Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

im always curious in these situations and can't tell with the online version. Do you know if this showed up in print? Is there an easy way to tell how buried it is? Doesn't seem like literal nyt headline news, ofc, just not sure what it would look like to nomies who still get their papers via paper. buried on A10 next to an add for footlocker? who knows

no idea we'll find out tomorrow i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

The report determines that the vast majority of more than 120 incidents over the past two decades did not originate from any American military or other advanced U.S. government technology, the officials said. That determination would appear to eliminate the possibility that Navy pilots who reported seeing unexplained aircraft might have encountered programs the government meant to keep secret.

hopefully there are a bunch of deets about the other incidents that they will share. even if its the same vague stuff, it would be interesting to build a larger list.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

US government on UFOs:

they are fake

maybe they are real

no theyre fake

some are real

they arent ours or anything we can explain

theres no way to prove if they are aliens or not we dont know

they are maybe not aliens

but they maybe could be aliens

its not aliens

maybe its china or russia

or aliens

not aliens

so strange

:smugdon:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Wheeee posted:

they don't make it very far before degrading into noise

sending signals that can actually be identified as containing information once you're outside of earth's nearest neighbors isn't nearly as easy as turning up the tower at the radio station

yeah i think the biggest radio noise we blast out has been military radars for some decades now:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

how come back in the day the ufo sightings were battles in the sky but now they just briefly destealth for 15 seconds in front of navy pilots. i want to see a cool ufo battle. i wonder if all those aliens killed each other

earth is like a space alien gettysburg battlefield and rear end in a top hat chud alien tourists come here and use their wacky interdimensional orb ships to troll the apes

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Bullshit!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

hopefully there are a bunch of deets about the other incidents that they will share. even if its the same vague stuff, it would be interesting to build a larger list.

lol even if they were secret CIA craft the report would still say they aren't. perhaps the release is not for civilian consumption but more a way of deterring the PRC from invading taiwan

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

from https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1475-7516/2007/01/020

edit: i think the graph says the future radio telescope the square kilometer array would be able to hear the equivalent of earth's military radars at 100 parsecs out

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If the tic-tac isn't some sort of US tech there's really not a lot of options left.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
the UFOs are the final, spacefaring evolution of the tardigrade

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If the tic-tac isn't some sort of US tech there's really not a lot of options left.

I'll buy that any country with nuclear submarines could theoretically deploy and recover drones that could do some crazy poo poo without, again theoretically, being detected.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

the actual text of the article posted:

The report determines that a vast majority of more than 120 incidents over the past two decades did not originate from any American military or other advanced U.S. government technology, the officials said. That determination would appear to eliminate the possibility that Navy pilots who reported seeing unexplained aircraft might have encountered programs the government meant to keep secret...

...The report concedes that much about the observed phenomena remains difficult to explain, including their acceleration, as well as ability to change direction and submerge.

:thunk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is false. The US alone has sent like 10:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_interstellar_radio_messages

I think Sprite sent one to the Glise system a while ago to advertise their delicious line of beverages.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

If there was a planet identical to earth around alpha centuri blasting rock and roll into space 24/7 we would not know unless both their emitter and our detector aligned perfectly.

also, aliens don’t pay for poo poo so blasting data into space is something that makes no sense.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what qualify as "evidence" that they were alien spacecraft? a signed letter from the aliens?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It boggles my mind that a "the military can't control our airspace" narrative hasn't developed around this, because let's say that everything happening here is strictly terrestrial and that it isn't US tech, that means that someone (basically Russia or China) is operating in our airspace with absolute impunity and the military is saying "what ya gonna do?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That tweet is kind of silly because the only reason we listen for radio is that we don’t really have anything else to look for. Criticizing it as a strategy implies there are others. I think when James Webb goes up later this year, it will try to read the atmospheres of extrasolar planets, which is better.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

oh man, 120 incidents over the last 20 years that aren't connected to secret US tests. and the report apparently includes ufo incidents involving foreign militaries? god drat they better at least include details on these incidents or else im gonna take a giant dump on the pentagon

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is false. The US alone has sent like 10:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_interstellar_radio_messages

I think Sprite sent one to the Glise system a while ago to advertise their delicious line of beverages.

ah rad, thanks! - and this is neat:

quote:

The transmissions took place in October 2017 and May 2018 from the 32 m EISCAT antenna in Tromsø, Norway operating at ≈930 MHz with 1.5 MW transmitting power and bit rates of 62.5 to 500 bps. The music was encoded as uncompressed PCM; due to the low bandwidth each piece was only 10 s long and sampled with 8 kHz, 8 bit, mono.[10] The message will take approximately 12.4 Earth years to arrive at its destination, making a potential reply arrive in time for Sónar's 50th anniversary in 2043.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

None of them are targeted at planets and they aren’t strong enough to not degrade to zero by the time they reach it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Azathoth posted:

It boggles my mind that a "the military can't control our airspace" narrative hasn't developed around this, because let's say that everything happening here is strictly terrestrial and that it isn't US tech, that means that someone (basically Russia or China) is operating in our airspace with absolute impunity and the military is saying "what ya gonna do?"

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/history/chinese-submarine-appeared-in-the-middle-of-a-carrier-battle-group.html

its not like the prc's navy doesn't like to play hide and seek for funsies lmao

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lol i love how this sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-Uri607E0

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Delta-Wye posted:

im always curious in these situations and can't tell with the online version. Do you know if this showed up in print? Is there an easy way to tell how buried it is? Doesn't seem like literal nyt headline news, ofc, just not sure what it would look like to nomies who still get their papers via paper. buried on A10 next to an add for footlocker? who knows

NYT posted:

A version of this article appears in print on June 4, 2021, Section A, Page 1 of the New York edition with the headline: U.S. Concedes It Can’t Identify Flying Objects. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

so not yet, but keep an eye out tomorrow!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok so the literal front page

i dunno why people would think they'd bury this one when the press has been pushing the ufo story hard and the nyt in particular since they were the ones who first broke it in 2017

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

is it OK for this to be general catchall whacky conspiracy thread (as opposed to the more human-conspiracy centric Epstein thread)? I ask because I want to know about these mudflood people and wtf the "mudflood" is

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

sounds like a la monte young composition

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
if that one guy didn't explode himself trying to shoot into space to prove that the earth is flat, I would have said flat-earthers were all just ironically larping for fun.

mudflood is the same sort of thing in terms of the credulity required, although no one's died trying to excavate the atlantean civilization under san francisco or chicago or whatever, as far as I know.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

HookedOnChthonics posted:

so not yet, but keep an eye out tomorrow!

Oh neat, I totally missed that at the bottom. I keep thinking my life would be so much easier if i knew how to read.

Shear Modulus posted:

i dunno why people would think they'd bury this one when the press has been pushing the ufo story hard and the nyt in particular since they were the ones who first broke it in 2017

the 2017 article was a bit buried if I remember right, I figured this one would be too - I find page one placement interesting.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Shear Modulus posted:

as far as i can tell until harry reid got obsessed with aliens because of his billionaire buddy people had stopped talking about them. the nyt not being a mouthpiece for the democrats would shock me, even if they are retired

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

is it OK for this to be general catchall whacky conspiracy thread (as opposed to the more human-conspiracy centric Epstein thread)? I ask because I want to know about these mudflood people and wtf the "mudflood" is

Such a thread already exists, friend

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890230

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

PawParole posted:

None of them are targeted at planets and they aren’t strong enough to not degrade to zero by the time they reach it.

one of the messages already reached a system though - why do you think it degraded to zero?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

I hadn't heard about this until I saw a mention of it, so I am absolutely not qualified to do a writeup, but based on this quote, I sure hope someone else does:

quote:

A general synopsis of this theory is that within the last 100-1000 years, civilization was reset and humanity lost much of its knowledge and many advanced technologies

Because that sounds just loving bonkers and I'm already in love

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Because that sounds just loving bonkers and I'm already in love

the phantom time hypothesis is another one of my off the wall insane favs

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
there's no way to prove the universe wasn't just booted on in the last instant and everything prior is implanted memory

this is the very first real post

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It's black holes all the way down ...or through?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2wnSVeITg

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

WEH posted:

It's black holes all the way down ...or through?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2wnSVeITg

the lyrics to that theme song are

the x-files is a show
with music by mark snow

and now you're cursed with that knowledge rattling around in your head too

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

the phantom time hypothesis is another one of my off the wall insane favs

i learned about this specific thing the other day and found it fascinating. some of their evidence centered around a theory newton had about why there was a hiccup in the scheduling of celestial events, i even read through a few bits of his writing about it but I've always found his writing to be pretty impenetrable. i get the distinct impression he was just the gooniest motherfucker alive at the time, and could totally see him latching onto something weird like his projections not lining up.

i didn't spend much time digging into whether he was right, and whether there was any explanation for the error. it seems like one of those things that would be glaringly obvious but after a casual glance didn't see a lot of chatter about it elsewhere.

edit: i found the theory itself fascinating because i could totally see someone doing date conversions just tossing in a lil adjustment, but i found all of the evidence less believable than the hair brained theory lmao

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

the lyrics to that theme song are

the x-files is a show
with music by mark snow

and now you're cursed with that knowledge rattling around in your head too

:unsmigghh:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

gotta smoke too much tonight and pray my brain forgets

Adbot