Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it seems entirely appropriate to me that tld has a cap on some resources and honestly its weird they dont have a cap on more of them since the survival challenge is more along the lines of "as long as you can" rather than being especially hard to reach being self-sustaining. i also cant comprehend why anyone would care if they havent hit some insane 500+ day interloper save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

HelloSailorSign posted:

The idea that life sustaining resources are finite grates on me as well (seeing as I tend to play games for escapism) and were one of the things that kept me from getting into Project Zomboid back in the day. While it makes sense that more advanced material would decay/be used up and be gone, it's not like society didn't exist before nails.

There's a lot of settings in Zomboid that make things sustainable - you can easily live off of farmed produce, gas stations have either infinite or nearly infinite gasoline (have to power them with a generator once the power is cut though), zombies drop clothes that can be used to patch up your clothes as they are torn up, and can also drop weapons. You can set up the map to repopulate after a certain amount of time has passed without you nearby as well (I believe this is on by default).

There's also the hydrocraft mod, which is a bit of a cluttered mess that takes the approach of putting everything and the kitchen sink into one mod, but it allows you to eventually make and replicate nearly everything in the game using various production chains from the ground up. There's no need to do all of the chains, and you can mix and match what you do based on what you are lacking or think that you will be lacking.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verviticus posted:

it seems entirely appropriate to me that tld has a cap on some resources and honestly its weird they dont have a cap on more of them since the survival challenge is more along the lines of "as long as you can" rather than being especially hard to reach being self-sustaining. i also cant comprehend why anyone would care if they havent hit some insane 500+ day interloper save
I thought I explained those points okay, but to repeat:
1. I understand that is in many ways the conceit of the game, but that doesn't mean I like it. Some people see it as inextricable from the premise, or feel that without it, there's not much point. I disagree, because I enjoy a lot of things about the game other than the slow inevitable death and decay spiral, and would enjoy it just as much without those things.
2. I know that I will probably never have a survival game that goes long enough to encounter most of these issues, but just being aware of it makes it feel like it's hanging over my head, irrational as that may be.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah i mean we've even had this convo in this thread before and to your credit you've admitted it was irrational then and now. so i guess i understand it in that sense

that said i still think that there are a lot of well made and fun games out there that are not totally thematically coherent, so i strongly enjoy and support it when a game is all three of those things

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I recognize what I want out of the game and what it's trying to be aren't the same thing, but I think everyone in this thread knows this is a genre with very slim pickings, so when there's any interest at all I always hope for any options or modes of play that can align it closer to my interests, since you can't as easily do what you can with some other genres and just find a game that's a better fit.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Section Z posted:

There just seems to be something in the water when it comes to declaring "The spirit of survival games-" means loathing sustainable resources without a busywork tax or outright impossible after a long enough time span, whether you are a starving hobo in the woods or a space explorer with a pocket replicator.

Even sci-fi survival game #834 where the store pages shows you building helicarriers train convoys with the intent of strip mining whole planets, they will nerf the water tables declaring "Gosh, people were just drilling down to solve thirst! And that goes against the spirit of survival games!"

At least in a game like the long dark, this disconnect is less jarring because declaring your winter hobo will eventually freeze is a little less absurd than declaring players are missing the point of survival games because they are running space predators over with a space truck instead of getting out and shooting them with crafted bullets as survival god intended.

I think probably the "spirit" of survival games ought to look a lot like the minecraft modpack omnifactory. You're constantly in a loop of eliminating your current frustration just for it to be immediately replaced with a new, higher-order frustration. And that feels good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

30.5 Days posted:

I think probably the "spirit" of survival games ought to look a lot like the minecraft modpack omnifactory. You're constantly in a loop of eliminating your current frustration just for it to be immediately replaced with a new, higher-order frustration. And that feels good.

There's also the kind of fun thing about getting situated to where you finally stop worrying about your basic needs and basic shelter, and then start acting instead of reacting. Getting to that tipping point and maintaining it can be a lot of fun. Bonus points if that maintenance relies on a resource that you can scavenge, but it'd be ideal if you could make it from scratch.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

30.5 Days posted:

The "solved problem" problem.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

There's also the kind of fun thing about getting situated to where you finally stop worrying about your basic needs and basic shelter, and then start acting instead of reacting. Getting to that tipping point and maintaining it can be a lot of fun. Bonus points if that maintenance relies on a resource that you can scavenge, but it'd be ideal if you could make it from scratch.

Honestly, Valheim starts you at that point and I think it's why the game feels so nice.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i love me a good never-ending grind in a survival game but TLD more than any other game scratches a very specific itch and im glad they resisted the urges to allow real forward progress (like being unable to build a real hatchet or gun or whatever)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I used to be addicted to modpack Minecraft with all the sciency technology big guns like Immersive Engineering, Applied Energistics etc. but I eventually burned out so badly I never went near it again just because I got so frustrated with the tendency of mod makers to try and monopolise your time by making their mods basically require all your attention to progress and make stuff. They all had fractally expanding trees of otherwise useless components and sub-components and sub-sub components and dedicated machines that are specifically designed to produce these otherwise useless sub-sub-sub components...

I enjoyed the freeform nature of these mods a lot, but remembering that experience and then playing Factorio or Satisfactory where component chains are simpler feels like slipping into a warm bath after a long day hiking and I'm sore and filthy. They're structured around automating and mass-producing the basics so you can then funnel them into further automated refining and assembling to push higher and higher up the chain of technology which I enjoy much more.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

30.5 Days posted:

Honestly, Valheim starts you at that point and I think it's why the game feels so nice.

One of the smartest things about valheim imo is how they turned food from a necessity to an enhancement. You absolutely can't realistically survive without eating but the game isn't going to murder you just for not doing it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Wait, I'm sorry. They're working on a TLD2? Did they finish the campaign/story for the first one? I know it's been a few years since it was introduced, but I thought they were adding a whole section for Astrid and hadn't done that yet. Maybe I'm just feeling the weight of nearly a decade of loosely following the game since buying it basically day 1.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verviticus posted:

i love me a good never-ending grind in a survival game but TLD more than any other game scratches a very specific itch and im glad they resisted the urges to allow real forward progress (like being unable to build a real hatchet or gun or whatever)
Honestly it's clear that The Long Dark fails as a game because you can't even build piping to lead the steam from boiled snow away from your campfire and into a scrap metal turbine which in turn powers an ore extractor to draw metals from mountainsides which is carted by tamed wolves over to the forge to create ingots you can use to build conveyor belts which

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Does Zomboid have a more renewable balance now, or is it still as it was when you bounced off it?

Default vanilla no, but you can change settings such it can be, though imo it's a bit immersive killing there. A part of town getting restocked feels... weird to me. Though, I did stick in repeating helicopter while toggling some loot respawn, so thematically feels like there are supply drops or finding someone's stash.

Dirk the Average posted:

There's also the hydrocraft mod, which is a bit of a cluttered mess that takes the approach of putting everything and the kitchen sink into one mod, but it allows you to eventually make and replicate nearly everything in the game using various production chains from the ground up. There's no need to do all of the chains, and you can mix and match what you do based on what you are lacking or think that you will be lacking.

I tried and kinda liked hydrocraft, but the bloat is super real. Long Term Survival (LTS) mod has wound up largely being all I wanted.

Also, they're intending to make gasoline be of limited quantity in an upcoming small patch. It'll make something like LTS absolutely necessary since PZ doesn't have any long term, renewable, non-refrigeration, food storage. Vinegar (or lemon juice), salt, and drying would do it, but PZ doesn't have that (LTS has replenish-able salt, vinegar, and drying mechanics).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I wouldn't say VERY early days, it's very solid and polished tbh, but yeah they definitely need to add a lot of stuff to break the routine once you get a decent start.

I meant early days in relation to the entire roadmap etc. I agree that the core gameplay loop is there, polished, and its good. I think it will get much better.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I decided to try Ark again solo because I have nothing better to do and it's on gamepass, and this gamepass version of the game is ROUGH. I assume it's because this is the cross platform version but you can't set the resolution any higher than 720p. I changed it in the settings .ini but it still looks like rear end and I don't think it actually changed anything. Also there's no button to quit the game as far as I can tell so I have to alt-f4 to quit lol. It's probably not even worth bothering with if I'm going to be by myself right?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’ve tried Ark and just couldn’t get into it. Conan Exiles, on the other hand, is pretty good once you get the hang of it. After a point it seems like it really leans on multiplayer, unless you just really wanna spend time grinding to make one piece of a building

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Retrowave Joe posted:

I’ve tried Ark and just couldn’t get into it. Conan Exiles, on the other hand, is pretty good once you get the hang of it. After a point it seems like it really leans on multiplayer, unless you just really wanna spend time grinding to make one piece of a building

Yeah I played the poo poo out of Conan, it's definitely a better solo experience than Ark appears to be because of the bosses and dungeons and stuff. I really wanted to check out that new Conan expansion but it sounds like that's sorta geared towards pvp and also probably not worth doing if I'm going alone.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can do ARK solo, but ideally you'd want to play with the resource drop rate and various taming related timers to make it less painful (unless that's your thing).

You can take at least some of the bosses solo, you just got to have geared out dinos and badass weapons yourself to do it.

Of course I can't play ARK any more because while it used to (poorly) run on a Mac, it now doesn't run at all and hasn't for apparently the better part of the year to... no change from the studio? lmao

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
On the topic of playing terrible multiplayer games solo, I've been playing wurm but threw out all the starter equipment they give you for extra masochism. It's ok, the game doesn't really demand much of you so I just turn on some tv and watch progress bars. I guess it's not a real survival game but whatever

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I played some PVE Ark mostly solo (with a couple friends). We got up to taming a Quetz and then stole a dragon egg and everything after that just seems flat and boring. The trouble with ARK is that at the end of the day it's a game about collecting cool toys that you can use to fight other players and if you don't have other players to fight at some point you're gonna realize that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The problem with ark is that for that exact reason, high level players on pvp servers eventually start massacring low level players out of boredom

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That's pretty much what all PvPers everywhere do.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I still contend that ECO on an open server is the most balanced pvp experience you can get just because they can't hurt you directly but seriously petty rivalries and market exploitation and planet fuckery can and will occur that will ruin your/the servers day.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The funnest pvp in Ark was when they first added diseases before peeps figured out stockpiling and distributing the cure and suddenly even the lowliest newb had the power to cough on someone and absolutely ruin their day. Widespread panic for like a week. Small clans could do biological warfare against the alpha clans with tactical dodo drops and literally cause schisms in them cuz nobody wanted to get sick and the ill would be banished. And the new players would mostly be left alone by the alpha players for the same reason, going to the beaches to gank newbies is allot less of a free thing to do when they can infect you.

But it's no longer a real thing since I believe the disease was nerfed and every big clan will have a stockpile of cure just in case.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

packetmantis posted:

That's pretty much what all PvPers everywhere do.

yeah any game that has gear/character mechanic uberness and also allows pvp is doomed like this. very stupid that developers keep trying to shovel that poo poo out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

pvp is cool

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
PVP is cool but i'll never understand the appeal of games where you can log back in and someone who's spent 12 hours poopsocking while you're asleep has chipped their way into your base, stolen everything and burned down the rest.

I've got colleagues who love it but I just do not understand. Certainly not my thing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Because basically bullying someone to stop playing is the greatest pleasure some people can think of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

all games that combine pvp with gear/character uberness mechanics are universally poop from my rear end

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been grasping at the right words but yeah - while Battlefield was one of my favorite game series and I love plenty of other online versus stuff, I stay miles away from PVP in survival games. Other than very specific cases where it’s always fun even with crap gear, (DayZ) it’s almost always a game of one person or group grinding, hoarding, and then proceeding to gently caress with your ability to get anywhere close to competitive. Its not fun to get your sandcastle stomped a whole hell of a lot of the worst people online love to be the ones stomping sandcastles. It makes me sad because me and a handful of buddies absolutely love the OpenWorldSurvivalCraft nonsense but exclusively have to play private servers and it does detract somewhat, but open PVP in these games just blows.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I meant early days in relation to the entire roadmap etc. I agree that the core gameplay loop is there, polished, and its good. I think it will get much better.

Thank you, Ghost of Mussolini, for making me notice Going Medieval. :italy:

RimWorld got kinda old and I preferred the low tech part of the game anyway, so far this is basically a clone with 3d structures (neat stuff) and a very medieval coat of paint but for being in EA works like a charm, the potential seems to be there and if it gets a modding scene going it would be great! Scratches the survival itch better too, it seems to be harder to keep stocked on food without electricity and refrigerators

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ve been grasping at the right words but yeah - while Battlefield was one of my favorite game series and I love plenty of other online versus stuff, I stay miles away from PVP in survival games. Other than very specific cases where it’s always fun even with crap gear, (DayZ) it’s almost always a game of one person or group grinding, hoarding, and then proceeding to gently caress with your ability to get anywhere close to competitive. Its not fun to get your sandcastle stomped a whole hell of a lot of the worst people online love to be the ones stomping sandcastles. It makes me sad because me and a handful of buddies absolutely love the OpenWorldSurvivalCraft nonsense but exclusively have to play private servers and it does detract somewhat, but open PVP in these games just blows.

pvp games that have stood for thousands of years and remain popular - chess, go, any sport - practically all have rules and traditions that handicap the more experienced player, all of them attempt to start players off as evenly as possible. it's only the past 20 years or so we've been producing this kind of bullshit.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Thank you, Ghost of Mussolini, for making me notice Going Medieval. :italy:

RimWorld got kinda old and I preferred the low tech part of the game anyway, so far this is basically a clone with 3d structures (neat stuff) and a very medieval coat of paint but for being in EA works like a charm, the potential seems to be there and if it gets a modding scene going it would be great! Scratches the survival itch better too, it seems to be harder to keep stocked on food without electricity and refrigerators

Ditto- when workshop opens up for this game it's going to surpass Rimworld for me.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Chakan posted:

Wait, I'm sorry. They're working on a TLD2? Did they finish the campaign/story for the first one? I know it's been a few years since it was introduced, but I thought they were adding a whole section for Astrid and hadn't done that yet. Maybe I'm just feeling the weight of nearly a decade of loosely following the game since buying it basically day 1.

I don't think they're working on TLD2, it might be in planning / some sort of pre production, but they've stated pretty clearly they are finishing the episodes first.

Episode 4 is likely to hit next quarter at the latest if I had to guess, I don't remember if there's supposed to be 5 or 6 all up but they're almost done.

They've also seen that a lot of people would pay for a good survival expansion DLC so they might explore that route before committing all their resources to TLD2.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'd love an expansion focused on survival mode, if it's beefy enough. I just don't know what direction they'd go with it. More regions seems like the obvious one but whenever I get bored of the game it's rarely because I ran out of places to go. More content, surely, but what kind?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it would be hard because as it is even on interloper or harder customs, the hardest part of the game is at the very start. once you get rolling you're basically gonna clean out the entire map eventually. adding more content like better tools or better clothing is only going to make that easier and all of the hardmode zones they've added with timberwolves and what not are not particularly difficult to handle

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Vib Rib posted:

I'd love an expansion focused on survival mode, if it's beefy enough. I just don't know what direction they'd go with it. More regions seems like the obvious one but whenever I get bored of the game it's rarely because I ran out of places to go. More content, surely, but what kind?

Agreed, if I was going to go for DLC it would have to come with additional mechanics, not just maps.

I think it would be difficult to solve the issue of once you're comfortable and don't have any goals things get boring.

I would probably pay for a DLC that added new animals with different mechanics, replacing the mechanics that are done automatically with gameplay (fishing and chopping wood and would be cool).

Longer term projects would also be nice, like being able to build a fishing hut or small shack, craftables like a wind breaker for outdoor fireplaces.

Even being able to find and read newspapers and more lore spread throughout the regions would be welcome. More about what life was like before the end, and how bear island became completely desolate.

There's probably a lot of stuff they haven't been able to add that could be added and sold as good expansion packs, I think at this point the goodwill is probably there where people would accept that they can't do everything for free that might have been considered way back at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
The Long Dark: 2 Hot 2 Survive