Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

More or less popular than the clones?

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

More or less popular than the clones?
:hmmyes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The core problem with Wookieepedia is they decided to treat it as if it all really did happen IRL, a long time ago and Wookieepedia is a legit IRL encyclopedia. This is why you get absolutely necessary super-detailed explanation of what breasts are and which characters have them and how many.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think the 40K wiki Lexicanum took the in-universe approach too but I don’t remember that wiki being bonkers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DigitalRaven posted:

So the thing with Star Wars is that it was actually the licensed RPG that first created so many of the details that were later fleshed out in novels and other bits of the EU; the RPG writers were given a very broad licence to create new things that became part of the Star Wars universe and it was published before the EU was a thing — to the point that people writing novels etc. were given a set of the RPG books as references.

Which, as an RPG author, is kinda cool.

And it bares mentioning that even to this day David Filoni grabs from the old West End Games stuff with both hands.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact about the Alien RPG: there’s a character named after me in the latest expansion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
why'd it take an expansion to put a xenomorph in alien?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DoctorWhat posted:

why'd it take an expansion to put a xenomorph in alien?

No I mean, there’s a character named after my real life name :v: I am described as “brazen” and “incompetent” :suicide:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

No I mean, there’s a character named after my real life name :v: I am described as “brazen” and “incompetent” :suicide:

But what about in the game?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Xenomrph posted:

I am described as “brazen” and “incompetent” :suicide:

But enough about kickstarter supporters amirite

that's pretty rad

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've been going through agonizing searches for an alternator for a very unique car from a dead carmaker, and have become stupidly knowledgeable about the specific part numbers and what will and won't fit my car.

The downside of this is that now eBay thinks I'm collecting Alternators and Binaltech again and showing me every listing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I figured out how they could update Prowl for the current ACAB era

From now on he transforms into a park ranger vehicle

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Prowl is a bastard though

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Here's how you can update prowl:

He's a decepticon

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Here's how you can update prowl:

He's a decepticon

No, he should stay an Autobot, just as an authoritarian thug. Make him and Barricade mirror images for character development. Have Barricade constantly taunt him with "you're 99% a Decepticon anyway, why not wear the badge"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silhouette posted:

Prowl is a bastard though

In one continuity out of many

There’s perfectly valid instances of him being a perfectly decent dude, like Animated and the G1 cartoon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not to mention this is also making it so they don’t have to sell cop cars in what is obstensibly the hero faction in a kids’ toyline

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

In one continuity out of many

There’s perfectly valid instances of him being a perfectly decent dude, like Animated and the G1 cartoon.

Animated Prowl has basically nothing in common with G1 Prowl outside of name and having the same type of forehead chevron

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Animated Prowl has basically nothing in common with G1 Prowl outside of name and having the same type of forehead chevron

Still a valid version of the character

And G1 Prowl himself is, as I said, a perfectly decent dude

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
All the Autobots are cops, if we want to go there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My Exhuast is cool and good and I like him. In particular the hands are black plastic, so the car shell is painted white but slightly different to the white plastic parts, so it's a bit yellower and it's like he's got smoker's fingers :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's supposed to be that the Autobots are only part cops and the rest are working schlubs who had to take up arms on the spur of the moment to fight for their freedom, but every attempt at fleshing out pre-war Cybertron just winds up making all the important characters into cops because nobody respects the idea of only fighting because you have to.

Which is kind of up there with how the Autobots are the underdogs in the original cartoon, but for a while now every new continuity has had the Autobots starting way ahead and more powerful than the Decepticons. Except I guess for Beast Machines.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I agree and endorse this

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burkion posted:

I agree and endorse this
Ignoring the fact he got the idea from the sonic thread re: power rangers, isn't Hound the one that maybe should go that way?

Naturalist work kinda clashes with Prowl's character in other ways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

Ignoring the fact he got the idea from the sonic thread re: power rangers, isn't Hound the one that maybe should go that way?

Naturalist work kinda clashes with Prowl's character in other ways.

The fact that it's an homage to Power Rangers where they decided to change a cop character into a park ranger because ACAB is why I'm all for it

I didn't know that spilled into the sonic thread tho

Hound could be a sand buggy type or-

Huh. So we're getting, supposedly, a Jurassic Park tie in right? Can we get a Hound done up as a JP Jeep?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

Can we get a Hound done up as a JP Jeep?

Christ I would kill for this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

Ignoring the fact he got the idea from the sonic thread re: power rangers

I'm not a "he" and I didn't get it from the Sonic thread. I wasn't thinking of the PR character either.

I'm also good with demilitarizing Hound.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not a "he"
Apologies.

Anyway Prowl needs to be something urban and having a universally positive sentiment. But I'm not sure, even in the 80s, he fell into that camp. As a white dude whose last conversation with a cop was being warned about a dude with a crossbow, my perspective is probably way skewed. Maybe Prowl always had that edge and a bunch of us are just waking up to that.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Retcon Prowl into an RV that gives food and drink to the poor like the outreach vehicles in my city

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Turn Prowl into the Cybertronian version of the MIB, desperately trying to hide the existence of these small, weirdly fleshy aliens from the good citizens of Iacon.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guess what! If you're not careful, you can snap SS86 Scourge's beard right the gently caress off on his collar if you're not careful when transforming him.

Luckily Mrs. Rainbowbeard had a pretty close match for the underside of the beard area with her nail polishes, so it doesn't look so bad.

Also... it's not so much that ACAB, it's that oathbreakers are scum. Cops aren't Judge Dredd and it's vile that some of them think or act like they are, much less are allowed to get away with it. There will always be some form of cop as long as humans congregate in groups, sad to say.

I'd say, explore it with Prowl. Give him conflict but make the difference between him and Barricade be that Prowl won't cross the line. In this new continuity, anyway. He's a complete bastard in the last continuity, no argument there.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Or just make the IDW characterization the default in all media from this point forward. He's a colossal shitbag.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Or just make the IDW characterization the default in all media from this point forward. He's a colossal shitbag.

I'd rather rehabilitate a character than condemn him to being stuck in one canon's stilted portrayal

also, you know, it'd be better for the target audience like I said; like I said, it'd result in not selling a police car in the hero faction to kids

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 4, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Cops aren't Judge Dredd and it's vile that some of them think or act like they are, much less are allowed to get away with it.
Judge Dredd actually goes after corrupt Judges harder than average citizens who do crime. It's weird as hell that he's actually a "good cop" by 21st century standards in reality too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I think most new incarnations of the franchise should have room to define any most of their characters on their own terms.

Prowl was really great for the purpose he was used in the IDW comic, as the morally dubious guy in Autobot high command to balance out Optimus's ridiculous level of moral purity in IDW's more mature take on the franchise with a lot of realpolitik and even a sympathetic justification for the Decepticons starting the war in the first place. Also a lot of the worst stuff Prowl did may have also been the result of mind control, but it was never really clear how much. Prowl as the administrative paperwork guy dipping into really shady stuff is a really neat take that I like better than the normal "Wolverine" approach to introducing a morally questionable character where they just introduce a guy with the right goals but just goes "too far" or is "too violent in doing what should be the right thing" but in a way where it's kinda cool how much of a bad boy the character is (which I think they also did with Grimlock and Impactor). It's much more of a statement to just say that you can't run a war without actively choosing to do bad things.

The franchise probably won't ever go full ACAB though, not just because of any political leanings, but because for kids playing with toy cars, cop cars are one of the most distinct options, so anything that goes for a while will wind up with a cop car in the line.

Animated does come close to cutting out cop cars though. Except Bumblebee is actually the Commissioner's car.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Arquinsiel posted:

Judge Dredd actually goes after corrupt Judges harder than average citizens who do crime. It's weird as hell that he's actually a "good cop" by 21st century standards in reality too.

Yeah. Dredd is harsh as poo poo but he absolutely believes in and adheres to the law and bases his decisions purely around it. It shows how much things suck now that what was a character who was (is) an absolutely horrific idea of law enforcement at the time of his creation currently comes off as improvement over the real thing because he does at least follow the letter of the law fairly without bias.

It's kind of why, as great as the film was, Dredd giving Anderson a pass at the end was completely out of character and spoils it somewhat. Because even though she saved his life and was instrumental in destroying one of MC1's nastiest gangs, she still lost her weapon so it's an automatic fail as far as he and the law are concerned.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah. Dredd is harsh as poo poo but he absolutely believes in and adheres to the law and bases his decisions purely around it. It shows how much things suck now that what was a character who was (is) an absolutely horrific idea of law enforcement at the time of his creation currently comes off as improvement over the real thing because he does at least follow the letter of the law fairly without bias.

It's kind of why, as great as the film was, Dredd giving Anderson a pass at the end was completely out of character and spoils it somewhat. Because even though she saved his life and was instrumental in destroying one of MC1's nastiest gangs, she still lost her weapon so it's an automatic fail as far as he and the law are concerned.

Anderson did not lose her primary weapon, her brain.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have a bunch of figures from that era of japanese beast wars, including longrack. i bought them as like a loose bulk lot from early ebay. from memory they include:

- a penguin who has a missile launcher mode, which is just the penguin with a handle popped out and a missile sticking out of his rear end, which can be held by the big mammoth optimus.
- a rabbit called stampy whose ears let him turn into a scissor weapon where you pull his tail and his ears chomp inwards. in robot mode this lets him do a powerful shrug
- a cool snake with a very articulated tail
- my favourite, an ammonite made of pearl white plastic, with pink and purple deco.

all of them are the most outrageous shellformers, and all of them have their beast kibble on little ball joints that pop off. i have them in a big box all mixed together somewhere and its gonna be a herculean effort to reunite all the severed beast parts with their owners

My Internet's been down for the last couple of days so I started rooting around an old harddrive with comics. Despite not really caring about Beast Wars I still had four issues of character bios published by IDW in 06. After scrolling through them my main takeaway is that BW has som truly stupid names, the aforementioned Stampy being one.
By far my favourite is Tasmania Kid. Is there a single Transformer over all the years the brand has existed that has a name as poo poo as Tasmania Kid? I know it was the mid 90's and all but loving hell.
At least he turns into a tasmanian devil and that's pretty cool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stampy and Tasmania Kid (who is the Takara release of BW Snarl) are both Japanese, from the people who brought you train micromasters named Alan, Joe, and San Diego

(I know that last one has lately been transliterated as San D-Go and I do not care)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Burkion posted:

Hound could be a sand buggy type or-

Huh. So we're getting, supposedly, a Jurassic Park tie in right? Can we get a Hound done up as a JP Jeep?

The JP Crossover supposedly does have a vehicle in it so that would have to be Hound as a JP Jeep or Trailbreaker as a JP tour SUV.