Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's also worth pointing out that places that aren't amazon have those turntables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I got mine from Best Buy. I still gave money to a huge corporation; it just wasn't the most evil one. :P

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Residents update:

:hellyeah:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

None needed, it's a silly message board and I took nothing by it. I probably should've been less snarky with my original post, too.

You can have some awesome Pioneer speakers if you want. :downsrim:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Residents update:

:hellyeah:

I'm still not sure if I want to do venues anytime soon but would you say a Resident show is fun for someone who's just a casual fan? I think they have a Boston show coming up in the next few months.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw them, and all I could think of was the Farmer’s Cow from Home Movies.

Edit: I mean the Wizard’s Baker

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The live Ventures album has part of a superb version of Caravan. Here's the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRXyWvyZJoA
Sweet Jesus, that solo. Why they cut to shots of Japan instead of showing Mel Taylor doing his thing is beyond me, but I love when they finally do cut back to the man after five goddamn minutes and he's still cool as the other side of the pillow.

Thanks for sharing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jury duty rules. One time I sat fir a case where some guy was passed out in his car at a VFW in park but with the engine on and in the roadway out of the VFW parking lot but not on the street yet, so still on private property. He got roughed up by the cops, but was it a DUI???? Not guilty! He wasn’t on a public way! Maybe next time cops!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I'm still not sure if I want to do venues anytime soon but would you say a Resident show is fun for someone who's just a casual fan? I think they have a Boston show coming up in the next few months.
Realistically, The Singing Resident's up there in age and it might be the last tour, that's good enough for me to say absolutely go see them (but then again that's what I've said for the last three tours). I think you'd get a kick out of it, live Residents are a completely different animal than what's on record. The tone from tour to tour varies, but it's always deeply rooted in confrontation and mostly delivered via anguished scream. My favorite scream. This tour's broken into two halves which includes an entire re-writing of Duck Stab, it's probably a good entry point in a way. The other half is the Dyin' Dog material, which is just wall-to-wall sex and violence, it's gonna rule.

They're doing a virtual concert on Nite Flight Plus this weekend (just the Duck Stab material I think), it'll probably be a good way to gauge your interest.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Realistically, The Singing Resident's up there in age and it might be the last tour, that's good enough for me to say absolutely go see them (but then again that's what I've said for the last three tours). I think you'd get a kick out of it, live Residents are a completely different animal than what's on record. The tone from tour to tour varies, but it's always deeply rooted in confrontation and mostly delivered via anguished scream. My favorite scream. This tour's broken into two halves which includes an entire re-writing of Duck Stab, it's probably a good entry point in a way. The other half is the Dyin' Dog material, which is just wall-to-wall sex and violence, it's gonna rule.

They're doing a virtual concert on Nite Flight Plus this weekend (just the Duck Stab material I think), it'll probably be a good way to gauge your interest.

I just generally like kooky wacky shows but I don't know much of their material and what I do know is from the 70s/80s. I was wondering whether or not its inaccessible to normies (or as much of a normie as I could ever be considered). The other day my brother called me to tell me that Mac Sabbath is coming here.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I just generally like kooky wacky shows but I don't know much of their material and what I do know is from the 70s/80s. I was wondering whether or not its inaccessible to normies
The shows tend to be designed to be across-the-board inaccessible to everyone in certain ways. Even when they tour for particular albums the music gets heavily re-written with lots of room for improvising - the setlist is fixed, but all the shows sound different. Everything is vaguely familiar yet unrecognizable, but it's always bad vibes and pure viscera. I think it's gonna be a blast. :allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The shows tend to be designed to be across-the-board inaccessible to everyone in certain ways. Even when they tour for particular albums the music gets heavily re-written with lots of room for improvising - the setlist is fixed, but all the shows sound different. Everything is vaguely familiar yet unrecognizable, but it's always bad vibes and pure viscera. I think it's gonna be a blast. :allears:

Turns out it doesn't matter because the tickets are already sold out. Booooooooo.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Download code for Feed Me Weird Things remaster:

https://bleep.com/redeem/sqpr-fmwt
FIHiCbuZ

crank it high and upset your neighbours

the new release is a great pressing btw, well worth picking up

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 4, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just ordered from newbury comics, thanks for the heads up!

Turnover - Peripheral Vision Exclusive LP (Pinwheel)
Silversun Pickups - Swoon & Canvas newbury limited print (just released today 2 limit per vinyl/order)
LDR - Born To Die LP
MCR- Life On The Murder Scene LP
Chvrches - Love Is Dead LP (Clear)
Vundabar - Either Light Exclusive LP

and of course the Weezer blue album. I was almost tempted to get two copies of each Silversun Pickups albums. Had to stop and ask myself what I was doing. Not about to start hoarding limited/rare vinyl.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I just generally like kooky wacky shows but I don't know much of their material and what I do know is from the 70s/80s. I was wondering whether or not its inaccessible to normies (or as much of a normie as I could ever be considered). The other day my brother called me to tell me that Mac Sabbath is coming here.

Never seen Mac Sabbath but the opener Lung is pretty good if you dig cello + drum duos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Love is Dead is marked sold out now, so you probably got the last one. I have that record but zero recollection as to whether it's clear or what. Super looking forward to their new album, and still kick myself I missed them live years ago because it sold out just before I tried to get a ticket.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love is Dead is marked sold out now, so you probably got the last one. I have that record but zero recollection as to whether it's clear or what. Super looking forward to their new album, and still kick myself I missed them live years ago because it sold out just before I tried to get a ticket.

hoping it was the last one, and I don't get a message they were OOS after all (a common tune when buying vinyl online)

Speaking of clear, A Beacon School had a clear release of cola. You can get the regular release for $20 on amazon now, I think. Really kicking myself for not getting the clear one before they sold out.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cola-Beaco...&sr=8-1&x=0&y=0

it's really vinyl everyone should have in their collection. While listening, you never know where you are in the album. It's quite literally the perfect album to kick on in the morning to start your day/do some chores. Might just be in my top 5 albums of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwrdWV3RDiQ

these movie clips are from the movie Submarine which has the same actor as The Fundamentals of Caring (2016). Whatta classic. Great coming of age movie

seriously though check out A Beacon School y'all! I promise you will like the song above

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 4, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
good vinyl deals on amazon canada are few and far between, so mentioning Enter The 36 Chambers is 50% off @15 bucks today on amazon.ca

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Finally got notification ITDIB After dark 3 is shipping. Not my longest wait so far (that goes to weekend house of balloons that doesn't ship till 2022) and not in my fav color.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Polyvinyl is doing a sale right now on stuff. They're also offering deeper discounts on records with slightly damaged covers if you can live with that and test pressings if you want to spend entirely too much money on a record.

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/garagesale

:frogsiren:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat I think that's the second time! I need a gang tag for the cone of shame

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Polyvinyl is doing a sale right now on stuff. They're also offering deeper discounts on records with slightly damaged covers if you can live with that and test pressings if you want to spend entirely too much money on a record.

Thanks bro, spent another $58 of my savings bro. Big time broage.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wew that 150 dollar test pressing of reptilain by strfkr.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Beach Boys Detail Massive 1969-1971 Era Box Set, Share ‘Big Sur’

quote:

The five-CD and digital box set features newly remastered versions of the albums alongside 108 previously unreleased tracks, live recordings, radio promos, alternate versions, alternate mixes, isolated backing tracks, and a cappella renditions. Curated by Mark Linett and Alan Boyd, the team who assembled 2013’s SMiLE Sessions, they culled the tracks from the albums’ sessions.

In addition to the full box set, it will also be released in abbreviated versions, including a four-LP set on black vinyl and limited edition translucent blue and translucent gold color vinyl. It will also be available in two-LP black vinyl and two-CD editions.

$125 on Amazon. Dammit.

Among the new finds on this thing are Big Sur, My Solution and what may be the long-rumored, but never released version of 'Til I Die with Mike Love-forced uplifting lyrics.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I thought that said "Big Slur" at first and was wondering if the beach boys started pandering to MAGA chuds.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I thought that said "Big Slur" at first and was wondering if the beach boys started pandering to MAGA chuds.

Brian Wilson Disavows Mike Love’s Beach Boys Playing Trump Fundraiser (Al Jardine disavowed it, too). Mike Love's been pandering to chuds since at least Reagan.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mike Love being a Chud checks out.

Waxwork just announced they're doing the soundtrack to The Sparks Brothers as a 4 LP set. :rock:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Brian Wilson Disavows Mike Love’s Beach Boys Playing Trump Fundraiser (Al Jardine disavowed it, too). Mike Love's been pandering to chuds since at least Reagan.

I never liked them anyway. And Kokomo should be considered a war crime.

caligulamprey posted:

Mike Love being a Chud checks out.

Waxwork just announced they're doing the soundtrack to The Sparks Brothers as a 4 LP set. :rock:

Is it original material or just a Sparks compilation?

ALSO. The guy who made Holy Motors made a musical starring Adam Driver with original music by Sparks.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 5, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I never liked them anyway. And Kokomo should be considered a war crime.

That was also written by Mike Love. The further he is from the rest of the band, the better The Beach Boys are. Mike Love is the man responsible for killing Smile, and was completely up Brian Wilson’s rear end during all the Pet Sounds sessions. Mike Love sucks rear end.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mike Love airing all his grievances at the rock n roll hall of fame and the aftermath is an amazing train wreck. He sucks so much.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

quote:

Mike Love

I can’t believe it took me 20 years to get this verse from ”I Love My Car”

I love my Carl
I love my Brian my Dennis and my Al
I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

Thanks, the Something is Awful forums vinyls thread

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Thanks, the Something is Awful forums vinyls thread

I'm being cyberbullied.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

CPL593H posted:

:frogsiren:

Thanks for posting this!! Picked up some of my favorite Jeff Rosenstock albums on vinyl, cheap! Woohoo!!! And a “mystery lp” which I’m sure will be of great quality!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Thanks for posting this!! Picked up some of my favorite Jeff Rosenstock albums on vinyl, cheap! Woohoo!!! And a “mystery lp” which I’m sure will be of great quality!

95% of my posts are just bitching about poo poo and I'm the longest continuous and most frequent poster here so I figured once in a while I should put something out there that people might actually want to know!

edit: Jesus Christ this thread is ten years old and I have been posting on it from literally day one. Oh god, my life.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 5, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kart Barfunkel posted:

That was also written by Mike Love. The further he is from the rest of the band, the better The Beach Boys are. Mike Love is the man responsible for killing Smile, and was completely up Brian Wilson’s rear end during all the Pet Sounds sessions. Mike Love sucks rear end.

The man knows how to wear a ball cap though

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I successfully bought every Sparks album my local record shop has, with some other stuff:

For once I'm confident in what I bought since I kept to poo poo I know of for the most part. Still lolling at how terrible Triumph's first album cover is though, goddamn.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Goose dropped a full album yesterday and I’ve been really digging it. Vinyl orders are up so I grabbed one.

https://store.goosetheband.com/collections/shenanigans-nite-club/products/shenanigans-nite-club-galaxy-lp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gypxvKKZEw

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

My favorite local store Skeleton Dust Records had a 10% off new 20% off used deal today. Proud of myself for only spending $18.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this loving hobby

spent twenty bucks on a record (new) last weekend, which I had on cassette in the mid 90s (the first weezer album)

got to spin it today

they moved the first track of side two to the end of side one? what the gently caress?

so now here I am considering buying a loving mofi copy for over twice that because goddammit, surf wax america starts side two, that's just how it goes

(also it sounds really kinda lovely and distorted? basically, avoid 2016 or later pressings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

this loving hobby

spent twenty bucks on a record (new) last weekend, which I had on cassette in the mid 90s (the first weezer album)

got to spin it today

they moved the first track of side two to the end of side one? what the gently caress?

so now here I am considering buying a loving mofi copy for over twice that because goddammit, surf wax america starts side two, that's just how it goes

(also it sounds really kinda lovely and distorted? basically, avoid 2016 or later pressings)

Are you sure the tape isn't inverted because that happened sometimes. I spent years thinking Abbey Road begins with Here Comes the Sun because I grew up listening to the cassette which flipped the first songs on each side.