Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

heh, looks like Nintendon’t :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Help, I keep wanting to try Shiren even though I know I don't like classic rogue-likes of almost any kind, but the gameplay (loop?) of Shiren looks interesting and easy to accept due to my years of playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon--and for those games I definitely prefer sprites over the 3D models, as well as the Japanese-y aesthetic.

Is there anything permanent in Shiren? I know you always start from level 1 and improve gear but do you ever come away with anything or are dungeons essentially just puzzles/endurance tests?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want new switch Zelda Mario donker Kong metroib maro glof

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hedrigall posted:

donker Kong

is that what you call your SO

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
When he swings his banana around yeah

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hot scoops from my grandmas brother who is a janitor

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Morter posted:

Is there anything permanent in Shiren? I know you always start from level 1 and improve gear but do you ever come away with anything or are dungeons essentially just puzzles/endurance tests?

Stuff that is permanent across all dungeons:
- The NPC party members you can recruit have persistent levels (and persistent upgrades, for the one who can turn into gear). You can't bring them into every dungeon, however
- If you find a blank scroll you can turn it into any scroll you've read before, which is tracked across your entire save file and not just the current run.
- You have an encyclopedia you can reference that lists all the items you've ever identified. Filling it out is helpful because it lists shop prices, which you can use to help identify unknown items (although you can get the same result with a wiki)

The dungeons themselves are also something like a 30/70 split between dungeons that let you bring in items and dungeons that don't. You can keep upgrading gear to build cool minmaxed +99 stuff for the dungeons that let you bring them in, including the main story dungeon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

This looks plausible but I know it's fake because I already got my
Super Dooper Switch

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Leaked pic, please ignore the "Game Boy Advance SP" label

Also ignore the protruding USB plug, that's a bug

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Clearly a devkit final model will look different

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I found out today that you can end a round in Super Bomberman R Online in a draw. Me and the last dude got blown up at the same time. You only get credit for being Top 4 if that's the case, but it's still pretty funny.

I got a challenge to use Red three times and honestly I kind of like him aside from not being able to use Punch, that's his only downside. There aren't any other characters, not even premium ones, that have a stat distribution similar to Red. I feel like he's probably the second best behind White though, despite the lack of Punch (which does hurt him).

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I can’t wait for Mario Golf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sponges posted:

But you have to

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hatty posted:

other joycon sold separately

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Morter posted:

Help, I keep wanting to try Shiren even though I know I don't like classic rogue-likes of almost any kind, but the gameplay (loop?) of Shiren looks interesting and easy to accept due to my years of playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon--and for those games I definitely prefer sprites over the 3D models, as well as the Japanese-y aesthetic.

Have a look at Tangledeep. It's a bit easier to get into than Shiren, and they share a bit of DNA. You can painlessly transfer items, money, and pets to future characters. It looks good, and the port is perfect.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Got my preorder in, think I got the last one on the Target website sorry folks

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shin Megami Tensei 5 is coming November 11th. Japanese website accidentally updated early and people caught it in time, but the website reporting it is dying due to obvious reasons.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1400663587341824001?s=20

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DorianGravy posted:

I finished the eight storylines in Octopath Traveler, and mostly really enjoyed myself!

Have you heard the boost/break soundtrack arrangement? Top notch!

Morter posted:

Seconding Tangledeep. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to but I think the people it's going to click with it's really going to click with, and you might be one of those people.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
they're in stock on microsofts site!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smtv is gonna own

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

and that's how you provide evidence of upcoming releases

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

sponges posted:

I've been playing Golf Story to help ease that feeling. I slept on the game when I bought it a couple years ago and am having a blast with it. Hope we get some info and/or release date for Sport Story soonish.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Switch Pro exclusive

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hatty posted:

You can get a looooong audio extension cable and plug it into the switch

Yup this is the solution, a regular long aux cord works just fine, and the Switch headphone jack will still output when it's docked. if you're only doing it when everyone is asleep you can just roll it out at night. Depending on your furniture setup you can even run it under a couch or something and just tuck it away when you're not using it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you're all done making the same Switch Pro joke over and over for 20 pages, we have more important things to discuss, like the newly released Jankel Cut. What is the Jankel Cut? Well, you've heard of the Snyder Cut, right? This is that, but for the Super Mario Bros film. 125 minutes, with a total of 20 minutes of new footage (and a little bit of footage from The Lost World to match the prologue to the original script). That's right! In 2021, the world has somehow given us brand new Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper content!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Wowza the controls in Sunshine are really getting to me. Such a shame. I started out really digging this game. The setting and aesthetics are so good! But the gameplay leaves much to be desired.

Something else I noticed they dropped in Galaxy were voiced and animated cut-scenes. Mario doesn't need such things. It's telling how the cutscene portions of Galaxy resemble the storybook intro of Yoshi's Island, which should be a reference to all platformers.

Acerbatus posted:

what's wrong with em? I found them to be extremely tight, you can do stuff like spin jumps with very little room.

They're too tight. It takes a bit of getting used to, but turning on a dime makes you do a backflip, and the times I killed myself just trying to get the already available shine, were far too many. This never really happened in 64 let alone Galaxy.

beer gas canister posted:

Have a look at Tangledeep. It's a bit easier to get into than Shiren, and they share a bit of DNA. You can painlessly transfer items, money, and pets to future characters. It looks good, and the port is perfect.

You can also turn off permadeath if you like, which I eventually did after 10 deaths or so in late-game.

Tender Bender posted:

Yup this is the solution, a regular long aux cord works just fine, and the Switch headphone jack will still output when it's docked. if you're only doing it when everyone is asleep you can just roll it out at night. Depending on your furniture setup you can even run it under a couch or something and just tuck it away when you're not using it.

This is the reason I'm so happy I have a projector. I don't give a poo poo about image quality, so it all looks perfectly fine to me. Because the projector is over the couch, my Switch is next to the couch and I can just play with my regular headphones or a wired controller no issue.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am making a joke about the switch pro and how I have preordered it or know something about it or something else equally unfunny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

I am making a joke about the switch pro and how I have preordered it or know something about it or something else equally unfunny.

So your joke might exist eventually, but not yet and you're just speculating as to whether it'll be funny or not?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's what she said.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

loquacius posted:

Question for the thread: as a guy who does all his gaming after his baby goes to bed, I have to play games in a house containing a sleeping baby.

The PS4 controller has a headphone jack. The Switch Pro controller does not. My options, apparently, are to hook up Bluetooth headphones to the Switch, or get a third-party controller that has a headphone jack. Has anybody done either of these? Are third-party controllers actually good these days?

You could look at the steelseries wireless headphones, they come with a dongle that's switch compatible and works over wireless frequencies rather than Bluetooth so you avoid any audio delay issues

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So your joke might exist eventually, but not yet and you're just speculating as to whether it'll be funny or not?

*gesticulates wildly around at the thread as it has existed for the last 3 years*

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Hammer Bro. posted:

Seconding Tangledeep. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to but I think the people it's going to click with it's really going to click with, and you might be one of those people.
I bounced off it at first but after sorting out the unusual health management and the pet system it's clicked. It's very forgiving for a roguelike, with minutely variable difficulty options via mutators and the in-game Pandora Boxes.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Just ordered my New Super Swiitchcube Lite DS XL SP. But then I cancelled it when I saw they tried charging $5.99 for shipping.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Breaking news from the French: https://www.gizchina.com/2021/06/03/breaking-nintendo-switch-pro-now-listed-on-french-retailer-price-revealed/

The Switch Pro costs 399 euros.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm starting to think randos working at retailers will throw up anything as a placeholder, maybe even because of the rumours.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

You could look at the steelseries wireless headphones, they come with a dongle that's switch compatible and works over wireless frequencies rather than Bluetooth so you avoid any audio delay issues

I'm actually using one of these right now. It's a bit of a pain to setup with the Steelseries Arctis 7, not sure if it's easier with the other headsets. Once you know how to set it up though, it works great. That's a good description of the headset in general though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lol I can’t wait to pay 400 dollars for a machine that doesn’t exist.

Also, for 400 dollars it better be a size able upgrade from the normal switch

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Policenaut posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 5 is coming November 11th. Japanese website accidentally updated early and people caught it in time, but the website reporting it is dying due to obvious reasons.

I lose track between SMT, Persona, and the assorted spinoffs. Is this a new one or a port (I count "latest but coming to Switch" as new)? I think last SMT I played you were medieval-styled crusaders who descend a tower down to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

I'm actually using one of these right now. It's a bit of a pain to setup with the Steelseries Arctis 7, not sure if it's easier with the other headsets. Once you know how to set it up though, it works great. That's a good description of the headset in general though.

I have the Steelseries Arctis 1 wireless xbox/switch version and it's literally plug and play.