Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My wife and I played our first game of Tiny Epic Pirates the other day and I really enjoyed it. It's a lot to learn upfront, but once you get the hang of the different options and learn the symbols it turns in to a pretty interesting efficiency puzzle.
When you set up the game each person randomizes the order their different actions are available, and the game gives you ways to skip actions to get to the ones you want, but it costs you the use of your crew members that could be doing other things like giving you extra movement or bonuses in combat. You end up having to plan a few turns at a time so you spend resources right and get the most out your regular actions and bonus actions from Captain and Crew cards. It's nothing ground breaking, but for a Tiny Epic game I thought it was good, and only lasts an hour or so, so it doesn't drag on too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Had a 4p game of Cosmic Frog last night which was fun, but surprisingly less chaotic and random than I'd been assuming based on what I'd heard/read about the game. It felt like quite a weird mix of quite a few turns that were quite procedural and deterministic, where your frog is just hopping around gobbling up land or disgorging it into their vault, and turns where someone was vulnerable and you'd jump on their head and have wildly swingy dice combat that could result in anything from nothing happening, to stealing a good portion of their land and knocking them to the far reaches of outer space. I had a good time, but it's not something I'd be dying to play again. The fact that the dice combat is so swingy and you potentially only roll a relatively small handful of times over the course of the game meant a few of us came away feeling like too much could end up revolving around these pivotal moments and big swings of fate. As a result, you could easily lose 2-3 or more turns of taking procedural, deterministic actions with a single attack. This might seem like it is then not worth taking those more guaranteed actions, but if nobody does them, then there would be no value in the more random attack actions either. Maybe this all comes together better with repeat plays and I suspect it does as a lot of people seem to really enjoy it, but it didn't totally land for me.

We then had another 4p game of Stationfall (I've played about 7 times in the last week) which is yet to disappoint. This was a rather weird play as almost nobody achieved any of their objectives (the best score was 3 when typical winning scores tend to be 8+) due to the Daredevil character setting the ship to self-destruct on turn 3. Their plan had been to get a jetpack and a helmet and escape off the station that way, which would have worked if the doctor hadn't thrown the jetpack out the airlock and the mechanic smashed the machine that prints helmets the turn after they triggered self-destruct. The rest of the game devolved into everyone working out if there was a way to get the antimatter (which is what causes self destruct to destroy the station) off the station in the 4-turn time limit, or if they could get any of their characters off the station before it exploded, the answer to which was no in both cases.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

curious if you two prioritize initiative over all else of if that's just a meta we've fallen into? game seems really tightly balanced all things considered.

Typically, yes.

I’ve found that the quicker you force someone into a more defensive strategy, the better. It’s a delicate balance though because they can easily cut you off with a good draw.

But like you said, it’s very balanced. We’ve encountered countless scenarios and seen each play out both ways so you really have to carve out a nice strategy while remaining fairly flexible.

Watergate was our pandemic go to and it’s pretty much a must own IMO for anyone who plays a lot of 2 player games.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

The Eyes Have It posted:

We started playing Pandemic Legacy Season 0 and it's really well done. It's both similar enough to Pandemic Legacies that if you liked them (and we did) you'll like this, but the whole design feel considerably more smooth and tightened up, and the gameplay and structure is also different -- in a good way.

The adaptation of the basic elements of Pandemic Legacy to height-of-the-cold-war espionage works pretty well. And it's kind of neat that objectives no longer carry over; they are now all one-and-done for every month. Don't know what it'll be like as we progress, but it's kind of nice that it feels like there is a lot less to keep track of and manage components and setup-wise than there was in Season 2.

And choosing portraits and layering accessories stickers to build passport photos & disguises might be purely for fun and has no game impact, but it's honestly is pretty fun to do.

We also just played our first 3 games last night, and the aesthetic is truly great. All of the components have really been refined and have a great feel.

However, we played 3 games (Prologue and 2 games in January) and the objectives seemed almost insurmountable, to the point where we literally thought we were missing rules/doing something wrong. It also didn't help that in January we had some really bad card pulls that resulted in 2 characters losing 2 cover each in the first round and there was literally nothing we could have done to prevent it. In the prologue we didn't even come close to finishing an objective, and the first game in January we were one turn from completing one objective before losing. The upgrades we got from the first January game helped us to complete both objectives in the second game, but it left us wondering if winning the prologue/first January
is just a complete improbability or we are doing something wrong.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It was close at times but we played the prologue twice and January now and succeeded at all so far. We're both pretty experienced Pandemic players though. One of us is the faster thinker, and one of us is really good at remembering what has or hadn't come up yet.

We've gotten card pulls that incident a city multiple times, so far those are serious setbacks but hasn't sunk us.

Because it's Pandemic, we are always mindful of what is or isn't in the threat deck, and when the last intensify/reshuffle has been. Sometimes the difference between disaster and success has been the choice to remove an agent from city X instead of city Y (because Y was recently drawn and therefore won't come out, but X is still in there.) We also aggressively work to share research/Intel. Getting something out just a turn earlier can make a big difference.

Also because it's Pandemic, we like everyone else occasionally get two epidemic/escalation cards very close to each other (or, rarely, right after each other) but that also has a silver lining. Because of how the decks are constructed that also means the players have benefited from having had a long length "dry spell" before the first epidemic/escalation, followed by knowing there's now a long dry spell guaranteed to happen after the second one. That can be very useful knowledge.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 2, 2021

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

The Eyes Have It posted:

It was close at times but we played the prologue twice and January now and succeeded at all so far. We're both pretty experienced Pandemic players though. One of us is the faster thinker, and one of us is really good at remembering what has or hadn't come up yet.

We've gotten card pulls that incident a city multiple times, so far those are serious setbacks but hasn't sunk us.

Because it's Pandemic, we are always mindful of what is or isn't in the threat deck, and when the last intensify/reshuffle has been. Sometimes the difference between disaster and success has been the choice to remove an agent from city X instead of city Y (because Y was recently drawn and therefore won't come out, but X is still in there.) We also aggressively work to share research/Intel. Getting something out just a turn earlier can make a big difference.

Also because it's Pandemic, we like everyone else occasionally get two epidemic/escalation cards very close to each other (or, rarely, right after each other) but that also has a silver lining. Because of how the decks are constructed that also means the players have benefited from having had a long length "dry spell" before the first epidemic/escalation, followed by knowing there's now a long dry spell guaranteed to happen after the second one. That can be very useful knowledge.

Yeah, we are also pretty experienced Pandemic players (we just finished S2 last week) and it still seemed overly difficult. Outfitting someone with the upgrade that lets you see the next two cards of the threat deck was a HUGE advantage in our second January game, as well as us being more aggressive about keeping agent population down, which gave us the longevity we needed to get enough card in circulation to finish the objectives. I think we ended up only have 2 incidents happen in that game. I am more than willing to accept that we are not missing anything and that it's just hard.

We are also lucky enough that through S1 and 2 we never got the dreaded double epidemic. *knock on wood*

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think you're right that it is hard overall. I was kind of expecting the first couple games to be learn-the-rules softballs but we had to come out swinging.

Also, can't say for sure yet but I feel like the subtly different handling of objectives seems built with more than just "win = good, lose = repeat the month" in mind.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Does anyone know anything about this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/954412004/mosaic-a-story-of-civilization

It looks up my alley but honestly it almost appears too similar to something like Clash of Cultures or New Dawn. And seeing Rahdo compare it to Terraforming Mars...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, that definitely looks like Glenn Drover does TfM. That doesn't mean it'll be bad, but those are both hurdles to overcome IMO.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maybe they could have used a different set of words after the main title though...

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

!Klams posted:

Ahhh, that's really interesting. I've always had a tough time getting Starcraft to the table because we always leave it so long between plays and all everyone remembers is the big rules overhead. (And not the rules.)

I kept it, because the BW expansion always looked so cool to me, and because there is so little out there like it.

I was really stoked about Forbidden Stars coming out coz I'm always looking for games where you build up armies and bases where your armies are totally asymmetric.

I was gutted to find out then that it was a starcraft reskin, but you reckon they're different enough to warrant both, which makes me wonder if maybe FS is the one for us? I'm kind of keen to sell SC, not so much for cash or space, but just because I suspect it's probably someone's grail game and I'm just here hoarding it.

FS and Starcraft do play very similarly.

The differences, apart from FS being half as long to play, are mostly in the battles. SC focusses on unit variety and making sure you build for matchups. FS builds counter play into the combat cards rather than units.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, that definitely looks like Glenn Drover does TfM. That doesn't mean it'll be bad, but those are both hurdles to overcome IMO.

What's the problem with Glenn Drover? I only know him from Empires Age of Discovery (and Railways of the World which probably doesn't count for much since it's basically a Martin Wallace design I think) which I really enjoy mechanically while thematically it's a bit of a nightmare. I can see he has some pretty bad design credits as well - is it just that he's hit and miss?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Just had my first teaching game of Oath with my group and... drat, it's good. Like, really, really good. Came down to the wire in the 8th and final round and each player had a chance to win at the end of their turn before the Chancellor wound up with the win in the end.

Next session is already planned. This one will have legs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What player count? Using the guided setup?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Four. And yes.

The guided setup is EXTREMELY effective. All of my players loved it and we immediately scheduled a followup game for next week.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
God drat. All this oath talk is really making me hope it ships soon .

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
To continue the Cole chat, I had a game day recently and managed to get my first group game of Pax Pamir played. It was with a full 5 players so things were fairly hectic but there was a shocking lack of people changing loyalty. We started with 2 Afghan players, 2 Russians and 1 Brit and it stayed like that to the very end. The build up to the first dominance check was very much learning how to pull levers and what they do, when it came around the powers were deadlocked leading to only one person getting points for cylinders. After that the Afghans rallied and we took a decisive power lead by constantly chipping away at our opponents blocks and when the next dominance check came around I had the most loyalty and took the lead. The board clear left things up in the air somewhat and the third dominance check came around pretty quickly. With no chance to gain a strong military foothold I played a card to get tribes on the board which also let me trim down my court, I dumped a card with several enemy spies on it, sending them back to their board instead of the safehouse, giving me the cylinder lead and the eventual victory. I worried at first my group would find it slow but they got invested and even if it did take longer than expected I think it went down very well. I definitely messed up a few rules (careless end of turn clean up, some missed bribes, nothing major though) but I think it will make it to the table again soon enough.

We also played some Quacks and for all its justifiable criticisms it was a roaring success, especially after a bunch of drinks. We did the simultaneous draw thing in every round not just the last one which slowed things down but made explosions even funnier. I'm not sure if I'd do it again or if I'd do individual draws to speed it up but still. £30 for the big box seems like a bargain because I imagine it will see a lot of play time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can't get into Mage Knight solo no matter how much I try, and I'm mostly trying because a friend bought it for me. Spirit Island is one of my favorite solo games, and I can see why people make the comparison between it and Mage Knight. Both have semi-perfect knowledge of what the game is trying to do to stop me, and let me strategize over how to play the cards in my hand to make the best of a bad situation. Both have me starting off weaker than the enemies and give me the tools I need to outpace them as long as I play smart. But Mage Knight is so flavorless. It's like if every Spirit started with a handful of cards that simply did one basic game action, like deal 1 damage (2 damage if you have a fire element) or defend 2 in a land (defend 3 if you have an earth element). And the upgraded cards don't add that much excitement.

I can see why people like it; it's pure Game. No concessions to a theme to dilute the gameplay, just cards to play and a thin layer of lore because it had to have something, and whether it was generic fantasy or Star Trek didn't matter. Mage Knight is close to a board game roguelike, which sounds amazing. I thought for sure I'd like a game with an expanding map to explore, permadeath, and a focus on mechanics over story. I could see playing it more if it didn't take up so much table space and have so many fiddly components, rules, and exceptions for every rule. But everything it does, Spirit Island does better for me, personally.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
MK is very good and was maybe my favorite game for a number of years but it does feel like Spirit Island has at this point taken its crown. Just about everything MK does, SI does in a more streamlined way.

I will say that the real powerhouses of Mage Knight are your units, artifacts and spells - the combos involved there (and the planning involved to make those combos happen) are where stuff really goes off. And the combos you get there are more involved and intricate than anything you'll pull off in a game of spirit island with less than three people in it. It really rewards playing as multiple different mages because the differences between them don't feel so stark at first but actually become quite large given time.

Also play your solo games on the really well done VASSAL mod or TTS. Setting that up every time is going to give you RSI

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 3, 2021

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

No concessions to a theme to dilute the gameplay, just cards to play and a thin layer of lore because it had to have something, and whether it was generic fantasy or Star Trek didn't matter.

I don't agree with this. The way wounds work to slow you down, especially via poison, is thematic, as is Arythea's ability to do blood magic from her own wounds. Monsters' attacks and defenses thematically with the lore. You enter the game as a potential savior as far as the people of that land are concerned, but that changes after you torch some of their monasteries for their treasures. It's approximately as thematic as Dungeon Petz.

Is it as thematic as Spirit Island? I don't know how anyone could say it's close to Spirit Island's mechanical-thematic integration, but then again, what is?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redundant posted:

We also played some Quacks and for all its justifiable criticisms it was a roaring success, especially after a bunch of drinks. We did the simultaneous draw thing in every round not just the last one which slowed things down but made explosions even funnier. I'm not sure if I'd do it again or if I'd do individual draws to speed it up but still. £30 for the big box seems like a bargain because I imagine it will see a lot of play time.

So I think simultaneous draws is quite important in Quacks as you need to know when you can stop. With the exception of the bag of bird skulls that means you're going to be fannying around for ages, then you can crack on yourself.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

My wall of shame, the games I own that I have not learned how to play:

Gaia Project
Sideral Confluence
Antike
Earth Reborn
Puerto Rico
La Citta
Merchants and Marauders
Dungeon Lords
Mice and Mystics

Which should I learn to play first, which should be last

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Street Horrrsing posted:

Gaia Project
Sideral Confluence
Antike
Earth Reborn
Puerto Rico
La Citta
Merchants and Marauders
Dungeon Lords
Mice and Mystics

I'm biased so Lords first, Mice last.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
On one hand, Mice and Mystics is very easy to learn because it's puddle-deep and mostly serves as a gateway game to actually good ones like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.

On the other hand, it's puddle-deep and mostly serves as a gateway game to actually good ones like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Exactly.

I mean when it comes down to it, it really depends on who you've got to play with and what you actually want to get going.

Tight punishing euro: Dungeon Lords
Wider, full of competitive depth euro: Gaia Project
Go around and do random stuff: M&M
Shout at a bunch of people: Sidereal
Classic euro: PR
2p skirmish: Earth Reborn
Haven't played but Gerdtz classic rondel: Antike
no idea: La Citta
Super light roleplaying campaign thingie: the other M&M

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Gaia Project
Sideral Confluence
Antike
Earth Reborn
Puerto Rico
La Citta
Merchants and Marauders
Dungeon Lords
Mice and Mystics

Dungeon Lords or Earth Reborn first (though Earth Reborn has a kind of "tutorial" series of scenarios and it doesn't really shine until the 3rd scenario or so, but then holy cow, that game is amazing).

Puerto Rico is really not great by several modern standards (weird importance of seat position, optimal strategy pretty solved by now, unpleasant imperialism theme), so I would put that last. Of classic Euros, it's the one I would vote off the island second after Catan.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
On that list I would say SidCon is both a great game and offers the most unique gaming experience so start there. It already has enough hurdles for getting it to the table, might as well take "don't know the rules" off that list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

girl dick energy posted:

On one hand, Mice and Mystics is very easy to learn because it's puddle-deep and mostly serves as a gateway game to actually good ones like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.

On the other hand, it's puddle-deep and mostly serves as a gateway game to actually good ones like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.

Given that argument, I'd play Mice and Mystics first because if you don't play it first, you never will.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

Given that argument, I'd play Mice and Mystics first because if you don't play it first, you never will.
Keep it on the shelf for when your friends start having kids?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Running my first Oath game today, hyped as hell. Expect most folks to come having read the rules or at least having watched a video. We're starting with five players--although I'm nervous 'cause the book seems to stress only starting with three / four.

I figure I'll do the quickstart setup with myself as the last player not getting a guided start? Anyone with more experience want to chime in if I'm doomed to failure with five?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Street Horrrsing posted:

Gaia Project
Sideral Confluence
Antike
Earth Reborn
Puerto Rico
La Citta
Merchants and Marauders
Dungeon Lords
Mice and Mystics

If you're familiar with Terra Mystica, learning GP will be straightforward

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

tokenbrownguy posted:

Running my first Oath game today, hyped as hell. Expect most folks to come having read the rules or at least having watched a video. We're starting with five players--although I'm nervous 'cause the book seems to stress only starting with three / four.

I figure I'll do the quickstart setup with myself as the last player not getting a guided start? Anyone with more experience want to chime in if I'm doomed to failure with five?

Nah it'll be fine. Hopefully your group is used to heavy-ish games that take a few hours to play. There's nothing inherently chaotic about adding the fifth player (unlike, I would argue, Root) it just makes everything that much slower.

Make sure when you draw cards for yourself before you finish the guided walkthrough (just your starting Advisor, iirc) you draw from the bottom of the world deck, because the deck is stacked for the walkthrough to work.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah they're all veterans of poo poo like Pax Pamir, Root, Scythe, etc. Thanks for the reassurance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

girl dick energy posted:

Keep it on the shelf for when your friends start having kids?

Personally I need the shelf space. If it ain't getting play, it can get on its way.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I decided to buy the Japanese version of 'Piece o' Cake' because it sounded life a game my playgroup might like, and also I didn't want to give Bezier Games money to get New York Slice (which despite their MO is actually licensed from the designer). In doing so, I discovered many things.

1: Amazon Japan will send stuff to America.
2: Apparently you can get something shipped from Japan to New England some 6600 miles away, order it on Sunday and get it Wednesday for the equivalent of $15? I don't get it.
3: It's so wee!
4: Google Lens is seriously amazing. At some point it became the future already.
5: The only English on the box is the Bezier Games logo, so womp womp on my personal vendetta.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Thanks for the feedback. I actually do have two children under the age of ten, so it might be the perfect time to break out the mice and mystics. I have terra mystica on the iPad so learning that, then gaia project doesn't sound like much of a stretch. The first 'real' game to learn on the list is Dungeon Lords. Maybe antike

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Street Horrrsing posted:

Gaia Project
Sideral Confluence
Antike
Earth Reborn
Puerto Rico
La Citta
Merchants and Marauders
Dungeon Lords
Mice and Mystics

Sideral, Gaia, and then sell the rest. These games are on your shelf for a reason.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

nordichammer posted:

Sideral, Gaia, and then sell the rest. These games are on your shelf for a reason.

:agree:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nordichammer posted:

I would try Antike and DLords as well because they're both unique and really solid (and among some peoples top games) but agree overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I would try Antike and DLords as well because they're both unique and really solid (and among some peoples top games) but agree overall.

Yeah, I'm on this side, despite loving lords a lot. Entirely possible you'll not like it, just, worth trying since it's not like most other games.