Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

Went for a ride with the new seat but it was actually worse. Some of that might be expected though as I may not have the positioning exactly the same as the old seat. I'm going to try to get a professional fitting done, but in the meantime here's what I noticed:

1) some pain in knees - increased seat height a bit
2) more crotch numbness, and some numbness pain all the way in my upper thigh which I had never felt before

I tried moving the seat forward a bit, as looking at my previous seat pic I think it was too far back, i.e. my junk was sitting right on the nose

I still had crotch pain, not as much in the upper thighs - when I get home I lowered it a bit to where it was with my old seat, and also realized it was pointed upwards a bit so I leveled it

in general, would it be fair to say that, all other things being equal, a seat that is too low will result in knee pain, and a seat that is so high will result in crotch pain or numbness, and so you are trying to find what might be a very tiny zone in between?

There is no such thing as knee underextension so if you are getting knee pain from a low saddle, it is most likely caused by some kind of instability. The solution probably isn't finding the "perfect" saddle position or saddle shape, but addressing your instability with cleat position or wedging.

I will say that once you get used to riding at lower saddle heights, it becomes quite obvious when your saddle is too high and you are ankling a lot less.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Coxswain Balls posted:

All I said is that the issue you poked at me for when I made my own solution because I'm a filthy poor also ended up occurring with a Garmin device. It's great that you've had better luck with yours.

Pretty sure you originally came at me for not living with my purchase and bodging a solution for it rather than moving on to something that worked under those circumstances. I didn't think it was a particularly unreasonable or luxurious course of action then, and I still don't.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 4, 2021

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

I regret not getting the dynamo hub option on my Brompton.

I had it on my commuting bike in the early 2010 decade and it made riding at night worry free.

I've got the dynamo hub on my brompton, it's great, although the lights are a bit low down, so I'm considering getting rechargeable lights maybe even with USB c to place higher up above the front bag and below the seat

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TobinHatesYou posted:

Pretty sure you originally came at me for not living with my purchase and bodging a solution for it rather than moving on to something that worked under those circumstances.

Not really, I said it's great that you're able to afford buying a bunch of different devices to find out what works but there are some of us who aren't able to do that, and I posted something that worked for other people in a similar situation. On the offsite you started calling me dumb for buying a "lovely" Wahoo device because I said it was much more of an RFI issue with my camera than a GPS build issue. That ended up being the case because the same thing happens with any GPS device near it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

drat the thread is hostile today

doomisland posted:

Thanks for the replies yesterday. Went to two shops locally and neither had anything in stock that fit me. The first shop has a Specialized bike, I think the Diverge, showing up at the end of the month, and the other a Giant Advent AR in the next week or two in my size. That's it. I may still put an order in on a Ribble steel frame just in case.
i have a steel ribble road bike and it's real nice. do recommend

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

There is no such thing as knee underextension so if you are getting knee pain from a low saddle, it is most likely caused by some kind of instability. The solution probably isn't finding the "perfect" saddle position or saddle shape, but addressing your instability with cleat position or wedging.

I will say that once you get used to riding at lower saddle heights, it becomes quite obvious when your saddle is too high and you are ankling a lot less.

maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the video about saddle adjustments I was linked to a few pages back said knee pain was one of the main symptoms of a saddle that is too low

I will say that wrt cleat positioning, I am finding that just on my right foot, I'm having some trouble clipping in quickly - as if I'm expecting the connection to be closer to the front of my shoe than it is. I moved this cleat up a bit, and this foot is also a bit longer than my other one, which might explain the difference.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the video about saddle adjustments I was linked to a few pages back said knee pain was one of the main symptoms of a saddle that is too low

I will say that wrt cleat positioning, I am finding that just on my right foot, I'm having some trouble clipping in quickly - as if I'm expecting the connection to be closer to the front of my shoe than it is. I moved this cleat up a bit, and this foot is also a bit longer than my other one, which might explain the difference.

A low saddle will often expose knee instability, but it isn't the cause. A saddle that is too high will usually mask knee instability because you will have to compensate in order to hit max extension. That and your pelvis, lower back, etc. will all be rocking around.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

actionjackson posted:

As someone who has spent a LOT of uncomfortable time on the bike and a fair bit of money I didn't need to trying to figure out my fit from youtube videos, I'd highly recommend getting a fit. I would if I had access to a shop that's open for them nearer than a 6 hour drive.

You can spend months in pain chasing one adjustment to another and second guessing what you've done and how you feel. You can come to believe things about your body that just aren't true because you don't understand how your discomfort and your position are really related (even if you believe you do based on a video). Some thread members may remember when I was convinced I needed a very wide stance to be comfortable. I needed the opposite and spent hours on the bike trying to adjust my cleats around it, all while cycling with persistent knee pain. Ultimately I was trying to adjust my position to try to compensate for muscular imbalances that needed to be fixed with off-the-bike exercise. YMMV, but that's my experience.

IMO if you have a lot of trouble getting comfortable on the bike and have the means and access to get a bike fit, it's probably worth it money wise in the long run and you'll spend more of your time on the bike enjoying it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If you go to three fitters, you will probably end up with three different sets of saddle coordinates relative to the BB. It’s also possible none of them are wrong necessarily. Like my previous reply, if they fix you, it will probably be the result of cleat position or wedging IMO.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you go to three fitters, you will probably end up with three different sets of saddle coordinates relative to the BB. It’s also possible none of them are wrong necessarily. Like my previous reply, if they fix you, it will probably be the result of cleat position or wedging IMO.

Agreed. Actionjackson already said they moved their cleat forward on the foot that's already longer. That essentially makes the long leg extra long, which can definitely cause saddle discomfort from sitting off center, sitting angled, etc. and probably lots else. Moving the cleat further back on the longer leg could offset the discrepancy (not sure if it's the right way to do so), and then you'd just have to get used to clipping in with it in that position. But saddle discomfort and knee pain could be caused by a number of things, lots of which don't much involve the saddle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Agreed. Actionjackson already said they moved their cleat forward on the foot that's already longer. That essentially makes the long leg extra long, which can definitely cause saddle discomfort from sitting off center, sitting angled, etc. and probably lots else. Moving the cleat further back on the longer leg could offset the discrepancy (not sure if it's the right way to do so), and then you'd just have to get used to clipping in with it in that position. But saddle discomfort and knee pain could be caused by a number of things, lots of which don't much involve the saddle.

I should clarify I just adjusted the cleat now, I haven't ridden with it like that yet. I have always ridden with it in the furthest back position (same for my other foot).

edit: the crotch numbness is known to be often caused by the saddle correct? If you have one that doesn't have the open spaces that reduce pressure on the perineum

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 4, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Are the inchworms as bad everywhere else as they are here this season? I don't think it's ever been this bad before, but lately every ride I do ends with me picking off handfuls of the little bastards for the next 15 minutes. Ugh. One inchworm is cute, but we're working with now has tipped the scale way over to the gross side of the spectrum. :barf:

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 4, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m wondering if your cranks are too long actionjackson

I’ll echo the thing about needing a bike fit, it really could be numerous other things but can you borrow a bike with shorter cranks and try that out and see if you have the same issues?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The "craigslist" bought unseen special is soon in a driving condition. Maintenance (total overhaul of every single part) was painful because I haven't done this earlier. I even cleaned & regreased the freehub. 25+25 1/8" separate balls...

One last question comes to mind: this this hub bearing cone good or bad? It looks different from others.

How three other cones look like:

The metal colored one has a smooth track for bearings though. No pitting, no spalling. It's just that it looks different from others, that's why I'm asking.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My crankset is making weird squeaky noises when I pedal, hope the bearings aren't hosed up. No resistance or grinding noise though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Crumps Brother posted:

Are the inchworms as bad everywhere else as they are here this season? I don't think it's ever been this bad before, but lately every ride I do ends with me picking off handfuls of the little bastards for the next 15 minutes. Ugh. One inchworm is cute, but we're working with now has tipped the scale way over to the gross side of the spectrum. :barf:

I had a bright green caterpillar fall on my bare arm cycling the other day. I tried rinsing off the spot where it landed it but it was itchy as gently caress until I had a shower.

Not cool caterpillar!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I’m assuming my cleat position is wrong, but who knows?

My big toes go numb after 20 miles-ish of riding. Doesn’t seem to matter which bike, which is why I think it might be clear position. Strangely, right is worse than left. And it seems to be just the big toes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My crankset is making weird squeaky noises when I pedal, hope the bearings aren't hosed up. No resistance or grinding noise though.

Washed everything and cleaned dirt from the area near the frame/bottom bracket? If that doesn't quiet it down, you may want to pull the crank, clean it all up, regrease/install. When the crank is pulled, you can clean the bearings up and run your finger along them to see if they are rough. IIRC, your bike is pretty new right? I'd lean toward the bearings being OK.

Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, it's not two years old yet. I went on a ride two days ago and noticed the noise but nothing bad happened (yet). I'm pulling the chain and cassette off later to clean and lube them after work so I guess I'll read up on how to open the bottom bracket while I'm on company time.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Yeah, it's not two years old yet. I went on a ride two days ago and noticed the noise but nothing bad happened (yet). I'm pulling the chain and cassette off later to clean and lube them after work so I guess I'll read up on how to open the bottom bracket while I'm on company time.

Shouldn't need to mess with the bottom bracket to pull the crank and check bearings. The only thing you might need to be mindful of is if there are spacers your crank needs -- just remember which side of the crank they go on when you install things again. You should be able to run your finger along the bearings with the BB still installed to see how smooth/rough they are.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

How old are your cleats?

Apr 7, 2003

Vando posted:

How old are your cleats?

Bought them last September IIRC but I didn't ride at all dec - march. didn't think of the cleats or pedals.

Apr 7, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Shouldn't need to mess with the bottom bracket to pull the crank and check bearings. The only thing you might need to be mindful of is if there are spacers your crank needs -- just remember which side of the crank they go on when you install things again. You should be able to run your finger along the bearings with the BB still installed to see how smooth/rough they are.

This is good to know, thank you!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bought them last September IIRC but I didn't ride at all dec - march. didn't think of the cleats or pedals.

If you're pulling cranks and messing with stuff, no harm in pulling your pedals, regreasing and installing again to get things cleaned up. Might want to check the torque on your cleat bolts to see if any have come loose.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

pro tip, remove your pedals before removing your cranks

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Does it make sense to buy used cycling shoes? I lucked into some SPD pedals some time back, but have nothing that would interface with them. New shoes are insanely pricey (I am cheap) but ebay has a bunch for $20-30 bucks. Do they just wear like regular shoes, or is there anything else to be concerned about (short of not being able to try them on first)?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I’m wondering if your cranks are too long actionjackson

I’ll echo the thing about needing a bike fit, it really could be numerous other things but can you borrow a bike with shorter cranks and try that out and see if you have the same issues?

I don't have anyone to borrow a bike like that from, but I will do the bike fit

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

One last question comes to mind: this this hub bearing cone good or bad? It looks different from others.
No pitting and feels smooth with proper preload? Send it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CopperHound posted:

No pitting and feels smooth with proper preload? Send it.

Thanks, will do. I assume proper preload means tightening the bearings nearly tight, with a tiny play when not on bike. I have quick releases so I heard they will compress the bearings the last bit.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

George RR Fartin posted:

Does it make sense to buy used cycling shoes? I lucked into some SPD pedals some time back, but have nothing that would interface with them. New shoes are insanely pricey (I am cheap) but ebay has a bunch for $20-30 bucks. Do they just wear like regular shoes, or is there anything else to be concerned about (short of not being able to try them on first)?

Finding a good fit is maybe a little harder than regular shoes. As you get fancier / racier, there's more and more carbon and so the shoe has less ability to conform to your feet than e.g. converse or whatever. A poor fitting cycling is also maybe more of a pain than poor fitting regular shoes. That said, I'm also super cheap and bought a pair of sworks shoes on craigslist for 80% off and loved them for thousands of miles of riding. I'd say go for it if you're willing to take a little risk that they won't work out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My favorite part of this thread is the juxtaposition of posters dropping 5-10k on bicycles and components compared to others trying to score 30 dollar cycling shoes.

For the record, I am closer to the second example than the first. My wife wife is already mad that I have three bicycles when I can only ride one at a time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I justify any spends by not having a car and figuring out how much I would have spent if I owned one or took the bus. For example:

if a set of continental car tyres is £600 then spending £50 on some marathon plus is nothing in comparison.

in my area the bus would cost me £1300 for a year, that’s a lot of bike and at the end of the year I still own the bike.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

blasted my knee into the pavement like 6 weeks ago after i low sided my moto and im finally just getting back on my bike, 6 hours this week so far! got an xray and an mri and the results are no break and no soft tissue damage just a bunch of effusion that has since drained and a bone bruise. so glad i dont have to spend summer in a moon boot or cast. :woop:

any ways im slow af now lol. time to build back my fitness. and get super tanned.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 4, 2021

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Hekk posted:

My favorite part of this thread is the juxtaposition of posters dropping 5-10k on bicycles and components compared to others trying to score 30 dollar cycling shoes.

For the record, I am closer to the second example than the first. My wife wife is already mad that I have three bicycles when I can only ride one at a time.

my mom bullies me on the phone for having 3 bikes

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Any of you do stretches before/after riding? My legs have been sore for like 4 days straight and I just got done doing a bunch of yoga stretches. Everything feels sooooo much better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I roll my legs and back every day and it helps a lot imo

also I run a lot so that's my main reason I have leg soreness

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have one of those roller sticks and I'll use that if I start to get sore. I work a pretty physical job, so that compounds being on a bike for an 45 minutes to two hours most days. We have a foam roller but it's one of the knobby kinds and usually it hurts too much, but on occasion it hurts just right.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Foam rollers are cheap and own. I roll my quads and my gracilis.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

depending on how much im riding if i dont pay attention to my IT band bad things happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

My disc brakes seem to be a choice of rubbing or any sort of braking power. I guess it'll get better when they wear down a bit.

Build done, shifting is pretty good but needs refining when I actually have a stand. Going to do some chill rides to let everything bed in then do a tune up.

Full build pictures and deets once I get some cages and it's sunny again.