Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

AverySpecialfriend posted:

My favorites when I was little watching my brother play were Shadow (cool) and Mog (cute)

you can make relm and strago look like mog. best team imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ff6 is probably one of my favorites, but i have to admit that the class system is awkward at best. they just sort of plaster one of the ff5 jobs onto each of the 14 characters, and tying stuff like Mug and Control to an accessory sometimes feels like an afterthought. plus, without gamefaqs level knowledge of how to get all the blue magic and rage, someone playing for the first time like aVerySpecialFriend would have no way of unlocking the secret to resurrect General Leo and get him in your party.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

herculon posted:

Agreed. Stay away from the PS1 port

I was so excited to get the psx anthology with ff5 and 6 when it came out, I got all the way to the airship and when I landed it it disappeared and I never played it on psx again

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Cyan's the true worst but the game's dead easy with whoever.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

lol

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
LOL my first introduction to Chrono Trigger was the PSX port, alongside FF4. I rented it and got as far as Magus' Castle, my peabrain was too blown away by the anime cutscene of Frog using the Masamune and fighting Flea and Slash that I accepted the lovely loading times.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

those aren't in the playstation version. it's just a few references in the cartoons they add for some of the endings.

oh. bizarre. gently caress you square!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Caithness posted:

Gau and Relm are the strongest though?

Relm has the highest magic power and magic is just the strongest option in general. Give her a couple earrings and she can do 9999 damage with a Fire 3.

Gau does take a while to power up but I personally find fighting on the veldt to be fun.

As a kid I didn't know Gau could be the strongest because I didn't spend hours on the veldt powering him up. In the playthroughs I've done since then I go in thinking "this time I'll power up Gau" but then get bored after 15 minutes of fighting on the veldt

Relm comes along late and by that time I have a stronger attachment to Celes and Terra. Strago and Umaro are also candidates to stay on the airship instead of her though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

ff6 is probably one of my favorites, but i have to admit that the class system is awkward at best. they just sort of plaster one of the ff5 jobs onto each of the 14 characters, and tying stuff like Mug and Control to an accessory sometimes feels like an afterthought. plus, without gamefaqs level knowledge of how to get all the blue magic and rage, someone playing for the first time like aVerySpecialFriend would have no way of unlocking the secret to resurrect General Leo and get him in your party.

everyone can do everything so the "jobs" don't matter except at the beginning of the game really. i guess if you're using jewel box and ecnomizer with setzer you're doing less damage then doing the same thing with realm or celes or terra but it doesn't really matter

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

next person to say gau is the strongest is getting an mfin bullet in the head

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I never use Gau but I just read there's some crazy poo poo you can do with him, like two relics you give him that make him so ridiculously strong that it only works in the 1.0 version of the snes release and was fixed in every subsequent release

I think it had something to do with the merit award and Gau but of course I can't find anything now. They even fixed it for the terrible ps1 port.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I never use Gau but I just read there's some crazy poo poo you can do with him, like two relics you give him that make him so ridiculously strong that it only works in the 1.0 version of the snes release and was fixed in every subsequent release

I think it had something to do with the merit award and Gau but of course I can't find anything now. They even fixed it for the terrible ps1 port.

So what you’re saying is Gau has not been hacked no matter what version you’re on.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Gau Is Overpowered But It's Extremely Dependent On What Revision You're On!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Who wouldn’t want to spend time on the Veldt. The soundtrack rocks

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Merit award + offering + tempest + stray cat, catscratch's damage multiplier is applied to tempest's wind attack so he can end most battles in one round (but again, it's FF6 so everyone else can too).

Pretty sure Gau can equip the merit award on all SNES versions.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I found it, it's called "Wind God Gau"

quote:

Get the rage that does Cat Scratch (I forgot the exact name of the monster, but it's just one of those little cats that you fight kind of early in the game). This rage has the highest damage multiplier minus some hidden glitch monster stuff that you can't normally get. The damage multiplier is about x 4, whereas the second highest is only like x 2 (the Trooper rage being one of the ones in the second highest spot). That is why Cat Scratch does such high damage.

Next, later in the game you will get the Merit Award relic (you can also get it in the Colosseum by beating Hoover), which allows the equipped character to equip lots of armor and weapons they normally wouldn't be able to. In Gau's case he can now equip weapons.

Finally, with the Merit Award on, equip on Gau Cyan's low-end sword called Tempest. This is the one that does Wind Slash (there's like a 50% chance it'll trigger, so it happens a lot).

Now, when you're in battle, do his Cat Scratch rage, and when Wind Slash triggers it'll hit all enemies with 4 times the damage.

I think you can also equip the offering and do double that. It's so powerful they got rid of it on every revision other than the Japanese original release and the American snes release.

E: f, b

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

welcome posted:

Merit award + offering + tempest + stray cat, catscratch's damage multiplier is applied to tempest's wind attack so he can end most battles in one round (but again, it's FF6 so everyone else can too).

Cool, they definitely took it out of the psx version which is amazing because they didn't care about anything else.

Can it be done on snes classic release?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gau can do most of what you need him to with the Stray Cat Rage imo

Bicyclops posted:

there's nothing in the game that compares to figuring out how to resurrect him yourself

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm on snes 1.0 and the patch doesn't change anything about gau so :madmax: No one spoil the resurrection thing any more or I'll kill you

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing to spoil. There's no way on your first playthrough that you'd figure out the secret on how to resurrect him on your own.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I'm on snes 1.0 and the patch doesn't change anything about gau so :madmax: No one spoil the resurrection thing any more or I'll kill you

you're probably not going to get it on your first try. hard to find the method even on gamefaqs anymore.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

welcome posted:

this.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
here it is in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhOuNpDuH_Q

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

ff6 ftw

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mobile/PC FF6 is hideous, but apart from that it's got the script and all the bugfixes from the GBA version and it changes how Bushido works so you can enter other characters' commands while Cyan is charging up.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Mobile/PC FF6 is hideous, but apart from that it's got the script and all the bugfixes from the GBA version and it changes how Bushido works so you can enter other characters' commands while Cyan is charging up.

thats cool. cyan is the worst character ven worse than umaru and gau

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

whoa, i guess I'm guilty of just throwing him to the side because I didnt take the time to get all cool monster moves. Sorry Gau. Your veldt music rocked though.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FF6 is insanely epic. Nuff said.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i still find myself whistling the world of balance overworld theme when i'm doing the dishes sometimes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

:hai:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

reviving crashed airship in the world of ruin....epic man.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeoooooooouch!! Seafood soup!!

Fungah!