Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
You absolutely have the right to still wear a mask and I will not judge anything you do. I still wear a half-mask respirator inside buildings just because I bought one a while ago and I own it and then I don't have to worry at all.
What I object to is telling other people that are vaccinated that they should continue to quarantine and wear a mask always.
It's a waste of time and not where the focus should be!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Fluffy Bunnies is 100% justified in being cautious, especially given health issues.

But if you and your family are vaxxed you're also justified in doing more things and feeling safe in doing those things.

I think it's pretty lovely to shame someone for being cautious, even if you personally think they're being too cautious. I don't give a gently caress if someone wants to wear a drat hazmat suit around after last year, it doesn't bother me at all.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Lot of the vaccine companies are running studies on antibodies and some of the vulnerable people I work with are involved.

If you are nervous about the vaccine and you can get a antibody test then I cannot recommend it highly enough. The sense of relief I’m seeing from people is a fantastic thing and probably worth 10 therapy sessions.

Doc signed me up for one of those studies in July but I'm on the wait list so we'll see if it materializes into anything. I'd still be wearing a mask until this poo poo is lower in community spread regardless of the result.

E: Masks work less well when fewer people wear them. If anyone gives a poo poo about the general welfare of the people around you, regardless of vaccine status, you should be masked to assist in efficacy of masks in general. Simple as that. The vaccines have not changed that simple thing and though we are certainly getting closer to better vaccine numbers, we are still nowhere near where we need to be for that to change. You can say "oh I won't spread it if I get it" all you want because you're vaccinated, but we have 0 confirmation about that because they aren't monitoring non-hospitalized breakthrough cases nor are we monitoring the way many other countries are via site infection potential. Largely because we still have too many cases in the country.

Blaise bullshit is what got us here in the first place and why there's over 600,000 Americans dead and 3.5+ M dead worldwide. You'd think people would learn, but people don't.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 3, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah if you are on the list now then expect to be called up for the booster study, if all goes well their end then you should expect to have the face to face around August - they will check for antibodies first and then offer you either a regular shot or one they have tinkered with.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well, if you have a medical condition that is such that, even fully vaccinated, you are at mortal risk if you catch covid then my sympathy. That sounds rough as hell.

I am not looking down on people who continue to wear masks, but also its fine to take them off if you're vaccinated and I'm not judging for that either.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

CapMoron posted:

People can stop getting tested, but they can't stop making GBS threads, so there's that.

I accept your challenge.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

I accept your challenge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/828031141546430465?lang=en

He really is the Nostradamus of our age

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

Fluffy Bunnies is 100% justified in being cautious, especially given health issues

Normally I'd agree but

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Whatever it is, I'd rather bank a few more months of being cautious and watching other idiots get covid through their vaccines than be one of those idiots getting it.

gently caress this

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Quebec just moved up 2nd doses to 8 weeks from the original 16 and 75% of the 18+ population has already got the first dose done

:rms:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

henkman posted:

Normally I'd agree but
gently caress this

If you're putting yourself at risk and others by refusing to do the most basic thing in the world to protect others from the potential of breakthroughs, that's on you but I'm not gonna be part of it.

This whole thread has turned pretty anti-masking pro "who gives a gently caress about breakthroughs" vibes and it's pretty sad.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

learnincurve posted:

Fluffy has spent the plague doing thousands of funerals lads.

I know. She's also in one of the shittier states of the nation. And I have a huge amount of both sympathy and respect for FB.

I still don't think everyone who is relaxing mask usage deserves to be called an idiot.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Castaign posted:

She's also in one of the shittier states of the nation

I posted this over in cspam but I guess I can post them here too. These are direct from DPH in GA and are current/up to date:

It's just such trash over here and especially with nobody masking at all.

E: I added Mozi and Spinz to my ignore list and they should make it mutual because they can't cope with differing opinions and I am actively not trying to get the thread shut down just by having a vastly different experience with this poo poo compared to the high-vax areas in the country; where I've already said several times if I were there I'd definitely be going out and doing cool poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 3, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This whole thread has turned pretty anti-masking pro "who gives a gently caress about breakthroughs" vibes and it's pretty sad.

No, this thread is about 'now that I'm finally vaccinated I don't need to wear a mask anymore, a position which is supported by science that proves that getting the vaccine is more effective at preventing the spread of COVID than wearing a mask is.'

If you really do have some medical issue that renders the vaccine less effective for you that's unfortunate, but you can take this attitude:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd rather bank a few more months of being cautious and watching other idiots get covid through their vaccines than be one of those idiots getting it.

and cram it back up where it belongs. Congrats, you have an excuse to be paranoid and wearing a mask for the rest of your life. I hope you enjoy it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I have a hard time feeling judged.

Ideally, everyone would be vaxxed and masked until zero community transmission.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Accretionist posted:

I have a hard time feeling judged.

Ideally, everyone would be vaxxed and masked until zero community transmission.

Or at least incredibly low numbers. I don't think we'll ever see the end of covid at this point, entirely, because people can't deal with waiting that long. But yeah. At least lower than 500+ dead yesterday and another 16,000-some odd infections. It isn't even entirely the daily stats. It's that we have 5.5M cases still active in the US; over a third of all the world's cases entirely. We really, really need to cool our jets and let some more of this fade off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Or at least incredibly low numbers. I don't think we'll ever see the end of covid at this point, entirely, because people can't deal with waiting that long. But yeah. At least lower than 500+ dead yesterday and another 16,000-some odd infections. It isn't even entirely the daily stats. It's that we have 5.5M cases still active in the US; over a third of all the world's cases entirely. We really, really need to cool our jets and let some more of this fade off.

Where are you getting 5.5M active cases? There’s been 34 million total, 1/7 of those being active doesn’t really make sense with the dramatic reduction in new cases.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

This article is a month old but I found it a good read, and interesting. It presents a more in-depth analysis of the natural emergence vs lab escape theories of how the COVID outbreak began than I've seen elsewhere, although I haven't been digging through the online garbage looking hard for info on the topic particularly. Apologies if it has already been posted, I haven't kept up with the thread for ages.

Warning: it's a bit technical at points, but it's still more or less slanted to the layman.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If it leaked, it's the same risk every lab takes. I dislike how the 'lab leak' narrative has created all this hostility. Could have been us!

But I've seen a few articles about pre-China sightings. Testing archived blood draws.

The earliest I've seen is Italy: September 2019.

quote:

[...] We investigated the presence of SARS-CoV-2 receptor-binding domain (RBD)-specific antibodies in blood samples of 959 asymptomatic individuals enrolled in a prospective lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 ... SARS-CoV-2 RBD-specific antibodies were detected in 111 of 959 (11.6%) individuals, starting from September 2019 (14%), with a cluster of positive cases (>30%) in the second week of February 2020 and the highest number (53.2%) in Lombardy. This study shows an unexpected very early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic individuals in Italy several months before the first patient was identified, and clarifies the onset and spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. Finding SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in asymptomatic people before the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy may reshape the history of pandemic.

The Spanish Flu started in Kansas!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're putting yourself at risk and others by refusing to do the most basic thing in the world to protect others from the potential of breakthroughs, that's on you but I'm not gonna be part of it.

risk is relative. you buying stuff and having it shipped to your house puts others at risk from traffic accidents or work accidents. purchasing most stuff is probably putting people in another country at risk because they have lovely workers' rights.

going out fully vaccinated without a mask vs with a mask likely falls within the realm of these things. unless you want to subsist on rice in a cave, you're going to be doing things that put people at more risk than the minimum, but at some point you just have to deal with it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Accretionist posted:

If it leaked, it's the same risk every lab takes.

Eh I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

China notoriously pays its scientists and associated workers pretty crap wages and I highly doubt they take the same levels of precautions.

It’s definitely not an intentional leak but I can 100% but it being accidental.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

China notoriously pays its scientists and associated workers pretty crap wages and I highly doubt they take the same levels of precautions.

Pot kettle.

Maybe not 50 years ago.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

There is an article in the Washington Post just posted today about Chinese scientists who worked at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and how the collected bat specimens for research. They were apparently very lax in terms of PPE. (Paywalled so incognito mode is your friend) https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-bats-china-wuhan/2021/06/02/772ef984-beb2-11eb-922a-c40c9774bc48_story.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Interesting. For once an article that isn’t a retread.

Here’s an archive link if the incognito trick is unreliable for you.

quote:

The WHO report says Shi told the visiting team that all field work is done with full protective equipment — which experts say would include N95 masks, Tyvek bodysuits, goggles and gloves. But in a June 2018 lecture, Shi said workers don’t do that in practice.

“In most cases, we’d wear simpler protection, and it’s okay,” she said on a Chinese TED Talks-like program called Yixi. She said that’s because most bat-borne diseases cannot infect humans directly, only through an intermediary animal.

To illustrate, she showed slides of her team spreading out nets in a cave to catch bats and sorting samples afterward. Some wear thin surgical masks and rubber gloves as they work, while others are unmasked with bare hands.

“Under what situation would we increase our protection? For instance, when there are too many bats in the cave, and lots of dust even as you’re entering,” she said.

I’m no virologist, but I’m suspicious about wisdom in “most bat-borne diseases cannot infect humans directly, only through an intermediary animal”. That can be true in 99.999% of cases, and it’s that hundred thousandth bat encounter that causes a pandemic.

I’ve sat down in a car thousand times without incident, but I still wear my seatbelt.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s not so much escaped from a lab as someone caught something while inhaling bat guano and then merrily went about their day.

What it will boil down to is that real scientists will be able to tell if the original strain looks like a naturally occurring mutation or, to use the correct term I’m sure, someone has fiddled with it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

learnincurve posted:

That’s not so much escaped from a lab as someone caught something while inhaling bat guano and then merrily went about their day.

What it will boil down to is that real scientists will be able to tell if the original strain looks like a naturally occurring mutation or, to use the correct term I’m sure, someone has fiddled with it.

I agree about the bat guano thing. If that's the origin of the pandemic then it's not at all as bad as if the virus was manipulated and then accidentally released. Still, pretty bad.

But, about the second thing you wrote there, according to https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/ (linked above), that's not the case at all.

quote:

[...] a group of virologists led by Kristian G. Andersen of the Scripps Research Institute. “Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus,” the five virologists declared in the second paragraph of their letter.

Unfortunately, this was another case of poor science, in the sense defined above. True, some older methods of cutting and pasting viral genomes retain tell-tale signs of manipulation. But newer methods, called “no-see-um” or “seamless” approaches, leave no defining marks. Nor do other methods for manipulating viruses such as serial passage, the repeated transfer of viruses from one culture of cells to another. If a virus has been manipulated, whether with a seamless method or by serial passage, there is no way of knowing that this is the case. Andersen and his colleagues were assuring their readers of something they could not know.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dr. Fauci's emails are out.

Interesting to see what people will find. A lot of it is redacted though.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/02/politics/anthony-fauci-emails/index.html

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

garbage article posted:

newer methods, called “no-see-um” or “seamless” approaches, leave no defining marks. Nor do other methods for manipulating viruses such as serial passage, the repeated transfer of viruses from one culture of cells to another.

Ah, the ole "no-see-um" method. Very sciency!!

This more recent Nature article by Kristian G. Andersen discusses serial passage and other possibilities pretty well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

spacetoaster posted:

Dr. Fauci's emails are out.

Interesting to see what people will find. A lot of it is redacted though.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/02/politics/anthony-fauci-emails/index.html

"What a nice guy"

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

Ah, the ole "no-see-um" method. Very sciency!!

This more recent Nature article by Kristian G. Andersen discusses serial passage and other possibilities pretty well.

That's exactly the article that the "bulletin" article takes down in detail. He completely discredits the Andersen group's letter. I don't know why you write "this more recent" when it's from 17 March 2020 and the takedown Jeza posted is from last month? Maybe you linked the wrong article or something?

quote:

And that’s it. These are the two arguments made by the Andersen group in support of their declaration that the SARS2 virus was clearly not manipulated. And this conclusion, grounded in nothing but two inconclusive speculations, convinced the world’s press that SARS2 could not have escaped from a lab. A technical critique of the Andersen letter takes it down in harsher words.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's exactly the article that the "bulletin" article takes down in detail. He completely discredits the Andersen group's letter. I don't know why you write "this more recent" when it's from 17 March 2020 and the takedown Jeza posted is from last month? Maybe you linked the wrong article or something?

I should have said, recently quoted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/status/1399852467873927173

Have you read the paper, and considered the validity of the "take down"? Have you considered the author? Did you know Nicolas Wade has been publicly denounced before by the very scientists and others who he has based his work on? 143 publishing scientists refuting his book wherein he describes a genetic and racial basis for social behaviour and class..

If you are fond of that article, fine. I have no idea how you think he discredits it.

I don't know what the gbs thread thinks of TWIV but there is an excellent episode from three days ago that discusses origin theories and evidence for and against.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-762/

I would encourage you to see what all the quoted scientists and their peers think of the origin being deliberate manipulation.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 4, 2021

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Our news was talking about the incentives that the US has put into place like lottery, super bowl tickets etc. They talking about the efficacy of these programs and whether they would work. There people who actually think that the lottery thing is bad because it could trigger gamblers if they are automatically entered into a draw. Give me a break. If that's holding up even 10 people from Getting vaccinated I choose to throw the gamblers into a pit of some sort.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pot kettle.

Maybe not 50 years ago.

I have no idea what any of this means but that article is pretty telling wrt PPE.

It’s not like it matters at this point as we will never really know one way or the other.

I would hope that this lights a fire under their rear end to more harshly enforce PPE rules but :shrug:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The Australian government is going to fund the building of a new quarantine facility - something which would already be operating if they hadn't refused to so last year.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Purgatory Glory posted:

Our news was talking about the incentives that the US has put into place like lottery, super bowl tickets etc. They talking about the efficacy of these programs and whether they would work. There people who actually think that the lottery thing is bad because it could trigger gamblers if they are automatically entered into a draw. Give me a break. If that's holding up even 10 people from Getting vaccinated I choose to throw the gamblers into a pit of some sort.

Well it could frankly but who gives a poo poo. Degenerate gamblers are barely human.
(I was one, am one, depends how you look at it. Stopped about 10 years ago)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Also it really matters that you don't have to take any action to be entered. At least it's that way in California.

It would be the ACT that is really triggering if you're going to get triggered like if everyone got some kind of scratch card or whatever you had to do something. Someone that much on a knife edge is going to get triggered anyway the stuff's everywhere

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.wlwt.com/article/has-ohio-s-vax-a-million-lost-its-allure-governor-may-sweeten-the-pot/36623770

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio —
There is another round of Vax-a-Million winners and more incentive to get vaccinated. But there’s also growing concern that the allure of the special sweepstakes might have already run its course.

For as much as Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine showcased the most recent winners Thursday, the reality of hard numbers overtook their feel-good stories.

On the day of the second draw when their names were pulled, there were 11,000 vaccinations statewide -- and DeWine knows that won't cut it.

So, he's working on additional incentives while celebrating the two new lucky draws.

Jonathan Carlyle, 40, of Toledo had just come off a long shift delivering packages for Amazon when a call from the governor went straight to his voicemail and he did not delete it.

"I had a feeling what was up," said an enthused Carlyle. "And I listened to the voicemail and I pretty much almost lost it inside the van."

Zoie Vincent, 17, of suburban Cleveland was waiting for her second dose when she got word of a surprise scholarship.

She has her sights set on pre-med and becoming a doctor.

"I have been interested in medicine and science for like as long as I can remember," she told media during a statewide briefing by the governor's office Thursday morning.

Vincent and Carlyle are among a half-million additional Ohioans who signed up for the second drawing which was held by the Ohio Lottery last night.

However, the 11,000 number signifying those who were vaccinated Wednesday are at a level prior to Vax-a-Million.

President Joe Biden has set a national goal of 70% a month from now. As of this week, 56% of Ohio adults have at least one dose.

But at the current rate, the state would fall well short come July 4.

The governor might sweeten the pot.

"(We’re) talking with a couple Ohio companies about maybe a couple other offers to kind of make this a little more enticing," DeWine stated today.

It was COVID-19 that motivated Vincent to get the shot.

"I feel it was honestly the most sick I've ever been, but obviously came out of it," she related with a smile.

Carlyle could be exhibit A for the DeWine strategy.

He was part of the procrastinators DeWine has referred at some forty stops around the state.

He kept hearing from people who said they would probably get vaccinated but were not in a big rush about it.

Shortly after that, he announced the start of the Vax-a-Million lottery.

"As soon as I heard that, I was like yes I need to go do this now," Carlyle explained Thursday. "And I think it was two days later I went to the Lucas County Rec Center and got the Johnson & Johnson shot."

He said he did not get much sleep last night thinking about the future.

"I know that me and my family, we want to find our forever, our permanent home," Carlyle said.

Vincent said she can now focus on her education in med school after college.

"Rather than have to worry about taking out student loans later on," she said.

The governor wants companies to gin up more excitement that can attract more young to middle-age adults.

They are the target because their rate has slowed.

So, new appeals are being tried.

Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff at the Ohio Department of Health said, "I think we often think of COVID as relatively benign for children. But we now rank it among the top ten causes of pediatric death."

Vanderhoff described the ranking as startling.

In an interview with NPR, Dr. Sean O'Leary of the American Academy of Pediatrics said "But when you look at the top 10 causes of death, on an annual basis, this year, we've had, depending on whose numbers you use, somewhere between 300 and 600 pediatric deaths from COVID-19 so far. That's probably an undercount. And that would fit it somewhere in the top 10, somewhere between like No. 6 and No. 9 in terms of causes of death for children."

DeWine believes Ohio has taken the lead in the race against the virus.

But he said just as in a basketball game, you don't want to sit on a lead.

"That's where the game is today," he said.

It's about scoring more points which in this instance means more vaccinations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Imagine all the phishing opportunities this is going to lead to. You won the vaccine lottery, and now all you need to do is "reconfirm your personal information" and cover the costs of shipping your prize!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might seem a little weird but I’ll ask anyway.

My wife was talking to me about women reporting irregularities in their period after the shot and now she’s reporting the same ( it’s super early when it’s normally with in a few days). Is there any real data on this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It turns out that one of the crazy protesters at last weekend's anti-vax/anti-lockdown protest in Melbourne Australia is an aged care worker ...... and and news of that got out, you can guess how her employer reacted
https://twitter.com/reid_butler9/status/1399685206446018560
:toot:

Lolie posted:

The Australian government is going to fund the building of a new quarantine facility - something which would already be operating if they hadn't refused to so last year.

They're also funding a new mRNA facility so we might even be able to bulk manufacture mRNA vaccines right here in Australia perhaps in 4 years or so, so don't hold your breath
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-03/mrna-covid-19-vaccines-local-production-timeline/100187642

MarcusSA posted:

This might seem a little weird but I’ll ask anyway.

My wife was talking to me about women reporting irregularities in their period after the shot and now she’s reporting the same ( it’s super early when it’s normally with in a few days). Is there any real data on this?

Anecdotally yes, I've heard some stories about menstrual irregularities directly from several people. There's also a HUGE amount of bullshit on social media about people "shedding" the vaccine and causing menstrual irregularities in women who haven't been vaccinated and stuff like that so double check every source, certain people are being real weird around this subject.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Anecdotally yes, I've heard some stories about menstrual irregularities directly from several people. There's also a HUGE amount of bullshit on social media about people "shedding" the vaccine and causing menstrual irregularities in women who haven't been vaccinated and stuff like that so double check every source, certain people are being real weird around this subject.

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. I think that’s where she first saw it so I was a bit skeptical of it.

It could be any number of things that caused it but she can be a bit of a self admitted hypochondriac so I’m trying to “help” lol.