Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AmbientParadox posted:

Staffing isn't like cookie clicker games where you can just click "add devs" and your productivity increases. If what you're saying is true, and there's one core dev, there's no guarantee that that dev has leadership experience or qualities.

I could be wrong on this but from what I understand the core Valheim dudes are mainly (maybe all?) from THQ Nordic, and just wanted a small indie dev experience instead, so they do have experience with big dev projects and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/w5yUWcz.mp4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lol owned

Ravenfood posted:

I'd love a ship somewhere between the karve and longship in terms of handling and storage, tbh. The longship is fast and has a great hold space, but Jesus is it a giant whale in terms of turning.

Maybe in the Sea update, whenever that is.

Some kind of small cargo ship with more than 4 spaces would be nice in the current game when you’re trying to get iron but I want something bigger than a Longship already. Something like the Cyclops in Subnautica that lets me take my base with me. I want to be spewing smoke and fire from a forge and bonfire on the deck as I ply the sea.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Let me tame a Kraken, cowards.

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?
what's the simplest piece of content you would want added to the game in a future update? for me, it's inverted 26 and 45 degree walls

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Krul posted:

what's the simplest piece of content you would want added to the game in a future update? for me, it's inverted 26 and 45 degree walls

Also those shapes as floor tiles. Even just 45 degree floor tiles.

E: maybe a 2x2 and/or 2x4 wall to go with the 4x4 and 4x2 wood walls that already exist. If you're just trying to do a 6 wall you can cram them into each other's space, but if you really want a wood wall you can't go smaller than 4 units.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 4, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd like a straightforward way to make a pier, like something that just bridges seafloor to average water level that I could place from a boat that'd dynamically size itself up to like 3 walls deep

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Krul posted:

New base decorations. They have the dragon head thing, so its definitely possible to make others. For example, why not a raven statue? Or a scarecrow for the fields?

That or an in-game message system, like a bulletin board where you can leave notes for other players.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Krul posted:

Angled floor and roof pieces to facilitate making circular buldings better.

Proper spiral staircase pieces.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, I'd say take a page from Conan: Exiles and add triangle pieces to facilitate rounding. The building system in that game was smart in a lot of ways.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Krul posted:

You can get these today in mods! (and they continue to work fine for players without mods or if you turn the mods off)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Some way to park a boat without monsters being able to get to it and attack it that doesn't involve building/deconstructing walls every time I leave.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I feel like it should just be that mobs won't target a boat unless a player is in it.

Currently it feels like the priority is players > boats > everything else player made.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IIRC from a code dive on reddit it's players > workbenches > boats and then other player-made stuff from there.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I just want things not to attack if they are swimming (except Serpents obvs).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just remove swimming imo

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC from a code dive on reddit it's players > workbenches > boats and then other player-made stuff from there.

I've had mobs tear a boat apart when there was a bench in the open ~8m away. But the AI probably determined the boat was 'easier' to get to.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

just remove swimming imo

I say add diving and cut the stamina drain for just being in water.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

haldolium posted:

I say add diving and cut the stamina drain for just being in water.

Diving would let you recover stuff lost at sea instead of terrifying me that I might lose something and have no way within the game mechanics to recover it. I'm ok with getting wrecked over and over having to do corpse runs. 'lol sucks to be you it's gone' is significantly less fun.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

bird food bathtub posted:

Diving would let you recover stuff lost at sea instead of terrifying me that I might lose something and have no way within the game mechanics to recover it. I'm ok with getting wrecked over and over having to do corpse runs. 'lol sucks to be you it's gone' is significantly less fun.

What are you doing that lets you lost stuff at sea?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'd assume sailing and then running into a sea serpent or one of the trolls that leash way too far off land

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Krul posted:

More 1x1 tiles, and triangle tiles, as well as rounded tiles (particularly roof and framing).

Also stone chimney tiles from the get go.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I feel like it should just be that mobs won't target a boat unless a player is in it.

Currently it feels like the priority is players > boats > everything else player made.

empty boats should honestly be involnerable to non-players, it's such a PITA that you basically have to deconstruct them or risk losing bits if you leave them out long term.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well based on the mobs being coded to prioritize attacking empty boats, it's pretty clear the devs disagree with us on that one.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Floppychop posted:

I'd assume sailing and then running into a sea serpent or one of the trolls that leash way too far off land

Love those ocean trolls

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well based on the mobs being coded to prioritize attacking empty boats, it's pretty clear the devs disagree with us on that one.

The devs also think that people should have a lot of small camps around everywhere, but they also made it so that workbenches need an obscene amount of materials to be upgraded.

What I'm saying is that they don't have some grand perfect vision.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Floppychop posted:

The devs also think that people should have a lot of small camps around everywhere, but they also made it so that workbenches need an obscene amount of materials to be upgraded.

What I'm saying is that they don't have some grand perfect vision.

I'm certainly not saying their vision is perfect but, the workbench really isn't difficult to upgrade to level 2 or 3 with very little effort. And once you get a few iron bars the forge is the same way. Way more than enough to repair your gear. You don't really need to max out forge/workbench at more than 3 locations.

Near iron, near silver and near black iron. Once you get the hang of things the last few really aren't all that difficult either.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well poo poo, I was roaming around the mountains at night and a 2 star wolf came out of nowhere. I was totally unprepared to tame it and couldn't run away either so had to kill it. I hope another shows up at some point, they've been rare so far.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Ravenfood posted:

Well poo poo, I was roaming around the mountains at night and a 2 star wolf came out of nowhere. I was totally unprepared to tame it and couldn't run away either so had to kill it. I hope another shows up at some point, they've been rare so far.

I definitely recommend setting up an off mountain camp. I made up a whole pen area and set up an escape route via jumps. I had to double up the fencing to contain the 2 star ones. They're definitely worth the hassle.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

fennesz posted:

I'm certainly not saying their vision is perfect but, the workbench really isn't difficult to upgrade to level 2 or 3 with very little effort. And once you get a few iron bars the forge is the same way. Way more than enough to repair your gear. You don't really need to max out forge/workbench at more than 3 locations.

Near iron, near silver and near black iron. Once you get the hang of things the last few really aren't all that difficult either.

Or just put a teleporter in your microbases to the base that has all your upgrades.I have a base that's my "Hub" and all the small bases are spokes.

EDIT: I technically have two larger bases as I've learned more about what constitutes "Good location" (And I'm about to have a 3rd because I want a plain castle with easy access to swamp). My first "Main Base" Has abandoned and is nothing more than a large farm now. My second still has all my stuff for now but is slowly transitioning to a large open air pig farm (It has about 20 2 star pigs wandering around at any given moment). The third is ~coming soon~.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 5, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This is exactly what happened with my bases - I built the first one, and abandoned it once I got iron, then carried on with that one because all my black metal and my yagluth spawner were within a couple of minutes run on the same island and I don't like sailing.

In our group playthrough too, we built two main bases at those two points, and whilst we had a bunch of minor bases, some of which were pretty sizeable, none were massive bits of engineering the way those two were.

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?
i think the mountains is where it becomes a production to not only dig out the metal while surviving but also cart it down the mountain and then sail it back across the sea. i always took the single main base with many little bases until i reached the mountains. at that point, i found it faster to do one boat trip of crafting table and forge components (with upgrades) and just make all my silver gear on-site.

i feel like the later stuff should use silver, not iron.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have my actual base I live in, and then teleporter spokes to outposts that exist for no reason other than to refine and transport metal back home.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Krul posted:

i feel like the later stuff should use silver, not iron.

Or even the metal you're specifically getting from the mobs in the appropriate zone, which are used for weapons but for some reason not armor, unlike every previous area.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We ended up with like ten or eleven bases in our playthrough.

Main camp was in the meadows with our portal hub.

We had two mountain bases, a swamp base, and some exploratory fishing bases. Basically anytime we set out to explore in a boat we landed and built a portal back that would later become a forward operating base for exploration. There was almost always a small swamp in range to hit up for the amount of iron needed to make upgrades to the workshops. You don't even need a crypt just the incidental iron you find with the wishbone should see you through.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Spanish Matlock posted:

We ended up with like ten or eleven bases in our playthrough.

Main camp was in the meadows with our portal hub.

We had two mountain bases, a swamp base, and some exploratory fishing bases. Basically anytime we set out to explore in a boat we landed and built a portal back that would later become a forward operating base for exploration. There was almost always a small swamp in range to hit up for the amount of iron needed to make upgrades to the workshops. You don't even need a crypt just the incidental iron you find with the wishbone should see you through.

You can find iron in the swamp outside of crypts? What? Is it buried nodes or something? I've never entered the swamp with the wishbone equipped after I got it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

buried nodes, yeah. under the waterline. it's real fun to mine. real enjoyable.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, there are a decent amount of scrap piles buried in the swamps. I guess you could mine for them randomly before you get the key or wishbone but it would suck. It sucks afterwards unless you haven't found any more swamps. Mostly I've had more than enough iron by just sailing near the coast and mining out crypts I can see from the water and storing it in my longship. So far it's given me enough extra iron for new workshop upgrades and small extras for gates and ironwood.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 6, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like how the swamp is basically the water level of this video game.

Water levels always suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

I like how the swamp is basically the water level of this video game.

Water levels always suck.

I think the age-old trap is that the Water Level is super fun to design but super not fun to play.