Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Watching their drawings develop is pretty cool, too. My 2.75yo has started doing circles with faces and limbs.

My 5yo drew Titus-Andronicus-but-on-a-pirate-ship the other night, which was a bit macabre. Took me a while to figure where she might have picked that up from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sleeping through the night is a milestone.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Right now she sleeps from about 7 or 7:30 to 4 and then demands to be up at 6 lol (which isn't that bad because it has me up and moving for work)

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009

Good soup! posted:

Right now she sleeps from about 7 or 7:30 to 4 and then demands to be up at 6 lol (which isn't that bad because it has me up and moving for work)

Three of my four kids generally wake up at like 5:30. It's always good (for me) to remember that they are also ready to zonk out by 8 PM.
Also, something that helped me a lot back when I was doing all the nighttime feedings for twin infants was listening to audiobooks / podcasts, it made it feel like less of a sleep-deprived slog and more of an... entertaining slog? I'd also watch tv shows on a tablet with earphones but that's horrible sleep hygiene, I wouldn't recommend it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

getting him to indicate when he's done eating is the next milestone for me (16 months), right now it takes the form of picking up the plate and frisbee it into the nearest wall

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

kecske posted:

getting him to indicate when he's done eating is the next milestone for me (16 months), right now it takes the form of picking up the plate and frisbee it into the nearest wall

At least he's telling you!

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Dreylad posted:

my wife and i are looking at books and yeah there's a whole plethora of "DUDES! TIME TO BE A DAD!" with incredible suggestions like you do the bare minimum of household chores

I found one called Cribnotes and i'm not really sure about the author or the reviews about it but the content seems decent.

here's an incredible parenting 101 book from the government of quebec, for free: https://www.inspq.qc.ca/sites/default/files/mieux-vivre/pdf/tt2021_full_guide.pdf

and i've not read this one but i've heard great things, i'm ordering it soon: https://www.amazon.ca/Gift-Fatherhood-Transformed-Their-Children/dp/0671875825

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Good soup! posted:

My kid is obsessed with the cats and I'm proud of both of them for being extremely patient with her and she does an occasional death grip on their fur as we try to guide her hand in a petting motion lol

Our toddler will grab that tail, and attack the paws despite any scratches that result

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My wife and I fed a feral cat for a year before we moved to where we are now and before the move got him fixed and he just refused to leave our house after so he came with us. And despite being very large and strong (he actually hit me so hard when we were trying to trap him that it bruised my leg through jeans) he is just a huge mush with the kids. He will gently hit them with no claws out if he gets over whelmed but that is rare and he lets them just manhandle him. I can't pick him up but my 3 year old somehow has and he was just super limp and happy.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A few more weeks and I'll be back in the office and my wife's parental leave will be at an end (12 weeks from that federal paid leave act + a ton of saved of vacation/sick time meant she was able to essentially take off half a year solely for the baby, that's pretty fuckin sweet), and then she heads to daycare

We picked a local lady (licensed and all that good stuff) who had some good reviews and when we met her we got good vibes and the place looked nice. Looking at the inspection reports online, it appears the only real things she was "cited" for were relatively innocuous stuff like certain forms being slightly out of date and such and those were rare, but man I am still just anxious as hell about leaving her with anyone anywhere at any point in time. One positive is my wife only works four days a week so on Tuesdays, she'll be home with the little one which I am jealous of in the best way

I have close to zero actual anxiety that I deal with, so is there any real advice other than "let go" in terms of dealing with being away from her for the first time on a daily basis?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

A few more weeks and I'll be back in the office and my wife's parental leave will be at an end (12 weeks from that federal paid leave act + a ton of saved of vacation/sick time meant she was able to essentially take off half a year solely for the baby, that's pretty fuckin sweet), and then she heads to daycare

We picked a local lady (licensed and all that good stuff) who had some good reviews and when we met her we got good vibes and the place looked nice. Looking at the inspection reports online, it appears the only real things she was "cited" for were relatively innocuous stuff like certain forms being slightly out of date and such and those were rare, but man I am still just anxious as hell about leaving her with anyone anywhere at any point in time. One positive is my wife only works four days a week so on Tuesdays, she'll be home with the little one which I am jealous of in the best way

I have close to zero actual anxiety that I deal with, so is there any real advice other than "let go" in terms of dealing with being away from her for the first time on a daily basis?

Ugly cry your way to work the first week you drop baby off

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

done

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Good soup! posted:

it might be too late, but you can ease back in after leave. do a week of half days, etc. that helped me

that, and telling my boss, "we just had a baby. for this next year I will be performing at Meets Expectations, just fyi"

and I sure as hell did, and she was totally cool with it. saying it upfront didn't crater my career when I essentially hosed off at work for a year. it was a huge stress relief

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Focus on the good stuff, like we had to put my daughter in a daycare and while it sucked at first, she learned to crawl in the first week of watching other babies and developed a bunch of other good habits just from being around actual professionals instead of her clueless parents.

It's rough the first week or two, no doubt, but remind yourself that exposing your kid to new people is important and has real benefits.

Mustached Demon posted:

Ugly cry your way to work the first week you drop baby off

this too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

fosborb posted:

it might be too late, but you can ease back in after leave. do a week of half days, etc. that helped me

that, and telling my boss, "we just had a baby. for this next year I will be performing at Meets Expectations, just fyi"

and I sure as hell did, and she was totally cool with it. saying it upfront didn't crater my career when I essentially hosed off at work for a year. it was a huge stress relief

bolded is a good point, I actually took off very little time because my boss has been awesome with allowing me to work from home and avoid exposing myself and my family to COVID so I've been around the baby/wife more often than not which has been cool

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Focus on the good stuff, like we had to put my daughter in a daycare and while it sucked at first, she learned to crawl in the first week of watching other babies and developed a bunch of other good habits just from being around actual professionals instead of her clueless parents.

It's rough the first week or two, no doubt, but remind yourself that exposing your kid to new people is important and has real benefits.

good point, too, thanks!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
just get ready for baby to get sick a lot first year in daycare. Late night croup, sniffles, passing to you and partner, etc

Hand washing /diaper wipes on hands helps a lot. My spouse got a lot sicker than me from our kid. She never got ill and then bam after kid every illness was like real bad.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one of the nice little bonuses about covid is that my kids werent in a virus incubator 5 days a week almost a year so my wife and i didnt get sick at all in 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Nastier Nate posted:

one of the nice little bonuses about covid is that my kids werent in a virus incubator 5 days a week almost a year so my wife and i didnt get sick at all in 2020

i. have. so. much. pto.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Good soup! posted:

Daycare is AMAZING, with my first kid we found someone right off the train stop on the way to work, an old polish lady and a few helpers. She would have all the kids sit on a potty and play for an amount of time each day starting as soon as they could sit up on their own, the kids played and made best friends, we got to chat with other parents about the same anxieties we were having at pickup.

My basic point is, daycare is an opportunity for the kid to get more attention, and more specialized attention in a group setting. It's (imo imo) better than we can do at home alone. Also it gives us the freedom to get other things that need doing done.

On the second kid now and I am looking forward to daycare, not just for us but for the kid as well.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

not looking forward to figuring out schedules since ours is leaving full day pre school to 9-4 kindergarten. our district, the largest in the area, does not have before or after school care so we got to bend over backwards to make it work, we have no family here either so that rules!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

in the same boat with having to go back in the office next month, with the wife starting back teaching a month or so after that. I can’t for the life of me imagine leaving our (at that point) 7 month old with anyone for an entire loving day, but I guess we’ve been spoiled by the pandemic bubble. I think at least in our area, the push for wfh has made the daycare situation go from 8 month waiting lists to normal.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

demand for nursery spots around me is insane, we're paying £1500 / $2000~ a month for 3 days a week because that's the only available slot within a reasonable distance. I've been lucky that I can do condensed hours at work and do everything over 4 days and take babby on thursdays while my wife has fridays. the nursery staff send us pictures and written developmental updates every day though which is nice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Niece and nephew visited and watched pbs kids while they were here which I was down with, and not to sound like I got strong opinions about shows for toddlers but man, Super Why holds nobody's attention and just has garbage, college student level CGI and one of the weirdest renditions of the ABC song we've heard and just a dumb title too

Love the idea of getting kids to read though, but even the kids don't stay watching and engaged like the other shows

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Always Daniel Tiger imo.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
this is all Daniel tiger, I'm convinced

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But her name is Margaret...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
oh yeah, you're right. there is still an uptick in recent years for Margaret but it's not nearly as pronounced

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My kid loved Super Why for a bit. It's got predictable repeated events, call and response stuff, and I swear to God kids are drawn to lovely animation.

I try to watch Daniel tiger with him so I can remember the jingles because they are all applicable in real life really quickly. That show is incredible.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Super Why is pretty good because it allows the kids to get the right answers a lot but my kid also got tired of it. She's on the dinosaur train kick now. She like Peg+Cat for a little bit but Peg needs to chill out once in a while.

I'd record Super Why off the DVR and it would be the 480P version and it was like time travel due to the image quality. Not sure why the PBS kids channel is still 480. The HD version is marginally better lol.

My kid keeps on asking me about Paw Patrol and saw an ad for the new movie and just wanted to watch the ad. I'm like, well I can't just pull up ads and sorry we don't have it!

She's already bombarded enough with poo poo like that and don't need to pile it on more.

Our kid likes to sing back daniel tiger jingles back at us when we don't do what she wants. Like I hate bananas and she wants to share and is like "if you try new food it might taste good!". She's essentially throwing back our parenting in our faces. At least it's working.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Peg+Cat is alright but I hate math so I'm glad the kids enjoy it lol

I'm guessing the reason why so many of the OTA PBS kids channels are low quality feeds is to reach as many TVs as possible? HD screens are the norm now but I guess there's not much of a point to watching Wild Kratts in 4k, plus you can stream your local channel via the PBS Kids in full HD if needed

The Roku app is pretty good so far, can't wait for the little one to start getting into Sesame Street. And yeah my wife and I agree on not having Paw Patrol on lol

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm not the kinda rear end in a top hat to take a toy away from my kid but I can drat sure encourage rough play and teach her to treat Chase as the villain.

Oh oops you didn't pick up your chase toy from the yard before daddy mowed oh dear oh me oh my.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Here’s another fun unexpected kid expense

I was doing laundry and realized the utility sink was completely backed up as well as the toilets so it’s entirely possible that my either daughter flushed a toy down the toilet or my son used an enormous amount of toilet paper because as he puts it “my butt was so dirty!”

So there’s like 3 or 400 dollarybucks down the drain, literally

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We are moving across the country in 10 days and our 3 year old can sense things are changing so he's a little easier to cry than normal. We've explained to him as best we can what's going to happen and we try to make sure he gets a lot of attention to help him feel secure and it seems to work because he's excited to get on a plane. Anyone else been through this? He'll have more outdoor space where we're going so I think he'll love it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sid the Science Kid is some loving weird poo poo, oh my god, Jim Henson Productions please stay away from cgi if these are the strange rear end creations you're going to make

Also lol:

quote:

The series is the second CGI animated show to use the motion capture technique after Donkey Kong Country.

this I did not know

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol what shambolic abominations did they mocap for the title dance sequence

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I'm guessing the reason why so many of the OTA PBS kids channels are low quality feeds is to reach as many TVs as possible? HD screens are the norm now but I guess there's not much of a point to watching Wild Kratts in 4k, plus you can stream your local channel via the PBS Kids in full HD if needed

It's there such a thing as a TV that can receive digital signals but not if they're hd?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

here's an incredible parenting 101 book from the government of quebec, for free: https://www.inspq.qc.ca/sites/default/files/mieux-vivre/pdf/tt2021_full_guide.pdf

and i've not read this one but i've heard great things, i'm ordering it soon: https://www.amazon.ca/Gift-Fatherhood-Transformed-Their-Children/dp/0671875825

kickass, thank you! (also your avatar rules)

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Good soup! posted:

Sid the Science Kid is some loving weird poo poo, oh my god, Jim Henson Productions please stay away from cgi if these are the strange rear end creations you're going to make

Watch their mouths in Sid the science kid. Their teeth are used in some of the consonants and not others, so the effect looks like they are retractable and it is terrifying.

The animation is done with motion tracking and puppetry that tracks movements for the hands and mouths. It gets really freaky.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I had a student who liked Sid the Science Kid. Sid's mom looks wall eyed and it's really freaky. I don't like the dance sequences.

I can proudly announce that my three year old not only has a favorite simpson's episode (Lisa's First Word), but he's able to quote from it. I am so happy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

My oldest either watches bluey or sesame street reruns and I'm like " well thats parenting sorted out then".
Also I'm not an advocate of smart devices for kids but the Khan academy kids app is goddamn wholesome and great and actually is teaching my kid to speak English which, mind blown.