Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

What if Spider Man was the bad guy

"what if super hero actually bad" is already being done to death right now. I doubt much anything is gonna touch The Boys for at least the commentary on that aspect.

Zero One posted:

I don't think anyone can bring anything new to Peter Parker. That's why everyone likes Miles more.

I'm with this. Spiderverse is easily top 5 all time list for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bottom Liner posted:

Toby was a great Peter but a meh Spidey. Garfield was a good Spidey and a terrible Peter. Holland nails both roles.

Yeah, the Andrew Garfield version of Peter Parker was always strange to me. I'm no expert on the character or anything, but I feel like, in high school at least, he's supposed to be a dorky outsider, and Garfield played him as a cool indie kid who skateboards?? Weird.

It doesn't help that that both of his Spider-Man movies are not very good for reasons that have nothing to do with his performance.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 3, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

couldcareless posted:

"what if super hero actually bad" is already being done to death right now. I doubt much anything is gonna touch The Boys for at least the commentary on that aspect.
I'm with this. Spiderverse is easily top 5 all time list for me.

The Boys is garbage nonsense from a guy that thought he could recreate The Watchmen without understanding a page of it. It's a well made show with some good performances, but Garth Ennis' writing is just the worst.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Garth Ennis' writing is just the worst.

Good thing they changed a ton of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Haven’t watched S2, but S1 had a ton of issues and I could point out Ennis in every one of them. S2 better?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Boys is the best show right now and I’d rather go to Boys world than Avengers Campus.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

S2 was very good, but I haven't been poisoned by Ennis. The GIF I posted is one of the best scenes in the season.

Park stuff: Pym Test Kitchen has giant christmas lights on it. I'm hoping this is a coincidentally appropriate nod to Bug's Land.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The Boys is the best show right now and I’d rather go to Boys world than Avengers Campus.

As much as I enjoyed the boys, I'm disappointed they didn't ironically make a Hunger Games theme park. Especially since the wealthy/elite literally go to attractions based on the games. Like there's on the nose kinda stuff and then there's what that woulda been.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fyre Festival should have straight-up been Battle Royale.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

The Boys is garbage nonsense from a guy that thought he could recreate The Watchmen without understanding a page of it. It's a well made show with some good performances, but Garth Ennis' writing is just the worst.

Snyder sucked all of the meaning out of watchmen with his dumb take and most people will remember that. The show is amazing but doesn't carry quite the same message as the comic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Snyder sucked all of the meaning out of watchmen with his dumb take and most people will remember that. The show is amazing but doesn't carry quite the same message as the comic.

Yeah I was really impressed with HBOs Watchmen series. It peaked mid season (Hooded Justice episode was amazing) and got pretty dumb by the end, but the beginning to mid season arch was strong enough to carry it through.

even Snyder understood Manhattan better because holy poo poo having him love another woman and come back in secret betrays everything about his character.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That Spider-Man ride is inexcusably bad. We're living in a weird era where theme parks are simultaneously releasing some of the best and worst rides ever made.

For starters, theme parks need to loving GIVE UP on interactive rides because they're almost always trash.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

CelticPredator posted:

How much Karl Urban exists in Boys World? Asking for a friend.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

That Spider-Man ride is inexcusably bad. We're living in a weird era where theme parks are simultaneously releasing some of the best and worst rides ever made.

For starters, theme parks need to loving GIVE UP on interactive rides because they're almost always trash.

Agreed. Midway Mania is an exception. Smuggler's Run works for the first couple rides.

I'm going to Knott's in a few weeks. Gonna try out their new Midway-style ride. It looks pretty cool and even pumps berry stink at you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think you can make a fun interactive ride but the vast majority of them are trash where you just flop around at a screen. Give me more stuff like Astro Blasters/Space Ranger Spin instead of this.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The thing is, Mission Breakout is technically part of Avengers Campus

And Mission Breakout is so goddamn good that I can never hate on Avengers Campus

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What's interesting is that some of the signage for Web Slingers talks about how you can web poo poo up and pull it around. If that's actually the case (and the motion tracking is good enough to make that feasible), I think the ride could be fine. Like, I'm imagining a version of the ride where after a few trips through you're actually webbing poo poo up, flinging it around, and interacting rather than treating it like a shooting gallery. Absolutely none of that would be expected to show up on day zero, illicit POVs.

Anyway this is an adorable thread about the TDR vending machines, but I am outright shook at ¥200 cokes.

https://twitter.com/tdrexplorer/status/1400591525818429440?s=20

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
PSA - Reservations for Tusker House just went up (reopening June 20th) and nobody seems to have realized yet. Snagged a primo dinner time.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

I'm pretty annoyed with Disney right now. My husband and I are Orlando locals and have been passholders since moving here. This last year we hosted an exchange student, and we wanted to get her an AP right away because of how frequently we go. Disney wouldn't allow us to get her one (we called and asked). So we just took advantage of the FL resident ticket specials and went less often. We did get her a Universal pass and she probably went at least 3x per month. She leaves next weekend and so we wanted to use up her park tickets (she had 2 left). We booked one day at Epcot and had planned on going to MK on Wednesday, but there's no availability for ticketholders there that day. Still availability for passholders though! So I'm trying to call and see if there's ANYTHING they'll do for us so we can use up her ticket at a different park, but I'm betting this is a waste of time too. So we'll just do Epcot a 2nd day I guess, but I'd almost rather just eat the $$ and go to Universal instead. Just wanted to vent. It's been stupid to book any sort of reservations lately.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

stabbity posted:

I'm pretty annoyed with Disney right now. My husband and I are Orlando locals and have been passholders since moving here. This last year we hosted an exchange student, and we wanted to get her an AP right away because of how frequently we go. Disney wouldn't allow us to get her one (we called and asked). So we just took advantage of the FL resident ticket specials and went less often. We did get her a Universal pass and she probably went at least 3x per month. She leaves next weekend and so we wanted to use up her park tickets (she had 2 left). We booked one day at Epcot and had planned on going to MK on Wednesday, but there's no availability for ticketholders there that day. Still availability for passholders though! So I'm trying to call and see if there's ANYTHING they'll do for us so we can use up her ticket at a different park, but I'm betting this is a waste of time too. So we'll just do Epcot a 2nd day I guess, but I'd almost rather just eat the $$ and go to Universal instead. Just wanted to vent. It's been stupid to book any sort of reservations lately.

this is a real good example of why the park pass bullshit needs to go. I hope they can do something for you though.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this is a real good example of why the park pass bullshit needs to go. I hope they can do something for you though.

The very first thing they say on the recorded line when you call is "Please note our availability calendars online are ACCURATE and agents do not have any inventory to assist you on the phone or in person." so I'm super doubtful, but thanks :)

Also the phone line doesn't tell you how long you'll be holding for, so it's been about 15 minutes and I'm already ready to give up. They treat their passholders so well! I told my husband I'd almost rather just let our passes expire for the next year, but there's still no information about if you can purchase new passes, so who knows. He's a bigger Disney fan than I am, so I should have made him deal with this BS.

edit: I gave up and booked Epcot for that day. It's our favorite park anyway so whatever.

stabbity fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

stabbity posted:

The very first thing they say on the recorded line when you call is "Please note our availability calendars online are ACCURATE and agents do not have any inventory to assist you on the phone or in person." so I'm super doubtful, but thanks :)

Also the phone line doesn't tell you how long you'll be holding for, so it's been about 15 minutes and I'm already ready to give up. They treat their passholders so well! I told my husband I'd almost rather just let our passes expire for the next year, but there's still no information about if you can purchase new passes, so who knows. He's a bigger Disney fan than I am, so I should have made him deal with this BS.

edit: I gave up and booked Epcot for that day. It's our favorite park anyway so whatever.

Keep checking. Availability may open up even at the last minute.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Then we just send Turkish Captain America and Turkish El Santo to stop him.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I shitpost him into oblivion and he cries the whole time.

stabbity posted:

This isn't even true according to many online accounts where the system updated slower on the public page than the internal calendar does.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I shitpost him into oblivion and he cries the whole time.

Please, Spidey has been shitposting his enemies for years.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Please, Spidey has been shitposting his enemies for years.

I tell him I didn't accidentally kill -my- girlfriend and make smugtrollface at him until he cries?

Look, I am positive I can make him cry just by being myself. Somehow.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I made my wife watch that terrible Spidey ride video last night and immediately showed her the followup gif of Charlie from Always Sunny and she had to sit down from laughing so hard so thanks to whoever posted that gem

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Np

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They can keep it, but it needs to change. First, I don't think they need separate categories for AP and Theme Park Tickets. I get needing a bucket for resort guests; if I'm paying for a resort stay I better be able to go to the parks. But the others should be way more fluid. Second, drop the three reservation limit for APs, it makes planning an absolute bitch and a half.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Eh, it’s more an issue of the lowered capacity than anything, which we all agree needs to still be in place. If they did away with the reservations you’d have the same situation but you’d have to drive to the park first to find out you can’t get in.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh, it’s more an issue of the lowered capacity than anything, which we all agree needs to still be in place. If they did away with the reservations you’d have the same situation but you’d have to drive to the park first to find out you can’t get in.

if you're gonna have masks off everywhere there's literally no reason for lower capacity anymore other than rehiring, I suppose.

and I mean I'm against all of it anyhow; I think the parks should still be closed and everyone should be masked and blah blah blah but that's not gonna happen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There's been a lot of talk that park reservations will stay anyway because it means they can adjust labor accordingly.

However, what these people don't realize is that Disney can already predict with pretty good accuracy how busy the park will be on any given day and already does adjust staffing and hours around that.

What I'm kind of annoyed about is that they're still blocking most AP's for the summer. First off since they're not selling any APs still, those of us who remained onboard should get some benefits, and 2. Since the park pass system is still in place, they should at least open it up to us on the day of if reservations end up lower for that day.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

I'm fine with them having a reservation system, I just wish it were better. Make it so available parks to choose from are updated based on the availability calendar, instead of having it be two separate entities you have to check individually. Allow parties to include both APs and regular ticket holders instead of them booking everything separately. And I definitely wish there were more benefits for passholders who stuck with them throughout everything. That's one of the reasons I've been so happy with Universal lately.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Trip report: Walibi Belgium, my first park since the pandemic.

Went there with a buddy from university and the park was sold out to the 50% capacity that they were operating on due to covid, despite it not being a holiday in Belgium and the weather being 18C, overcast and expected to rain(though it ended up staying dry most of the day). Crowds were manageable, nothing exceeded 45 minutes or so waiting time and the vast majority of the guests had their masks on. We were able to do all major rides that we were interested in and had enough time left over for some re-rides.

In roughly ascending order of quality:

Vampire
It's an SLC. It causes pain.
The one upside is that it's placed in a nicely forested corner of the park, but you can enjoy that from the ground too without getting crushed by uncomfortable restraints and beaten up by irregularities in the track.

Cobra
It's the OTHER overused Vekoma design, the boomerang. It doesn't have vest restraints and so is almost as uncomfortable as its inverted neighbour.

Calamity Mine
We went in expecting something comparable to Colorado Adventure in Phantasialand and we were left severely disappointed. The entire ride is nothing but a bunch of helices that still manage to be quite rough, not helped by the seats being not very good either. As with most mine trains, the scenery is ok looking if you like old west stuff.

Werewolf
Fun fact, the best least bad Vekoma at the park's name is not a proper noun so the park's signage for it is bilingual in both french and dutch: Loup-Garou/Weerwolf while the website uses the english word.
The layout is ok with some decent floater hills though it could use a few less high & slow turns. The track's extreme roughness is thankfully mitigated significantly by the comfortable padded seats, though do keep in mind that they're very wide and even at low speed you'll slide around a lot during the turns.

Pulsar
Finally, some track that doesn't hurt when traversing it because it's not made by 90's Vekoma! This was the only water ride we did because it was the least wet one. As with all Mack rides, the launch feels more like a car accelerating than a launch but the drop off both the end and the reverse spike are good and the splashdown creates some impressive jets of water, which luckily landed mostly outside the car. One minor issues was that the ride broke down and stopped functioning for about 5-10 minutes while we were sitting on the turntable waiting to be rotated into the station.

Tiki-Waka
This was the biggest surprise of the trip, we went on this while waiting for Kondaa to stop having technical issues and despite its diminutive size and billing as a family attraction, it had some pretty decent drops and floater hills so I'd compare it to Pegasus at Europa Park and Colorado Adventure in Phantasialand in terms of being a family ride that's also fun for thrill ride enthusiasts. Another fun thing was that the queue line has a few interactive bits & bobs scattered throughout to keep small children entertained, to help with the ride having a rather low capacity.

Psyke Underground
The last Schwarzkopf of the Benelux is, as one would expect, still really good almost 40 years after it was built. It has the smoothest track in the park along with Kondaa, the launch is strong and the drop off the end spike is arguably better than Pulsar's despite the shallower angle. Being a shuttle loop, it's a very short ride but it still packs a punch.

Kondaa
Unsurprisingly the best ride in the park. The layout is fun with good drops and strong ejector airtime all around. The so called "non-inverting cobra roll" feels misnamed because it's only non-inverting because of protractor pedantry, being banked "only" 150 degrees. In reality, it's an immelmann and a dive loop with an opposing turn in between. It's still a great element, as is the sizable wave turn that comes after it but the real star of the show is the trio of twisted drop, airtime hill and outer banked hill right before it. The last third of the ride is a series of bunny hops which I think is a great improvement over how RMC does theirs, that is, it doesn't punch you in the dick with the lap bar for no reason. There's considerable variance in how well the ride preserves momentum over the course of the day and with no trims it can go through the finale decently fast in the morning or very fast in the afternoon.

However, what turns a great layout into a great experience is, in my opinion, the seats. I'm 191cm tall and my buddy also 190. We have trouble with a lot of shoulder bars(especially Vampire) so for us it was great that Kondaa uses the same seat design as Taron(and Velocicoaster, for American readers) where the bars come down along the sides of the seat instead of directly in front so it functions more like a lapbar. Due to Kondaa's higher intensity, the seats are closer to the floor of the train so as to not put too much torque on the wheel assemblies but even then the amount of legroom is still more than enough for somebody of our length.

Others
We skipped Dalton Terror because it was one of the longer waits in the park at 40 minutes and neither of us were inclined to look at some grey rear end clouds for a minute followed by a 3 second ride, Buzzsaw because were were both in agreement that top spins that aren't Talocan always end up being a disappointment and the rest of the water rides because we had enough of those after Pulsar.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Asehujiko posted:

Pulsar
...while we were sitting on the turntable waiting to be rotated into the station.

I hadn't heard of Pulsar and this made my brain freeze up for a second. I looked it up and that's great. I love novel designs for load platforms.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Boxman posted:

I hadn't heard of Pulsar and this made my brain freeze up for a second. I looked it up and that's great. I love novel designs for load platforms.
It's pretty neat when it works properly!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Kondaa looks amazing

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/1401940686413340676?s=19

Why yes I think I will watch this

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Imagineer documentary was really good too if you haven't seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We randomly stumbled across a YouTube video that went into incredible detail about how Tower of Terror works and it was one of the most interesting Disney-related things I've ever seen. I hope this goes into that same level of depth.

edit: Here it is if anybody's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGZuA_LSk8