Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

Presumably because we actually want the thing to happen and indications are if Congress keeps it in hand it won't happen

If the House set up their own Democrat-lead investigation I would expect it to be thorough and full-throated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Sanguinia posted:

Presumably because we actually want the thing to happen and indications are if Congress keeps it in hand it won't happen

The hell are you talking about? Pelosi literally said that if the Senate didn't pass the full commission, House Dems would do it on their own. Just two days ago we had reports about House Dems outlining every way the commission could be done without the Senate.

I'm pretty sure Congress is more empowered to do investigations like this than the executive is, anyway.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There is zero chance congress doesn't investigate 1/6.

There's also zero chance dems will get a bunch of republicans to vote for an investigation.

Thankfully the latter is in no way required for the former.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
hell yeah im a mod now

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hell yeah im a mod now

Congratulations to new QCS/fyad mod Herstory Begins Now

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How are u posted:

Why? Why not let Congressional Dems take the "partisan hit" while Joe stays on the sidelines? It seems like it would be electorally unwise for Joe to be directly investigating his political rival, no?
I guess you could make the following argument:

- There will be a penalty for investigating 1/6 in a "partisan" way (this is incredibly disputable, but let's concede it for this exercise)
- The penalty will be paid by either Biden or Congress
- Congress has elections coming up sooner, and Biden is more generally popular, so it would make more sense for Biden to take the hit.

But... the public perception of Biden probably has as much or more effect on Dems' performance in '22 than the perception of Nancy Pelosi or congress. It's also something that should be investigated by congress. And after all, the executive has been investigating it, in the way the executive branch does: via FBI operations and the DOJ. The "blue ribbon committee report" poo poo is really more of a congressional thing.

I do worry that Biden's above-it-all, "Republicans are our friends" tack, both in the campaign and as POTUS, is beneficial to his own personal popularity, but doesn't do the downticket any favors. (After all, Biden said these are just nice guys who disagree on some issues, right?) There's some stuff in the 2020 results that suggests that's the case. But, like I said, Biden's popularity is pretty important to the downticket, so... :shrug:

The question is in how much being the "good cop" helps Joe, and how much it hurts dems in congress, and how much it helping Joe helps Dems in congress. My guess would be that once you weigh those out, the effect is... pretty negligible. Compared to like, you know, Number, or restrictive voting laws.

In any case, however 1/6 gets investigated, it will absolutely be more damaging for Republicans than for Democrats, so they might as well just get going with it already.

e: I can't believe I even have to say this but "there is no investigation" is not a thing that will possibly happen :toxx:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

congress has clear subpoena power while i don't know that a commission biden sets up by executive order does, and congress is the right party to investigate it anyway

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

congress has clear subpoena power while i don't know that a commission biden sets up by executive order does, and congress is the right party to investigate it anyway

Also, the FBI can and is still investigating people. That is Biden's power over this.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hey Larry, yep...I...uh-huh...right ok...but....ok...Larry, I gotta go but it was so great to talk to you.

Yeah, I definitely reach out to people and solicit their advice just so I can then brush them off. I’m sure that is what Joe Biden is doing. :rolleyes:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1400548625646854144

Hm. On the one hand, this is the right move in a vacuum, given the dangerous poo poo that right-wing politicians post. It also seems like Facebook sticking with its decision to keep Trump banned even after the 6 month period the oversight board gave them to make a final decision. On the other hand, I fully expect this to be used as a cudgel against left-wing politicians for even the slightest non-violent-but-radical sentiment.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Congratulations to new QCS/fyad mod Herstory Begins Now

may my reign be nasty, brutish, and short

Pobrecito posted:

Yeah, I definitely reach out to people and solicit their advice just so I can then brush them off. I’m sure that is what Joe Biden is doing. :rolleyes:

you mean the exact thing biden has done over and over since taking office? remember the gop delegations he invited to talk about the ara?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 3, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pobrecito posted:

I mean... he could've been calling him to say "stop spewing your bullshit and brain-poisoning all the rich neoliberal Harvard alums scattered throughout my administration, the party apparatus, and the media." That would be a good use of a five minute phone call.

The administration hasn't done anything to signal a change in its policy priorities so I doubt they care about Summers any more than they did when decided to not give him a job.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

someone, quick go set up bernie with a mastodon account

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

You mean the thing that GOP members have been complaining that he's done to them many times? Yeah it kinda sounds like him.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can think of four tones a Biden-Summers call (given the description of the call from Stein - "Biden asked Summers to explain his critiques, which have led to increasingly bitter dispute w/ WH aides") could've taken, from coolest to least cool:

A. "God drat it Larry, shut the gently caress up or I'm going to have the FBI go around and interview every woman under 40 that you've had any interaction with in the last 10 years."
B. "Larry, this poo poo is making all the Harvard guys here complain nonstop, I'm trying to keep everyone on the same page here and you're not helping."
C. "Larry, I know you're one of the smartest guys I know, and you're a straight shooter, but darn it, Yellin and Walsh and Raimondo keep telling me you've got it wrong; I'm inclined to listen to them but why don't you tell me why they're wrong?"
D. "I am calling you, Larry Summers, because I think your opinion has value and I will be factoring it in my decision making process."

In order of likelihood, I would put these C, B, D, A. (Also, I think Biden is so conditioned by four decades of Senate back-slapping that if he tried to do "B" it would come out as "C" anyway).

Summers is someone Biden has worked with a lot and has known a long time, and somebody who has broadly speaking been an ally, so when somebody like that starts savaging you in the press it's reasonable to call and ask them why they're doing this.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If Summers is gonna stay in the news, this content may be useful. The Tax Policy Center is featuring an article comparing and contrasting Biden's tax proposals during the campaign and current* proposals that is pretty granular.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/feature/where-president-biden-stands-tax-policy
*n.b annoyingly, despite being a featured article for them, this does not yet appear to have been updated on the basis of the budget last week.

Separately, I'll mention that Howard Gleckman, the world's only honest deficit hawk, has a piece up at the Tax Policy Center complaining about how the deficit will likely be even bigger than Biden's budget suggests.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/deficit-likely-be-bigger-biden-projects-not-because-rosy-economic-forecast

I mention it not because I agree with Gleckman's sentiment, but because it includes a useful explanation of ways Congress is likely to deviate from the proposal and because it includes the concession that the projections in it, as stated, seem sound. Gleckman serves as a useful point of departure for when more loony deficit scolds come out and start lying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/kwestin/status/1400551484547158016?s=20

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1400294276735528964

Has this been posted yet? How is it possible that Gaetz making this worse for himself? I mean I guess sometimes people are just dumb, but still.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Sax Mortar posted:

Has this been posted yet? How is it possible that Gaetz making this worse for himself? I mean I guess sometimes people are just dumb, but still.

quote:

The obstruction inquiry stems from a phone call the witness had with Gaetz’s ex-girlfriend. At some point during the conversation, the ex-girlfriend patched Gaetz into the call, sources said. While it’s unknown exactly what was said, the discussion on that call is central to whether prosecutors can charge Gaetz with obstructing justice, which makes it illegal to suggest that a witness in a criminal case lie or give misleading testimony.

The witness later spoke with prosecutors, the sources said.

The former Gaetz girlfriend who was on the call in question, meanwhile, is seeking an immunity deal from prosecutors and has expressed fears to friends that she too may have run afoul of an obstruction of justice charge. She told friends that she feared the alleged trafficking victim may have recorded her in another phone call.

Though Gaetz’s ex-girlfriend has not signed an immunity deal yet, she might do so by the end of the month, according to insiders with first-hand knowledge of the investigation into Gaetz who say July could be a prime time for the congressman to be indicted if there’s enough evidence against him.

Gaetz apparently isn't the only dumb one in this story.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sax Mortar posted:

He already thinks that he can get away with it--that's why.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

eviltastic posted:

Gaetz apparently isn't the only dumb one in this story.

i wonder if this ex-girlfriend is the sibling of nestor?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1400548625646854144

Hm. On the one hand, this is the right move in a vacuum, given the dangerous poo poo that right-wing politicians post. It also seems like Facebook sticking with its decision to keep Trump banned even after the 6 month period the oversight board gave them to make a final decision. On the other hand, I fully expect this to be used as a cudgel against left-wing politicians for even the slightest non-violent-but-radical sentiment.

Oh so does this mean that they can start algorithimically banning the bigots or what

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

If the feds were investigating me for any reason, whether I was guilty or not, I would immediately get on my best behavior. The hubris of thinking you could sneak one past federal investigators while they are so far up your rear end they know about your colon cancer before your doctor does...it just boggles the mind.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Obviously, Trump's gonna bail him out any second now.

Any second now.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess you could make the following argument:

- There will be a penalty for investigating 1/6 in a "partisan" way (this is incredibly disputable, but let's concede it for this exercise)
- The penalty will be paid by either Biden or Congress
- Congress has elections coming up sooner, and Biden is more generally popular, so it would make more sense for Biden to take the hit.

But... the public perception of Biden probably has as much or more effect on Dems' performance in '22 than the perception of Nancy Pelosi or congress. It's also something that should be investigated by congress. And after all, the executive has been investigating it, in the way the executive branch does: via FBI operations and the DOJ. The "blue ribbon committee report" poo poo is really more of a congressional thing.

I do worry that Biden's above-it-all, "Republicans are our friends" tack, both in the campaign and as POTUS, is beneficial to his own personal popularity, but doesn't do the downticket any favors. (After all, Biden said these are just nice guys who disagree on some issues, right?) There's some stuff in the 2020 results that suggests that's the case. But, like I said, Biden's popularity is pretty important to the downticket, so... :shrug:

The question is in how much being the "good cop" helps Joe, and how much it hurts dems in congress, and how much it helping Joe helps Dems in congress. My guess would be that once you weigh those out, the effect is... pretty negligible. Compared to like, you know, Number, or restrictive voting laws.

To me the reason Biden is handing it off to congress is not because he wants to appear as a "good cop," but because the insurrection had to do with certifying his election so he doesn't want to appear to be a dictator by having his administration directly go after people (wrongfully)challenging the legitimacy of it.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wonder if this ex-girlfriend is the sibling of nestor?

With a huge asterisk, I don't think the timeframe works. Politico says he dated the ex in question 2017-2018, and Nestor was around in 2013.

The huge asterisk being that my sources for that are Politico and Matt Gaetz, so who knows, seems plausible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/grantstern/status/1400087397853970440?s=20

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That's good to hear. Is there likely to be anything done to Desantis about this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

That's good to hear. Is there likely to be anything done to Desantis about this?

Unlikely, but DeSantis had her arrested and her equipment taken, so hopefully at least this will help her in that front.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'm sorry what

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 3, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Froghammer posted:

I'm sorry what

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944200394/florida-agents-raid-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-state-data-scientist

Yup.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I always assumed that what really happened was that after being fired, she posted a goodbye message (or maybe an angry goodbye message) on the internal Slack before her access was removed.

But I haven't really followed up on the case. Anyone know what she's actually accused of doing?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Froghammer posted:

I'm sorry what

Ron Destantis arrested the scientist telling the truth about Covid in Florida as she was releasing data.

Months later places like CNN or others ran stories about how Florida recovered from the pandemic and rose like a Phoenix and poo poo so was Desantis right? Without reference to the arrest of that lady.

Example

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/03/17/politics/ron-desantis-covid-florida/index.html

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 3, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I always assumed that what really happened was that after being fired, she posted a goodbye message (or maybe an angry goodbye message) on the internal Slack before her access was removed.

But I haven't really followed up on the case. Anyone know what she's actually accused of doing?

They siezed her personal equipment, so unlikely. DeSantis was also going well out of his way to silence critics of his cover up of the COVID statistics.

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1336065787900145665?s=20

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Gatts posted:

Ron Destantis arrested the scientist telling the truth about Covid in Florida as she was releasing data.

Months later places like CNN or others ran stories about how Florida recovered from the pandemic and rose like a Phoenix and poo poo so was Desantis right? Without reference to the arrest of that lady.

Example

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/03/17/politics/ron-desantis-covid-florida/index.html

Yeah CNN did a HARD pivot once Trump left to basically being a just this side of nuts right wing place that was posting such hard hitting think pieces like "Was DeSantis right all along?" and poo poo, it was loving gross as gently caress, even for them. And yeah, not a peep about the lady who was arrested for trying to tell the truth.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah every time I saw that "Florida Miracle" poo poo I was like what data are they using because Desantis was straight up arresting people for tracking covid cases

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

may my reign be nasty, brutish, and short
you mean the exact thing biden has done over and over since taking office? remember the gop delegations he invited to talk about the ara?

Didn't take long to get a redtext did it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Getting really tired of this nonsense

https://twitter.com/garretthaake/status/1400572523985747976?s=21

It was what, a week ago that Manchin’s promised 10 votes from the GOP didn’t come to pass on the 1/6 bill?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah every time I saw that "Florida Miracle" poo poo I was like what data are they using because Desantis was straight up arresting people for tracking covid cases

Got to set up the horse races early and show you are balanced by ignoring negative press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was what, a week ago that Manchin’s promised 10 votes from the GOP didn’t come to pass on the 1/6 bill?

It does seem weird that so many of the people doing the voting for large sections of the populace seem to be toddlers and possess no object permanence.