Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

the negotiations rule, getting a demon to join at minimal or no cost is a goomba stomp and constantly having to weigh your choices is cool. then you can have a hearty gamer lol if they refuse and tell you to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

the negotiations rule, getting a demon to join at minimal or no cost is a goomba stomp and constantly having to weigh your choices is cool. then you can have a hearty gamer lol if they refuse and tell you to gently caress off.

Last night a pissed off fomorian refused to join me but healed me instead

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I must've tried to recruit a Fomorian at least a dozen times, they always suck me dry of Chakra Drops and leave. :(

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Actual question for SMT Gamers- what do you find most compelling about the franchise? What is it about the mechanics, universe, characters, aesthetics, that keep you coming back to the series?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mkvltra posted:

Actual question for SMT Gamers- what do you find most compelling about the franchise? What is it about the mechanics, universe, characters, aesthetics, that keep you coming back to the series?

It's the natural progression from a Pokemon childhood. Plus I love all the demons especially the ones with obscure irl lore

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

What i like is the battle system and fusion mechanics are well designed and the devs actually challenge you to learn and take advantage of them to progress. You cant just grind mindlessly to get strong or use the same demons the whole game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Press turn is the good poo poo and it only gets better with each game that uses it. Hoping SMTV keeps it going

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mkvltra posted:

i love the feeling of a new area kicking your rear end and slowly learning enemy weaknesses and building a team to be able to beat the area. and the music. smt4 is one of my favourite game osts

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Everything said above and also while I wouldn't say the story is amazing the settings and themes are incredible and unique to the series.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

i love the feeling of a new area kicking your rear end and slowly learning enemy weaknesses and building a team to be able to beat the area. and the music. smt4 is one of my favourite game osts

yeah building a new team for every area is an aspect that can't be understated, by the time you get to the end of an area you can pretty much choose which encounters you do simply because you have a demon that matches another demon in the enemy party and they don't want to fight themselves if you talk to them. usually get a small reward for doing that too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
dating and slinks OP. plus epic cosplay

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

Yyyyyep this. My hog is lonely and needs to run wild.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

Wormskull posted:

Yyyyyep this. My hog is lonely and needs to run wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNJtHhUOzY

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Thanks for the posts, these games sound sick, I've had my eye on them for years but not played one yet. The way different religions / mythologies get combined seems really cool. What game should I start with?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mkvltra posted:

Thanks for the posts, these games sound sick, I've had my eye on them for years but not played one yet. The way different religions / mythologies get combined seems really cool. What game should I start with?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'd say Nocturne or Persona 4 Golden. The original P4 was my intro to the series and it got me hooked.

Digital Devil Saga is sort of like the Final Fantasy of the series, there's no demon negotiation or fusion (which are major aspects of every other game), but it could be a good intro to the press turn system. It's much more straight forward but DDS has one of my favorite settings and stories ever without losing any of the SMT flavor

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got into a prison last night and wandered around, I'm not really sure what my final goal is but I called it after getting to the 5th floor and feeling like I got nowhere

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Len posted:

I got into a prison last night and wandered around, I'm not really sure what my final goal is but I called it after getting to the 5th floor and feeling like I got nowhere

What did you do in the game though?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-v-release-date-details-leak/

SMT V November 11 in japan

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to believe

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
No more simultaneous worldwide release? :negative:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

No more simultaneous worldwide release? :negative:
only the japanese website leaked so far, we don't have any confirmation on other regions

we'll probably hear something during nintendo's e3 thing

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm still hopeful for a worldwide release

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Daisouju down, next to make a party for Hell Biker

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Another hot tip for first timers that I just remembered: Magic Up stat moves effect healing as well, so don't sleep on that even if you have a phys setup. Suddenly tier 1 dias are healing for 300hp for a fraction of mp.. very useful during some bosses

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jumped into the Labyrinth of Amala and feel like I needed to prepare more lol. There’s demons I’ve never seen before and I got rid of analyze on my demifiend

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Always find analyze kinda useless taking up an entire turn. Just relied on memory

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Always find analyze kinda useless taking up an entire turn. Just relied on memory

Yup. Plus there's always gamefaqs if you're getting owned too hard

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah it just takes up a space that I could use for something useful.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kicked Thor and Raidou’s asses.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Raidou fight was great.

Just what's your special power? Gun.

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1398845829775912964?s=19

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just got to Kabukicho prison... this game kicks so much rear end

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TFW you lose track of the bosses physical/magical barriers and eat your own 1200 dmg Divine Shot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I ran into a miniboss that Voided all magic. Sure man. That's cool to do on my Magic build Demifiend. Whatever, I'm not mad.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I refunded Necromunda to get SMT III. I need something ready to go after Y0. I just completed Chapter 13 and I mean drat, just drat.... what a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I completely forgot how to fight Trumpeter, so he easily split my cheeks like 3 times. I mean I kinda knew how to approach the fight, but there was a detail I had forgot that was crucial. After that I still barely won with a hail mary "he's killing me next turn" play. This game still loving rules.