Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's a Tartakovsky series so yeah there are extended silent sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The first two seasons of Tartakovsky Clone Wars were 3-4 minute shorts and have little dialogue, with a bunch of the shorts having none at all. The episodes from the final season are like 10-12 minutes each, and do have a bit of talking in some of them.

They’re all good and worth watching, since all three seasons combined are all of 2 hours.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Is there voice acting in the 2D series or is it mostly just a series of action scenes? And if there is, how is it?

Volume 1 is 20 shorts presented as one long feature. There is VA work. But it's pretty sparse. Volume 2 is 5 more normal length episodes presented as an ongoing story, it has VA work in quantity on par with the modern clone wars stuff.

A lot of the actors are the ones that went on to be in later stuff, like Tom Kane as Yoda, JAT as Obi-Wan, etc.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jivjov posted:

Ventress originated in the old 2D show, plus Obi-Wan's most iconic war-time look of armor-over-robes. Durge is also slated to turn back up in some comics pretty soon, so that's neat.

Both "volumes" of the show back-to-back are about the length of one theatrical film, so its absolutely worth a watch for the moderate time investment it demands.

Obi-Wan's look was so rad. Gives off that monastery knight look. All my characters in Old Republic jedi and sith copied it, it was so dope.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

It's a Tartakovsky series so yeah there are extended silent sections.

The one where Mace Windu obliterates an entire army while flying around Matrix style would have been ruined with anyone saying anything.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sash! posted:

The one where Mace Windu obliterates an entire army while flying around Matrix style would have been ruined with anyone saying anything.

"I want you to go into that machine and find my lightsaber."
"What does it look like?"
"It's the one that says Bad Motherfucker."
*yeets SBD through the machine*

*sips kid's water*
"Mmmm! Goddamn! This is some serious gourmet poo poo! Usually, me and the clones would be happy with some freeze-dried Jettster's Choice right, but you spring this serious GOURMET poo poo on us! What flavor is this?"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
As soon as I heard they were heading for Corellia, I was afraid we were going to meet a very young Han Solo. I don't think I've ever been happier to see the Martez sisters instead.

Otherwise, great episode, loved the world-building (as in "whatever happened to all those battle droids?"). Any bets on who the Martez' contact is? Probably someone like Bail Organa, but knowing Filoni, that would be too much of a copy of Rebels.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Any bets on who the Martez' contact is? Probably someone like Bail Organa, but knowing Filoni, that would be too much of a copy of Rebels.

My money's on Ahsoka. After all, they have a pre-existing relationship.

(spoilers for future episodes) Also hasn't it been confirmed we'll see Ahsoka and Rex at some point this season?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Caught the episode, I wasn't sold on the Martez sisters in their clone wars arc, but this episode was really fun! In fact, I'd say that so far Bad Batch is a fun show! Still waiting for them to really hit the feels, but each episode has some nice action, good character dialogue, fun interactions. The battle in this episode with all the ladders and walk ways was really cool. I love the atmosphere/aesthetic stuff like the police droids speaking the robotic huttese, and the factory looked really great.

The contact at the end is clearly Rex, because he would know about the tactical droids and would want to know about more rogue clones, right?

Also looks like we are really keeping CID around as the random quest giver but she's a great character! All her dialogue is gold.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 4, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jerkface posted:

The contact at the end is clearly Rex, because he would know about the tactical droids and would want to know about more rogue clones, right?

Duh. Of course. Makes sense.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jerkface posted:

I think almost any of the regular characters from Clone Wars would know of a tactical droid, as they weren’t much of a secret and showed up regularly. Since we’ve already seen Saw earlier in the show, I’d say that Rex, Ahsoka, or Bail are the most likely options of someone who needs info to fight back, but really anyone who winds up against the Empire down the line could be a choice.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

fartknocker posted:

I think almost any of the regular characters from Clone Wars would know of a tactical droid, as they weren’t much of a secret and showed up regularly. Since we’ve already seen Saw earlier in the show, I’d say that Rex, Ahsoka, or Bail are the most likely options of someone who needs info to fight back, but really anyone who winds up against the Empire down the line could be a choice.

It's highly probable Rex and Ahsoka are still travelling and working together this soon after the formation of the Empire, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jassa posted:

It's highly probable Rex and Ahsoka are still travelling and working together this soon after the formation of the Empire, right?

Maybe, but given that, in Rebels, it seemed like it had been a while since Rex and Ahsoka had seen each other, I just assumed they had gone their separate ways immediately to stay under the radar. But I guess it's possible they're still together.

But yeah, I immediately assumed their contact was Rex. It makes the most sense for the Bad Batch to meet up with Rex at some point, and this sets that in motion.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
LOL at the battle droid asking "Did we win?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good to see that what we all suspected about Crusher's headaches was corrent.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Good to see that what we all suspected about Crusher's headaches was corrent.

It's so frustrating they're dragging it out though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would lean over the contact being Rex over Ashoka. In the canon Ashoka novel at this time she is in hiding and doing her own thing and eventually gets her new lightsabers before joining back up with the what will become the Rebellion.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
<looks left>

<looks right>

Right thread

K generally a likable episode, but that bow was seriously dumb.

I understand the meta reasons for it (merchandising and not wanting to arm children), but from a story standpoint, it made no sense.

When has the bad batch used a bow of that sort?

The reason Ezra used a sling, to begin with, is that what he had to work with before he met the crew and he was pretty good with it, plus he upgraded to a lightsaber within the season.

Same with Zeb. He gets the signature weapon because he was trained as an honor guard and for all his comic relief, he's really good with it.

but why wouldn't you give them a blaster instead of a weapon that she can barely draw?

Echo give her a blaster like the rest of them.

It was good enough for Luke to begin with, so its good enough for her.

and if guns aren't suitable, give her a contact stunner.

https://swse.fandom.com/wiki/Contact_Stunner

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

shades of eternity posted:

I understand the meta reasons for it (merchandising and not wanting to arm children), but from a story standpoint, it made no sense.

It’s one of the bows the slavers were using last episode. They showed Omega picking it up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm fine with Omega having a bow on account of it not being a lightsaber, nor do they need yet another gunner in a squad that's already got three of them

Although I suspect her accuracy's always gonna be slightly off when targeting living things because can't have children blasting holes through people, right

feel free to prove me wrong, Bad Batch

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Omega better start doing some serious reps with Gonky if she wants to git gud with that thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The lack of tactical realism is appalling

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Although I suspect her accuracy's always gonna be slightly off when targeting living things because can't have children blasting holes through people, right

feel free to prove me wrong, Bad Batch

My first thought as well. Does that thing even have stun, or did a 5 year old just pull a lethal weapon on someone like it's nothing? A lethal weapon that I would argue is more dangerous than a gun due to her inability to hold it at ready. Clones make terrible parents.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sammus posted:

Clones make awesome parents.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"Is there an echo in here?"
"yes?"

Great gag.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

shades of eternity posted:

I kind of wonder if an earlier version of the character was connected to the Nightsisters in some way, since the energy bow was exclusive to them before this series. I could see them making her a clone just to tie the group closer together, but still wanting to give her the bow as a unique weapon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The laser bow is even worse than Ezra's dumb sling shot.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sorry to see so many people's wrong opinion about the awesome fukkin' blaster bow.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah if I were ~ 8 or 9 I'd be running around at recess pretending to shoot droids with my awesome laser bow nonstop.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The wookie bowcaster did it better

Also gonna be real sad when Wrecker's CTE causes him to go on a berserk killing spree

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I want to have the kind of brain worms that makes me not enjoy a child's animation program because of stylistic choices like what kind of weapon the kid has "well it would be easier for her to use a blaster" well if we go with only "logical" conclusions the show will be boring as gently caress like star trek tng

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Cage Kicker posted:

I want to have the kind of brain worms that makes me not enjoy a child's animation program because of stylistic choices like what kind of weapon the kid has "well it would be easier for her to use a blaster" well if we go with only "logical" conclusions the show will be boring as gently caress like star trek tng

You really want one of these guys to spit in your ear?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Cage Kicker posted:

Lol imagine getting huffy somebody said a weapon in a star wars is dumb.

I enjoy the show but find the bow silly like gungan jelly bean bombs.

PS you can like stars both war and trek it's not a sports rivalry

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah if I were ~ 8 or 9 I'd be running around at recess pretending to shoot droids with my awesome laser bow nonstop.
And no matter how many people told me it was stupid, or too much for me, I'd doggedly stick with it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sorry to see so many people's wrong opinion about the awesome fukkin' blaster bow.

I'm in the "It's Awesome" camp, Star Wars needs more alien weapons. I'd be loving terrified if a 5 year old with a bow too big for her to hold had it pointed at me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Sammus posted:

I'm in the "It's Awesome" camp, Star Wars needs more alien weapons. I'd be loving terrified if a 5 year old with a bow too big for her to hold had it pointed at me.

Don’t come to Kentucky, then.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, the gungan boomers were cool. It’s not their fault the scenes they were in lacked any real stakes or tension.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also things like blaster bows and Gungan boomers belong in star wars because it's a space fantasy, not a science fiction.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah the more dumb weird poo poo the better. honestly the only thing that’s ever been a bridge too far for me is those loving helicopter lightsabers in Rebels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mandrel posted:

yeah the more dumb weird poo poo the better. honestly the only thing that’s ever been a bridge too far for me is those loving helicopter lightsabers in Rebels

Those were great because you at first think they were supposed to be super badass and were embarrassed but quickly realized their dumb blades signified that they were chumps and it became funny.