Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

AndyElusive posted:

How many of you painting goons post things from here on Instaham?

I recently started a public mini painting only account and I'd like to follow you guys.

I only post occasionally in this thread, but here is my insta. slowly working through some 2nd ed space wolves. I also don't know how to link to my profile so here is a single post

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPYruQBK4m/?utm_medium=copy_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

I recently started a public mini painting only account and I'd like to follow you guys.

I put pictures up as @francomakethings but often crosspost to here.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

AndyElusive posted:

I post my stuff @colourblind.painting

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you guys feel about painting the Fallout Wasteland Warfare and A Song of Ice and Fire board games? Has anyone painted those here

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Added, added, added aaaaand added. I'm @theshieldthatslays

Anyone else feel free to keep posting user names!

Love having a completely hobby dedicated Instagram feed that I can go to and see amazing models 24/7.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
I've been painting and posting little mens under @myminiproblem

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I also have a hobby-exclusive ‘gram as @themininewbie

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Furism posted:

Given all the folds and stuff I would have tried a very, very light dry brush, over and over until I get it right/to taste, rather than a highlight.

ive thought it over and youre definitely right. Especially since its cloth.

Is careful drybrushing a common highlighting technique?

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you guys feel about painting the Fallout Wasteland Warfare and A Song of Ice and Fire board games? Has anyone painted those here

I painted the Wasteland Warfare box which is PVC minis and I've painted a box of the resin minis. The PVC ones weren't better than I've experienced with other PVC minis and had decent detail.

Here are the ones from the starter box:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AndyElusive posted:

i post all my stuff here but im also taking new pics of my old stuff since i got a better camera set up

https://www.instagram.com/porblegames/

im also gonna follow everyone else

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

ive thought it over and youre definitely right. Especially since its cloth.

Is careful drybrushing a common highlighting technique?

Sometimes, it depends on what you're going for. If you're trying for a clean, precise look like the 'eavy metal style then no. But for organic stuff like rocks, cloth, skin, fur, etc then yeah. Also can be done to make for worn out metal. I abuse the technique to make my stuff look cold.

Like all highlighting, you can just do a single color but if you build up to the brightest color on the highest spots (or spots where light will catch the most) you can create a shitload of depth very easily and with almost no real mechanical skill involved.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AndyElusive posted:

im uh im @angel_giraldez

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Removed, because I am dumb.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 4, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cat Face Joe posted:

im uh im @angel_giraldez

Oh I’m glad you’re here I had a couple of criticisms of your latest work

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nobody probably cares but here's a quick and easy way to get super good fur via drybrushing, or really just how to step up your drybrushing game. My photos are kinda bad and lazy but it's a really simple and fast method.

Realistically you can do this with just two colors (like black and white to make a greyscale) and mixing them in 1:4, 2:3, 1:1, 3:2, 4:1 steps to go across the gradient. Or you can be lazy like me and buy a set of paints that are in a gradient you like. In this case I want a dark brown fur with white tips for highlights and around the face of the pelt to make it look like an old animal's fur. I added pure white to this at the end because I didn't think it was bright enough.

Note before starting: Use a cheap makeup brush with soft bristles. Make sure the brush is as dry as possible and the bristles are moderately clean. Don't clean your brush with water in between colors. Try to clean it off on a paper towel in between colors if you really want. Not cleaning the brush actually helps doing gradients a little bit as you can mix paint on the brush this way by adding a little bit of color B then mixing on a paper towel, then adding a little more of color B then mixing on a paper towel, etc to taste.

Paint everything your darkest color. This is color 0.

Heavy drybrush your first color. Just make it go everywhere except for the deep recesses. Move the brush in every direction. Up/down, left/right, diagonal etc.

Second color but less aggro. Still moving in a bunch of directions and over everything but with a lighter (but still lazy) touch.

Third color, but only using downstrokes to catch surfaces facing up. Medium touch,

Fourth color. Light touch. Only using downstrokes again

Last colors, do this to taste. Super light touch on only the areas you want bright.

Now all that's left for this decoration is to pick out the runestones and gemstones.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I'm taking photos of models that are varnished. Even with matte varnish, they have some sheen to them. (Usually I take photos before varnishing but my set up was not so good back then)

Is there a way to take photos of varnished minis and have them still look great?

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm taking photos of models that are varnished. Even with matte varnish, they have some sheen to them. (Usually I take photos before varnishing but my set up was not so good back then)

Is there a way to take photos of varnished minis and have them still look great?

Maybe if the light were diffused enough. Couple sheets of parchment paper over your lights, and move them far back from the mini. Then really slow shutter speed in a dark room.
Are you using cell or DSLR for photos?

My insta is:
https://www.instagram.com/_skails/

Post more WIPs and unpainted projects on there.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lots of new follows! I'm at @lasting.damage

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I really should get some makeup brushes for drybrushing I'm starting to realize after starting to work on my 40k Valkyrie. My AP brush is both getting a bit worn, and it's a bit too small to drybrush a vehicle with.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess I'll add my instagram

https://www.instagram.com/goodenoughpainting

Maybe I'll try painting a bit faster, too...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I entered my local GW's diorama competition and came in second. Very pleased, especially since I thought the third place entry was better than mine and first place was way above my painting level. No real prize, other than getting to display in their shop window, but it was fun trying something new.

First:

Second:

Third:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

I entered my local GW's diorama competition and came in second. Very pleased, especially since I thought the third place entry was better than mine and first place was way above my painting level. No real prize, other than getting to display in their shop window, but it was fun trying something new.

First:

Second:

Third:

These are all pretty sick. I think they were fairly judged though. yours is definitely better than 3rd place. 1st place is something else though drat.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3rd’s terrain is really beautiful but your models are painted much nicer. imo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is entry #1 all wet blending do you think?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks for the kind words.

punishedkissinger posted:

Is entry #1 all wet blending do you think?

That'd be my guess but I'm not sure.

Some more angles:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
All those dioramas are slick. :)

Continuing the instagram thread:

@krigetkommer

E: for content

I recently went back to my childhood first wargaming love, which is WHFB and Orcs & Goblins. I bought a medium sized work lot second hand, mostly 4th ed to 6th ed but also some Marauder era minis.

Now, not all of them are complete. One unit consisted of the multipart goblins, but with switched out weapons (dwarven hammers, elven swords etc). Also, some did not have weapons at all. Or hands. What is a Waaagh leader to do?

Well, you turn them into pirates, I guess. Here's a champion with a hook for a hand, with his standard bearer. After last nights work, I'll probably go hog wild and put some pirate hats, squig parrots and similar on these, the stranded crew of a doomed goblin ship.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 4, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I have a lot of plaid and tartan in my future!

Are there any really good guides out there? I'm just winging it and then washing it. It's working so far, but I feel like there's a better way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

I have a lot of plaid and tartan in my future!

Are there any really good guides out there? I'm just winging it and then washing it. It's working so far, but I feel like there's a better way.

I painted a ton of tartan for my South African Cape Town Highlanders.

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/cape-town-highlanders-part-3

Paint one colour at a time. In my case, I painted the dark blue first, highlighted it, then painted the green stripes, highlighted them, and finally did the yellow stripes. These of course depends on which kinds of patterns you're going for, but I found it easiest to start with the colour covering the most area and go towards the thinner lines.

For 28mm scale, I'd choose a relatively simple pattern such as the one I did. Just doing a big base colour with a medium sized cross pattern with a thinner line in the middle will be relatively simple and still "read" as a proper tartan. You don't need to try to paint the much thinner lines inbetween.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks, and those looks great! I think you're right about just needing enough lines to make the eye read "tartan." Your pattern looks simplified on each individual, but works perfectly in a group.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tossing my IG on here too, why not! Haven't added anything in ages because I was away from all my painting stuff for work, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into it this month!

https://www.instagram.com/the_painted_blade/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cat Face Joe posted:

im uh im @angel_giraldez

Jesus loving Christ your work is something else. Totally going to follow a few of your Youtube tutorials too.

Winklebottom posted:

First:

Second:

Third:

I'm just a lovely painter but I think one way you could have improved your diorama was to use more blue on the terrain - to kind of bring it all together. Every model has got a (very nice, mind) touch of blue, but not the terrain itself. It would have added an eerie feeling to the scene, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the impression at all that I could create something anywhere as good as what you did.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Furism posted:

I'm just a lovely painter but I think one way you could have improved your diorama was to use more blue on the terrain - to kind of bring it all together. Every model has got a (very nice, mind) touch of blue, but not the terrain itself. It would have added an eerie feeling to the scene, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the impression at all that I could create something anywhere as good as what you did.

Good eye, you're totally right. I'm currently basing a bunch of grots painted in the same scheme and I'm trying out drybrushing the grit with various blues since I found the standard grey a bit boring.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does anybody have any good technique/tutorial for painting "parchment-like" bits? I'm doing a Lord Relictor and I can't seem to get the flying parchment things he has got flying around right, it seems.

For instance, how do I get them to look like this? The "runes" are very dark but the paper is very light. Am I supposed to pin wash every rune with ink or something?

Same for his helmet skull. I get it either too bright, or just looking like a regular skull. :(

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My go-to for parchment is ulthuan grey then wash with sepia.

That specific example looks like they used a brown wash and selectively put it inside the script 'holes'.

For bone I do something like ushabti bone, wash with sepia, go back over all but the recesses with bone, then highlight with an off-white

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

What’s the consensus on Munitorum Varnish? I’ve never varnished my models before and I’m rather nervous of having all the effort I’ve put into Magnus ruined by frosting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Furism posted:

Does anybody have any good technique/tutorial for painting "parchment-like" bits? I'm doing a Lord Relictor and I can't seem to get the flying parchment things he has got flying around right, it seems.

For instance, how do I get them to look like this? The "runes" are very dark but the paper is very light. Am I supposed to pin wash every rune with ink or something?

Same for his helmet skull. I get it either too bright, or just looking like a regular skull. :(

Khaki like zandri dust, drybrush a medium off-white like a sand color, then a brighter off white then wash with a sepia.

I like drybrushing. :)

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lord Ludikrous posted:

What’s the consensus on Munitorum Varnish? I’ve never varnished my models before and I’m rather nervous of having all the effort I’ve put into Magnus ruined by frosting.

Munitorum Varnish has been rock solid for me every time I use it. The quality has been really consistent, it dries very tough and clear, and its even a bit forgiving with the application. That said its insanely expensive and also has a satin not matte finish, so eh its a land of contrasts.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Furism posted:

Jesus loving Christ your work is something else. Totally going to follow a few of your Youtube tutorials too.

Are you making a joke here and I’m missing it? Cuz the linked account is one of the more famous/talented painters in the mini industry and I suspect Cat Face Joe is not actually them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm a big fan of Rakarth Flesh as a base for bone - it has a subtle olive tone to it that works really well for an aged bone look. Don't forget to go for a whiter shade on the teeth - it's a tiny detail that really sells it as a skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TotalHell posted:

Are you making a joke here and I’m missing it? Cuz the linked account is one of the more famous/talented painters in the mini industry and I suspect Cat Face Joe is not actually them.

Are you now joking?