Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you don't mind waiting for the 3.0 box to drop you will almost assuredly be able to part out the Ork half and walk away with a big chunk of a playable army for drat near free. I did this with the current Soul Wars starter set as a birthday gift for a buddy who wanted to play Stormcast, and aside from an hour or two of putting up listings / mailing stuff off I think I actually made a small profit by keeping the Stormcast and parting out the Nighthaunt lol.

It hadn't even occurred to me that they're doing a new starter box! I'll keep an eye on that and hold off for now. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The quality of models from AOS releases over the past year and a half has been stellar. It's a great time to get into the game if you want really cool models to paint.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/03/how-warhammer-age-of-sigmars-new-edition-turns-monsters-and-heroes-up-to-11/

Time for another rules preview, this time looking at heroes and monsters.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Idk if its just me but those hero rules seem like a huge gift to Blades of Khorne since you now have even more ways to flip off wizards and turn your heroes into combat monsters

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

They already nerfed the skaven its over

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The fact that you can use these actions in the opponent's turn is very nice. I was hoping they would be more command points and hopefully, they don't carry over to the next round, but we'll see.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Thank god they showed these cos i was writing the OP for the new thread and had no idea what to put in for the monster buffs section.

Edit: If the idea is to make combat heroes better and buff heroes a little less of the optimal choice then I'm kinda down for it. Every hero being able to potentially unbind is nice for factions that lack in the wizardry department.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
ohohoho

monsters can gently caress up faction terrain

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Der Waffle Mous posted:

ohohoho

monsters can gently caress up faction terrain
:getin:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

rip gnawholes

I'm not too worked up about it though, I've come to terms with the fact that current GW won't show Skaven much love.

I know this is just a 'caught in the crossfire' type thing and not aimed at Skaven, but I was not happy with their battletome and the nerfs faqs that followed it. So I can't see them getting anything to compensate (like a spell/ability to spawn a new gnawhole)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

was foolishly hoping Radukar the Beast would have a dual hero/monster designation

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

DLC Inc posted:

was foolishly hoping Radukar the Beast would have a dual hero/monster designation

Prince Vhordrai/VLoZD, the two Mortarchs, and Vengorian Lord/Lauka Vai are all Hero/Monster combos if it helps!

Having 3 or 4 hero/monster combo seems like a good way to max out those abilities in general

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's so trivial to destroy faction terrain that it almost feels intended to convince people to leave them at home lol

Granted they're still free and take up space which is good, but if I hadn't already assembled and painted my Gnawholes there's no way in hell I'd start now

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Deepkin terrain exists to take up space so lol. Hopefully the ability to create new gnawholes gets put in, or there's some FAQ ruling or something.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That terrain rule is not so bad since you still need to have a monster and roll a die. Also, since my main army doesn't have faction terrain, I'm loving it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

It's almost like it might require more thought than "plop it as close to an objective as it lets you because your opponent can't do anything about it" now.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like these heroic & monstrous abilities. I think they're neat :) .

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

as a skaven player I really think the only known bad thing about the new edition so far is the slight change to Look Out Sir! that makes it so the Screaming Bell won't get it anymore. If anything I'm pretty interested in the generic battalions for the army since the Skaventide book batallions had cool theming but were not great.

destroying gnawholes sucks but after a while I learned that putting gnawholes in my opponent's backfield was generally useless anyway and stopping doing it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, the terrain is free, gives you a benefit and the monster has to end up in melee range with it at the end of the charge phase. If you're careful about unit placement it could easily lead to your terrain tanking a combat round from a monster which seems more than worth it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder if this means more factions will get Monster-class characters. I guess that Kruleboy riding an Ogre thing is their Monster?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I wonder if this means more factions will get Monster-class characters. I guess that Kruleboy riding an Ogre thing is their Monster?

None of the GG trolls are monsters so it'd be a bit odd for the Kruleboy one to be

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I hope so, I play clan Skryre so no monsters for me.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I want a giant Sigmarite piloted by 5 different people like a power rangers mech. When it explodes you get to roll a D6 to see how many people survive and get to fight again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I hope so, I play clan Skryre so no monsters for me.

isn't that big hulking fleshblob thing from the Skaven a monster unit? Though iirc it's loving expensive to find these days

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I want a giant Sigmarite piloted by 5 different people like a power rangers mech. When it explodes you get to roll a D6 to see how many people survive and get to fight again.

no joke but I would love some kind of Stormcast power ranger automaton, would legit be the most incredible poo poo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

I would love some kind of Stormcast power ranger automaton, would legit be the most incredible poo poo.

It's gonna be a golem with a stormcast pilot in a baby carrier.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DLC Inc posted:

They seem pretty happy with Destruction factions having default access to giants so far.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Greater Daemons being both monsters and heroes seem like huge winners also

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

isn't that big hulking fleshblob thing from the Skaven a monster unit? Though iirc it's loving expensive to find these days

That's Thanquil and Boneripper, and it's from Masterclan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Winklebottom posted:

None of the GG trolls are monsters so it'd be a bit odd for the Kruleboy one to be

He's a bit bigger then the other Troggs so I could seem him being a monster.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

Hell pit abomination is clan Moulder, which you can’t take if you want the skryre goodies. It’s actually probably the main dumb thing they did with the skaventide book. They deliberately made it anti-synergistic, and have ultra strict siloing of the clans instead. If it hadn’t been for that, I think it would have been a decent book.

It makes some fluff sense, if it was written by someone who didn’t know skaven very well, since the clans absolutely hate each other, but it’s also really stupid, because literally every skaven book has them threatening, cajoling, blackmailing other clans into doing poo poo for them, and manipulating each other to send their guys in first and so on.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I wouldn't say the clans are "ultra strict silo". You can (and should) mish mash them together as you still get every clan benefit. The only actual restriction is that if you want non-clanrat battleline you have go strict solo clan.

Battletome Skaventide has issues and needs to be rewritten to be more like the Cities of Sigmar book imo, but I wouldn't say its a bad book. It was very powerful when it came out and had a pretty good run for a while in 2019, but got consecutive small nerfs and fell behind the power curve over the course of 2020.

I have no idea what they do with the army in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Eshin and Moulder and half of Skryre become Legends at some point. Its a weird model line.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Being able to roar to block command abilities seems like a very useful addition to the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want more and more monsters just so there can be giant kaiju Monster Hunter turf wars in the midst of smaller units fighting tbh

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Preorder date for Dominion will be announced tomorrow (bottom of article).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/04/how-age-of-sigmars-dominion-boxed-set-draws-on-40-years-of-warhammer-history/

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

With more focus on monsters, are any of the "oops all monsters" lists any good? I like the idea of a bunch of dragons or toothy lizards making up most of a list. I'm not super familiar with the rules behind them, but I know this concept has been allowed in the rules as lizardman stegadon herds, Gristlegore ghouls, those vampire-centaurs, etc. I don't really like ogres or giants since they're just tall, wrinkley grandpas at the end of the day.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The Malthusian posted:

With more focus on monsters, are any of the "oops all monsters" lists any good? I like the idea of a bunch of dragons or toothy lizards making up most of a list. I'm not super familiar with the rules behind them, but I know this concept has been allowed in the rules as lizardman stegadon herds, Gristlegore ghouls, those vampire-centaurs, etc. I don't really like ogres or giants since they're just tall, wrinkley grandpas at the end of the day.

they're all very fun to play but unless the army has rules that let their big boys count as several models on objectives (Ogor Mawtribes, Sons of Behemat) you have to be able to table your opponent's army quickly to actually win games consistently. Gristlegore can pull it off in some match ups. Otherwise you kinda just lose some battleplans and tend to be heavily disadvantaged against horde armies.

I wouldn't let that discourage you from a cool idea though. Big monster armies tend to look cool and are fun to play with/against.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

yeah there's a reason Anvilgard tends to be my go-to army for super casual or intro games.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

quote:

Dominion will be ready to pre-order from the 19th of June and will be in-stores on the 3rd of July.
Almost here!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/05/dominion-release-date-revealed-find-out-when-you-can-pre-order-the-ultimate-launch-box/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I got my Kragnos box today. It's heavy.

You get like 4 different options for his face, which is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furism posted:

I got my Kragnos box today. It's heavy.

You get like 4 different options for his face, which is pretty nice.

I think you can also point his head in different directions.