Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xun posted:

Wait whaaat?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-17-tera-developers-guilty-of-stealing-lineage-iii-assets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tera Online is also the origin of many alienware memes. During launch there were actual marketers talking about their alienwares and how good they were in global chat. People didn't like that. Obviously observant folks realised that pretending to game on alienware was a free and ready source of angry comments in nearly any online game. Took about 10 years for that to run out of steam. People these days generally never take it seriously but you can maybe catch one every now and then.

If you're not sure boot up a mmo riddled with RNG and claim your alienware (that you definitely own) gives you better RNG because of promotional related coding. Tell anyone that gives you poo poo that they're simply jealous of your superior alienware, and that alienware beats a custom build every time because alienware is better. If anyone simply goes "lol" type "I'm sorry you're too poor to afford a good computer like an alienware".

It doesn't really have the same immediate effect it used to but you know, decade old at this point. Still you never know what fish you can catch.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 2, 2021

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

MH Knights posted:

What has changed in modern Aion to make Classic so appealing? I played Aion at launch and gave up halfway to level cap as it was just another fairly generic KMMO who's only gimmick was (very) limited flight.

Or is there now a trend of MMO devs/publishers copying WoW again without realizing what works for WoW may not work for their game?

It's this indeed and by far my most favourite was the Rift classic fiasco that lasted for what, 3 months? :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trion Worlds knew exactly what they were doing. It was a case of being desperate for cash, any cash, because they raised too much venture capital early on and eventually the postman knocked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Smythe posted:

everquest has always sucked and is for carebears and n00bs. just imo of course. also ive been having this flame war for 20 yrs. :tipshat:

Way back when the game came out I unknowingly rolled on a PvP server and was killing rats outside Freeport when some guy said "wanna go hunt dark elves?" which I assumed were mobs so I said sure and we got completely demolished by some dark elf players (it was night so I didn't even see them being a human).

Original UO though. Now that was the poo poo.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm convinced original UO was the best MMO ever made because it actually succeeded in creating a living world where players had a real impact in 1997. T2A was also good, but everything past that was trash.

UO Outlands is a nice re-imagining, but everyone seems so intent on min-maxing and grinding out rare drops and/or PKing for the sake of PKing that it doesn't have the same charm for me.

e: In other news, I'm back in WoW Classic for TBC. I need New World to come out so I can get my fix. :350:

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's this indeed and by far my most favourite was the Rift classic fiasco that lasted for what, 3 months? :v:

Hello I know nothing about this and would like to learn more

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Smythe posted:

everquest has always sucked and is for carebears and n00bs. just imo of course. also ive been having this flame war for 20 yrs. :tipshat:

If you don't like it whatever, but for people who are explicitly talking about reinstalling everquest.....

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fetch quests and raid prep are bad. Change those to an idlescape type mode so you can get pots and mats offline.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

If you don't like it whatever, but for people who are explicitly talking about reinstalling everquest.....

then they can taste my flames. as a dyed in the wool uo player and merciless player killer it is my sworn duty to flame and troll every eq player until the end of my days. i will never stop. if the mods want to probe me for it, so be it, thats the nature of the game. Does it also prove my point? hmmm, perhaps.... perhaps...

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Smythe posted:

a died in the wool uo player
Ftfy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Smythe posted:

then they can taste my flames. as a dyed in the wool uo player and merciless player killer it is my sworn duty to flame and troll every eq player until the end of my days. i will never stop. if the mods want to probe me for it, so be it, thats the nature of the game. Does it also prove my point? hmmm, perhaps.... perhaps...

I was a PK killer so you and I are sworn eternal enemies. Ready your steel.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 3, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here is a new MMO. It's Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley in a BOTW style open world with other players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exGByxvJjA

https://www.polygon.com/22492638/palia-pre-alpha-mmo-animal-crossing-stardew-valley-social-game

I'll probably never play it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

30.5 Days posted:

Hello I know nothing about this and would like to learn more

https://tagn.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/rift-past-its-prime/

I was wrong, it was up for a year. I honestly thought it was much shorter.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ehud posted:

Here is a new MMO. It's Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley in a BOTW style open world with other players.

https://www.polygon.com/22492638/palia-pre-alpha-mmo-animal-crossing-stardew-valley-social-game

Please keep in mind that playing MMOs for 20 years has broken my brain.

With that said, this looks pretty cool. It seems to imply that combat will not be the sole focus?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There has been a hole in the market for a big budget MMO that isn't largely focused on combat with big floating numbers and everything else just being a afterthought that indirectly makes you better at combat and then going back to the hub town to empty your inventory and look at the other players idling around with giant cosmetic 20$ wings.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 3, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ehud posted:

Love the idea of a chill mmo.

Trailer looks pretty staged though, I wanna watch real uninterrupted gameplay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a pretty good chance a large amount of the gameplay will be watching little bars fill from one end to the other while your character makes a hand rubbing motion and 30 seconds later a king sized bed is in your pocket.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zaphod42 posted:

Straight up there is nothing there I trust lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mmos should steal ateliers' attribute/property/quality crafting

so i can bring 999 quality nukes into pvp zones :twisted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah I signed up for that after I saw the massively article on it!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
we were spitballing itt about an animal crossing like mmo that could make a bazillion dollars, maybe this will be it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
*runs into thread, panting*

did someone say basebuilding mmo??

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its amazing they havent done animal crossing like mmo because its so transparently a guaranteed money maker

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I know a couple of the guys working on this, and I even like one of em but they're tech so who knows if it'll be good. I will say that the team is real actual professional video game developers from this decade so it's not a scam.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol Crowfall is coming out July 6th

which basically mean sthey ran out of money because its 100% not finished yet

also Starbase is coming out on early access on like 6/16 or something? doesn't look remotely ready to me

eonwe fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 4, 2021

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I mean, Haven and Hearth is pretty much the same thing, right? And that never really took off.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

I mean, Haven and Hearth is pretty much the same thing, right? And that never really took off.

No, Haven and Hearth is not like Stardew Valley. Not at all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like how every article I've seen on Palia has said "Made by former Riot/Blizzard/Zynga devs!" and then immediately qualified that with "These studios are so large that this is basically meaningless."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

Without looking anything up on Google (or Bing!) I already predict that all the furniture for the house is cash shop.

It'll print money and be predatory as hell. Youtubers will make sensible yet exploitative videos about this and earn ad revenue.

Time moves in cycles. This cycle has been seen before and will be seen again.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DancingShade posted:

Time moves in cycles. This cycle has been seen before and will be seen again.

I’d play a Dark mmo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

1stGear posted:

I like how every article I've seen on Palia has said "Made by former Riot/Blizzard/Zynga devs!" and then immediately qualified that with "These studios are so large that this is basically meaningless."

A lot of the main people are among the first few dozen riot employees fwiw.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

eonwe posted:

also Starbase is coming out on early access on like 6/16 or something? doesn't look remotely ready to me

June 17th, and it very much isn't. I don't think they're even doing a stress test, or if so not for very long.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I pretty much called it that these games would come out of early access the moment they were not longer getting a steady stream of money, and sure enough that appears to be exactly what is happening.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

you only get two or more launches

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jackard posted:

*runs into thread, panting*

did someone say basebuilding mmo??

Dual Universe isn't terrible.

Kaysette