Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Seems to be a big patch to the game on Steam this morning, but no news update. Anyone know what's up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Maybe it's the dlss support.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s been playing super stuttery for me since the expedition finished, so hopefully it fixes that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe it's the dlss support.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1400074728249909248

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh the new Space station interior back. I was literally thinking yesterday how that’s basically been the same since day one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gasp

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Damnit Sean I've got too much going on right now, why must you tempt me to get back into NMS again? Those shots are so pretty.

Also I still legit don't understand how they've managed to keep releasing free updates for this for almost five years. Sales of the game itself can't possibly be covering it any more. Does Hello Games just sell/license their proc gen engine to other companies or something?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
From my amazingly intact AI farm to jumping around looking at new pretty things this game remains fairly stable... outside of expedition mode where it suddenly develops a case of the crashies.

Thundarr posted:

Also I still legit don't understand how they've managed to keep releasing free updates for this for almost five years. Sales of the game itself can't possibly be covering it any more. Does Hello Games just sell/license their proc gen engine to other companies or something?

I'd imagine Gamepass money is good. Also, yes, they keep pulling people in. Multiplayer keeps people doing stuff I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

When they do a new expedition, will it need a new save again, start from zero, etc?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

When they do a new expedition, will it need a new save again, start from zero, etc?

Yeah. Previous expedition rewards can be claimed in the nexus but each expedition is its own fresh start

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

Damnit Sean I've got too much going on right now, why must you tempt me to get back into NMS again? Those shots are so pretty.

I feel like they took the money they made from selling the game and then made the game they wanted to make in the first place before the hype machine made them shove it out the door early.

That's not a diss; most companies would have just taken the money and ran. This is how you can tell this really was a passion project for them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wish I'd put a base or something somewhere near all those activated indium farms set up near the start of the last expedition. I can't find any of them again and I'm broke :arghfist::(

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I can’t find the dlss option unless it hasn’t been added yet?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there any way to find cool-looking and interesting planets with good regularity besides getting very far into the game to activate the stargates and using the player codes to get to ones other people have found? I stopped playing last time because I wanted to find a really cool planet before I started base-building and it was really tedious scouring every system for the Bountiful (or whatever it was called) tag.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
its a exploration game

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, you can go to whatever the mapping website is that catalogs planets and systems and find a planet that way, and then just input the cords and find a spot.

That being said, having cheated myself an exotic starship a year or two ago, having what you want fall into your lap does drain the fun out of it.

You do you homie

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tabletops posted:

I can’t find the dlss option unless it hasn’t been added yet?

Should be under anti-aliasing options.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I won't judge either way it's just, you know, exploring in the exploration game. Something something. Gonna load up tonight I suspect. Didn't look like it patched on PS5 yet earlier.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I am totally missing what's being gasped at, here. :confused:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Origami Dali posted:

Should be under anti-aliasing options.

oh, woops didn't think it'd be under that. ty!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pierson posted:

Is there any way to find cool-looking and interesting planets with good regularity besides getting very far into the game to activate the stargates and using the player codes to get to ones other people have found? I stopped playing last time because I wanted to find a really cool planet before I started base-building and it was really tedious scouring every system for the Bountiful (or whatever it was called) tag.
go to Lush galaxy if you're after that kind of planets - fastest way to do that is to finish the main quest starting with 'meeting' Artemis and picking Lush option at the end which actually still takes a lot of time

eh... it's probably easier to simply explore more

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 2, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DelphiAegis posted:

I am totally missing what's being gasped at, here. :confused:
you can unlock blueprints with nanites now - at Anomaly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, glad I can do less of that abandoned building hoo-hah or whatever it used to be to get those

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
is there a way to summon one of your other ships to a station? I found a squid ship docked but i'm in my most outfitted ship and I don't wanna exchange it but that seems to be my only option :(

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 2, 2021

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tabletops posted:

is there a way to summon one of your other ships to a station? I found a squid ship docked but i'm in my most outfitted ship and I don't wanna exchange it but that seems to be my only option :(

Afraid not. Systems always have the same ships so you could go away, switch ships, and hope you don't have to wait too long for another to spawn. I think they spawn more often in rich economy systems.

Also, holy poo poo this game looks so pretty on PS5 with this new update, I love how stations look now.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does anyone want the star/portal coordinates for a experimental S class pistol? are these types of things even sought after anymore since you can just upgrade them at the station

edit: i should mention that the station itself specifically has a S class locker on it and one of the planets has the experimental pistol in it's mt pool

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 3, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Why not? I'd hop across a few hundred thousand star systems just for an alien gun.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

forest spirit posted:

Why not? I'd hop across a few hundred thousand star systems just for an alien gun.

I found one the other day but it was class c and I ended up getting rid of it RIP

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I am very curious about what a station override unit does.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I wish I'd put a base or something somewhere near all those activated indium farms set up near the start of the last expedition. I can't find any of them again and I'm broke :arghfist::(

I am happy to get you set up with mine once I start this new galaxy tomorrow

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone have mod suggestions? Mostly looking for Quality of Life stuff. I used to have some a while back but I'm not sure which ones are redundant now

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
It'd be cool if you could tell after the fact where you found a particular multitool, because the one I have is p.cool and it'd be nice to share.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Agoat posted:

I am happy to get you set up with mine once I start this new galaxy tomorrow

Appreciate the offer. I just started acquiring glyphs from the Artemis story, so I should be able to bum myself to riches on the coordinate exchange somewhere, I imagine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone else get what seems like asset-loading stutter when moving around on a planet? Turning around, walking, flying, and especially entering & exiting orbit all produce it. Framerate's silky-smooth otherwise., then it'll just pause for a quarter of a second then be silky smooth again.

(It's been like this since before the latest updates. I think it's an unsolvable "game's written weird" problem. Annoys me, though - NVME SSD and overspec video card not good enough? :mad:)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Appreciate the offer. I just started acquiring glyphs from the Artemis story, so I should be able to bum myself to riches on the coordinate exchange somewhere, I imagine

It's up to you! Honestly I like making setups that benefit other players, but whatever is most convenient for you :)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m debating wether to but this on steam, or just play it with my xbox pc game pass.

I want to play it in VR, and I know VR can be more of an issue with xbox game pass titles.

Also, I might end up playing this game for longer than I want to continue my xbox game pass sub. And the game doesnt have cloud saving between the two platforms.

Should I just buy it on Steam? Its $30 really a sale price?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ChocNitty posted:

I’m debating wether to but this on steam, or just play it with my xbox pc game pass.

I want to play it in VR, and I know VR can be more of an issue with xbox game pass titles.

Also, I might end up playing this game for longer than I want to continue my xbox game pass sub. And the game doesnt have cloud saving between the two platforms.

Should I just buy it on Steam? Its $30 really a sale price?

Why don't you try it for a bit on game pass and see if you like it enough to spend the money?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so if I get to a new galaxy, then teleport back to a base in Euclid without first setting up a base & teleporter on the far side, do I have any way to get back besides the usual method again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

It'd be cool if you could tell after the fact where you found a particular multitool, because the one I have is p.cool and it'd be nice to share.

There's a feature I didn't know I needed. It would be great if they added the portal code in some place you can inspect on multitools and ships.

Ciaphas posted:

so if I get to a new galaxy, then teleport back to a base in Euclid without first setting up a base & teleporter on the far side, do I have any way to get back besides the usual method again?

Did you visit a space station at least? It would be in your list still if you did.