I don't need visualization since I have an (OLD) oscilloscope hooked into my hifi system.

So yeah. What do? I'm really new to the manufacturers (other than, like, Yamaha for my stereo receiver) so I'm not sure where to start exactly. The Crave looked pretty good for the price ($200 at Sweetwater), but I don't want to cheap out and regret it if I could get more bang for my buck by spending more.

Edit: Also worth noting that while I'm not terribly good at it, I do have a soldering station and an itch for a project for it, so some DIY isn't entirely out of the question -- but I wouldn't want to meticulously solder together like 6 different boards as my intro to the hobby. Might leave a bad taste in my mouth/lungs/braincage.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 4, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Lol, I just started playing with my RD-6 because I guess I want to cover early Big Black and Sisters of Mercy. The random button + a delay with parallel processing makes it so easy that I wonder why I made pages of notes from"The Geometry of Musical Rhythm". Synced with the bass synth and slamming a palm on the random buttons every eight bars is the future of youtube-based streaming.

Have you got a sickness sweet as a love note now?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Machines can and probably do already make better music than humans. In fact, if we can get these humans out of the way the sky is the limit.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
$400 isn't a whole lot for getting into modular, you'll likely be better off going semi-modular. For eurorack, you'd probably have to spend a third or half of that just on the case and power supply (and that'd still probably leave you with a smaller case than you'll want), and I don't know how you'd make a functional system with the remainder. The non-eurorack modular systems only get more expensive and harder to find.

That's also still not a ton for a semi-modular, but there are some options, especially if you don't mind going used. I'd look at the Behringer Crave or Neutron, the Moog Mother-32, and probably the Make Noise 0-coast (the last two might be out of the price range even used)--just look them up on youtube and you should find several examples of them being used as well as deeper walkthroughs of their features.

You could probably find a used Minibrute 2 for under $400--I have a 2S myself and while I don't super care for the sound (particularly the filter), it does have a full patch bay and a lot of flexibility, and with the 2S a pretty powerful sequencer.

The Korg MS-20 mini is also pretty fun and was my entry to semi-modular, but be warned that it's not directly compatible with eurorack systems--it uses hz/volt standard instead of eurorack's volt/octave standard. There's also a recent Behringer knock-off of the MS-20, the K-2, with the same compatibility caveat.

The Behringer 2600 is likely out of budget and too new to easily find used, but might be worth a look as well.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

What electronic instruments were used to make A Bell is a Cup Until it is Struck?

Those good old boys seemed so far ahead of their time to me back then.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 4, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a karp odyssey without a keyboard is around that much, does plenty of basic analog synth functions and has gate/trigger and cv in and out. if you do decide to spend a ton of money on a modular setup it makes a pretty good "synth voice". before doing the modular semimodular thing though think about how loving cool and useful patch storage is and how much more cost effective softsynths are. if you just need knobs to play with, there are cheaper options available that are real satisfying to just play and a virtual analog synth or any kind of digital synth with a good patch/mod scheme is largely equivalent in function to a sizeable modular setup

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

Have any of yall heard/experienced anything about how Ableton, Serum, etc. run on the new Mac chips?

Pigments gets a little weird/slow sometimes, but I've had no issues with Ableton or Vital. Worst problem I've had is with the 828es, if the computer goes to sleep it'll cause a kernel panic, even with Motu's updated drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Looked back a ways and didn't see any other clueless newbies asking goons to guide their wallet, so here goes:

tl;dr, I have $400 or so I'd like to throw at a modular or semi-modular system to see if things really "click" with me in advance of taking the plunge into beginning to assemble a Eurorack or something. Looking to do sound exploring and IDM/Ambient kind of stuff.

I love bleep bloops. I love robot farts. I love knobs and buttons and gadgets. For two goddamn decades I've been saying "oh I'll get into electronic music sometime." But I kept bouncing off the DAWs I would download and fiddle with a bit in the early 00's. The interfaces just didn't interest me.

Recently, finally, I got an itch. I picked up a cheap secondhand Arturia Beatmaster. Started playing around with that, but it wasn't the self-contained experience I thought it was (thanks, YouTube). So I picked up a Pocket Operator. And another. And another. And I know there's something here and it's really exciting to be able to build this little musical ecosystem.

Then I downloaded VCV Rack, and I realize I'm likely hosed now. This janky amazing switchboard poo poo is what I've been after. I've sunk a dozen hours or so into it over the past week and I'm only getting more excited, so I'm ready to give it a shot.

I can justify throwing like $400 at this to see if I stick with it (can go higher -- maaaybe $600ish if there's something truly mindblowing there). Eurorack (or another rack system, I haven't looked into the others much) seems like where I'll eventually end up. But I'm an indecisive kid in a really, REALLY expensive candy store, so something relatively self-contained might be a good idea to start with and build out from. Sequencers are my most likely workflow as I never learned keys, but the Beatmaster has me covered there. But I'm not averse to something with keys if it ends up being a better buy, or to picking up multiple items. And I don't need visualization since I have an (OLD) oscilloscope hooked into my hifi system.

So yeah. What do? I'm really new to the manufacturers (other than, like, Yamaha for my stereo receiver) so I'm not sure where to start exactly. The Crave looked pretty good for the price ($200 at Sweetwater), but I don't want to cheap out and regret it if I could get more bang for my buck by spending more.

Edit: Also worth noting that while I'm not terribly good at it, I do have a soldering station and an itch for a project for it, so some DIY isn't entirely out of the question -- but I wouldn't want to meticulously solder together like 6 different boards as my intro to the hobby. Might leave a bad taste in my mouth/lungs/braincage.

For your price range get a Erica Synths Pico system 3.

Just know that if you don't have at least 3000$ to throw at it over the next 2 years, it's probably better not to get into eurorack. It's expensive, way more expensive than desktop synths